The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Introducing the FG-224 & 224XL Reverbs for VerbSuite Classics from Slate Digital
Old 28th March 2017
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Introducing the FG-224 & 224XL Reverbs for VerbSuite Classics from Slate Digital

The reviews are in: VerbSuite Classics has quickly become the go-to reverb for many top pro engineers and producers worldwide. VerbSuite utilizes LiquidSonics’ proprietary Fusion IR capture technology to recreate the dynamic tone and vibe of EIGHT of the industry’s legendary digital reverb units, available in a single plugin for the first time ever.

We are pleased to announce that we’ve just added another pair of legendary digital reverbs to the VerbSuite arsenal - the FG-224 and FG-224XL!

The original 224 is arguably one of the most acclaimed digital reverbs in history - you’ve heard it for years, on thousands of hits mixed by the world’s top engineers - and this new expansion pack features both the original 224 and the even more sought-after 224XL!

The new expansion pack sounds incredible, and it adds a wealth of new reverb tones you can exploit creatively in your mixes. Everything Bundle members receive this update for free, but it’s still a bargain at $49 for a full license.

Click here to check out some examples of the new FG-224 and FG-224XL Expansion Bundle, and then add them to your sonic palette!

Click here to Buy The Expansion For $49.

OR...

Click Here To Just Get Everything We Make With The Slate Everything Bundle... the Annual Package is ON SALE THIS WEEK ONLY FOR $149!

Including:
- Every Slate Plugin *$2500 Value
- Every New Plugin That Comes Out
- FG-224 & 224XL Expansion Pack *$49 Value
- Free Pro Mixing Course
- Instant Pro Presets

Slate Digital
Steven Slate Drums
Slate Media Technology

CLICK HERE FOR SLATE SUPPORT

Last edited by Steven Slate; 28th March 2017 at 03:53 PM..
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

This took me by surprise .....
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

The UAD is thinner.More low end in the Slate. This one was easy even on YT.
Old 28th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
The UAD is thinner.More low end in the Slate. This one was easy even on YT.
Hi thanks for listening! Can you tell which is which in the "blind listening" section?

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th March 2017
I'm pretty sure the second one is the Slate 224 in the blind test.
Old 28th March 2017

Some comments...

I never had much experience with the 224 or 224XL. When I was growing up in the studio business, everyone had 480s. When I got to LA I met several big pros who told me "The best reverb ever was the 224. It was magic"... Well, now I know they were not lying. The 224 and 224XL has a lush, smooth, vibey tone that blends into the source better than any reverb I've used. It's got less high end detail than the 480 which makes it easier to really push in a mix without being obvious. The mix I did in the demo video (song by Florian Schartner) has a really gorgeous ambient sound and I was amazed at how much I could emphasize the verbs without muddling up the tone. It's also become my new defacto snare and tom verb. I love that plate setting on snare!! Enjoy guys!!

And if you've been waiting to join the Everything Bundle, this week only you can get an annual license for $149.. and it's gonna be a big year of new releases too!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Nut

Props to Steven for this one. I'm a subscriber and have criticised the IMHO too aggressive marketing campaings in the past. Now here we get a quality product (it's an expansion pack, but de facto almost like getting a new plugin) and there was no big talk beforehand and thus no skyrocketing expectations. Great stuff, way to go!
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

For me the noise is part of the sound, especially with 224. I wonder if it was "modelled" with the fusion technology? If I remember correctly, the previous ones are cleaner than the "original" hardwares.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

That was a big surprise!! They should ffing amazing too
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Very nice. I really thought the "fusion-IR" process along with all the mod stuff happening after the sample made Liquidsonics the best. It was the first time convolution verbs came alive and moved. This new pack continues bringing the goods- amazing, hardware sounding verbs in the box. Every patch is quite usable.... and tweakable!!!
Old 28th March 2017
Gee
Lives for gear

The reverb that keeps giving! this thing is great thanks for the new stuff!
Old 28th March 2017
Here for the gear

A christmas present in march!!
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Maniac

While the push to get everyone on the subscription model continues... I personally think 50$ for this expansion is too much. I own most of Slate's plugs with perpetual licenses and I will NEVER join your subscription army. It's bad enough that Apple, phone, and tv companies never want you to own anything, but now the plugin world? I'll probably end up getting it.... but I just wanted to say it's an obvious price point where it's a little steep for a few fusion caps.

In coming months with a few more expansions this will be a $350, $400 plugin... Wild.

Well played Steven,

elgee
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear
Free to those with the Everything Bundle???
Old 28th March 2017
Hahahahaha!! @ Steven Slate you did it again man! I was laughing at the comparisons. The FG 224 had a slightly better sound to my ears though. Great Job as Usual.

Very Impressed as Always!!

Ps.. The Classics are in Every Mix We do Every Day!

KP
Old 28th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee View Post
While the push to get everyone on the subscription model continues... I personally think 50$ for this expansion is too much. I own most of Slate's plugs with perpetual licenses and I will NEVER join your subscription army. It's bad enough that Apple, phone, and tv companies never want you to own anything, but now the plugin world? I'll probably end up getting it.... but I just wanted to say it's an obvious price point where it's a little steep for a few fusion caps.

In coming months with a few more expansions this will be a $350, $400 plugin... Wild.

Well played Steven,

elgee
Hi, considering a competitor sells these same reverb programs for $349 alone (and has less reverb programs from the XL), I think the perpetual price is a steal.

