The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toneboosters TB Reverb v4
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear
Toneboosters TB Reverb v4

I haven't seen anything on Gearslutz about this new Toneboosters reverb so I thought I'd post. I had the previous version of TB Reverb and didn't like it very much.

But when I demoed this I was surprised that I generally preferred it to several other major name reverbs out there right now. I'm interested in what all you slutz think.

TB Reverb v4
Old 18th June 2017
kdm
Lives for gear
I need to spend more time with comparisons but so far, it seems very good. No brainer for the price.
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Nut

I bought it.
I never had the previous version but this one seems very, very good.
Excellent sound (to my ears), intuitive and easy to tweak and, at the same time, extremely flexible. It even has some features that I haven't seen in other reverbs. I wish it had more presets but, frankly, it's so easy to work with that it's fun to experiment with and to build your own presets.
Don't be fooled by the price. Nowadays some (if not most ...) of the BEST plugins are made by small, genius developers who charge very little (or nothing at all ...). (Klanghelm, TDR, Sonimus, VOS, Valhalla, Kazrog and of course ToneBoosters and several more). Once, I thought I had to pay a lot to get good plugins. Now I feel that more often than not the opposite is true ... the higher the price the more I think "snake oil" :-)
There's some exceptions of course.
But I like to support small, high quality devs.
Sorry, I digress
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMas View Post
I bought it.
I never had the previous version but this one seems very, very good.
Excellent sound (to my ears), intuitive and easy to tweak and, at the same time, extremely flexible. It even has some features that I haven't seen in other reverbs. I wish it had more presets but, frankly, it's so easy to work with that it's fun to experiment with and to build your own presets.
Don't be fooled by the price. Nowadays some (if not most ...) of the BEST plugins are made by small, genius developers who charge very little (or nothing at all ...). (Klanghelm, TDR, Sonimus, VOS, Valhalla, Kazrog and of course ToneBoosters and several more). Once, I thought I had to pay a lot to get good plugins. Now I feel that more often than not the opposite is true ... the higher the price the more I think "snake oil" :-)
There's some exceptions of course.
But I like to support small, high quality devs.
Sorry, I digress
I fully agree. I mixed for years with plug-ins from Toneboosters, Sonimus, Valhalla, TDR and Klanghelm.
I purchased recently some waves plugins because I thought I might miss something. Honestly I have to say, they didn't bring anything new to the table. Many of this 1-man companies have the advantage, that they don't spend a bunch of money in marketing, advertising and paying famous mixing engineers to promote their products. That's why they can offer such good plug-ins for a low price.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Unfortunately ...

Quote:
Please note that the following programs are currently not supported: Apple Final Cut Pro (X), Avid Pro Tools.

Old 18th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
I purchased recently some waves plugins because I thought I might miss something. Honestly I have to say, they didn't bring anything new to the table.
Exactly my experience as well. I've been mixing stuff for 25 years now, and I bought A LOT of plugins over the years, expensive ones too. Usual syndrome, you know it well. But in the last 3-4 years the game changed for me. Completely. I've been blown away by the quality (and the innovativeness) of products by TDR, Klanghelm, Airwindows and others. My mixes improved greatly, because I became more "honest" with myself. Maybe it's because I'm getting old. But almost all my mixes now are based on these kinds of devs. I get better results and I feel good about it, which is a nice bonus.
Just an example. I recently made a very, very careful comparison of tape emus (blind tests, carefully volume-adjusted etc etc etc). I compared something like 8 plugs with different configurations each, for different kinds of music etc. To me (for MY taste and MY ears ...) the clear winner was, almost all over the board, ReelBus, which is 1/10th the price of others in the same bunch. Blind test, mind you. It was another eye opener for me. ReelBus is cheap, it has no marketing pitch, it's kinda ugly to look at, etc etc. But when I decided to stop listening to my wallet, to close my eyes and really, really listen with my ears ... quite a revelation!
Digressing again. Sorry ...
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, I digress
You're welcome Man !
+ 2022 on TB ReelBus and Ferox
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, I agree, too.

