Toontrack announces Superior Drummer 3 - Page 37 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toontrack announces Superior Drummer 3
Old 27th January 2019 | Show parent
Although it obviously costs more $$$.
I think the idea is that you don't pin all your expectations on the core library.
There are multiple expansion packs. Many are designed for certain applications and styles of drumming/music.
The core library is designed to be middle of the road, appeal to most people.
If you have specific needs you have to research the expansion packs (SDX).
Many if not all the SDXs are often discounted at various retailers.
They just announced an Al Schmidt SDX yesterday.
Show replies
Old 27th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega67 View Post
I had high expectations in SD3, so I bought it although no demo version was available.
I am pretty much familiar with drum plug ins, I have or have had AD2, NI Studio/Abbey Road, Battery, Maschine etc. and work with them on a daily basis for clients.
I think the whole concept of SD3 with its mixer, groove section is pretty awesome. The quality of the samples is great, maybe the best so far.

But: I just cannot use it in my (pop/rock/dance) productions.

- most of the snares are ringing like crazy, it takes major eq-ing to get over it.
- most of the kicks have a ridiculous sustain/decay.
- (ALL !!) OH and ambience mics introduce a hall/cathedral kind of reverb
- the hits somehow lack impact.

I can work around some of these issues by using the envelope generator, eq and compression. But honestly, I do not see the point to spend time on solving conceptual problems before getting into my workflow.

I spent hours to get this thing working for me and cannot but shake my head.
The grooves are fantastic - I use them with AD2 now. IMHO.
I have yet to use the stock SD3 kits on a single track because of all the things you mention, mostly the cartoonish level of cathedral ambience.

The tricks mentioned above are indeed helpful but I just use other libraries rather than fight the Massenburg/cathedral sound from the get-go. It was an odd choice to track the stock library in that room in my opinion.
Show replies
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

"Al Schmitt is a beast and that's all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump

https://www.toontrack.com/al-schmitt-sdx-announcement/
Show replies
Old 2nd May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Can't wait for this SDX. Love the previewed audio tracks .... mallets and brushes, too!
Show replies
Old 2nd May 2019 | Show parent
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
Can't wait for this SDX. Love the previewed audio tracks .... mallets and brushes, too!
While I like some aspects of the factory library, e.g. silky-smooth cymbals, Bob Rock and Al Schmidt SDX libraries really round out the product. Moving from NI Abbey Road drums, I look forward to having brushes and more vintage kits in SD3.

Sky
Show replies
Old 30th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

What's Black Friday normally like around the toontrack store ?

My son wants SD3 for Xmas so I am wondering if I should wait ?

I would also like decades for myself and hoping Black Friday will prevail
Show replies
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Addict

They do tend to have sales, including Black Friday .... but usually not on newer products. Superior Drummer 3 is old enough that they might discount it .... or maybe do a special bundle deal on SD3 and Decades (buy SD3, get a SDX for x% off). I hope so, for your sake!
Show replies
Old 1st October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Thanks stonelark me too
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post

I think the most likely thing would be some free SDX packs. I can't see them reducing SD3 by much if they do. I hope they do mind as I would really like to crossgrade from EZDrummer2 myself.

Edit: Last year if I recollect they were offering sales on EZMix and EZKeys range.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:

They never discount the 'good' SDXs. Before Custom Shop and Decades I was waiting to grab the Bob Rock SDX (for the Ludwigs) in a sale. It's still never been on sale and it's what, 2 years old? I also want to grab the UK Pop EZX and they typically exclude that from sales, even when the rest are on sale.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
They never discount the 'good' SDXs. Before Custom Shop and Decades I was waiting to grab the Bob Rock SDX (for the Ludwigs) in a sale. It's still never been on sale and it's what, 2 years old? I also want to grab the UK Pop EZX and they typically exclude that from sales, even when the rest are on sale.
Thanks for the info Ragan.
Show replies
Old 1st November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think the sales for Toontrack have started and it's looking like SDX 40% reductions only not Superior Drummer 3 itself. Also Decades SDX doesn't look like it will be one that's on offer unfortunately.
Show replies
Old 1st November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

There are some pretty good SDXs on sale for 40% off. I don't think I've ever seen anything discounted more than that.

However, as already mentioned, there's no way that a brand new SDX (in this case Decades) is going to be offered at a discount.
Show replies
Old 2nd November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
There are some pretty good SDXs on sale for 40% off. I don't think I've ever seen anything discounted more than that.

However, as already mentioned, there's no way that a brand new SDX (in this case Decades) is going to be offered at a discount.
Yeah agreed. I was kind of hoping to get a sale on a crossgrade from EZ Drummer 2 to SD3 though since SD3 has been out a couple of years now.
Show replies
Old 2nd November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

it’s like deep down they know what people actually like. The organic sounding, punchy fat drums never go on sale. I mean how long has UK Pop been out? Custom Shop? How many years does it take for something to go on sale?

But the ocean of pingy, clicky metal drums? Sure! On sale now!

The good stuff probably just sells well enough on its own. As well it should. I just always go over the site when their Big Mega Anniversary Black Friday Month Emporium whatevers happen and it’s always the same like 4 expansions that I actually want that are excluded...year after year after year.