However, I would reconsider your stance on the Everything Bundle. At this point with our new pricing, if you believe you'll get at least ONE product from us each year, it makes more sense just to pay the $179 to join the bundle, which now is $149 this week only. You never really "own" software like you own a guitar.. and if you pay a lot of money for software.. you're paying for something that immediately depreciates in value so it's not a smart investment. Here's my blog on the topic if you are interested: Slate Blog - Slate Digital

Having said that, as I always promised, we continue to sell all products individually to give customers the option.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Very nice. I really thought the "fusion-IR" process along with all the mod stuff happening after the sample made Liquidsonics the best. It was the first time convolution verbs came alive and moved. This new pack continues bringing the goods- amazing, hardware sounding verbs in the box. Every patch is quite usable.... and tweakable!!!
Thanks! I love how the 224 top end is so smooth and yet not dull at all. I'm able to emphasize this reverb to create depth more so than other verbs which become too obvious in the mix. Maybe it's just loving the newest baby, but right now it's my favorite verb in the suite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
The reverb that keeps giving! this thing is great thanks for the new stuff!
Oh yes! And there is more coming in the reverb dept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbing View Post
A christmas present in march!!
Call me Santa Slate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Free to those with the Everything Bundle???
Yes sir, log into Gobbler and go to installers and you'll see VSC 224 installer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 View Post
Hahahahaha!! @ Steven Slate you did it again man! I was laughing at the comparisons. The FG 224 had a slightly better sound to my ears though. Great Job as Usual.

Very Impressed as Always!!

KP
Thank you man!

Cheers
Steve
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot for the expansion, going to put these against the PSP 2445 and possibly the Valhalla plate. It´s nice to have another flavour....
Old 28th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi thanks for listening! Can you tell which is which in the "blind listening" section?

Cheers,
Steven
Yes could tell in earphones.. Sony MDR-7506

This is So Awesome was thinking on buying the UA version, not now! Just in time, You must have ESP. lol

KP
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi, considering a competitor sells these same reverb programs for $349 alone (and has less reverb programs from the XL), I think the perpetual price is a steal.
I have to agree with Steven on this one. You really can't say $49 is asking too much here, I think it's a very fair price.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
I have to agree with Steven on this one. You really can't say $49 is asking too much here, I think it's a very fair price.
But don't you need to buy both the main 199$ VSC plugin and then the 49$ expansion?
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the UAD one like algorithms where you can tweak every little parameter like the originals and this new slate addition is a IR? If that is the case, then comparing them, one way or another is pretty incorrect and misguiding. Not that the sound CAN be the same on certain settings, but as for price and flexibility etc.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

$49 is a fair price for me, but it's also not fair to compare to a plugin that has the actual algorithms of the original, involvement of the original creators, the correct parameters/quirks/bugs etc. I'm pleased it's been added to verbsuite, it was the probably the most obvious omission from the initial collection. The comparison seems very close and for those who use presets as starting points I'm sure this will offer the sound of 224's for a good price. Also of the 40 or so UAD plugins I own I've never paid full price (or even as much as I paid for several slate plugins a few years ago) so it's just best to judge its value based on its own merits.

Since my subscription expired, verbsuite is actually the plugin I miss most (which I didn't expect). I own most Slate plugins and so far the newer ones haven't convinced me to renew my sub. The (numerous) 1176's are fine but I prefer UAD's, so different styles of compression would appeal more. I also don't like how many redundant modules there are for VMR (the 1176's all share the same controls/meter/etc and are only going to be used together on rarer occasions. I'd have preferred the filters to either be combined or offer step modes or more features to justify a separate module.)

Verbsuite seemed to complement the reverbs I already own by filling the gaps of hardware units I don't have access to (or don't use as often).

I'm sure the sub will become better value and more tempting in the future but right now I'm more than happy working with the plugins I own, and picking the plugins I need/that offer something different. Monster/Bomber/1176's/filters/E2/repeater are all a bit of fun but they are all versions of things I own already and wouldn't spend money on.

I'm looking forward to the subscription becoming more comprehensive so I'm tempted to get back on it again!
Old 28th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standstraight View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the UAD one like algorithms where you can tweak every little parameter like the originals and this new slate addition is a IR? If that is the case, then comparing them, one way or another is pretty incorrect and misguiding. Not that the sound CAN be the same on certain settings, but as for price and flexibility etc.
Hi, yes and no.. We don't use static IRs, but rather the Liquid Sonics Fusion Capture technology which is able to fuse dozens of IRs together to capture the actual modulating tone of the reverb. And yes, we don't have the same type of parameters that UAD has on their 224, but we do have parameters that allow you to modify the reverb programs in musical ways, some that overlap the UAD. I don't think we're misguiding anyone by offering a straight up comparison of the reverb programs, and the video makes it pretty clear what the reverb is capable of. Furthermore, we have double the amount of reverb programs since we have quite a few more from the XL model..

This is my favorite reverb. I can't figure out why I didn't discover it sooner. The more subdued character of the top end is just so nice.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th March 2017
Hi @ Steven Slate , I Had a Mix with Relab Reverb Complete, replaced it with the New FG-224xl on Vocals and it Blew it away like Wow Man!!!! This was a Free Upgrade with Everything Bundle. Geez Guys Upgrade or Buy this Expansion Pack!!

Happy Mixing,

KP
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Maniac
I'll have to download it and give it a test, but I'll be more than willing to post a demo here.
Old 28th March 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks Slate! Sounds awesome!
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Addict

Great addition Steven!

(Gobbler download seems mighty slow!)
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Addict

On the video examples I'm curious why the pre-delay settings are so different.. is that what was required to get them to sound the most similar?

Love the UAD 224.. imo it's one of the very best plugin reverbs for vocals so for the Verbsuite to sound practically indistinguishable is really something. Obviously way more control in the UAD but on the other hand a whole library of reverbs in the Verbsuite. I have nearly every reverb plugin under the sun but I can see this joining the family very soon Demoing now.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Impressed with this.
Its very good.

Still love the UAD version.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search