The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GOLD the latest plugin conceived, designed and created by Acustica Audio
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpga View Post
Thank you!

I wonder what level I will feed the plug with.
All the best,,
-18dBFS / 0 VU
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
-18dBFS / 0 VU
Lovely!
Thank's
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
until next month where the new best
ever and game changer plugin (of that month)
will be revealed.

I cannot wait...
Oh yea
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Low Frequency Problem

Ok still testing Gold and as previously mentioned I'm noticing some unusual low frequency behaviour on two of the EQ models. When switching the HMF pot from the off position to any frequency there is approx. a 1dB drop in the low end. This happens on both the 8093 and 8066 models. The graphs in the manual seem to indicate that behaviour but to me it seems odd. I've attached two screenshots to illustrate the it.

I've noticed similar behaviour in other Neve Nebula libraries so I guess it is a vintage Neve trait OR incorrect module termination. Here is a little info about terminating the modules correctly when not within a mixing desk. I'm no tech/electronics expert but I am acutely aware of vintage equipment sometimes being incorrectly interfaced. Above all I'm really curious as it just seems weird to me.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geek...istor-mod.html

I guess ideally it would be good to select each band individually so you could have the high shelf of the 8093 with the HMF of the 122 for example (can load two plugs I guess). I think Gold would be greatly enhanced with the additional EQ points and Q switching of the 1093 mid bands.
Attached Thumbnails
GOLD the latest plugin conceived, designed and created by Acustica Audio-screen-shot-2017-04-20-10.55.31.jpg   GOLD the latest plugin conceived, designed and created by Acustica Audio-screen-shot-2017-04-20-10.55.05.jpg  
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

66 was in a mixing desk.
What we sample is what you get!
Rolloff is typical in many vintage units. The other 2 eq are more recent units. We compensated the flat position when the eq is not engaged, but we cannot avoid the natural rolloff when it is engaged (unless we compensate it.. But we preferred to keep the original behavior)
Anyway we could correct suggestions for next upgrade- gold2)
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

So was it sampled Line Ip/console out or was there a post EQ patch point of some kind used? Ah so the whole module was displaying roll off?

Also how about the 1093 EQ points...seems really odd to miss out such a great part of this wonderful EQ.

Last edited by bukarin; 21st April 2017 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: previous Reply edited
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

the fix was only applied to the "off" because in such case the module is completely bypassed, but we retain the original console rolloff as soon as you engage it. No problem to "fix" it in a further version, maybe optionally (so you could choose the eq with the fix or not). Reason why we prefer to not modify things is just because people are looking sometimes exactly for the closest emulation possible. About the 93, we could add other bands in a further release. Normally we add a lot of things in our upgrades (other units, other bands, more samples and so on).
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm working on some Gold videos, should be up today.
Really looking forward to these Will. Almost sold on gold by eqs alone but hoping videos will shed some light on where im going wrong with compressors/preamps.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
the fix was only applied to the "off" because in such case the module is completely bypassed, but we retain the original console rolloff as soon as you engage it. No problem to "fix" it in a further version, maybe optionally (so you could choose the eq with the fix or not). Reason why we prefer to not modify things is just because people are looking sometimes exactly for the closest emulation possible. About the 93, we could add other bands in a further release. Normally we add a lot of things in our upgrades (other units, other bands, more samples and so on).
Thanks for the info!! Having worked at a studio with an old Amek that desperately needed recapping I'm all for the fix please. We used to run tones through the channels to figure out which ones were best for kick drum and bass guitar!! Its maybe personnel preference but I'd always like to be as close to original factory spec as possible with any gear, sampled or not unless its been beneficially modded.

The Church Studios in London probably has the finest vintage Neve (72 EMI 1091/1093 Modules) in Europe if not the world. Its been fully restored recently by Neve guru Blake Devitt and sounds heavenly. My vote is for that to be included in Gold 2. Select the 16 best channels and really go to town!!! I think having multiple variations of the same unit is perhaps another step towards full sonic nirvana!!!!

https://milocostudios.com/studios/th...tudio-1/intro/

Keep up the great work!!

