The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows Desk4: AU, Mac and PC VST Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Addict

Neumann 473

These presets are based around the Neumann U473 Compressor.

The original is a VCA comp, but I figured Pressure4 could handle the faster release-settings pretty good so I decided to post them. You can cover a lot of ground with them in combination with the preamp (to me, there is a pretty good sweet spot around 0.15-0.20 on 'Pressure').

Attached Files
File Type: zip Neumann 473.zip (2.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
These presets are based around the Neumann U473 Compressor.

The original is a VCA comp, but I figured Pressure4 could handle the faster release-settings pretty good so I decided to post them. You can cover a lot of ground with them in combination with the preamp (to me, there is a pretty good sweet spot around 0.15-0.20 on 'Pressure').

Just placed this before TDR Kotelnikov compressor + some DECCA stuff and got very nice texture on a vocal track. Some times, during certain productions things can get a bit aimless ( as in, I don't know what I'm looking for but I will know it when I hear it..) and trying things out can really be very gratifying. Thank you!
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

@Deff J: Thanks so much for these presets. I was just turned on to them last night and I'm blown away.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear

I just wanted to share this with everyone.

Part of the analogue mojo is that with a stereo device like the Black Box Analog Design HG-2, both sides are not perfectly the same with the hardware, but with the plugin they are and that takes away from the mojo. Tubes are never going to be the same and those variances on each side actually result in something sonically desirable. So one guy slightly tweaked an EQ before it to be different on both sides and it restores that analog anomaly.

So I did something similar, but with mid-side. I instantiated Desk4 in Dual Mono (Logic) and set it to mid-side. Then I used different models for the mid and side and it makes for a difference that results in a more analog feel. It was quite stunning actually. And of course you can combine any two you fancy. The possibilities are endless. In my case, for mastering, I used:

Mid - UTC A-22 Transformers
Side - Manley Vari-Mu Pre

Let me know if anyone else finds this useful.
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Addict

Frequency Specific Mixing Saturations

These are inspired by the idea (mentioned in a recent thread here at gearslutz) that a good, well-balanced saturation first in your plugin chain potentially means less processing for the plugins you use after it (eq, comp, etc).

This got me thinking about whether you could actually make a song using only Desk4-saturations. Or atleast get close to something that sounds really good without using comps and eq's everywhere. I havent yet finished a song ( I never do), but from the testing i've done they sound pretty good individually and together.

For individual channels there are channels I-IV and they range from the highs down to the lows.

To get all these saturated channels to 'marry'; i.e. glue together into a cohesive, stabile whole - i've also made a few hardware-inspired 'colors' for the masterbus. These colors can probably be used wherever subtle glue, drive, dimension are required.

And finally; to get rid of mud/flab or to enhance fullness/dimension i've also made a couple of 'Trim-Enhance'-saturations to be used after the above channel/color-saturations.

Channel I-IV
Hi = saturated highs, breathy lows
Himid = saturated highmids
Mid = general wide mid frequency saturation
Lomid = saturated lowmids
Lo = saturated lows, breathy highs

Color:
A = inspired by Api
CT = Custom tube. A favourite.
N = inspired by Neve
S = inspired by modern SSL.

Trim-Enhance:
I = tighten, demud
II = tighten, enhance

Attached Files
Old 5th August 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks @Deff J!

There's been a lot of buzz about Kazrog's new True Iron plugin. I did my best to match those two transformers in Desk4, with the Drive on Kazrog set to 7. I did it as a mid-side preset in Logic. Here are the settings. The mid is the Malotki and the side is the UTC.

Let me know if anyone thinks they are close.
Attached Thumbnails
Airwindows Desk4: AU, Mac and PC VST-screen-shot-2018-08-05-3.45.34-pm.png   Airwindows Desk4: AU, Mac and PC VST-screen-shot-2018-08-05-3.45.44-pm.png  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Desk4 presets for Airwindows Purest Console

Meanwhile...

Anyone here using Purest Console?