Those spinning tape wheels (with other devs) are sooooo annoying !

Maybe next Reverb would be a combination of Reverb and Tape and would be called ReelVerb...
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

$300 plugins are still being cranked out at a pretty good clip. Guess there's still a market. Price and quality share no correlation. None.

Cheers to these clever small developers who are flipping the marketplace on its head. Beating the giants at their own game is a nifty trick.
Old 19th June 2017
kdm
Lives for gear
I did some more comparisons today and TB's reverb is sounding quite good. I won't mention the names, but I have most of the popular high end reverb plugins, and have spent a lot of time comparing them on various sources.

While the best convolution reverbs tend to give a sense of variation in depth with some IRs (halls, stages, etc with a "bloom" in the mids/lows halfway through the late reflection's decay time), TB (and most algorithmic reverbs) tends to decay more linearly, which is fairly typical of algorithmic reverbs. With the frequency decay feature, this can be altered to some degree. (Fabfilter's ProR does this, but suffers from clear filter resonance sweeps when using the envelope on decay. TB's envelope does not have this resonance sweep problem, so I ended up preferring TB over ProR in this instance).

The problem with IR based reverbs is that even in true stereo configurations, they really don't respond to panned source material (likely due to the recording process with the IR or the space itself). You still get a centered stereo late reflection. TB does create a little wider space, without being unnatural.

What is great about TB is it sounds quite good with lower cpu usage than any of the more expensive options (that I have at least). It may not replace the other options completely as each has something unique for certain uses; but it is a great complement to, and competes equally with the best reverb plugins I have, covering cases the others don't do as well (such as creating a more linear decay with frequency dependence; more separation between sources across the stereo field etc).

For $22, it can't be beat.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
I did some more comparisons today and TB's reverb is sounding quite good. I won't mention the names, but I have most of the popular high end reverb plugins, and have spent a lot of time comparing them on various sources.

While the best convolution reverbs tend to give a sense of variation in depth with some IRs (halls, stages, etc with a "bloom" in the mids/lows halfway through the late reflection's decay time), TB (and most algorithmic reverbs) tends to decay more linearly, which is fairly typical of algorithmic reverbs. With the frequency decay feature, this can be altered to some degree. (Fabfilter's ProR does this, but suffers from clear filter resonance sweeps when using the envelope on decay. TB's envelope does not have this resonance sweep problem, so I ended up preferring TB over ProR in this instance).

The problem with IR based reverbs is that even in true stereo configurations, they really don't respond to panned source material (likely due to the recording process with the IR or the space itself). You still get a centered stereo late reflection. TB does create a little wider space, without being unnatural.

What is great about TB is it sounds quite good with lower cpu usage than any of the more expensive options (that I have at least). It may not replace the other options completely as each has something unique for certain uses; but it is a great complement to, and competes equally with the best reverb plugins I have, covering cases the others don't do as well (such as creating a more linear decay with frequency dependence; more separation between sources across the stereo field etc).

As you say, different reverbs bring different qualities to the table and no reverb will be able to do it all. I was pretty skeptical when I first tried this new TB reverb and I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing. It's nice to see that somebody else thinks it's good. After a few more days with it, I like it even more. I've got a lot of the major reverbs and seem to prefer TB Reverb on most things. Also, the interface is very easy to use so I can get what I'm looking for quickly.
Old 19th June 2017
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
After a few more days with it, I like it even more. I've got a lot of the major reverbs and seem to prefer TB Reverb on most things. Also, the interface is very easy to use so I can get what I'm looking for quickly.
Ditto here.

I have been using some great sounding reverbs in my scoring template, but not all work well with every sample library (some are good with percussion, but may be hard to dial in with brass, for example).

This is no slight on the quality of those reverbs - all are still great - but I used a slightly different fx buss approach and was able to create a more flexible version that sounded just as great, and perhaps a little less center-focused (clearer width/sound stage).

Even with my previous template, blending in TB with my existing main hall reverb gave me better depth and dynamic to the mix (both tweaked to complement where they worked best).