Oh well. The stuff is good. They got us where they want us and don’t have to do real sales. And frankly, the more years go by, the easier it becomes to scoop the licenses up on the used market.
Show replies
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Some of the libraries are created with top engineers or players so it might be that they contractually can’t discount them.
Show replies
Old 18th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Owner of SD2, should i go SD3 now or AD2?
Show replies
Old 18th November 2019
I've never really found a sound I was looking for with SD3 until recently, I always overlooked the metal packs as I'm not into Metal at all. But I like dryer hard-hitting modern rock drums, I've attached my recent chain, loving the punch it gives, currently on sale also.
https://www.toontrack.com/product/metal-machinery-sdx/
Show replies
Attached Files

metal-machinery-sdx.mp3 (2.08 MB, 1997 views)

Old 18th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenozeno View Post
Owner of SD2, should i go SD3 now or AD2?
SD3. Minimal learning curve, and you can use your existing libraries.
Show replies
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

What I particularly like about the SD3 is the editing abilities.

You tap or paste a basic drum rhythm, and SD3 will find the loops that match (percentages) with that in the loops libraries you have.

Press a button, and it will give you a selection of loops for the whole song.
Edit this like you edit in midi. But unlike your DAW, SD3 is optimized for drum editing. I just keep the whole drum track inside SD3 for that reason.
Show replies
Old 19th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
What I particularly like about the SD3 is the editing abilities.

You tap or paste a basic drum rhythm, and SD3 will find the loops that match (percentages) with that in the loops libraries you have.

Press a button, and it will give you a selection of loops for the whole song.
Edit this like you edit in midi. But unlike your DAW, SD3 is optimized for drum editing. I just keep the whole drum track inside SD3 for that reason.
Yeah that's a big advantage over EZ Drummer 2 - in EZ Drummer 2 you have to take the MIDI out in to your DAW to edit.
Show replies
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
I've never really found a sound I was looking for with SD3 until recently, I always overlooked the metal packs as I'm not into Metal at all. But I like dryer hard-hitting modern rock drums, I've attached my recent chain, loving the punch it gives, currently on sale also.
https://www.toontrack.com/product/metal-machinery-sdx/
I have that SDX. Is that just one of its built-in presets, or can you post your user preset?
Show replies
Old 20th November 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexmaw View Post
I have that SDX. Is that just one of its built-in presets, or can you post your user preset?
Its one I made but not much good to anyone as I'm using a ton of plugins post and in multi, But I wanted to show that the Metal Kits can be used very well in other genres. I was using the TAMA kit
Show replies
Old 2nd February 2020
Gear Maniac
I know I'm new to the party, but these sound amazing!
I'm doing an indie project at the moment and the Indie SDX is astonishing!
How are you liking these after using them some time?

Ale
Show replies
Old 5th February 2020
I tend to like SD more and more over time, largely due to the fact that their libraries keep getting better, but also because I keep finding new things that it can do, or easier methods than I'd originally found. They're at the top of the game and only expanding their lead.
Show replies
Old 5th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Yes, I'm still in the honey moon period, but it's the closets I've ever heard to hiring someone to play ...
I'm stunned!
Show replies
Old 6th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

SD3 (and my V Drums) continue to be one of the most revolutionizing things I've ever done for my recording life.
Show replies
Old 6th February 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
SD3 (and my V Drums) continue to be one of the most revolutionizing things I've ever done for my recording life.
Did you have to adjust the MIDI velocity curves to get your v-drums to feel right with superior? I felt that they were pretty close from the get-go, needing only a slight adjustment in the middle range of some of the triggers. And once you get that feel dialed-in (and load up Decades in particular) it's like you're playing an outstanding kit in a top room. A great thing, indeed.
Show replies
Old 7th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Did you have to adjust the MIDI velocity curves to get your v-drums to feel right with superior? I felt that they were pretty close from the get-go, needing only a slight adjustment in the middle range of some of the triggers. And once you get that feel dialed-in (and load up Decades in particular) it's like you're playing an outstanding kit in a top room. A great thing, indeed.
With the preset for my kit (Roland TD-25KV) I don't have to mess with much in SD3. I'll usually have a few weird hits that I'll go finesse a little bit (like hi-hats partially open or an oddly high velocity snare hit here or there) but for the most part it's a nice translation of the way I played. But I also instinctively play a little different when I'm playing V Drums and going into SD3. Without even meaning to, after working with the setup a lot you just kinda develop a sense of how you want SD3 to respond and subconsciously knowing how to play to make that happen. The biggest downside in my setup is I can't run my machine at like 32 buffer, which is what it would take for me to monitor the SD3 sounds. So I just monitor the onboard Roland sounds when I'm tracking. Not as cool as listening to SD3 sonics of course but it works. My next machine I plan to crank that buffer down and monitor SD3.
Show replies
Old 12th May 2020
Gear Head

After many years I'm ready to jump ship on BFD. It's slowing down my workflow.
I've decided against Addictive Drums.
But do any of you SD3 users have any opinions/experience on MODO Drums?
Thanks!
Show replies
📝 Reply