The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flashback, NEW "Back In Time Record Button" Pro Tools Plug-in DAW Software
Old 30th March 2007
Here for the gear

Flashback, NEW "Back In Time Record Button" Pro Tools Plug-in

Synaptricity Press Release - For Immediate Release

Synaptricity Announces Flashback Plug-in

Chicago, Illinois (March 30, 2007) – Synaptricity™ is pleased to announce its new RTAS/AudioSuite Pro Tools® plug-in, Flashback™ 1.0 for Macintosh. Flashback 1.0 has been shipping at www.synaptricity.com since February, 2007.

Flashback, the revolutionary new “Back In Time Record Button™”, turns the traditional click-then-perform audio capture paradigm on its ear, essentially reversing it to one of perform-then-click. Flashback allows the Pro Tools user to capture all incoming audio on a track or master fader in a session and “record” and print it after it has occurred. Flashback opens up a whole new world of empowering possibilities for artists, engineers, and producers alike in the studio and on the road.

Recording artists can now be relieved of “record button anxiety”, performing in an environment no longer dominated by the rigidity of formal “takes”. Engineers and producers can live without “audio capture anxiety”, free from the fear that the Record button was not pressed in time, or that the Pro Tools’ transport might stop due to a resource issue during a performance. The sample artist can gather samples and source material after the fact, never missing that perfect sound source opportunity again.

Using its RAM-based buffer, Flashback faithfully captures all incoming audio on a track and/or master fader into your computer’s memory during the entire life of a session, independent of Pro Tools’ transport. The user may then at any time “freeze” the buffer and save the selected audio via the AudioSuite version of Flashback. Meanwhile, using its dual streaming/frozen switchover architecture, Flashback continues capturing all new incoming audio, never missing a sample between freeze events. Once the streaming buffer is filled (which may be sized between 1 and 15 minutes by the user) the spillover design lets older audio spill out while Flashback continues tracking all new audio.

Flashback is built upon a solid, CPU-efficient algorithm and buffer architecture. It is RAM-intensive, as all incoming audio is stored at the true sample rate and bit depth in core memory. But once running, Flashback is a lightweight process for your host CPU. Flashback operates in both mono and stereo modes, and supports all sample rates from 44.1kHz to 192kHz. It is truly unique in its design, linking the real-time capability of RTAS and track-writing operations of AudioSuite.

Flashback 1.0 for Macintosh is currently available at Synaptricity’s web store at www.synaptricity.com. Flashback requires a registered iLok and is compatible with Digidesign® Pro Tools 7.x on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macintoshes. Flashback for Windows is scheduled for later release.

About Synaptricity
Synaptricity, Inc. is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. Synaptricity's mission is to empower the audio production world by bringing to them classic – as well as never before heard or experienced – sounds, effects, and studio capabilities, through our original, intuitive audio products. Synaptricity is a Digidesign Development Partner.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

I saw this a couple of weeks back but thought it was old news and just a plug-in I missed so I didn't write about it on protoolerblog. Sorry for that! It's a sweet feature we don't have in Pro Tools. I really encourage those kind of plug-ins that simply add features that would be nice to have in the software. Keep up the good work! I'll of course post this press release now.
Old 1st April 2007
Lives for gear

Is this really that revolutionary? Cubase and Nuendo have had this feature for since SX was released. It's certainly saved my butt a few times. It allows you to be super lazy with punch-ins. heh

Brad
Old 1st April 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Do we really need a plug to do this? I was trained to keep the tape rolling....
Old 1st April 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Is this really that revolutionary? Cubase and Nuendo have had this feature for since SX was released. It's certainly saved my butt a few times. It allows you to be super lazy with punch-ins. heh

Brad
When in quickpunch mode, PT will automatically record somewhere around 30 seconds of audio prior to actually punching in (it might be more or less, I don't remember the exact amount).

Although this is not the same as this plug-ins feature, it is still a very handy feature. There have been several times that I have started recording a little too late, and all I have to do is pull back the waveform for the pre-captured audio.

Is this the same as in Nuendo and Cubase? Or do they actually have a feature that is recording at all times as in the case of the featured plug-in?

Moses
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmoses View Post
When in quickpunch mode, PT will automatically record somewhere around 30 seconds of audio prior to actually punching in (it might be more or less, I don't remember the exact amount).

Moses
Yep, quickpunch mode has saved my ass quite a few times..... It would be nice to have this kind of plugin in PT though....
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmoses View Post
Quickpunch is always recording, from the moment you hit Play.

Interesting plug-in...
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Nut

Anybody used this yet? Am i correct in thinking this can "freeze" tracks, ie play an instrument track with this plug on, click a button and there's your audio file? Multiple instances at once maybe?
Old 25th October 2007
Here for the gear

Flashback

Hi, this is Jack from Synaptricity.

People are using it! It is currently for sale at www.digidesign.com and Synaptricity.

The way Flashback works: you put it on any number of tracks (the number of instances is limited only by the amount of RAM you have installed and how big you make the buffers) and set the buffer size from 1 to 15 minutes. Once set, it sits unobtrusively in the background, faithfully streaming all audio on that (or those) track(s) into RAM. When something happens you wanna save, you hit the Freeze button AFTER it happens and then use the AudioSuite version to write the contents to a PT track. You decide after you hear something to save it - up to 15 minutes later. Simple, but very powerful, if you think about it.

Check out the summer 2007 DigiZine Product Centerfold review of Flashback from Joe Gore at: Digidesign | News | DigiZine& on page 39.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm happy to help.

Jack
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thoms View Post
Anybody used this yet? Am i correct in thinking this can "freeze" tracks, ie play an instrument track with this plug on, click a button and there's your audio file? Multiple instances at once maybe?

Kevin -

Yeah you can use it that way. You could put one on each track you want to freeze, play, paste out the audio to the track and then bypass the plug-ins. Viola, 'frozen' synth track. If you're running more than one at a time you just have to make sure you have the correct one active when you do tha pasting so the AS process knows which plug-in to grab the audio from.

-Yosh!
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi View Post
Quickpunch is always recording, from the moment you hit Play.

Interesting plug-in...

I'm using it and the key is that it's always recording,
*before* you hit play.

It's saved a few takes, but I've found it's more useful as a compositional tool. Set the buffer to 10 minutes and start improvising. Instead of having to stop and try to remember all of what I was doing I have it all right there.

Also, unlike hitting record first, I don't have the 2 hours of junk to sort through. Only the stuff that was worth it for me to stop and make a point of saving.

-Yosh!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search