Last edited by bukarin; 21st April 2017 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Added Link
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
Thanks for the info!! Having worked at a studio with an old Amek that desperately needed recapping I'm all for the fix please. We used to run tones through the channels to figure out which ones were best for kick drum and bass guitar!! Its maybe personnel preference but I'd always like to be as close to original factory spec as possible with any gear, sampled or not unless its been beneficially modded.
My experience of vintage Neve modules (mainly 1064s and 1073s) is that engaging the EQ does change the low end. That would always be the decision, where to add extra circuitry to the signal path, and one reason the EQ switch was added to bypass the effect of the extra circuitry. I would always think very carefully before deciding to EQ, especially as the steps of boost and cut were quite dramatic.

I think the value of plugin suite like this is that it does model the units they way they are designed, including they things that the advertising brochures tended to gloss over. Compare the H073 curves to the 8066 in the manual - it is not a question of age but design. This plugin is a library of different tones, based on the characteristics of the units. If you find one filter unsuitable for a source, you can easily switch to another. If you want the flatter response, you can use the 8122 curves, if you want the vintage response you can use the 8066. The crazy benefit of being able to mix and match without pulling modules in and out of a console is quite amazing. Remember (for example) that the impedance switch was on the back of the units, so for tracking you either had to remember the last setup or pull the modules out to check whether they were set for high and low impedance. It's a nice convenience we can just load differences with a button, rather than a screw driver. Also, on the 80 series frames, there was a lot of flexibility to choose different modules to suit the tasks - in some ways the strength of this suite of plugins is the ability to find complimentary choices quickly.
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

I will start buying acustica plugins when i can put more than 1 instance without using all my cpu ..
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
My experience of vintage Neve modules (mainly 1064s and 1073s) is that engaging the EQ does change the low end. That would always be the decision, where to add extra circuitry to the signal path, and one reason the EQ switch was added to bypass the effect of the extra circuitry. I would always think very carefully before deciding to EQ, especially as the steps of boost and cut were quite dramatic.

I think the value of plugin suite like this is that it does model the units they way they are designed, including they things that the advertising brochures tended to gloss over. Compare the H073 curves to the 8066 in the manual - it is not a question of age but design. This plugin is a library of different tones, based on the characteristics of the units. If you find one filter unsuitable for a source, you can easily switch to another. If you want the flatter response, you can use the 8122 curves, if you want the vintage response you can use the 8066. The crazy benefit of being able to mix and match without pulling modules in and out of a console is quite amazing. Remember (for example) that the impedance switch was on the back of the units, so for tracking you either had to remember the last setup or pull the modules out to check whether they were set for high and low impedance. It's a nice convenience we can just load differences with a button, rather than a screw driver. Also, on the 80 series frames, there was a lot of flexibility to choose different modules to suit the tasks - in some ways the strength of this suite of plugins is the ability to find complimentary choices quickly.
Yeah agreed!! Its not something I've noticed too much before and I've tracked full albums on vintage Neve consoles (only used 1066/1073 in racks though). In the grand scheme of things 1dB down at 40Hz makes no difference on many sources and may even be perceived as tightness. The benefit of having these new tools is I can sit in my own great studio and play about loads, when you're on a session with a band and a producer its a whole different ball game!!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

remember that these full Suites include INDIVIDUAL modules of the entire strip ... so you only load what you need.
Saves a lot of CPU/RAM.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Church Studios in London probably has the finest vintage Neve (72 EMI 1091/1093 Modules) in Europe if not the world. Its been fully restored recently by Neve guru Blake Devitt and sounds heavenly. My vote is for that to be included in Gold 2. Select the 16 best channels and really go to town!!! I think having multiple variations of the same unit is perhaps another step towards full sonic nirvana!!!!

https://milocostudios.com/studios/th...tudio-1/intro/

Keep up the great work!!
That is an insane studio.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
-18dBFS / 0 VU
I would use perhaps even little more Headroom... -6 VU. Can easily handled through Input Trim knob... and the Boost with Gain on Compressor to 0VU on the Output.

Gold is so:
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggo Myrtle View Post
I appreciate your contributions Will. It's great to hear from a pro with as much experience as you obviously have. What in particular in gold are you digging the most and for what applications? I seem to recall you have previously mentioned you like nebula ssl consoles on the two bus. Has the gold mix bus changed this? What about the gold eqs on the two bus? Too dirty? Cheers
I've been using a combination of Sand, AlexB's SSL 4KE libraries, and CDSM's SSL 4K libraries for simulating an SSL mix in my DAW. I have not been doing as many SSL mixes after I discovered how much I loved the MFC console after a vintage Neve tracking stage. I've yet to mix through Gold, but I do plan on it after I learn it better, for now it's become my goto tracking plugin with Nebula Neve libraries.

