The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New SONNOX Dynamic EQ
Old 4th November 2018 | Show parent
  #391
Lives for gear
 
Jesse Skeens's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
I ended up using only Supresser due to the facts you mentioned above. Sometimes I use just two in a row.
Thanks for the update. There's a discount if you get both so will probably do that. Was mainly interested in the Supresser but once I demoed the Dynamic EQ I wanted that too, great sound. One of the smoothest EQs I've heard.

The GUI of Supresser is excellent though for that task and seems to have enough different features as discussed to warrant purchasing too.

I think between both of these I'll have my bases covered.

Makes me wonder if a multiband compressor is even useful anymore. I don't see what it offers over the functions of Dynamic EQ except for soft/hard knee control.
Old 6th June 2020
  #392
Lives for gear
 
ajscent's Avatar
 
this on sale now for 99 for a bit
Old 8th June 2020
  #393
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The 50% off sale is happening at Sonnox so this is the first time I'm trying the dynamic EQ.

Man....This EQ is just fantastic. I'm so glad I missed the last 14 pages discussing the cost of the plug in. For $99 this is a no brainer and might be one of my favorite EQ's now. It feels way more powerful than Fabfilter's ProQ3 in dynamic mode.
Old 8th June 2020 | Show parent
  #394
Gear Addict
 
4fmb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
The 50% off sale is happening at Sonnox so this is the first time I'm trying the dynamic EQ.

Man....This EQ is just fantastic. I'm so glad I missed the last 14 pages discussing the cost of the plug in. For $99 this is a no brainer and might be one of my favorite EQ's now. It feels way more powerful than Fabfilter's ProQ3 in dynamic mode.
Yeah, I love this Dyn EQ.
Old 8th June 2020 | Show parent
  #395
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
The 50% off sale is happening at Sonnox so this is the first time I'm trying the dynamic EQ.

Man....This EQ is just fantastic. I'm so glad I missed the last 14 pages discussing the cost of the plug in. For $99 this is a no brainer and might be one of my favorite EQ's now. It feels way more powerful than Fabfilter's ProQ3 in dynamic mode.
Does that mean it actually *is* way more powerful than ProQ3 in dynamic mode? Beyond being able to set threshold, compression and Q?
Old 9th June 2020 | Show parent
  #396
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Does that mean it actually *is* way more powerful than ProQ3 in dynamic mode? Beyond being able to set threshold, compression and Q?
You can set Attack and Release times...

And an Onset feature which make it react only to sudden increases in signal level, while ignoring the overall peak level.
Old 9th June 2020
  #397
Lives for gear
 
vze26m98's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Very easy to set out-of-band sidechain, if you can do that at all in Pro-Q3.
Old 9th June 2020
  #398
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Maybe this has been mentioned before...

Correct me if I'm wrong here - but if you turn dynamics down to "0%", you can essentially use this EQ as a standard Oxford EQ with the Type 3 curve but you get the benefit of the updated GUI (minus the lo and hipass). Just use the offset to tweak the gain on a band.

There's just something about the way this EQ sounds that is really special. My hope now is that Sonnox will update the Oxford EQ and have more bands along with this new GUI.
Old 9th June 2020 | Show parent
  #399
Lives for gear
 
vze26m98's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here - but if you turn dynamics down to "0%", you can essentially use this EQ as a standard Oxford EQ
My demo has expired, but from memory, the top and bottom bands are fixed shelves with fixed Q. Might be different in the "non-dynamic" Sonnox EQ?
Old 9th June 2020
  #400
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
It gives you an Oxford with M/S on each band.
Old 9th June 2020 | Show parent
  #401
Lives for gear
 
Jesse Skeens's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Maybe this has been mentioned before...

Correct me if I'm wrong here - but if you turn dynamics down to "0%", you can essentially use this EQ as a standard Oxford EQ with the Type 3 curve but you get the benefit of the updated GUI (minus the lo and hipass). Just use the offset to tweak the gain on a band.

There's just something about the way this EQ sounds that is really special. My hope now is that Sonnox will update the Oxford EQ and have more bands along with this new GUI.
Don't need to use offset, just the Target. Offset only works with dynamics from what I've seen (it's what the level is returned to after reaching Target, but that only happens when Dynamics are on).

Agree it's a great sounding EQ in its own right, something soft/smooth but still present about it.
Old 9th June 2020 | Show parent
  #402
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
My demo has expired, but from memory, the top and bottom bands are fixed shelves with fixed Q. Might be different in the "non-dynamic" Sonnox EQ?
It's fixed Q, yep.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Don't need to use offset, just the Target. Offset only works with dynamics from what I've seen (it's what the level is returned to after reaching Target, but that only happens when Dynamics are on).

Agree it's a great sounding EQ in its own right, something soft/smooth but still present about it.
I think it's reversed, actually! If you turn the dynamics OFF then the offset is the only way to use it as a sort of "hacked Oxford". With dynamics on (at any value) you would need to adjust the target to work. Atleast that's what I'm noticing right now. I'm still trying to learn about how to get the most out of this thing.

