The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica & Xelius present Cobalt, first analog modeled Dynamic EQ Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
In my experience this is not an achievable goal. For all kinds of reasons, DAW mixes from 10 years ago are unlikely to open correctly in a current computer. Plug-in, OS, and DAW versions can change and not be backward compatible, etc, etc. And staying with a 10 year old OS to ensure compatibility means a person can't buy or use current plug-ins.
Moral of the story? Keep installers and an old computer around. Or, follow the advice in this video:

Archiving is a PITA but worthwhile.
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Addict

Can anybody explain to a dimwit how the external sidechain in the compressor is working?

The manual only states, this discussion is beyond the scope of it...
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorka View Post
Can anybody explain to a dimwit how the external sidechain in the compressor is working?

The manual only states, this discussion is beyond the scope of it...
It works like the internal sidechain, but it reads an external signal that you have to route to the comp. On Cubase, this is done with quadro channels, I´m not sure how it works on other DAWs.
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
It works like the internal sidechain, but it reads an external signal that you have to route to the comp. On Cubase, this is done with quadro channels, I´m not sure how it works on other DAWs.
Many thanks Julen for your reply but I´m not talking about the DynEq but the "regular" compressor. It doesn´t have an internal sidechain.

I must admit that I only use external sidechaining in my analog chain and when mixing in Ableton with vsts.

I´d have to check how to route that in reaper to vst2 comps...

I´d greatly appreciate an internal sidechain in the Cobalt comp, though, the way Aquamarine 3 and others offer it.

EDIT: I just realized, I´ve missed the intense discussion about this topic in the Amethyst thread.
At least I´m not as stupid as I feared to be...
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

For those trying to grok the Dynamic EQ, here is a copy/paste from KvR that I just wrote.

Easiest way to figure out the Dynamic EQ module is like this:

1) Start by turning on EQ1 and the Dynamic EQ function (lower right corner).

2) Set the "Range" Knob to ZERO. This allows you to hear the EQ1 changes immediately. Set the EQ to something rather drastic so that you can easily hear the difference once we engage the dynamic part.

3) Now set attack to fastest and release to pretty fast too.. 0.15 or 0.2s

4) Set "Range" knob to -5dB

5) Slowly drag down the threshold of the compressor part until you start getting quite a lot of compression.

What results: The more Gain Reduction you see on the meter, the more you will be "morphing" from your original source signal to the Equalized signal of EQ1. The "Range" knob controls this transition and how aggressive it is (basically sets it's "position" on the GR metering.. so -5dB of Range knob sets it so that the full equalized signal should be happening at -5dB of gain reduction).

That's it. You've figured out how to use the basics of the Dynamic EQ.

Now what's REALLY magical is that little EQ1 output volume knob in the upper right corner. That too is a part of the dynamic chain. Lots of brilliant stuff can be done with that single knob alone.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

yes it happens because when the level of a particular frequency is ABOVE zero you get expansion, when it is BELOW you get compression. So adjusting the knob you can really morph the action of the equalizer.
I think our approach to the matter is quite unique, and also results. Basically we have our usual "zero aliasing equalizer" merged with our "low aliasing compressor", and the dynamic eq action works at "sample rate speed".

few tips:
- if you keep the eq flat you can get a compressor OR an expender depending on the setting of the eq knob
- if you tune the eq to reduce sibilances and you enhance the same frequency you get a de-esser! a tube de-esser!
- if you engage the preamp you have it on both the equalized and the flat path.

it's an highly creative tool, the very first one of its category modeled after analog tools.
For people missing other types of tools in acqua format (tapes, reverbs, delays..) I can tell you we are on the matter just spy my instagram page.
BUT this IS the first tool which belong to a new category anyway (it is not our usual preamp-compressor-equalizer strip channel). Basically you cannot have this tool in the hardware domain, you didn't have this tool in the software domain, it is really a new thingy

Last note: the compressor alone is worth the price. For people suggesting we cannot have a "good compression" I suggest to test the compressor carefully, especially in mantis or violet mode. Several pro-engineers already told me it is insanely good, we'll tell you more on next days.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
few tips:
- if you tune the eq to reduce sibilances and you enhance the same frequency you get a de-esser! a tube de-esser!
Can we get a de-esser preset for Cobalt please? I'm sure it would help many others too.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Do you have plans on reducing the CPU hit? That is a must if these are going to be used as mixing tools, right now they are quite heavy.

Congrats BTW, amazing release!
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

The only criticism I have about Cobalt is that the Compressor Module doesn't have the Mantis/Cobalt/Violet knob.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

That would indeed be nice to have it on the stand alone.. but you can always load the Dynamic EQ and use it as a compressor only.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
The only criticism I have about Cobalt is that the Compressor Module doesn't have the Mantis/Cobalt/Violet knob.
ok I try to explain our choices.
Basically we tried to keep the original eq and compressor as much close as possible to original hardware units, because they are endorsements.
We added just a couple of controls we cannot avoid: shmod, mix, trims, external sidechain

They are the basic amount of controls the user require in our products, we cannot drop them.

We avoided to add other things, and we just added a "remix" plugin, adding features and so on.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
For just over 100€ (with loyalty discount),
Doe anyone know just how loyal we need to be before these start to kick in. I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.

I currently own Neb3 server, N4, Pink, Sand and Gold and no discounts coming my way yet.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
ok I try to explain our choices.
Basically we tried to keep the original eq and compressor as much close as possible to original hardware units, because they are endorsements.
We added just a couple of controls we cannot avoid: shmod, mix, trims, external sidechain

They are the basic amount of controls the user require in our products, we cannot drop them.