I'm finding Gold perfect for vocals, so many EQ options, both compressors and all the different preamps have Gold at the top of the list for how fast it brings vocals to a useful state. Follow it with Surge for tighter EQ with Veri Level and watch out for goosebumps.

Drums & Percussion...... I've NEVER been able to sit down and get drums this right, this fat, this fast in software. Fatten a kick in seconds, thicken and tighten a snare in seconds, tame those hats instantly without loosing their top, shaker smoothed instantly, and watch out for Gold 8066 buss on the drum buss before a Sand comp...... so damn tasty.

I've had surprisingly fantastic results using Gold on digital sounding strings too, it really gives them some life they lack.

Piano check, bass check, synth bass check, horns check, ...... there is not much I can't check with Gold. The tone of Gold is absolutely perfect for digital audio IMHO as it just brings realism to music.

Gold will take time to know, I'm still learning the tube pre's, the 8252 comp and the EQ's tone differences, it's the subtle tonal variations Gold has that put it over the top for me.

Gold is my top tool moving forward, to each their own.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 21st April 2017 at 03:13 PM..
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
until next month where the new best
ever and game changer plugin (of that month)
will be revealed.

I cannot wait...
While I'm sure AA will bring us many more quality tools, it will be extremely difficult to top Gold in tone, but they can improve the workflow, preamp saturation variation and distortion, and meters, which I have no doubt they will.

I can only imagine a Fearn Acqua strip being better sounding than Gold, but a Mercury Audio Acqua strip, or a Chandler EMI Acqua strip might give Gold some competition.

That's one of the great things about AA's tools....... Gold with the amazing vintage tone was this month, but last month was Diamond, and that was as modern sounding a tool as I've ever seen in Digital. It's why I say we work in great times, so many quality tool options for so little money are available to all.

Imagine a young musician, new to digital audio, picking up just Diamond and Gold the past 2 months and using Gold on the drums, bass, and vocals with Diamond on the music..... wowzers that would sound tonally good. That young person would not have to spend years working to make their digital sound good, they can just focus on creating their art, and that is a beautiful thing IMHO.

To each their own.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is an insane studio.
Wow, I've worked in some super nice studio's but that is another level for sure!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah agreed!! Its not something I've noticed too much before and I've tracked full albums on vintage Neve consoles (only used 1066/1073 in racks though). In the grand scheme of things 1dB down at 40Hz makes no difference on many sources and may even be perceived as tightness. The benefit of having these new tools is I can sit in my own great studio and play about loads, when you're on a session with a band and a producer its a whole different ball game!!
I used a rack full of 1084's, some 1066's, 1073's and 2 1055's nightly. All but the 1055's shifted tone slightly when the EQ was engaged, some more than others. There were 2 1084's I preferred for vocals because of the shift and EQ, while I would track bass on the 1055's, most everything else on the 1073's/1066's but still always missed 1272's for the drums, lol. That's the beauty of the vintage gear, it all has different character. I'm sure it's difficult for G to pick what to make into libraries, as he can't please all of us, lol.

When he released Gold to the beta team, he heard from me very quickly, wondering where the 1272 was at, lol. Later I realized the 2254's are 1272 line amps with dynamic level control added, so the 8254 preamp, is actually a 1272 preamp.

I do agree it would be bad azz to have 16 different 1066's to choose from in Gold. Gold 2 would be great with a full 1093 EQ, a Germanium 1060 or 1061 EQ/Pre, 1084 EQ, a 2263 comp, and a 33609 buss compressor added. Again, he can't please us all, lol.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Will The Weirdo;12579683
I do agree it would be bad azz to have 16 different 1066's to choose from in Gold. Gold 2 would be great with a full 1093 EQ, a Germanium 1060 or 1061 EQ/Pre, 1084 EQ, a 2263 comp, and a 33609 buss compressor added. Again, he can't please us all, lol.[/QUOTE]

