The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AudioThing releases Outer Space - Vintage Tape Echo
Old 15th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
Not that cool to post these things in another product's thread, but Timeless is really recommended for its endless modulation capabilities, it can do so much more than warble.. but here, I tried to do something similar to what El Capistan seems to do (me no play guitar, but as a demo it works)
Timeless is (was ?) great but to ME, "endless possibilities" means "possible end to creativeness"
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post
Timeless is (was ?) great but to ME, "endless possibilities" means "possible end to creativeness"
Hmm.. regarding Timeless, I rather see it as that plug-in where you can START using the delay effect creatively, beyond of what's been done that is. But if you're talking about wanting to play your instrument instead of fiddling with technology (?), then, .. well, it's a whole different pair of shoes/discussion, no?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
Not that cool to post these things in another product's thread, but Timeless is really recommended for its endless modulation capabilities, it can do so much more than warble.. but here, I tried to do something similar to what El Capistan seems to do (me no play guitar, but as a demo it works)

That's brilliant! Captures a very similar crinkle-y warble vibe to the El Capistan. Thanks for showing me. I might have to ask for some details as to how you got that sound if I do get Timeless. Thanks!

Quote:

I understand that feeling. I'm constantly going down rabbit holes of experiments that don't really lead me anywhere. But every once in awhile something does come of it that's worthwhile and of which I never would have figured out otherwise. Double edged sword for sure. But a limited palate can really be beneficial a lot of the time. Like... (steering this ship back on course) a really fantastic and accurate emulation of a certain famous tape echo!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
I'm constantly going down rabbit holes of experiments that don't really lead me anywhere.
That sentence is key.

I bought/buy so many plugs but end up using the least complicated, crammed with possibilities, ones.

There is so much you can do with delay.

When searching for that something that "does come of it that's worthwhile and of which I never would have figured out otherwise", you waste valuable time that otherwise should have been devoted to music making.

There are countless producers whom I read of that seem to "look for something which they never would have figured out otherwise" but end up with the same "regular" music (which is - allegedly - too embarrassing to talk of, cause it's just too simple to come up with). but it does MOVE people.

Again, for ME, the possibility of doing everything means I end up doing NOTHING.

That's why I love Echoboy Jr and Outer Space.

A guitar is a guitar. you can hook it to a pitch tracking sequencer, a bit crusher and sequnced MIDI parser... but it will not sound like a guitar anymore.
Likewise, A delay is a delay. its sound is its sound. when I try do something else with it... well, it means I don't want to really do music. I just want to fack around with noise making
Old 16th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
OUTER REEL !
Ah, that would be a nice name

Quote:
Again, for ME, the possibility of doing everything means I end up doing NOTHING.
Agree 100%, that's also why I'm also trying to figure out the right features to add to Outer Space (for the "rear" panel). Too much would make the emulation pointless.
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
By the way, I've been asked to post more Dub/Reggae demo/videos. Check this tutorial on how to get that Dub Reggae style vocal with Outer Space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA9la61vOVs

(and more coming...)
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
bought it, insta fav delay
Old 31st May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post

I'm still feeling that way for sure. Now just looking forward to that rear panel expansion!
Old 1st June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
Quote:
I'm still feeling that way for sure. Now just looking forward to that rear panel expansion!
Thanks guys! I'm working on the rear panel, it'll take a while though as I'm also working on other updates.
Old 2nd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing View Post
Ah, that would be a nice name .
Yes... for real !

Wait a sec... call it "For REEL" ! ... (or 4Reel)
Old 2nd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you a planning a Microphone emulating plug you can call it "4Shure" (for sure)
Old 3rd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes... for real !

Wait a sec... call it "For REEL" ! ... (or 4Reel)

Quote:
If you a planning a Microphone emulating plug you can call it "4Shure" (for sure)
For REEL I should probably do some contests for upcoming plugin names
Old 21st June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi, a possible request here. So say you tempo sync Outer Space to something like a 1/4 note. It bypasses the Repeat Rate knob so that knob doesn't move. Is it possible to make it so that when tempo syncing the knob moves to the corresponding place where that rate would be?

The reason for this is, say on Echoboy, I often like to tempo sync to a certain note, find that position exactly, then move the knob just a few milliseconds before or ahead so it's not perfectly on tempo but very close. I find that delays blend really well when they're perfectly in sync, but they can really stand out more if they're just a tiny bit off. Really makes them pop out more if that's what I'm going for. Does that make sense? Is this something that would be possible for a future update?
Old 21st June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi, a possible request here. So say you tempo sync Outer Space to something like a 1/4 note. It bypasses the Repeat Rate knob so that knob doesn't move. Is it possible to make it so that when tempo syncing the knob moves to the corresponding place where that rate would be?

The reason for this is, say on Echoboy, I often like to tempo sync to a certain note, find that position exactly, then move the knob just a few milliseconds before or ahead so it's not perfectly on tempo but very close. I find that delays blend really well when they're perfectly in sync, but they can really stand out more if they're just a tiny bit off. Really makes them pop out more if that's what I'm going for. Does that make sense? Is this something that would be possible for a future update?
Thanks for your suggestion. It would be possible but only for some synced values since each head has a very limited range in ms. For example, if your tempo is 120, sync at 1/4 you'll have a 500ms delay. Only the third head at max has this value.
Perhaps I can add a small variable speed knob that affects the synced values. I'm going to finish the layout of a rear panel soon, this might actually work well.
Old 23rd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. It would be possible but only for some synced values since each head has a very limited range in ms. For example, if your tempo is 120, sync at 1/4 you'll have a 500ms delay. Only the third head at max has this value.
Perhaps I can add a small variable speed knob that affects the synced values. I'm going to finish the layout of a rear panel soon, this might actually work well.
Yeah that's true. Maybe when you click on the drop down bar to choose what note length you want certain ones would be greyed out depending on the head it was set to. 16th notes would be available on head one whereas 1/2 notes would be greyed out until you changed to head three, etc. Would something like that be possible, or more difficult to program than it's worth?