We avoided to add other things, and we just added a "remix" plugin, adding features and so on.
I imagined that, G, no problem. But would be logical to me, like a ratio addition. We would still have the original hardware in all it's full glory.

It's fine, just saying this because I prefer the GUI of the compressor module. But the Remix seems much more powerful, and it is the one that I'll be using.
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Head
I'm starting now to understand how this beast works. I was already happy just with the comp, but now I begin to walking on new unexplored paths.
And they seems to be very nice ones!!!
Old 31st May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Doe anyone know just how loyal we need to be before these start to kick in. I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.

I currently own Neb3 server, N4, Pink, Sand and Gold and no discounts coming my way yet.
You should be getting emails with coupon codes.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
That would indeed be nice to have it on the stand alone.. but you can always load the Dynamic EQ and use it as a compressor only.
If you load the Dynamic EQ and use it as a compressor only does the Range control have any function ??
Or is it bypassed until you engage Dyn EQ ?
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Can we get a de-esser preset for Cobalt please? I'm sure it would help many others too.
Great idea! Male and female de-esser presets please! The different genders usually have different ranges.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post

There was a table with amounts spent and discount %, somewhere in the AA forum, but I can't find it now. Maybe @zaphod can help?
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
I already own most of the plugins they released over the last two years and I have to admit that I prefer the sound of the eq in Amethyst and Gold over cobalt.

The comp in cobalt...hmm...I still prefer my black rooster comps here.

But in general the combination of acustica pre´s, eq´s and reverbs with the black rooster comps to me is unbeatable (in the box)
I am surprise to read that you prefer Black Rooster comp than AA comp. Then I am going to check Black Rooster comp. Could you tell me which one should I try first ? your first choice ? thanks
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcel View Post
I am surprise to read that you prefer Black Rooster comp than AA comp. Then I am going to check Black Rooster comp. Could you tell me which one should I try first ? your first choice ? thanks
That may very well be just personal taste, in general I love my acustica plugins!

It is just that for comps I dont have the same WOW impression that I have for eq, pre and reverb.

A combination of black rooster comps and several acquas just does it for me.

Check out the blackface on drums and the VLA 3A on busses
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There was a table with amounts spent and discount %, somewhere in the AA forum, but I can't find it now. Maybe @zaphod can help?
just raise a ticket or send an email to [email protected] and they will generate one if you missed it or you didn't receive it

Quote:
That may very well be just personal taste, in general I love my acustica plugins!

It is just that for comps I dont have the same WOW impression that I have for eq, pre and reverb.

no problem with personal taste and preferences (people have different opinions, someone else prefers cobalt, but this is not the point), but I would focus on how much THIS product is different from all other ones. The dynamic eq action derived from the combined action of modeled analog devices is pretty unique. We are shooting a quick video where I show how to use it. I understand there are tons of dynamic eq around, and tons of analog emulation compressors, still this one is the first one in this new category.

Using different words, you can have today a thermionic, or a la2a easily. You go in a shop or on ebay and you pay for it. You could have maybe them in software realm and they are handy. Basically they are doing similar things. Still they are not cobalt, and they cannot do the same things at all... and you cannot fake it combining with other tools, because here the dynamic tube compressor action is merged with the tube eq action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
If you load the Dynamic EQ and use it as a compressor only does the Range control have any function ??
Or is it bypassed until you engage Dyn EQ ?
yes the range knob works only when dynamic eq is engaged
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:

Thanks for this information. I just try the VLA 3A, on a Rock session, and it's not bad.
After what, I compare with 2 of my AA comp. bus.

1 - Sand Bus comp: And no doubt. Sand is more powerful and Keep bigger low freq.

2- Titanium : Other approach but wider et richer. The most interesting Rock sound with "Wouaou"fx. :-)

Even if AA plugin is very greedy with my CPU, i still prefer to have this big warm sound. But of coarse, it's too, my personal taste :-)
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Great idea! Male and female de-esser presets please! The different genders usually have different ranges.
Yep, those presets would put Cobalt over the top IMHO.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear
Anyone prefer Cobalt preamps on vocals and the 2 bus vs Gold? Wont have a chance to compare. Trying to prioritize. My concerns are:

1. How do tube pres stack? Is there enough range to achieve foreground (lead) and background position based on input drive?

2. In reality, as long as im not slaming the stereo pre, how does it handle transients.
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Addict
I jus load the Trial but the "comp.Mix" knob is missing ! ! confused

I run Logic Pro with Mac Pro 12 Cores. Is anybody else have this issue ?

Maybe I will get this knob if I buy the official Cobalt ?
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

It disappears in dynamic eq mode, we don't support it
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

as detailed in the User Manual.

Should be read to better understand the complex workings.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
This is a good suggestion.
Mantis really is nice.
Adds a depth and presence which is very impressive.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Mantis will be alone, around end of 2017, beginning of 2018 as n4 library (possibly before, depending on other factors like the developments of aquarius)
You will miss the dynamic action, shmod and other things I suppose (but you'll get all remaining ratios and its specific attack/release timings)
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Maniac

Just purchased and tested Cobalt on some acoustic stuff. Lovely Eq, very smooth and subtle just what I need on my main buss. And the comp is equally nice too, at least on this acoustic material it is able to nail that 1db glue that just puts stuff together. It's been a long wait but I now have an alternative to my hardware for the main buss. I need to live with it for a while to see if anything bothers me but initial reaction is smooth as butter.
I didn't really like the pink and it seemed to have a lot of weird artefacts but this comp is solid. Can't comment on the dynamic eq, not tested.

Nice one Acustica
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search