The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017
Old 4th April 2017
News Desk Editor

Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017

Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017-orionstudio2017ls.jpg

Antelope Audio Releases Powerful Refresh to Orion Studio Interface

Orion Studio 2017 Takes Users to the Outer Reaches of Fidelity, Delivering Up to 124 Decibels of Dynamic Range

Antelope Audio, a leading interface company with advanced software control and real time FX technology, announced a refresh of its popular Orion Studio that takes its best in class audio conversion to the next level. In addition to a sleek new carbon grey faceplate, Orion Studio 2017 sports brand new analog to digital converters, enabling it to achieve an unmatched 124 decibels of dynamic range, along with Antelope’s trademark extremely low-latency performance. The updated interface continues its predecessor’s penchant for extensive connectivity, including 12 high-quality microphone preamps, and 16 analog outputs.

New Updates for A Dynamic World

As an established pioneer in the field of analog to digital conversion, Antelope Audio continues this tradition with Orion Studio 2017, which boasts brand new A/D conversion chips capable of 124 decibels of dynamic range when converting audio. For users, this translates to capturing every sonic nuance of a performance as faithfully as possible. The combination of these new innovations with Antelope’s legendary 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC) jitter-management technology means that Orion Studio 2017 is poised to deliver industry-leading fidelity in just about any recording application.

“Sound quality has been our primary focus in all our product designs, and we are pleased to launch this significant update to our popular Orion Studio," says Antelope Audio CEO Igor Levin. “With these updates, customers are able to realize an even higher degree of audio quality in real time, while employing our other new innovations such as Session Presets and intuitive routing capabilities."

Sonically Connected Universe

In addition to its far-reaching dynamic sound, the new Orion Studio 2017 offers extensive connectivity options, making it suitable for just about any recording assignment. The 12 built-in preamps easily accommodate complex multi-microphone setups, while 16 analog outputs offer plenty of signal distribution capabilities for outboard gear integration or summing.

Dual mastering-grade monitor outputs maintain signal integrity all the way to the monitoring stage, while also allowing easy switching between two speaker pairs. ADAT and S/PDIF digital I/O meantime, allows for additional channels to be delivered via Thunderbolt or USB 2.0. Built-in talkback, four Instrument DI’s, two transformer-based reamp outputs, dual headphone outs, and WC in and out ensures that Orion Studio 2017 is able to integrate perfectly into any studio or live recording ecosystem.

Satellite Processing

As Antelope continues to shake up the industry with its comprehensive offerings of real-time hardware-based effects, the launch of Orion Studio 2017 coincides with the addition of several new compressors to its growing library of FPGA-based FX. Orion Studio 2017 allows simultaneous use of up to 32 compressors — without sacrificing the generous 40 EQ instances the hardware offers. Perfect for tracking or mixing, these ultra-realistic real-time FX are handled within the interface itself and do not tax the host DAW system, vastly expanding the sonic palette on any laptop or desktop.

Controllable via a desktop app for Mac or PC, Antelope's session preset and routing software also allows provides users with complete control over signal flow, enabling powerful FX chains, faithful monitor mixes, and easy outboard hardware integration. The new Matrix View, available in Orion Studio 2017, offers a detailed alternative to Antelope’s classic drag-and-drop routing interface. The new Session Presets feature allow users to instantaneous recall settings at any time, speeding up sessions and enabling sharing across multiple studio rooms or facilities.

The Orion Studio 2017 is priced at $2,595 and will be shipping in May.

For more information on the Orion Studio 2017, please visit: http://en.antelopeaudio.com/products...udio-rev-2017/.

For more information on Antelope Audio’s real-time FX and a full list of available FX, please visit: Hardware-Based Audio Effects | Antelope Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017-orionstudio2017ls.jpg  
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Addict

I'd love to know more about the Goliath HD
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid View Post
I'd love to know more about the Goliath HD
Me too!
Old 4th April 2017
Gear Addict

Sneak Peak here:

Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear
Please tell me the Goliath HD has a DigiLink connection.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear
Are TB drivers ready for PC yet?
Old 5th April 2017
Gear Head

Press desk, in your post you say usb3, on the antelope website it shows usb2.
Old 5th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriptik8 View Post
This one is USB2.
Old 5th April 2017
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriptik8 View Post
Yes, it is USB 2.0. The information on our website is correct.
Old 5th April 2017
Fixed the press release! Thanks all!
Old 5th April 2017
Gear Addict
Goliath HD: Dual MADI & DigiLink, Thunderbolt 2.0 & USB 3.0

Goliath HD

Just seen this.

Old 5th April 2017
Gear Head

It looks like the only difference in the 2017 version is the color and the change in the A/D converters delivering the higher dynamic range. Is there more processing power too, or will the original Orion Studio run just as many FPGA FX?
Old 5th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
Goliath HD

Just seen this.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...usikmesse.html

Old 6th April 2017
Gear Head

Im amazed at people having the balls to release a 2500$ usb 2.0 interface in 2017...
and no word at all of thunderbolt on windows...
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forget about expensive effects -- They often sound flat and soulless and can be quite a pain to your computer. Our FPGA effects bring audio realism to a new level. They sound, behave and feel just like real hardware gear, because they ARE real hardware gear.
Oh, not this bulls*t again.

