The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HoRNet TAPE PLUG IN
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Thank you very much guys I'm really happy I've been able to make a plugin that helps so many people to get a sound they like. I've already scheduled a 1.1 release that will add a hiss level knob so that you can dial the amount you want.

Thank you one more time and keep sending suggestions, they are really appreciated.

Saverio
Great to hear! Do you think it would benefit from oversampling as an optional feature too, or is aliasing not a concern? I haven't tested for aliasing personally.

You make great stuff at great prices - and I love how the downloads come as pre-packaged dll's ready to drop into your VST folders... no cumbersome licensing apps etc. You work hard and I hope you make a living off this. Happy to support you!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I've noticed with house and electronic drums Hornet Tape loses some of the punch. Both 15 and 30 ips seem to suffer from that, 15ips especially. Compared to i.e. VTM that keeps more punch of kickdrums, snares and hats.

So in a way i like what Hornet Tape does on my drumgroup, but i'd like to keep some punchyness transparent.

Also, would it be possible to add a mode that sits between 15 and 30 ips? Sometimes i feel 15ips is just too much glueing/sustaining low frequencies, and 30ips just too little.

Would a Wet/dry knob be possible?

This is a great plugin and i love it btw.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Wet/Dry mix would be fantastic for parallel! Great for mastering. Though technically you can put it on an Aux and run channels through it at whatever mix ratio you like.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
Great to hear! Do you think it would benefit from oversampling as an optional feature too, or is aliasing not a concern? I haven't tested for aliasing personally.

You make great stuff at great prices - and I love how the downloads come as pre-packaged dll's ready to drop into your VST folders... no cumbersome licensing apps etc. You work hard and I hope you make a living off this. Happy to support you!
I thought about adding oversampling, but honestly the generated harmonics are so subtle (unless you really abuse the plugin but in this case your re better off with a real distortion plugin) that for the increased cpu usage it wasn't worth.

Saverio
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If I could choose one feature to add to Tape, it would be to increase or decrease the input by the same amount for all the Tapes in a group simply by using the input control of one instance. Pretty much all the time when I split out say SSD4 or Addictive Drums in to their respective channels (kick, snare etc) I'm pretty happy with the levels so I don't need to use the autogain functionality of Tape. But I do want to push tape in to a little distortion and fatness by increasing the input of all instances of Tape by 2 or 3dB, or more. If there was a way of linking the inputs of all grouped instances so that I could increase them all by changing just one, that would be awesome. At the moment, I have to do it for each instance of Tape - not a disaster but if they were linked it would be easier to play around with the inputs.

Everything else about Tape is wonderful, this would just be the icing on the cake for me
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
I own most native tape plugins and my favourites are Reelight, Softube Tape and the Glue II setting on Reelbus. Hornet is nice for the price, but Reelight is only about 10$ more expensive at retailers.

Vtm gives me this fake feeling. Satin I don't vibe with, it feels stiff and unorganic. Airwindows is great (3 different tape plugins), but will be greater (to me) once he releases a hiss plugin. The dirt and imperfections are important to me, I grew up listning to 70s jamaican dub...

Waves are ok from what I remember, but too much digital sat color.
how would you compared it to Softube tape, which is one of the best out there right now (I think)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeep View Post
I've noticed with house and electronic drums Hornet Tape loses some of the punch. Both 15 and 30 ips seem to suffer from that, 15ips especially. Compared to i.e. VTM that keeps more punch of kickdrums, snares and hats.

So in a way i like what Hornet Tape does on my drumgroup, but i'd like to keep some punchyness transparent.

Also, would it be possible to add a mode that sits between 15 and 30 ips? Sometimes i feel 15ips is just too much glueing/sustaining low frequencies, and 30ips just too little.

Would a Wet/dry knob be possible?

This is a great plugin and i love it btw.
I actually kind of like the darkness, but I am generally a fan of that smokey, rolled off sound, especially on drums - especially sampled percussion.

So far I have not had a tape emulation that did that in the way I liked, so this one has slotted perfectly into my workflow.

I don't really have any requests, I like the simplicity - the set and forget is nice for my workflow... but to your point, perhaps a pre-filter that could be set to pass the high (or low) frequencies from processing would work for you as well.

IIRC, Cubase's Magneto does that, or something similar.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
.. the set and forget is nice..
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
perhaps a pre-filter that could be set to pass the high (or low) frequencies from processing..
I made a Tape multiband setup in Live the past week. 3 bands with Hornet Tape. This allows even more sound shaping targeting specific frequency ranges. Plus i can bypass certain ranges. Also it's CPU doable on a bus.