The wet "educationnal" dream would be to be able to choose between 2254 revisions, from no letter like we have now in Gold, up to rev. E. A history of 2254s in Gold2 would be ... Insane !
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

whacked it on a vocal today and just couldn't find the sweet spot with any of the EQ's Titanium 2 really smoothed it out in the end
stuck it on a brass line and it popped out of the speakers
I guess this is why we need choice sometimes
Old 21st April 2017
Looks like Will have the same wet dreams as me hahahaha
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I used a rack full of 1084's, some 1066's, 1073's and 2 1055's nightly. All but the 1055's shifted tone slightly when the EQ was engaged, some more than others. There were 2 1084's I preferred for vocals because of the shift and EQ, while I would track bass on the 1055's, most everything else on the 1073's/1066's but still always missed 1272's for the drums, lol.
To me though the question is how much of that shift is down to the modules being out of spec because of age/bad caps/bad repairs/bad termination etc rather than the original design. Sampling the EMI/Neve at The Church Studios makes perfect sense to me, the desk is pristine and has 72 modules to choose from. Just to be clear I love Gold and the fact that were even talking about this just shows how incredible these tools!

If you want to come to London I suggest you drop into Snap Studios and sample the Lang EQs (solid state Pultec style EQs). For that I'd be eternally grateful!!!! Their Neve isn't too shabby either hahaha

Full List — Snap! Studios
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
To me though the question is how much of that shift is down to the modules being out of spec because of age/bad caps/bad repairs/bad termination etc rather than the original design. Sampling the EMI/Neve at The Church Studios makes perfect sense to me, the desk is pristine and has 72 modules to choose from. Just to be clear I love Gold and the fact that were even talking about this just shows how incredible these tools!

If you want to come to London I suggest you drop into Snap Studios and sample the Lang EQs (solid state Pultec style EQs). For that I'd be eternally grateful!!!! Their Neve isn't too shabby either hahaha

Full List — Snap! Studios
Oh my God, hope i'm reading this correctly, this would be amazing if you could allow Acustica Team to come down and sample your whole EMI/NEVE board. with 72 moduels. Just imagine the possibilities and flavor that you get for each module tone.

You guys need to set this up with Giancarlo & Team ;-)
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
The wet "educationnal" dream would be to be able to choose between 2254 revisions, from no letter like we have now in Gold, up to rev. E. A history of 2254s in Gold2 would be ... Insane !
Yep!
With all our requests Gold 2 would be about 5GB, lol!
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Oh my God, hope i'm reading this correctly, this would be amazing if you could allow Acustica Team to come down and sample your whole EMI/NEVE board. with 72 moduels. Just imagine the possibilities and flavor that you get for each module tone.

You guys need to set this up with Giancarlo & Team ;-)
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL that ain't my Neve although I do know Paul Epworth the owner and his engineer Matt Wiggins. If it was mine I probably wouldn't be worrying about the freq response of Gold hahahah

but yeah I'd love to see that baby sampled!!!

Last edited by bukarin; 21st April 2017 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: missing word
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyL View Post
I will start buying acustica plugins when i can put more than 1 instance without using all my cpu ..
Switch to Reaper. Or if you're already using Reaper, time to upgrade your computer.
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sampling the EMI/Neve at The Church Studios makes perfect sense to me, the desk is pristine and has 72 modules to choose from. Just to be clear I love Gold and the fact that were even talking about this just shows how incredible these tools!
G.....
This would make one hell of a statement about Acustica Audio by doing that in an Acqua, maybe an AA/Church collaboration for 2018.

Imagine a Chruch Acqua of one of the finest vintage Neve EMI consoles...... you could leave the full 1093 EQ off Gold 2, but have different to choose from in Church. Make it AA's first true full console Acqua, with a 33609 comp!

Imagine everyone saying, "when your mix is in trouble, ya gotta go to church"!

Yeah, I'm dreaming but it feels so right!
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL that ain't my Neve although I do know Paul Epworth the owner and his engineer Matt Wiggins. If it was mine I probably wouldn't be worrying about the freq response of Gold hahahah

but yeah I'd love to see that baby sampled!!!
LOLOLOL hahaha lets hope that Mr @paul epworth & @Matt Wiggins are reading this or you could maybe put a word never know.. so this way the audio community can benefit of the legacy of his amazing sounding board. I believe they could partner up with Acustica as the company do this just like we saw with DIAMOND ;-) crossfinger
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Lol. Yes why not
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search