Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017 - Page 19 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017
Old 18th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Sam. Thank you for your response. I would respectfully suggest that you guys make those plug-ins available to all the other platforms that you have sold in the past five years or so. From a business perspective, it doesn’t seem to make much sense to render your other interfaces obsolete. Given the overall issues that antelope has had in general, it does give the impression that the 2017 interface is already a second class citizen. How long before you stop supporting it? This doesn’t give me much faith in the longevity of future products from antelope audio.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The OS 2017 is not obsolete - it will remain useful as it ever was!

There is very little if any chance (IMO) that any new plugins will be ported to non-synergy core interfaces. New product life cycle is ~2 years. The OS 2017 is on the way to legacy - what you have is what you got.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don’t really see any meaningful difference between legacy and obsolete.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You made me go and look up Obsolete :-)
Yep - you are right!

I was advocating the OS2017 is as useful as it ever was (which is true) but by the definition below it is also Obsoleted.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/obsolete
verb (used with object), ob·so·let·ed, ob·so·let·ing.
to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better; antiquate:
Example: Automation has obsoleted many factory workers.

In this respect - Orion Synergy Core has obsoleted OS 2017. Carry on....
Old 24th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My Antelope Orion Studio has broken down. I have sent an email to Antelope to give me an RMA number but I have no news of them. That I have to do? Where do I have to go? I live in Spain-Europe.
Old 25th September 2019 | Show parent
Company Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterlogic View Post
My Antelope Orion Studio has broken down. I have sent an email to Antelope to give me an RMA number but I have no news of them. That I have to do? Where do I have to go? I live in Spain-Europe.
Hey there,

I would advise you to contact our support team immediately. You can find them on this page: https://support.antelopeaudio.com/support/home

If they haven't replied to your email yet you can open a liveChat with them or call right away on the UK number: +44 192593342
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I know this thread was created to discuss a different matter but since I no longer know how to deal with the issues we've been having since purchasing our brand new Antelope Orion 32 HD audio interface I decided to give this a shot. Support techs haven't been able to give me a satisfactory answer so maybe I will catch somebody's attention through this channel.
Let me put this clear. The interface sounds awsome.

Windows 10, I9, USB 3.0, Pro Tools.

- Since day one (a week ago) The Launcher that controls the control panel has behaved in a flimsy way to say the least. Crashing and asking to download a firmware version (1.51) much older than the one we're using (1.6.4 if I'm not wrong). The only way we found to solve this issue is to unplug the unit from the power source.
This crashing issue could happen at anytime. Now it's "stabilized" just crashing "a couple" times per session.
- The second problem we have been having is that it doesn't sync with our Pro Tools' requested sample rate. It stays fixed at a sample rate of 48k.
Today a client spent a whole afternoon recording on a PT 44100 sample rate session, perfect audio and stability only to see the interface was showing 48 on its display!! (we moved on recording at 48 but this issue is totally unacceptable on an interface of such quality and reputation).

We have already had two phone support sessions with Vasil and Coco (did golden boot and took remote control of our computer). Coco said the problem had been addressed and solved. The next day the same issues reappeared so we called again and spoke with Vasil who copied the log folder and said he would check with Coco and call me the next day and send me a ticket to our email. We received no ticket number and he never called me back.

We spent our hard earned money on this product. A few years ago I was a happy user of a previous model of Orion and totally recommended my new partners to go Orion and now I'm having this nightmare. Not fair at all.
Old 2nd October 2019 | Show parent
Company Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
I know this thread was created to discuss a different matter but since I no longer know how to deal with the issues we've been having since purchasing our brand new Antelope Orion 32 HD audio interface I decided to give this a shot. Support techs haven't been able to give me a satisfactory answer so maybe I will catch somebody's attention through this channel.

- Since day one (a week ago) The Launcher that controls the control panel has behaved in a flimsy way to say the least. Crashing and asking to download a firmware version (1.51) much older than the one we're using (1.6.4 if I'm not wrong). The only way we found to solve this issue is to unplug the unit from the power source.
This crashing issue could happen at anytime. Now it's "stabilized" just crashing "a couple" times per session.
- The second problem we have been having is that it doesn't sync with our Pro Tools' requested sample rate. It stays fixed at a sample rate of 48k.
Today a client spent a whole afternoon recording on a PT 44100 sample rate session, perfect audio and stability only to see the interface was showing 48 on its display!! (we moved on recording at 48 but this issue is totally unacceptable on an interface of such quality and reputation).

