The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam SA-47
Old 1st July 2017 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Is there a way to cancel the preorder, or maybe transfer it to someone interested? Unfortunately I'm forced to do it for financial reasons. I was in the first batch of preorders with $200 deposit on a $790 final price, so I'm sure someone will be interested in taking over.
No problem, email me please, I will process your refund.
Old 1st July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
No problem, email me please, I will process your refund.
Thank you! I already did (email from [email protected])
Old 3rd August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Has anyone received and played with their SA-47 yet?
Old 3rd August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
He told me it won't be available until September.
Old 1st September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Any news on this mic delivery date? Would be great to hear some audio examples just to get a feel for the sound
Old 4th September 2017
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Video coming this week on vocals and drums vs the original Neumann U47!
Old 18th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Video coming this week on vocals and drums vs the original Neumann U47!
When is the video coming out?
Old 20th September 2017
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
I will try to make it next week
We are swamped shipping SA4000 right now
Josh
Old 2nd October 2017
Lives for gear
still nothing? I had to cancel my preorder, but I wont order it again without samples
Old 3rd October 2017
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Video will be up in the next 48 hours
I will upload both WAV takes and a video using both mics
I will send an email updating everyone this weekend on where we stand and some important changes.
Old 5th October 2017
Old 5th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sounds good Josh.

I hear a bit more clarity in the U47, on his quieter bits, when he starts to belt it out, I have more trouble picking the difference.

There is also a little more, tubbiness?, in the low mids on the STAM.

We are talking relatively small differences though, especially compared to the price tag difference.

This is on a dry vocal of course... and in context of a mix, one might chose one over the other, or EQ both to arrive at pleasant sonic point.

Let me say, I won't be cancelling my deposit..... 8)

Be interested to hear your thoughts on my comments, if you hear that as well.

It sounds really good mate

cheers

Wiz

Last edited by Wiz_Oz; 5th October 2017 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear
Cool! Still waiting for the comparison on drums
Old 6th October 2017
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
My opinion is biased, so I shouldn't not say much

When we were at the studio we had a really hard time telling the difference between both mics

I think we got as close as you can get with modern components and at the fraction of the price. Perhaps a slight difference on the top end that I might be able to adjust on the circuit
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ joshuanaconda just curious about the transformer choice, going with the t47 instead of their bv8, other than price did you ever make a prototype testing the bv8 or just went straight to t47 due to the cost increase of the bv8? I don't have any experience in comparing the two, tonaly, but (according to the internet, hah) if you were shooting for the "exact replica" moniker, wouldn't you want the bv8?

Finally, do offer the option to use on in place of the t47? Thanks, the comparison clip was very impressive by the way.
Old 6th October 2017
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
We used the BV8, we ended up liking it much better, however, we will have to adjust the price unfortunately. I will send a newsletter this weekend to everybody who reserved informing timeline and changes
Old 6th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
We used the BV8, we ended up liking it much better, however, we will have to adjust the price unfortunately. I will send a newsletter this weekend to everybody who reserved informing timeline and changes
Will that change include those who have already put a deposit down for the $990?
Let us know what the price change is, basically I’m debating between this and the AMI kit, with the change to the bv8, you’re essential creating what I would have with them, but at what price point is the labor worth it for me (or other diy inclined people). So I’d be very interested, if the difference is small enough, why bother doing it myself hah
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
Will that change include those who have already put a deposit down for the $990?
Let us know what the price change is, basically I’m debating between this and the AMI kit, with the change to the bv8, you’re essential creating what I would have with them, but at what price point is the labor worth it for me (or other diy inclined people). So I’d be very interested, if the difference is small enough, why bother doing it myself hah
Will report soon

Probably 1.290 for those who reserved before the 1st of August.

I think the AMI kit does not include the D7 from Dany which comes to 300 dollars alone, you also have to consider the NOS Telefunken EF800 tube we use is quite pricey.

I know some people who reserved at $790 will cancel their orders, it's a drastic price change but I rather sell less and have them sound like the original than sell something that sounds OK. Parts alone are above 1k, we don't make much at all on these at pre/order prices.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
hello joshua..could you please provide a download link for both takes ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHB...ature=youtu.be
Old 7th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Will report soon

Probably 1.290 for those who reserved before the 1st of August.

I think the AMI kit does not include the D7 from Dany which comes to 300 dollars alone, you also have to consider the NOS Telefunken EF800 tube we use is quite pricey.

I know some people who reserved at $790 will cancel their orders, it's a drastic price change but I rather sell less and have them sound like the original than sell something that sounds OK. Parts alone are above 1k, we don't make much at all on these at pre/order prices.
Hi Josh, how do we cancel our pre-order? I'm sure it's a great product but I'm not going to pay more than the initial agreed upon price.
Old 7th October 2017 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Hi Josh, how do we cancel our pre-order? I'm sure it's a great product but I'm not going to pay more than the initial agreed upon price.
You can email me
We will send a newsletter this weekend anyways with instructions
Thanks
Old 8th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can email me
We will send a newsletter this weekend anyways with instructions
Thanks
Hey- will everyone who preordered get this newsletter with instructions on how to get a refund? To have waited this long to get hit with a price increase like that really makes me feel like we funded your R&D on this and you should reconsider making the kinds of claims that you did until you knew what it would take to get the product to market-- or at least to not be off by such a wide margin. Thanks
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickencoop View Post
Hey- will everyone who preordered get this newsletter with instructions on how to get a refund? To have waited this long to get hit with a price increase like that really makes me feel like we funded your R&D on this and you should reconsider making the kinds of claims that you did until you knew what it would take to get the product to market-- or at least to not be off by such a wide margin. Thanks

Yes, everyone.
I understand your point of view, in the end I only care about providing the best possible product. Your deposit did not fund any R&D by the way.