The only thing I would've liked to have seen is a "steep bell curve" option so you can notch out tiny resonances. Maybe it's something I missed though. The Q can get pretty tight, but not razor sharp like ProQ, Air EQ or Equilibrium.
Old 10th June 2020
  #403
Lives for gear
 
ajscent's Avatar
 
tried this and it beats the izotope dynamic - prob will buy along with the envolution and drum gate as u get a saving buying 3 plus the 50 per cent off - all three are really good - wouldnt want to pay the full price though as its just a bit much - but yeah - top marks on all of them - that envolution is the best transient thing going - really can transform things
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
  #404
Lives for gear
 
Jesse Skeens's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
It's fixed Q, yep.




I think it's reversed, actually! If you turn the dynamics OFF then the offset is the only way to use it as a sort of "hacked Oxford". With dynamics on (at any value) you would need to adjust the target to work. Atleast that's what I'm noticing right now. I'm still trying to learn about how to get the most out of this thing.

The only thing I would've liked to have seen is a "steep bell curve" option so you can notch out tiny resonances. Maybe it's something I missed though. The Q can get pretty tight, but not razor sharp like ProQ, Air EQ or Equilibrium.
It's weird as it used to work that way for me but when I just tested it worked the way I just wrote. It was in Wavelab so not sure if that affected it. Will try in Cubase.
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
  #405
Lives for gear
 
Jesse Skeens's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Figured it out. If you have the mode set to Above then you use Target, if it's set to Below then you use Offset.
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
  #406
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Figured it out. If you have the mode set to Above then you use Target, if it's set to Below then you use Offset.
Very good to know. Thanks!
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
  #407
Lives for gear
 
Benj's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeens View Post
Figured it out. If you have the mode set to Above then you use Target, if it's set to Below then you use Offset.
Depending on your threshold and the loudness of the source, it is possible for the EQ to have moving dynamics unless both target and offset are set to the same value... so I usually set both the same if I want a static EQ. At that point it will not matter if it's in above or below modes.
Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
  #408
Lives for gear
 
stealthbalance's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Anyone know if there's a way to lock the target dynamic round dot together with the normal eq triangle thingy ? That way i can just grab the big target circle and get a great eq sound , then just pull down only the dynamic target round circle to control it dynamically for example.
Very musical dynamic eq , however it seem that if i want to use it first as my main eq first , i have to bring down the round dynamic target circle thingy so i can expose and visually see the triangle thingy and do my eq-ing ... if i don't , then i can't see the triangle for eq-ing at all , and im forced to use the numeric overshoot window below. Just too many steps ... fewer would be nice.
It seems that this is mainly setup to control and dynamic issues first , and after that to compensate for any lost eq.

Last edited by stealthbalance; 11th June 2020 at 09:54 PM..
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
  #409
Gear Maniac
 
RitchieBorg's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
So, the yearly plugin fest of BF deals is here.
I’ve been eyeballing this one since release, thinking about getting this and envolution this time.

I have Multiplicity but sometimes its like getting a spaceship to go buy milk and I need something that I can use across many tracks cpu-wise, which Multiplicity is not... Any love still for this one?
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
  #410
Lives for gear
 
Benj's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBorg View Post
So, the yearly plugin fest of BF deals is here.
I’ve been eyeballing this one since release, thinking about getting this and envolution this time.

I have Multiplicity but sometimes its like getting a spaceship to go buy milk and I need something that I can use across many tracks cpu-wise, which Multiplicity is not... Any love still for this one?
Yeah, I still use Sonnox DynamicEQ and Multiplicity. Sonnox is my goto for de-resonance and dynamic tone shaping. Multiplicity is my favorite de-esser and I love it as an option on the two bus or for more complex fixing. I also use Soothe2 and occasionally DSEQ when things are really messed up but generally when the Sonnox works it can be very natural and invisible sounding. When I purchased it years ago it was more effective and transparent than the 5/6 other dynamic EQs that I tried. The TDR Nova GE is also a very good option with it’s various upgrades over the years, but Sonnox remains my goto.
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
  #411
Gear Maniac
 
RitchieBorg's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
Yeah, I still use Sonnox DynamicEQ and Multiplicity. Sonnox is my goto for de-resonance and dynamic tone shaping. Multiplicity is my favorite de-esser and I love it as an option on the two bus or for more complex fixing. I also use Soothe2 and occasionally DSEQ when things are really messed up but generally when the Sonnox works it can be very natural and invisible sounding. When I purchased it years ago it was more effective and transparent than the 5/6 other dynamic EQs that I tried. The TDR Nova GE is also a very good option with it’s various upgrades over the years, but Sonnox remains my goto.
Thank you for the advice!
In the end i got both Envolution and Dynamic EQ, GREAT tools to get work done!
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
  #412
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBorg View Post
Thank you for the advice!
In the end i got both Envolution and Dynamic EQ, GREAT tools to get work done!
I have been debating whether to pick this one up during the sale. It is a fantastic tool. That said, Nova is absolutely incredible and a fraction of the price. Dammit, tough call.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #413
Here for the gear
 
Still no external sidechain feature on UAD platform?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #414
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Still no external sidechain feature on UAD platform?
No
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 303 views: 39688
Avatar for Strange Leaf
Strange Leaf 30th August 2012
replies: 896 views: 116330
Avatar for Javiramallo
Javiramallo 24th September 2019
replies: 382 views: 47588
Avatar for heavymetalmixer
heavymetalmixer 1 week ago
replies: 67 views: 13101
Avatar for scorpiwoman
scorpiwoman 12th December 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump