The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exponential audio R4
Old 28th February 2017
Exponential audio R4

EXPONENTIAL AUDIO R4 ARRIVES MARCH 10, $299/€289
https://www.exponentialaudio.com/r4-in-depth
With special pricing for existing Exponential Audio customers.

Meet R4: reverb royalty from Exponential Audio.

Every generation of engineers and producers has iconic pieces of studio equipment; they act like markers along the path of recording history. Many top engineers will talk about reverbs in the same way, they will speak of the first time they heard some of the classic hardware reverb units which have created a dynasty over the past few decades. Some of these units have Michael Carnes' fingerprints on them, and his new creation R4 is the next reverb in this royal lineage. R4 offers all the class of historic hardware reverb units but with many new features only possible with modern plug-in development technology. R4 is pure class and for this reason, is destined to become a classic.

NIMBUS set a new standard for transparent reverb with unprecedented flexibility. R4 is about to do the same for character reverb. R4 will transform your mix by adding movement and fatness to the reverb tail.

No CPU hog: R4 is a native plug-in, requiring no special hardware and offering even more flexibility while continuing to work with its now-famous minimal load on your computer.

Easy to use: We know that workflow matters to our users. While R4 is brand new, existing users will find it reassuringly familiar, and new users will find their way around in a matter of minutes. And just to make sure of that, Exponential Audio has once again teamed up with Groove3. You'll find plenty of videos to help you find your way around.

R4 features at a glance:

A character reverb that outdoes all the classics
Powerful EQ
6 selectable types of filter for input, early reflection, and reverb tail.
Early and tail EQ can be dynamically modulated. Whether a subtle pulsation or a sweeping notch, modulated EQ is a powerful new weapon in the producer's toolkit.
R4 retains the Chorused Hall of earlier Exponential Audio plugins. And it adds a second Hall with density modulation that adds motion to the tail without adding pitch change. Of course, you can add pitch modulation on top if you want it! These halls are the perfect solution for sparse or sterile mixes and solos.
There's also a Plate and Chamber; updated from R2.
Warp section with compressor/expander and overdrive
Pre-delay and reverb delay now adjustable by tempo
Tail suppression circuit for more dynamic response
Gated reverb effects
Over 1200 presets
Helpful tool-tips to guide new users.
Warp Factor Ten!

We've also taken features from NIMBUS that have proved a big hit. These include;

Warp (compression/expansion, overdrive, bit reduction). The Warp feature adds a little analog grit and brings you even closer to the sounds of those great old hardware boxes.
Tail suppression. Whether you want to mash a kick drum or want to keep the reverb out of the way in complex passages, this tool has proven its usefulness in NIMBUS. Now it's in R4.
No Room? No Problem!

And of course, there's a powerful early-reflection section in R4. Early reflections were where vintage reverbs were weakest. There just weren't enough CPU cycles to provide convincing early energy.

Weak early reflections were less of an issue in the days where everyone had an enormous tracking room; it was simply a case of using the space of a real room. Today's project studios often don't have that option and must rely on more close-miking and directional mics. R4's early section can bring back the naturalness and softness of a big room. And add tempo-following if you need it.

Echos In Eternity

And there's one last thing. Sometimes a reverb just doesn't have enough reverb time. How about forever? R4 has a new Freeze button. Click the button, and the contents of the reverb go into an infinite mode that goes on as long as you like. Whether you're capturing a chord, designing an environment, or creating SFX for a movie, Freeze is a powerful and fun tool to use. Better still, Freeze also has an option that keeps the early section open. You can continue to pass live signal at the same time the tail is frozen. You can also use some of the external controls to tailor the sound of the Freeze after you have captured it.

More For Less

All of this comes in a package with the renowned Exponential Audio efficiency. Run as many instances of Exponential Audio R4 as you need; this is no CPU hog.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Head
Do I need another verb? Will it be amazing? Will I end up getting it?
No, yes, yes.
The life of a slut.
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

Upgrade price for existing customers that own all the other reverbs?
Old 28th February 2017
Lives for gear

The dynamic modulation feature for early and tail EQ is incredible.
Really useful for giving life and movement to a mix.

Congratulations Exponential Audio, R4 is superb.

Last edited by Beatworld; 1st March 2017 at 01:55 AM..
Old 1st March 2017
Ok, I've had the honour of using R4 for a while and it's fantastic!
It's now my desert island reverb. The range of sounds is incredible.Big, small, wide, narrow, deep, shallow, clean, dirty just dial it in with ease, and the sound is absolutely killer.TONS of presets to choose from.
You can get it to sound amazing quickly.
Congrats Exponential. Thanks for an awesome reverb
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Ok, I've had the honour of using R4 for a while and it's fantastic!
It's now my desert island reverb. The range of sounds is incredible.Big, small, wide, narrow, deep, shallow, clean, dirty just dial it in with ease, and the sound is absolutely killer.TONS of presets to choose from.
You can get it to sound amazing quickly.
Congrats Exponential. Thanks for an awesome reverb
Yep it was an honour to be involved with testing this, it really is something.
It does cover a HUGE range of reverb options.
Old 1st March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Yep it was an honour to be involved with testing this, it really is something.
It does cover a HUGE range of reverb options.
One thing I've come to love about EA is the zoom function on their plugs. When programming R4 I love having it take up the whole screen. Kinda feels like the whole computer is one big fancy LARC!!
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

This really is a fantastic plugin (as all Exponential Audio plugins are!). It has been my #1 reverb since the beta started. I always liked R2, and I really like the new Hall 2 architecture with the density modulation. The ability to control the width of ER and tail separately is really nice, as well as the new ER patterns.

