The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SKnote announce DolA - Enhancement from a classic "trick". AAX-DSP, VST, AU. DAW Software
Old 14th December 2017
@quintosardo, I can't find a way to demo this (or other SKnote plugins). Is that just how it is?
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Yes we are still offering an immediate refund if unsatisfied. Weird but still like this
Old 14th December 2017
Another question (no hurry): Will you offer older non-AAX SKnote plug-ins in AAX format at some point?
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Sure, all of them. Including DSP
Old 15th December 2017
Gotta say, DolA is quite useful and sweet sounding. Great job, @quintosardo! I am trying to change my mixing process from detailed to quick and DolA fits that process perfectly.

Would it be possible for DolA (AAX) to not steal keyboard focus, when clicking the GUI?
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

We have to understand how much this is fixed in the graphic framework...
Old 17th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
We have to understand how much this is fixed in the graphic framework...
Not sure I understand what you mean, but let me know if you want my help persuing the issue (reporting it properly, testing, etc.). Are you saying that the graphical framework you are using is making a fix impossible?
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

No, nothing is impossible as the framework is open and, anyway, we are not forced to use it forever. I meant that it is something requested before and we have to understand if it is possible to change it staying withing framework's limits, not hacking it. The great part of using the framework (vstgui) is keeping comatibility with future revisions, using it for all formats and not having the workload of designing, maintaining it and making it evolve.
I'm looking into it to understand what the change involves.
We have such an amount of things ready to go that we have to estimate it to distribute the resources
Old 17th January 2018
DoIA on 3 with both controls less than a quarter up did magic on a 12 string guitar the other day... discovered it by accident on a vox/guit/kick/key track recorded on one track on a Tascam Porta 424 (keys one chord and wah wah on the sustain pedal to keep it going) with RCA77... after transfer i was curious to see how much i can enhance without raising the hiss too much and arriving at those settings noticed that while the vocals (and hiss) sounded the same, the 12 string came through more which was just what had been missing! As the whole thing had just appeared at the spur of the moment it would have been hard to overdub without sounding artificial... perfect. Lucky little heureka:)
Old 12th June 2018
Had some Sknote ‘dollars’ in my account so watched a few vids and took a punt on this. Could be just the thing for when I receive muddy tracks for mastering. So far very impressed. Feels like more than just EQ.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Had some Sknote ‘dollars’ in my account so watched a few vids and took a punt on this. Could be just the thing for when I receive muddy tracks for mastering. So far very impressed. Feels like more than just EQ.
It's definitely on my watchlist - especially as I have a load of SKNote credits waiting to be spent! Can you let us know how you get on with this?
Old 13th June 2018
Yeah, like what it does so far, but will have to wait until 'muddy mix time' before it gets a proper use. Looking forward to trying it out on vox and acoustic guitar at some stage too.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

To me, its one of those secret to bring clarity without harshness, but very little goes a loooong way. 15 to 20% max on dark and muddy tracks, and you get a nice clarity in the top end without having your ears bleed
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

This one is on my watchlist too.. i didn't clicked while demoing Dopamine (Overloud).. in the meantime i'm using Henry Olonga Clariphonic AIR'stuff on Busses, but i guess it's not the same kind of magic/trick
There is also the Audiothing one, which is very tweakable but not transparent/subtle enough for my taste..
I've just spent 20 bucks on Hornet31 so i'll wait until next week to give more cash to Italian Devs
Forza
Old 13th June 2018
Playing with it a lot more today. Mode 3 is where it's at for mastering, for me, on mixes which are already sounding good. 3 seems to work more on the higher air band without affecting the mids so much (Modes 1 & 2 can often be a bit much, but I could see them working for really muddy mixes). 3 is much subtler. I have it after the analogue chain and right before the final limiter at the moment. It brought some percussion up very nicely without drawing too much attention to itself, with Gain set so the meters are dancing around the low to middle of their travel (not higher than 24), and Mix set to around 10%. It seems to saturate the highs a bit, similar to how analogue gear/transformers can work, but different from plain old EQ. It's definitely another great tool to have in the arsenal if your high shelving boosts aren't doing it. For the price it's a steal, if you ask me. Kinda sad that after a year out there it's not better known, but sometimes it's nice to have "secret" tools.

Big thumbs up from me, I only buy one or two plugins a year, and half those rarely get used, but I reckon this one will be.

Last edited by Hermetech Mastering; 13th June 2018 at 09:22 PM..
Old 13th June 2018
And the most important thing I forgot to mention, a feature request! Quinto, could we please have a Bypass button added? It would make the A/B comparisons so much easier! I think that's the only thing I am missing with this plug.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only buy one or two plugins a year
What? You dare admit this on GearSlutz? Heresy I say!

Quote:
And the most important thing I forgot to mention, a feature request! Quinto, could we please have a Bypass button added?
Every plugin should have a bypass button. I know Reaper provides its own but that's a hard bypass that sometimes judders the audio, whereas a plugin's own bypass is a soft bypass and always works without pops. So, yes please. I notice that the new Roundtone has a bypass button ("power") which works flawlessly so it can be done!
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
This one is on my watchlist too.. i didn't clicked while demoing Dopamine (Overloud).. in the meantime i'm using Henry Olonga Clariphonic AIR'stuff on Busses, but i guess it's not the same kind of magic/trick
There is also the Audiothing one, which is very tweakable but not transparent/subtle enough for my taste..
I've just spent 20 bucks on Hornet31 so i'll wait until next week to give more cash to Italian Devs
Forza
This is also on my radar. I agree with you on the Audiothing one, even though you can use the mix dial I didn't find it subtle enough for my tastes either.

I think I will give this a go as well at some point.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search