I am also giving a 300 dollar discount which I consider more than fair
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, everyone.
I understand your point of view, in the end I only care about providing the best possible product. Your deposit did not fund any R&D by the way.

Wait-- I am sorry, I though the price is $1,290 for anyone who got in on the first 50 preorders? Unless I am mistaken that's a $500 increase. If I got that wrong I sincerely apologize! And as far as not using the funds for R&D, do the funds you take for preorders sit in PayPal or escrow and never get transferred and used to purchase parts for these or other builds? Again my sincere apology if I have misunderstood here.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, everyone.

How is it a $300 discount when you falsely advertised an original price, entered into a contract at said price, did not deliver the product even close to the agreed upon period, and then raised the price by $500?

That's not a discount, that is bait and switch. Maybe in Chile this fits into an ethical scheme but in many places that is outright illegal. When will money be returned or should I just go through my bank? I doubt the funds were held in escrow.

Sorry man, but trying to sell this as a "discount" is ridiculous. Dropping a $500 price increase months after a product was supposed to be delivered is an awful business move. I know I will never buy anything from you again and I will be telling dozens of other studio owners to avoid Stam.

I tried to be understanding but attempting to convince us you are giving depositors a discount?
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So you're estimating around $1600? Preorder people aside, for what it is thats not terribly unreasonable. You can certainly get less and pay more from some of the other big guys, so that doesnt give me sticker shock (though I can totally understand why those who preordered might!). Best of luck Joshua.
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
How is it a $300 discount when you falsely advertised an original price, entered into a contract at said price, did not deliver the product even close to the agreed upon period, and then raised the price by $500?

That's not a discount, that is bait and switch. Maybe in Chile this fits into an ethical scheme but in many places that is outright illegal. When will money be returned or should I just go through my bank? I doubt the funds were held in escrow.

Sorry man, but trying to sell this as a "discount" is ridiculous. Dropping a $500 price increase months after a product was supposed to be delivered is an awful business move. I know I will never buy anything from you again and I will be telling dozens of other studio owners to avoid Stam.

I tried to be understanding but attempting to convince us you are giving depositors a discount?
All you have to do is email me at [email protected] and I will refund your deposit immediately.

For the record, I did not falsely advertised an original price, the project has been cancelled because of reasons previously explained. Everybody who pre-ordered can get a refund and (or) replace their original order if still interested for the new one with a 300 dollar discount. This is a NEW product.

Ethical standards in Chile are not different from anywhere else, you implying so is of bad taste.

You can go out of your way to stop others from purchasing my work if you wish to do so, I understand your frustration but things are what they are and I can't build a good sounding U47 clone for 790, parts only exceed that amount, taxes, shipping, salaries, etc.., at 1.290 (stock price will be 1.590) I pretty much don't make a profit out of this and I am willing to do so in order to put in reach of people who originally reserved and waited for this project to happen.

Best of luck and I am sorry for your bad experience.
Josh
Old 9th October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
All you have to do is email me at [email protected] and I will refund your deposit immediately.

For the record, I did not falsely advertised an original price, the project has been cancelled because of reasons previously explained. Everybody who pre-ordered can get a refund and (or) replace their original order if still interested for the new one with a 300 dollar discount. This is a NEW product.

Ethical standards in Chile are not different from anywhere else, you implying so is of bad taste.

You can go out of your way to stop others from purchasing my work if you wish to do so, I understand your frustration but things are what they are and I can't build a good sounding U47 clone for 790, parts only exceed that amount, taxes, shipping, salaries, etc.., at 1.290 (stock price will be 1.590) I pretty much don't make a profit out of this and I am willing to do so in order to put in reach of people who originally reserved and waited for this project to happen.

Best of luck and I am sorry for your bad experience.
Josh
This will be I believe the 4th u47 clone I'm buying. I already own a Neumann u47 and keep hoping to find an affordable 2nd mic or one that I can take outside my studio. From my experience with Stam audio, the quality of their products, their communication, and their service, I am hopeful that this 47 will be a 'keeper'.

Given that Neumann itself has a mixed record of reproducing their own classic mics, a small shop with the passion to get the very best sound at a price that's 1/4 or less than an original - that effort is to be applauded. 2 minutes searching the gearslutz files will find that Stam often misses their initial production estimate. Those same files will also show a continuous effort to improve their products and overwhelming positive reviews from users. I myself look forward to receiving and recording with my 5th Stam purchase.

I've been slowly downsizing my studio for various reasons. Stam equipment has made doing so a reassuring, even fun process. Thank you Joshua and Stam Audio

Henry Shapiro
Pittsburgh, PA
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ joshuanaconda what is the PSU you guys are providing with the mic? And did you switched from Heiserman to Dany B, if so can I ask why?
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yeah, it sounds like this guy needs a bit of a break...

its not like hes refusing to refund anyone or string anyone along further. he's in a catch 22, damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. We need people that are prepared to go the extra mile to deliver products that are cost effective replicas of the originals, unforutnatley it sounds like the key issue was that he underestimated the costs of getting this 47 copy "right" and "went to market" too early. The only bit that sounds fishy is that he asked for upfront down payments, but is now stating that the money wasnt used in the R&D..
πŸ“ Reply