The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Introducing the FG-224 & 224XL Reverbs for VerbSuite Classics from Slate Digital
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

You guyz are correct when telling we have less controls but for me an unified interface is priceless without having to dig in variuous unit disign ( with pros and cons fir each )

The abilty to siwtch from a 224 to a bricasti with few clicks is the main thing here .... not enought controls ? Maybe i have other reverb for tweak heaven ...but you will for sure find a preset that get you 90 % where you want and the remain 10 % are reached like a breeeze with the plugin controls ....

So each use its tool ....for me it sits on my buses and when i want full design : lexicon pcm , psp , tsar , fabfilter ...

I usually choose or have a color in my head for each songs and that s why i tend mimise the numbers of presets/reverbs used ( no rules for sure , but depending on projects. ....in a pure producer way here ..not mixing engineer ) and the verbsuite answer this need like no other ...it s like being cooking and having a butch of spices at your disposal to find the right one to drope ... i prefer to have alll near by all ready ...instead of having to mix the peeper to figure out ...mmm not the paper , let s try curcuma ...
Old 29th March 2017
Steven, I hope this paves the way for the PCM70 and PCM60 to follow. Nice to see the XL. Great verb.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Wow, $49 for an IR set. I guess this is going to be standard fare for the VerbSuite. I am even more glad I didn't buy into this plugin now. Of course, the intended audience is really the subscription crowd who demand a stream of new content.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
I don't think we're misguiding anyone by offering a straight up comparison of the reverb programs, and the video makes it pretty clear what the reverb is capable of. ..
Showing that the plugin is comparable to the uad 224
in a carefully chosen tiny number of settings is fine as long
as it is not implied that the match will be as good across all settings
of the original 224.

Can you match the sound of the slate plugin with that of the uad
224, for example, for every one of the uad presets without capturing a separate
IR for every uad preset? That would be a more convincing proof
of sound match+flexibility.

Otherwise you have an IR that matches a uad 224 preset (not trivial,
but not a huge deal either IMO).
Old 29th March 2017
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Steven, I hope this paves the way for the PCM70 and PCM60 to follow. Nice to see the XL. Great verb.
Yeah man, lots more to come! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
Showing that the plugin is comparable to the uad 224
in a carefully chosen tiny number of settings is fine as long
as it is not implied that the match will be as good across all settings
of the original 224.

Can you match the sound of the slate plugin with that of the uad
224, for example, for every one of the uad presets without capturing a separate
IR for every uad preset? That would be a more convincing proof
of sound match+flexibility.

Otherwise you have an IR that matches a uad 224 preset (not trivial,
but not a huge deal either IMO).
Hi! The UAD224 has different controls and can manipulate the reverb programs differently than Verbsuite, but Verbsuite also has some manipulation of the reverb programs too. But the raw reverb programs at default will match very well, including the modulation. Ultimately you can do some great work with either one of these plugins and the 224/224XL has now become my favorite reverb patch in Verbsuite. I love how they sound in the launch video mix, you can really push them without getting an overly verbed out sound.

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Tx Steven, Happy customer. Keep em coming !!!!!
Old 29th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post
Tx Steven, Happy customer. Keep em coming !!!!!
You got it! And if there are specific verbs you guys want Fusion captured, let me know at our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566611190249801/

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
But don't you need to buy both the main 199$ VSC plugin and then the 49$ expansion?
That's true, but the main $199 includes multiple fusion captures of 8 classic devices. It's already a huge spread of sound choices.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac
The most satisfying of all plugin subscriptions. The new plugins and additions far outweigh the yearly subscription price. I appreciate the passion that lead to the tools from guys like Mr. Slate and Colin from McDSP.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Wow, $49 for an IR set. I guess this is going to be standard fare for the VerbSuite. I am even more glad I didn't buy into this plugin now. Of course, the intended audience is really the subscription crowd who demand a stream of new content.
Think of it like a reverb a la carte ... you re free to add units that only you want/need ...

It s like adding rack gear in a virtual studio ....for the price of a diner ....

I just saw a video of produce like a pro and steven , and while i m not always 100 % in phase with slate moves , he come from the exact same path as a lot of us , when going to a studio was costing us an arm ... now look what we got , and he s responsible in parts ( with other great dev) of why plugin industry step the game up while leveling prices ....

He really love and enjoy its product ( and use them ) ... and release stuff he always dreamed of .... we always dreamed of ... for a fraction of the price ..
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

In first I was very scepitcal about VS but now I use it since 3 months and to my surprise in many cases its the one that sits in the mix very easy and nice.....
I just wish to have more presets. And a few more options to manipulate the IR.... I never understood the 224 I maybe just dont like it....

Cheers Holmes
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi thanks for listening! Can you tell which is which in the "blind listening" section?