Desk4 can - as you know - be used as a replacement for 'Purest Console Channel' (as long as 'Output T' is set to 0.839999)...and in combination with 'Purest Console Buss' Desk4 will give you a console summing effect plus console saturation (which is rather realistic to my ears).

Put these Desk4-presets last on every track instead of Purest Channel. Purest Buss on the Masterbus. I recommend putting them there from the start before using other plugins.

First up SSL 4000E:

Overdriv: 0.270000
Hi Choke: 0.048000
Power Sa: 0.052000
Frequenc: 0.732999
Output T: 0.839999
Dry/Wet: 1.000000

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Neve-DPA (Airwindows Console-ready):

Hi Choke: 0.082999
Power Sa: 0.079000
Frequenc: 0.538999
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

DIY-Bayou (Airwindows Console-ready):

Hi Choke: 0.012000
Power Sa: 0.123999
Frequenc: 0.629999

Low frequency focus!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

DIY-Skyroof (Airwindows Console-ready):

Hi Choke: 0.004999
Power Sa: 0.085000
Frequenc: 0.879000

This is one of my goto's. It does something beautiful to higher frequencies, but still let's things breathe. Quite the opposite from the one above.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I didn't think any Consoles past Console4 could be used with Desk4. Is this something you learned yourself Deff J or did I miss something somewhere? Am I right in thinking that with the output and dry/wet settings left as they are in your file, the overdrive, hi-choke and powersag could be dialed in to taste?

After a while I was finding purestconsole a bit too subtle and prefer console5 + atmosphere when I do use them, so this could be cool as I really like Desk4 used subtly across many channels, it's cumulative vibe is very nice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I did not learn it myself, just took it for granted. But maybe you're right, and I've fallen victim of placebo...but I'm pretty sure I can hear Purest Console Buss do it's magic in combo with Desk4 (with the right settings).
Old 1 week ago
Airwindows

Quote:
I did not learn it myself, just took it for granted. But maybe you're right, and I've fallen victim of placebo...but I'm pretty sure I can hear Purest Console Buss do it's magic in combo with Desk4 (with the right settings).
All that'll happen if it's set up 'wrong' is that it won't cancel out properly, so it'll create a sound.

If you're fine with applying an overall sound to things and you're liking what that is, you're golden. When I say versions of Console are 'meant to' go with other sorts of Console, I mean 'so you can get very clean, correct output, up to and including bit-identical unaltered output for single channels feeding PurestConsole'.

It's always okay to do something different. You'll just get results that have an overall sound applied, not counting what Console already does.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

So is the default preset (for example) of Desk4 fully compatible with Purest Console?
Old 1 week ago
Airwindows

Quote:
So is the default preset (for example) of Desk4 fully compatible with Purest Console?
Of course not, but nothing terrible happens. It just doesn't restore the sound to 'untouched' like PurestConsoleChannel into PurestConsoleBuss does.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Ok, thanks Chris
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
DIY-Skyroof (Airwindows Console-ready):

Hi Choke: 0.004999
Power Sa: 0.085000
Frequenc: 0.879000

This is one of my goto's. It does something beautiful to higher frequencies, but still let's things breathe. Quite the opposite from the one above.
Deff J, any chance to upload a preset? I can't type in the numbers into the GUI in reaper and moving the sliders, trying to hit the target requires sniper like skills.
Thank you
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Sure...
Attached Files
File Type: zip DIY-Skyroof.zip (224 Bytes, 10 views) File Type: zip DIY-Bayou.zip (220 Bytes, 8 views) File Type: zip Neve-DPA.zip (218 Bytes, 8 views) File Type: zip SSL-4000E.zip (220 Bytes, 8 views)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Fantastic! Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

DIY-JapaneseMaple (Airwindows Console-ready):

Hi Choke: 0.029999
Power Sa: 0.115999
Frequenc: 0.711000

Colorful and tight. Like a bonsai.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DIY-JapaneseMaple.zip (236 Bytes, 7 views)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks DJ for many presets!

What gain staging do you guys use to desk? I think desk4 has threshold of different saturation behaviour at around -17dBFS RMS. to my taste, really lower input( lower than -36dBFS RMS) sounds good. I haven't concluded it yet though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search