I am impressed with this TB reverb. Really great work, and congratulations to the developer!
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ditto here.
This is no slight on the quality of those reverbs - all are still great - but I used a slightly different fx buss approach and was able to create a more flexible version that sounded just as great, and perhaps a little less center-focused (clearer width/sound stage).
Care to share the details of your approach??

Thanks,
prof
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Addict

I like it but find the slow attack on the tail is not always what you want.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Nice to see some love here for TB plug-ins. I have urgently to try the Reverb, as soon I am back from holiday or maybe I can give it a try before on my laptop here, but with some cheapo headphones.

TB's Buscompressor is my secret weapon since years for mastering combined with TDR Kotelnikov. Ferrox is fantastic as well and rounds up beautifully to harsh transients on acoustic guitars a.s.o. Barricade is superb as well. Sometimes I use IK multimedias stealth, sometimes I prefer TB Barricade. Great no-nonsense plugins, clear interfaces, no gimmicks, just great workhorses, so I give this Reverb big changes The old reverb was good but not outstanding, but being included in a 20euro bundle, you can't complain.
Ah, and before I forget: Even having Equalizers costing 6 times of the full TB Bundle, I use TB Equalizer all the time on my channels. Great GUI, low on CPU, mid/side functions on each frequency band a.s.o. things with other developpers promote as "mirrace" are just natural there. Completely underestimated IMO !!

Last edited by soulguitar; 21st June 2017 at 11:16 AM..
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
Completely underestimated IMO !!
Well, since this thread is becoming a general thread about TB products, I would like to mention TB Sibalance as well. Fantastic tool in my opinion, to de-harsh tracks of all kind, not just another de-esser. To my ears it sounds at least as good as the super-popular Soothe (if not better, in some cases), but it is more flexible (admittedly, a little bit more complicated to set up, but it can do so many more things ...) and, most of all, it costs something like 1/7th of Soothe, more or less.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, since this thread is becoming a general thread about TB products, I would like to mention TB Sibalance as well. Fantastic tool in my opinion, to de-harsh tracks of all kind, not just another de-esser. To my ears it sounds at least as good as the super-popular Soothe (if not better, in some cases), but it is more flexible (admittedly, a little bit more complicated to set up, but it can do so many more things ...) and, most of all, it costs something like 1/7th of Soothe, more or less.
Thanks for the tip, good to know
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

This thing sounds absolutely lush, and is a great alternative to Valhalla Room. I don't know how much changed code-wise but v3 to v4 felt like a hug jump in sound quality.
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Guru
I completely agree about Reelbus. The first time I heard it my first reaction was, wow that sounds like tape......Great company!
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear
They added a new shimmer algorithm to it now. Any one compare this to the big players like Valhalla, Sonnox, Relab and Lexicon?
Old 29th July 2017
Lives for gear

delay = predelay? going to get it.
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was that introductory price? Or do they have extra gouging low price promotions? Lately my financial limiter is true brickwall

But Gawd, the sound of this gem... the functionality... true creatve possibilities - this is without a doubt the best value for an algo reverb in the world

Last edited by JoeyM; 26th October 2017 at 03:09 AM..
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

I bought ToneBoosters TrackEssentials 3 yesterday and learned a thing or two since then...

1. Surprise, now that I've bought that ($23.44 USD) bundle, everything from now on is 50% off! It's not even a special; they roll that way. So to add Reverb 4 will cost me $17.58 USD more!

I've already demoed them for a month now and there's very little not to like, maybe the EQ could use to change Mid/Side with a right-click on the handle, but the other effects are real useful.

Reverb 3 reminds me (greatly) of Exponential Audio's Phoenix Verb because of the overall tone. PhoenixVerb has better control, but neither are either developer's last word on the subject and they kind of imply that.

ToneBoosters Reverb 4 though, what a great reverb, an all-arounder and beat-synced as well. The price is sick low, but my ears like Reverb 4 as one of best reverb units I've ever used.