The rear panel variable speed knob is a great idea too, probably a simpler solution. Thanks so much for taking it into consideration!

PS just saw on your instagram that you're working with an old Dolby unit. Possible "Dolby trick" plugin in the works?
Old 23rd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The rear panel variable speed knob is a great idea too, probably a simpler solution. Thanks so much for taking it into consideration!
Yes, I'll do some tests to check it out, but I'm pretty sure it will be a simpler solution both for us and the users.

Quote:
PS just saw on your instagram that you're working with an old Dolby unit. Possible "Dolby trick" plugin in the works?
Yes! I've been working on it for several months now. The sound of this unit on vocals (even un-modded) is unbeliveable.
Just a small teaser:
Old 24th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, I'll do some tests to check it out, but I'm pretty sure it will be a simpler solution both for us and the users.

Yes! I've been working on it for several months now. The sound of this unit on vocals (even un-modded) is unbeliveable.
Just a small teaser:
Sounds like a really clever and unique plugin! Definitely looking forward to checking it out when you finish it!
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

Outer Space v1.1.0
NEW Features and more!

You can download the free update from the user area.

Changelog:
  • Added: Volume/Pan for each head
  • Added: Low/Hi Cut for feedback section
  • Added: Ducking
  • Added: Pre-Emphasis
  • Added: Rate Ballistic
  • Added: Variable Speed (+/- 50 ms)
  • Added: Stereo Delay amount (in ms)
  • Added: Noise Tone
  • Added: Preamp switch
  • Added: Meter selector + Gain (input/output)
  • Added: Preset Copy/Paste to/from Clipboard
  • Added: Global option - Switch off the feedback loop clearing on playback
  • Added: Global option - Resizable Window
  • Added: 10 new presets
  • Improved: Preamp section
  • Improved: Noise Section
  • Fixed: Synced values recall bug
  • Fixed: Plugin scan bug on some 32bit host
Switching off the feedback loop clearing on playback can save CPU and avoid strange behaviours on some DAWs.

Please, note that some of the new features and improvements may slightly affect the way old presets/sessions behave.
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OMG!!!!!
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To come out with a cool reverb plugin attractively priced (Outer Verb) is very cool. To come out with a massive, free update is extremely cool (Outer Space) and then to come out with another huge update for free is beyond words! Thank you
Old 18th October 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That is one great update. Thank you!
Old 18th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow! Wow wow wow wow wow!

Can't wait to get home and dig into these new features. And thank you so much for being so receptive to suggestions!
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I got it through Plugin Boutique (PB), which doesn't have the update yet. Can the demo be authorized, or should I wait for PB to post the updated installer?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you guys! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I got it through Plugin Boutique (PB), which doesn't have the update yet. Can the demo be authorized, or should I wait for PB to post the updated installer?
PB should have it updated soon, but yes, you can download and install the demo, it'll be automatically authorized.

You could also create an account (with the email address used to purchase) to get the update.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
You could also create an account (with the email address used to purchase) to get the update.
Thanks! That worked like a charmcharm. Totally amazing update! Great job!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Okay this is just a super minor thing that would be really cool. Now that each head can be panned I really wish they were able to go faster than 60, 115 and 175. This thing is now breaking into territory that could make it replace echoboy almost completely for me. But that ability to do faster times for chorus-y stereo effects is a big one for me. Or to use it for Haas effect by switching Wet Only, setting head Head 1 to 0 panned hard left and Head 3 to 30-ish panned hard right. It's not the biggest deal in the world, and I know the limitations are there for the sake of accuracy to the real deal. Just my last suggestion!

Aside from that this thing is really phenomenal. I really think more people should know about it. Beautiful job and thanks again for putting it out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Okay this is just a super minor thing that would be really cool. Now that each head can be panned I really wish they were able to go faster than 60, 115 and 175. This thing is now breaking into territory that could make it replace echoboy almost completely for me. But that ability to do faster times for chorus-y stereo effects is a big one for me. Or to use it for Haas effect by switching Wet Only, setting head Head 1 to 0 panned hard left and Head 3 to 30-ish panned hard right. It's not the biggest deal in the world, and I know the limitations are there for the sake of accuracy to the real deal. Just my last suggestion!

Aside from that this thing is really phenomenal. I really think more people should know about it. Beautiful job and thanks again for putting it out there.
Yeah, limitations are there to for the emulation. However, you could try to play with synced values and the new Variable Speed (although this is global and not per head).
I'll think about an "extended" mode, but I have to take a break from it for a while lots of new plugins and updates coming soon...

Thanks everyone for the kind words
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So glad that's a show/hide panel. My head exploded and I got scared first time I saw the update.

Amazing plugin and a great update - congrats!
Old 20th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
So glad that's a show/hide panel. My head exploded and I got scared first time I saw the update.

Amazing plugin and a great update - congrats!
thanks
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Played with the demo today, what a GREAT plugin, finally a decent SpaceEcho ITB, one question though: When will there be a 64bit VST3?
πŸ“ Reply