No, Antelope Audio, your plugins are not "real hardware". They run on a field-programmable-gate-array (FPGA) chip. It's an integrated circuit chip; one that has a processor you've designed to run its software. If that's "real hardware" to you, then the UAD system is "real hardware", the Waves "DigiGrid" system is "hardware"... etc. Ugh.

And USB 2.0? For $2500?!?!

Just... no.
Old 6th April 2017
Gear Head
Wow, this looks quite nice. Updated ADC as well and 32 instances for compressors simultaneously. I was about to order the "old" Studio but this looks so sweet!!!
Old 6th April 2017
Gear Head

"Hardware" as in NOT dependent on your CPU. This is a good thing and fpga is super easy to code for from what some developers have told me. Secondly, they got impressive latency on the earlier generations on USB 2.0. Would I trust it? Nope - and why would I? I use Windows machines for playing games.....that's about all they are good for imho. Thunderbolt on Mac works amazingly well and 32 in and out for 2500.00? Please. If you are complaining about that you are a special kind of dumb. Moreover, Antelope conversion and clocking is pretty good (read sarcasm....'cause they are awesome).
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
Secondly, they got impressive latency on the earlier generations on USB 2.0.
Huh? USB 2.0 RTL figures on PC are terrible which is why PC users are asking when TB drivers will be available. TB has been a reality on Win 10 for a while already with UA and RME and Focusrite. All PC users are asking for is a projected time frame on PC TB drivers.
Old 6th April 2017
News Desk Editor

Old 7th April 2017
Gear Head
So new converters have more dynamic range than the old Orion Studio, are you guys going to do any tests, is there some kind of A/B comparison test available?
Are the pre-amps on both units the same as well, or does the new Studio have different ones?

Thanks
Old 10th April 2017
Price will be $2595.

The current unit shipping will go to $2295 today, so a value when you consider it will also get all the new FX and Firmware goodies soon.
Old 12th April 2017
I had the new Orion Studio 2017 in my hands briefly on Monday and gave it a quick listen. It's interesting, because I didn't expect much "improvement", yet it was a bit fuller/crisper and while it sounded like the Orion Studio original, it was just a slightly "better" sounding version of that same unit. I'm excited to get this one out there, yet the current unit is now a bargain at the lower price.
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
I had the new Orion Studio 2017 in my hands briefly on Monday and gave it a quick listen. It's interesting, because I didn't expect much "improvement", yet it was a bit fuller/crisper and while it sounded like the Orion Studio original, it was just a slightly "better" sounding version of that same unit. I'm excited to get this one out there, yet the current unit is now a bargain at the lower price.
Marcel, are the mic pres on the new unit the same as the original version?
Old 12th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by creationking View Post
Marcel, are the mic pres on the new unit the same as the original version?
Yes, the mic preamps are the same, however the A/D is absolutely a part of that signal path.

The AccuSonic modeling will reside in the FPGA, so both units will benefit when we launch that technology.
Old 18th April 2017
Sweetwater now taking preorders for the new Orion Studio.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OrionStuCE
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Head
@ Clybourne

That's interesting, it would be nice to see a comparison of the two units even though i guess you will eventually keep on making only the new revision one?
I just saw that you released the new plugins for it as well :-) Nice updates from Antelope, keep it coming!
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniej1206 View Post
@ Clybourne

That's interesting, it would be nice to see a comparison of the two units even though i guess you will eventually keep on making only the new revision one?
I just saw that you released the new plugins for it as well :-) Nice updates from Antelope, keep it coming!
I think we should be talking more about this, the older one is "while supplies last", so it's a bargain right now.

Yes, we just released 4 new compressors and 3-4 more are on the way soon too. The 2nd wave of them is going to be just as impressive a lineup as the current one, which includes VCA160, X903, TUBE176, Gyraf Gyratex X, and Grove Hill's Liverpool.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniej1206 View Post
@ Clybourne

I could agrre with Clyberne, however I am very interested in their Orion32HD. Is there a chance that we could get a comparison between the 32HD and the new Orion Studio ?
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Harris View Post
I could agrre with Clyberne, however I am very interested in their Orion32HD. Is there a chance that we could get a comparison between the 32HD and the new Orion Studio ?
It's hard to compare them, besides I only had a 2017 Orion here briefly.

I have heard them both and they both have that Antelope sound, but I listened to just audio tracks on the 32HD and I used the mic input on the OS17. They are just such different animals, that I'm not sure that comparison really makes much sense.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Head

Will my iMac from late 2013 with 1st generation Thunderbolt work with Orion Studio 2017 ?

I know the Studio 2017 is designed using the 2nd Gen TB - will I need to upgrade my iMac also?

Last edited by ribbontubedude; 27th April 2017 at 01:39 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search