We have already had two phone support sessions with Vasil and Coco (did golden boot and took remote control of our computer). Coco said the problem had been addressed and solved. The next day the same issues reappeared so we called again and spoke with Vasil who copied the log folder and said he would check with Coco and call me the next day and send me a ticket to our email. We received no ticket number and he never called me back.

We spent our hard earned money on this product. A few years ago I was a happy user of a previous model of Orion and totally recommended my new partners to go Orion and now I'm having this nightmare. Not fair at all.
Hi sparrow,

I am really sorry to hear about the experience you are reporting. However, it seems that there is ongoing troubleshooting and an assigned ticket to your case.

One of our technical support agents has already sent you instructions on how to proceed. I have asked them to re-send it to you in case the mail didn't arrive for some reason.
Old 2nd October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post

I'm sorry to hear about your issues buddy, Antelope seems to have gotten even worse in terms of support and knowledge of known solutions to what seems to be common issues with their products. In any case if you are unable to find a remedy I would request for the case to be escalated as that is usually the only way support stops dragging their feet. Almost 2 years later they have been unable to resolve ongoing issues with their discrete line up even after deeming it legacy and replacing it with a new version. I always advise individuals to do their research and only buy Antelope products from retailers that have a simple return policy, like Sweetwater.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Head

Hi, I'm planning to replace my Midas Venice F24 with an Orion Studio Rev. 2017 and a Neve 8816 summing mixer.

The reason I want to go with the Orion is because of its 16 output channels which would be used for summing with the Neve.

However, big question here for me is how exactly am I supposed to capture the summed stereo signal from the Neve back into digital if there is no way to bypass the preamps on the Orion Rev. 2017.

If I understand correctly, the hardware inserts cannot be used for this purpose since they only work with whatever signal gets fed through preamps 1 and 2. Anyone care to confirm?

This basically leaves no way to go straight to conversion unless I buy the new Orion Synergy Core which has hard bypass on all preamps.

I've read in the other thread on the Orion Synergy that the preamps on the Rev. 2017 shouldn't color the signal if set to 0 dB of gain but that going through the preamps means you are losing 4 dB of dynamic range leaving me with 120 dB instead of the stated 124 dB conversion.

How much will I suffer here? I thought going through preamps would always color the signal?
Old 12th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoglosa View Post
Hi, I'm planning to replace my Midas Venice F24 with an Orion Studio Rev. 2017 and a Neve 8816 summing mixer.

The reason I want to go with the Orion is because of its 16 output channels which would be used for summing with the Neve.

However, big question here for me is how exactly I'm supposed to capture the summed stereo signal from the Neve back into digital if there is no way to bypass the preamps on the Orion Rev. 2017.

If I understand correctly, the hardware inserts cannot be used for this purpose since they only work with whatever signal gets fed through preamps 1 and 2. Anyone care to confirm?

This basically leaves no way to go straight to conversion unless I buy the new Orion Synergy Core which has hard bypass on all preamps.

I've read in the other thread on the Orion Synergy that the preamps on the Rev. 2017 shouldn't color the signal if set to 0 dB of gain but that going through the preamps means you are losing 4 dB of dynamic range leaving me with 120 dB instead of the stated 124 dB conversion.

How much will I suffer here? I thought going through preamps would always color the signal?
summing back through one of the preamps is what you have to do on the 2017.
I also have a cranborne ADAT connected to my 2017, So i can also sum 6 channels on that, and have the last two channels go back into the Orion 2017 via ADAT
FWIW, I have my Orion preamps all set to -6. Except one which is fed an earthworks preamp through an 1176, then it was more noise optimal to have the orion at -1 and drive the 1176 output a little less. Finding the gaining sweet spots is a little work, but very rewarding.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Angry

This is the end for all of us Orion studio series owners, the company having never delivered on solid basic performance no less it's further promises, The 2017 having never functioned properly throughout its entire life cycle as they just strung us along the entire time and even threatened that saying something about our issues online could effect our ability to receive support.
Can't figure out how to do thunderbolt? release a USB 3 product. Do they think all of us THEY LEFT HOLDING THE BAG ON THE 2017 WILL EVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS? Antelope seems to be running something similar to a ponzi scheme, The will drain the pool of potential clients fast and leave everybody holding the bag. Words can not even convey how disappointed and angry I am with this outfit. They've lied to us, jerked us around and failed at every level. Anybody reading this? Do deep research before you kiss 3 thousand dollars of your money goodbye to these guys, you'll never see it again and there are lots of other options for that kind of money! You would think they would do something to try and set it all right, but NO!

Old 24th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
This is the end for all of us Orion studio series owners, the company having never delivered on solid basic performance no less it's further promises, The 2017 having never functioned properly throughout its entire life cycle as they just strung us along the entire time and even threatened that saying something about our issues online could effect our ability to receive support.
Can't figure out how to do thunderbolt? release a USB 3 product. Do they think all of us THEY LEFT HOLDING THE BAG ON THE 2017 WILL EVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS? Antelope seems to be running something similar to a ponzi scheme, The will drain the pool of potential clients fast and leave everybody holding the bag. Words can not even convey how disappointed and angry I am with this outfit. They've lied to us, jerked us around and failed at every level. Anybody reading this? Do deep research before you kiss 3 thousand dollars of your money goodbye to these guys, you'll never see it again and there are lots of other options for that kind of money! You would think they would do something to try and set it all right, but NO!

It's Thunderbolt 3.
My old silver Studio has worked flawlessly since I have had it. Did they change anything on the 2017?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
It's Thunderbolt 3.
My old silver Studio has worked flawlessly since I have had it. Did they change anything on the 2017?
I've made tons of music on my 2017

edited for clarification: it is not a dysfunctional unit at all. Right now the Is and Os are pretty much maxed out the way i have it connected, and the flexibility in routing is brilliant.

Last edited by Jorn Lavoll; 24th October 2019 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: message lost in bad english
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
in the video he clearly states USB.. plenty has changed, starting with AA has lost the confidence, faith and trust of much of its customer base, they didn't sell the 2017 a product under development they lied about everything, 2 years and this thing is headed to the legacy bin having never lived up to the potential as promised or sold.. I don't think it's cute
See attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017-screenshot_20191024-222714.jpg  
Old 30th January 2020 | Show parent
Dizzying to say the least

I’m coming into a 2017 to check out, up against an Apollo X8 to replace my Presonus 192. How has performance been on Windows 10? I really like the feature set of the Orion, so long as stability isn’t an issue to me it seems like a slam dunk. Thoughts?
Old 3rd February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceSokolovic View Post
I’m coming into a 2017 to check out, up against an Apollo X8 to replace my Presonus 192. How has performance been on Windows 10? I really like the feature set of the Orion, so long as stability isn’t an issue to me it seems like a slam dunk. Thoughts?
very stable on USB2, They've never released decent Thunderbolt drivers, works pretty decent on gigabyte motherboards, it's hit or miss with others, very disappointed with this company for failure to live up to numerous promises and not deliver on many others.. so much potential tossed away for reasons I'm not clear on.. anyhow, if you can get the 2017 working stable it sounds great, the FPGA FX are very good compared to most but not all.. I expected and had hoped for so much more from this outfit. The 2017 is about to go in their legacy bin never having lived up to it's potential as marketed or sold.. pretty sad really.. I've been eyeing other products as well, the Presonus 48 48 is having a strong allure and they know how to code Thunderbolt drivers
Old 1st March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Can anyone enlighten me on what hardware parametric eq the VEQ STU 900 emulates?

Edit
It's some sort of Studer 900 clone.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...900-1901930303

Last edited by stonerbox; 1st March 2020 at 08:16 PM..
Old 17th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
When I use the Orion to reamp I get a loss of 16 dB out from both reamp outputs. I checked all my cables with multimeter and can confirm the loss in signal is happening inside the Orion. I have the Reamp volume set at 0 dB (maxed out) in the settings tab. Could someone confirm if they have the same issue?

I'm running the latest firmware, server and panel.
Old 17th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post
When I use the Orion to reamp I get a loss of 16 dB out from both reamp outputs. I checked all my cables with multimeter and can confirm the loss in signal is happening inside the Orion. I have the Reamp volume set at 0 dB (maxed out) in the settings tab. Could someone confirm if they have the same issue?

Was using mine recently. The level going into my guitar amp was perfectly fine. No idea what actual level that was though.
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post

Hi,

The reamp outputs are not typical line level outputs and that is the level that you should expect from them. They are designed this way in order to prevent very high signal level going into the amp, potentially destroying it.

Please feel free to message me if any other questions come up!
📝 Reply