A Wet/Dry knob would make things a lot more flexible. The number 1 request for me.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed.

I made a Tape multiband setup in Live the past week. 3 bands with Hornet Tape. This allows even more sound shaping targeting specific frequency ranges. Plus i can bypass certain ranges. Also it's CPU doable on a bus.

A Wet/Dry knob would make things a lot more flexible. The number 1 request for me.
If you already made a multiband with a Live effect rack, you do know you can create a dry/wet rack too, right? If not, there is videos on Youtube
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
If you already made a multiband with a Live effect rack, you do know you can create a dry/wet rack too, right? If not, there is videos on Youtube
Yes i use Wet/Dry racks a lot. Very handy. But sometimes there's problems with time/phase differences when the tracks in the group have different vst effects (latency) on each of them. Some delay here and there can fix it, but it's a hassle.

Doing it a safer way means more Groups and subtracks, and takes more time.
I try to cut back on clicking around

Sorry for the off-topic.

A nice multiband setup with Hornet Tape i'm using now is;
20 to 372Hz - American 2 15 IPS or Swiss 15 IPS
372Hz and up - American 2 30 IPS

Lots of fun switching them all around.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes i use Wet/Dry racks a lot. Very handy. But sometimes there's problems with time/phase differences when the tracks in the group have different vst effects (latency) on each of them. Some delay here and there can fix it, but it's a hassle.

Doing it a safer way means more Groups and subtracks, and takes more time.
I try to cut back on clicking around

Sorry for the off-topic.

A nice multiband setup with Hornet Tape i'm using now is;
20 to 372Hz - American 2 15 IPS or Swiss 15 IPS
372Hz and up - American 2 30 IPS

Lots of fun switching them all around.
You have fixed crossovers?

And yeah, there can be phase problems within effect racks. But with hornet tape it hadn't crossed my mind to use it with dry/wet. I think it's subtle enough to not need this function. I've built several 3 band units like MJUC multiband and other compressors/saturators. Funny thing is....I barely use it haha.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Well, I did not want to agree, but I just came across a moment where I want to slowly fade the tape effect in and the wet/dry knob would have been a lot more efficient than setting up send/return!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Ok I'll take notice, dry/wet knob added to the feature request list!

Saverio
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

could you also add a soft clipper, channel linking, 3 band EQ, asperity control, 2 more tape decks, gain reduction meter and switchable skins?

sorry, couldn't hold back a bit sarcasm here...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
could you also add a soft clipper, channel linking, 3 band EQ, asperity control, 2 more tape decks, gain reduction meter and switchable skins?

sorry, couldn't hold back a bit sarcasm here...
well placed sarcasm.

I am ready to go out on a limb here. I can at least speak for myself. Too many options for everything and everything sounds like everything else. Mix it in "I am not sure if I want this or not, so I will use a bit, a % of it" On every track. At some point I think is the wrong way to go. There are no solid choices.

Strap Hornet Tape on raw and go for the ride. And thats my 2.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Amazing tape sound. My basic wish is the ability to trim the Hiss.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Amazing tape sound. My basic wish is the ability to trim the Hiss.
Yeah this is my only wish at this briliant plugin.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Yeah this is my only wish at this briliant plugin.
An update is scheduled for November with hiss and dry/wet knobs (i just have to make room on the GUI for them )

Saverio
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
An update is scheduled for November with hiss and dry/wet knobs (i just have to make room on the GUI for them )

Saverio

Saverio -- great plug in, great prices, great support and communication -- and thanks for responding to feature requests.

It is a pleasure to support developers like you!

I also agree with someone else who requested both input and output meters (just a switch would be fine). Please consider adding that, too.
Old 14 hours ago
Here for the gear

Just bought it and tried it on few sources.

It's the first time I'm using a tape plugin. It's useful (specially on harsh sources) but I'm still learning how to use it for the best.

Could it be possible to have a short description of each emulation, so we could make a choice with everything we need to know...

Actually, it takes a long time to test each mode on various sources and trying to figure out what it makes... Specially that it responds very differently according to the sources.
Old 4 hours ago
Here for the gear

I inserted Hornet Tape six individual times on the master bus. I used a different deck with each one added. Balanced the input with every new insert so it didn't distort. The sound got very thick sounding in a nice way.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search