Cheers,
Steven
4 & 6 are VSC
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
In first I was very scepitcal about VS but now I use it since 3 months and to my surprise in many cases its the one that sits in the mix very easy and nice.....
I just wish to have more presets. And a few more options to manipulate the IR.... I never understood the 224 I maybe just dont like it....

Cheers Holmes
For more control , reverberate 2 is what you need ...

Last edited by Jeezo; 29th March 2017 at 08:42 AM..
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
You got it! And if there are specific verbs you guys want Fusion captured, let me know at our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566611190249801/

Cheers,
Steven
I don't use Facebook so I would like to see Yamaha SPX90 II and Alesis MIDIVerb 4 added to the collection.

So can you just buy this for 50 bucks or do you need to have the rest of VSC?
Old 29th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I don't use Facebook so I would like to see Yamaha SPX90 II and Alesis MIDIVerb 4 added to the collection.

So can you just buy this for 50 bucks or do you need to have the rest of VSC?
Wow, talk about memory lane... Alesis Midiverb4 was the first reverb I ever bought. I must have been like fourteen years old. Mowed a lot of lawns for that damn thing. Got it at Rondo Music on Route 22 in Union New Jersey. I can even remember the name of the salesperson, his name was Manny. I didn't have a driver's license so my mom took me to get it and I remember explaining to her what a "reverb" was on the ride there. That same day I picked up the Alesis 3630.

So yeah, that one is a no brainer assuming I can find one.

PS: Moms are the best.

Cheers,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Slate; 29th March 2017 at 06:22 AM..
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, talk about memory lane... Alesis Midiverb4 was the first reverb I ever bought. I must have been like fourteen years old. Mowed a lot of lawns for that damn thing. Got it at Rondo Music on Route 22 in Union New Jersey. For some odd reason, the name of the salesperson just popped into my head, his name was Manny. I didn't have a driver's license so my mom took me to get it and I remember explaining to her what a "reverb" was on the ride there. That same day I picked up the Alesis 3630.

So yeah, that one is a no brainer assuming I can find one.

PS: Moms are the best.

Cheers,
Steven
Haha, nice story thanks for sharing!

My suggestions may be a little strange but there are already plenty of lush/rich/expensive reverb units in the Suite. So...some cheaper, grainer, dirtier reverbs would be welcoming.

Although the SPX90 was affordable (especially for its time) I remember reading somewhere that it was basically like the SM57 of reverb. Affordable but still good enough for high end studio usage. The SPX90 II added extra memory I believe but otherwise sounded the same as the original.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Nut

I love the girl in video , f*ck all reverbs
Great reverb though

Last edited by Digital Crush; 29th March 2017 at 07:18 AM..
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

I get why some cats love to have say, uad version of a reverb.... All the emu diving to their heart's content. But, I'm a big dumb caveman... I second the emotion of flipping between the various ir's... I dig the basic but useable controls on VS.

Steven... How bout some real plates? Damn I love the waves abbey road plates.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Steven... How bout some spring reverbs? That'd be sweet
Old 29th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
+100
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Well, isnt it already almost spring?
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
That's true, but the main $199 includes multiple fusion captures of 8 classic devices. It's already a huge spread of sound choices.
Yes, my point being that it is not "only 49 bucks", but rather "only 248". A slight difference, and a marketing hook [which I´m allergic to].
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Do you have to re-install VS or will it work with older versions? I currently have 1.0.4.1
Old 29th March 2017

Hi Kyle, please make sure you have the latest version to ensure proper compatibility.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, talk about memory lane...
That same day I picked up the Alesis 3630.

Now THERE'S a compressor we won't be petitioning you to faithfully recreate!
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

These will also work in Reverberate 2 at half the price, right?

(only fair if they're "sharing" Casey's gift to the world, etc.)
Old 29th March 2017
LCR
Gear Head

SPX90 Please! Used by Joe Barressi, Andy Wallace among a few. Yes it was cheap and noisy but a great tool to have in plug-in form. Nowadays the power supplies are failing in many of them.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Wait a minute, does this offer means that I can get also on free plugin coupon like the black Friday? and by any chance Slate is there a plan that you bring VMR without the container. I mix with in Harrison 32c and you have no idea how flexible that DAW is I can compress using your 1176 right channel and left channel using multi band compressor or whatever of your choice. Your VMR is counter productive for that matter I only use it for parallel compression for now. Please if you can I really appreciate it if you can tell for how long it is going to take to get them individually. I don't really understand how VMR passes quality inspection for that matter.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi thanks for listening! Can you tell which is which in the "blind listening" section?

Cheers,
Steven
I would print the 3rd take.
Waiting for the results.
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear
Steven. I downloaded this yesterday. Haven't had time to check it out yet, but I did notice that it was a rather large file size (a little in excess of 1Gb). Can I do like I did with the Briscati responses and put the FIRs on a separate drive?? If I can, where exactly are the FIRs for this update located on my Mac hard drive after I install it? Thanks. Looking forward to using this.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search