So I'm intrigued! Who is this developer, Mr ToneBooster I presume? No it's the brainchild of Jeroen Breebaart, who has a lot of audio patents.

I've had a lot of reverb units over the years and am currently blown away by how cool the whole ToneBoosters experience is, the best demo scheme, everyday BlackFriday "upgrade" pricing if you pinch for Track Essentials 3, and fantastic sound super creative.

That was my Black Friday and I got it done by Wednesday And now that it's Thanksgiving I'm sure giving thanks for the genius and generosity of one Jeroen Breebaart of ToneBoosters!

Last edited by JoeyM; 23rd November 2017 at 06:47 PM..
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear
How did you get reverb 4 for $17? I also own track essentials.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
How did you get reverb 4 for $17? I also own track essentials.
Almost bottom of the Reverb 4 page, can't miss it.

Copied here for quick access:
Log in to the Avangate 'Your account' section for an overview of purchased licenses. If you did not create an account previously, create one now using your qualifying product order number, or the email address used for that purchase.
Navigate to the ‘My products’ tab.
Click the ‘Upgrade now’ button next to your qualifying product listing and follow the instructions to purchase the discounted upgrade.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Almost bottom of the Reverb 4 page, can't miss it.

Copied here for quick access:
Log in to the Avangate 'Your account' section for an overview of purchased licenses. If you did not create an account previously, create one now using your qualifying product order number, or the email address used for that purchase.
Navigate to the ‘My products’ tab.
Click the ‘Upgrade now’ button next to your qualifying product listing and follow the instructions to purchase the discounted upgrade.
Ok I see. I don’t have an account with them. I bought the bundles from them before they started using Avangate for payments nearly four years ago. I’ve written them an email to see if they Can still arrange a discount.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Ok I see. I don’t have an account with them. I bought the bundles from them before they started using Avangate for payments nearly four years ago. I’ve written them an email to see if they Can still arrange a discount.
I hope it works out for you and do tell! I'm recovering from heart problems and my income isn't enough for the reverb. But I've owned a lot of decent reverbs from Roland SRV-330 to prosumer stuff like Quadraverb2, a LOT of impulses and whatnot and just a few softwares, but Reverb 4 to a large degree is the "reverb I've heard in my head" for years. I could just listen to music through it all day and in fact have a couple times!

So I'll do my best to gather more pennies, grab Reverb 4 and start rendering. In conclusion, I don't know what others hear with this reverb but it really hits home with my DNA and I feel at long last, one of those personal sound tools is achievable - at terrific cost (over time the money stacks up pretty high), and yet now it's closer and affordable than ever! Crazy! Wish me luck too!
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

In review and possible conclusion...
I really wanted this, didn't I? Broke and recovering from health issues. I've bought many rack unit reverbs since the early 80's, a few software reverbs, sorted literally 5,000 impulses one month in the dead of winter a while back because I beta tested for two major impulse softwares... but I like Reverb 4 and happened to be so broke, at least I could break up the cost getting Track Essentials 3.

Cut to the chase, last night I got the gearslutz PM telling me I'd been here 10 years, and today I managed to buy the code to unlock Reverb 4.

I have to back peddle though on one thing, I thought BusTools 3 were 50% too if you'd bought TrackEssentials 3, and maybe it's not. But I don't see how you can buy one piece of v3 to qualify for that discount.

What a work of art! I can't see where this is worth less than $250 (more near Lexicon PCM price around $600 and I dare say so) but again my thanks to Dr ToneBooster
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

You still like and use it, guys?
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
You still like and use it, guys?
I adore this as an all-around reverb - having said that, there's a lot of ways to make this sound bad, but I find myself starting from Lush Hall and modify from there. Try the demo, because it's pretty much fully functioning except save, and also mine was 1/2 price when you bought Track Essentials which was also cheap.
Unless you try it on a variety you just won't know for sure. I'm glad I did.
On the downside, the Toneboosters website looks to be in Flash format now, and I've long banned Flash from my computers, so I won't know what's going on anymore
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search