The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom LiveTrak L-12 Digital Mixer and Multitrack Recorder
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepaca View Post
I got one from Sweetwater. I have not tested it out yet. It is made entirely of plastic and is light. It seems sturdy though. If it sounds as good as my F8 I'll be very happy, particularly at that price.
Have you had a chance to test it yet?
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Nut

Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

I really like the Zoom R8, although I have more expensive gear and interfaces. They've put a lot of good ideas into this new Livetrak like the 5 headphone outputs with individual mixes etc. And if the mic preamps are even better than the ones on the R8 and the U-44 I feel tempted.

Why do people think that balance inputs are so important?

The only thing I'm missing and I've missed it on the R8, too, is Midi!
Old 18th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
Have you had a chance to test it yet?
I recorded a jazz quartet last night and it worked flawlessly. I ran a total of 9 channels I used 7 of the mic preamps and ran the room mics through a tascam DR-100mk3 recorder and line in on channels 9-10 which records a stereo track. I am only using it as a recorder and personal headphone mixer. I am not sending the mix to the house or anywhere else. The preamps are quiet and clean. For my intended purpose it is incredibly easy to use.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Good to read. Do you think it would make a good tracking device for raw material that a pro mix engineer wouldn't scoff at (at least from a sound quality standpoint)?
This machine looks like an obviously great product idea, but there aren't enough user reviews so far, so any and all users, please step forward with your opinions.

Thanks,
SD
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
Good to read. Do you think it would make a good tracking device for raw material that a pro mix engineer wouldn't scoff at (at least from a sound quality standpoint)?
This machine looks like an obviously great product idea, but there aren't enough user reviews so far, so any and all users, please step forward with your opinions.

Thanks,
SD
My big rig is 2 True Systems Precision 8 preamps into an Apogee ad-16x or Joeco or both for redundancy. I brought the Zoom to a paid jazz quartet gig and was completely satisfied with the results. It sounds way better than a $600 all in one has any right to sound. Yes, a mixing engineer would have plenty to work with. That said, if I was recording a classical string quartet in an amazing hall I would probably use a different rig. I'm not saying this wouldn't work fine but I would probably bring a high end rig for my own peace of mind.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepaca View Post
My big rig is 2 True Systems Precision 8 preamps into an Apogee ad-16x or Joeco or both for redundancy. I brought the Zoom to a paid jazz quartet gig and was completely satisfied with the results. It sounds way better than a $600 all in one has any right to sound. Yes, a mixing engineer would have plenty to work with. That said, if I was recording a classical string quartet in an amazing hall I would probably use a different rig. I'm not saying this wouldn't work fine but I would probably bring a high end rig for my own peace of mind.
Phew... I was just able to evade a bothersome string quartet chewing my ear off to come and record them, praise Bach's wig!

On a more serious seminote, this is reassuring, thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'll be checking one out once they're in stock at the nearest store.

SD.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Nut

I wonder how this compares to something like the Yamaha MG 12 XU ... in terms of sound quality, versatility, FX, portability etc.
Old 12th December 2017
Mic Pres

My Yamaha 4416, Mac & Studio One is in a much bigger studio. I record drums for the occasional simple demo & backing tracks at my home studio. My concern is does anyone have experience with the Zoom L-12 pres'? Bigger question is would you choose PreSonus pres? I would welcome feedback on PreSonus ar16 mixers Vs Zoom?
Old 13th December 2017
My Yamaha 4416, Mac & Studio One is in a larger studio. I record drums & guitar for simple demos at my home studio. It's low budget so does anyone have experience with the Zoom L-12 pres'? Bigger question is would you choose PreSonus pres? I would welcome feedback on PreSonus ar16 mixers Vs Zoom?
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear
did anyone using this live and is it reliable?
i remember R16 when recording and pressing stop the sound goes off for few seconds, i bet this is not the case of livetrak

any experience is welcome
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

Yes the Livetrak does pause for a few seconds when you press Stop at the end of a take, just like the R16.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
Yes the Livetrak does pause for a few seconds when you press Stop at the end of a take, just like the R16.
eeeh this is scary
i had the r16 doing this in the studio because the sd card had some problem, and it made me too scary to use it live
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

It can be a little bit annoying but I've done hundreds of takes and it has always been fine.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
It can be a little bit annoying but I've done hundreds of takes and it has always been fine.
thank peller

how long were the takes? my idea was to use for a 1 hour live set but so scary about that sd thing
i have a tascam sd32 that doesn't have the annoying thing, but indeed is not so good as tascam for live use, no routing, nothing
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

I've done hour long takes on the R16 and it has been fine. Didn't try anything that long on the L12 yet but I'd be confident. You could always use it simultaneously with a computer plugged in for redundancy.
Old 22nd May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglide View Post
Zoom L-12 has metronome but no dedicated 1/4" TRS mic preamp bypass for external preamps
Presonus AR12 has dedicated 1/4" TRS for eternal preamps top bypass onboard mic preamps but no metronome

I want to record acoustic guitar with ribbon mics and external preamp without the noise of the computer
these sd recorders have no moving parts (fans) so they are silent ...

does anyone make one with a mic preamp bypass, metronome in 24bit so I can transfer to DAW but have option of quiet recording and room choice without being stuck to computer???
"I want to record acoustic guitar with ribbon mics and external preamp..."

Same here! However, dont you find you get a problem with delay when you are overdubbing when using external pre with a digital recorder??

I have this problem. I use a Zoom H4n. When overdubbing using the built in pres there is no problem, no noticeable delay.

But when I try to record through external preamp (Stam 1073) I get intolerable delay. The delay is apparently caused buy the time it takes the analog signal to go through the 1073 and into the Zoom.

For this reason some recorders have adjustable delay compensation. For example the Mix pre series from Sound Devices and Tascams little R44.

This Zoom L12 does not seem to have this feature, which is a shame since they will lose every customer that use analog outbord equippment. Delay compensation is also useful for camera people because of the delay many cameras create when writing data to storage media.

I would request that some company make a product like Zoom L12 but with daly compensation. There is a function called latency compensation in the manual but this seems to be an automatic function that is supposed to correct latency within the Zoom itself (the A/D converters etc). This is probably unecessery because digital recorders are regarded as having very low latency that are almost never noticable, see

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/living-latency
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

I wonder how good are the Headphone outputs converters? As good as the Master Out converter?
If using the Headphone outs as Aux sends? That would be another stage of DA conversion after all, and then you´d be returning in again on channels for another AD stage.

I am guessing the converters are pretty good (nowdays even on cheap devices...), buuuuut, the what about the analogue output stage (read Headphone Amp!) stage? How good is that? Is it as clean&clear as the Main Outs stage? Or is it some middle of the road cheap headphone output that muffles and colours the signal?

Maybe someone test this by running the same, complex material (stereo full mix with good bass and sparkly highs!) file out and in again (loopback) first of the Main Outs and then put of one of the Headphone outs, maybe posting the results? Would be killer!
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

At this price point simply using it as a glorified headphone mixer (with 5 separate custom cue sends to boot), it's a steal. Cannot believe the value in this thing (and even harder to believe are all of the complaints given this thing can now be had for under 500€.

Cdlt
📝 Reply