I agree that it's a desert island reverb. In between looking for food and shelter, I'd be recording strange sounds from the island and putting them through R4.
Old 1st March 2017
Lives for gear

The new Plate algorithm is the one I seem to fancy the most.. when considering the audio examples. It seems to sound way better than before.
Old 2nd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
This really is a fantastic plugin (as all Exponential Audio plugins are!). It has been my #1 reverb since the beta started. I always liked R2, and I really like the new Hall 2 architecture with the density modulation. The ability to control the width of ER and tail separately is really nice, as well as the new ER patterns.

I agree that it's a desert island reverb. In between looking for food and shelter, I'd be recording strange sounds from the island and putting them through R4.
Hall 2 might become a classic...
Old 3rd March 2017
I've been loving this, too. It's clearly reminiscent of its predecessor but a marked step forward. Michael has "it" when it comes to verb and effects designs.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Any hints on the upgrade deal this time?

It would be good to know in advance of the release for planning.

I have the original four reverbs and the delay in a bundle, plus the NFR promo upgrade to the most recent reverb (haven't really used it much yet, so the name escapes me).

The upgrade seemed kind of unfair for those having more than one plug-in last time... but, if this follows that pattern, I'm predicting a one size fits all of $149 (since the price is higher).

That would make it a though choice for me... more, and I'm likely off the boat and selling my bundle at a loss to help fund the swim home and maybe some future Relab.

$99 again for an NFR... I'd probably just do it, but with a squinty eye toward what might happen on the surrounds.
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
The upgrade seemed kind of unfair for those having more than one plug-in last time...
$99 again for an NFR... I'd probably just do it, but with a squinty eye toward what might happen on the surrounds.
Mmm... this is where FabFilter really score (along with their no-BS copy protection and awesome UI) - the discounts increase the more of their products you own, so you never have to wait for a sale!

I bought Phoenix, then R2, then upgraded to the Surround Bundle which replaced the original two reverbs, then I added Nimbus. I'll probably get R4, but if and when the surround versions come out, I'll have to have those too, which then leaves me with a graveyard of six redundant reverbs that I can't sell but won't ever use again. I'm starting to like subscription models!
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Really looking forward to this one.
Old 6th March 2017
There are soooo many gorgeous presets in this thing...
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
There are soooo many gorgeous presets in this thing...
Yes there are! Fortunately due to the great preset system, you can search or look them up by keyword so it doesn't become daunting. I say, the more presets the better!

As an example of search, it's interesting to search -R2 to see what's new in R4!
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Head
I received an email from Exponential saying that as an owner of one or more products I'll get a discount for two weeks or so but it doesn't tell me what the new price will be- only that I'll like it. I hope that like Fabfilter and PSP, they'll be a sliding scale depending on how many fx we already own. I've got all the non-surround verbs and Excalibur. Not overly impressed on only a two week window to get a reduced price.
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojidad View Post
I received an email from Exponential saying that as an owner of one or more products I'll get a discount for two weeks or so but it doesn't tell me what the new price will be- only that I'll like it. I hope that like Fabfilter and PSP, they'll be a sliding scale depending on how many fx we already own. I've got all the non-surround verbs and Excalibur. Not overly impressed on only a two week window to get a reduced price.
You'll get a reduced price at any time, but the savings will be much better during the introductory period.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Head
Thank you for the clarification Michael. It might have been better to make that information in the email musician-proof! Not long now ...
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Counting down... thank me if the all-in upgrade price is good!

(taking a cue from Donnie T. to take credit for good things I had little to do with... though I think I did have the first bigliest post on the subject above)
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you so very much. It is already well into the 10'th here in the old world. In fact it is soon lunch time. It's true.
Old 10th March 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojidad View Post
You'll get a reduced price at any time, but the savings will be much better during the introductory period.
I've got all the non-surround verbs and Excalibur too, but not received any email about my discount.
Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks in advance
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Head
I'd contact Exponential about your missing email and code. The links are now live (before there was a holding page saying it was too early). The discount is $150, or 50 percent.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
Is there any discount on the price of a full transferable R4 license during the introductory period, for those that don't take the upgrade path?
Old 10th March 2017
Kind of confused here too - what's the intro price if you don't own any Exponential plugs?
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Head
I got the impression that the introductory price fortnight was an extra discount for existing owners only.
Demo is now available for all.

Last edited by boojidad; 10th March 2017 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: forgot demo info
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Edit: My discount code does work. You can upgrade for 150 from any EA plugin, but you get an NFR version.

I don't think there is any introduction price, unless it will be even more that 299 later on...

Last edited by World Studios; 10th March 2017 at 05:12 PM..
Old 10th March 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

The demos sound impressive. Do they offer 2 activations per account?
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any hints on the upgrade deal this time?

It would be good to know in advance of the release for planning.

I have the original four reverbs and the delay in a bundle, plus the NFR promo upgrade to the most recent reverb (haven't really used it much yet, so the name escapes me).

The upgrade seemed kind of unfair for those having more than one plug-in last time... but, if this follows that pattern, I'm predicting a one size fits all of $149 (since the price is higher).

That would make it a though choice for me... more, and I'm likely off the boat and selling my bundle at a loss to help fund the swim home and maybe some future Relab.

Quote:
Counting down... thank me if the all-in upgrade price is good!

(taking a cue from Donnie T. to take credit for good things I had little to do with... though I think I did have the first bigliest post on the subject above)
As I predicted, putting it in the tough choice category... except no intro discount for non-previous EA customers.

That makes the upgrade deal better than nimbus, but weighted heavily against loyal all-in customers.

Oh, well... Nobody Special has to eat, too.

I'll probably do it, but may try to sell my bundle and be happy with these here NFRs forever... keepin' a now beady eye peeled on EA, though.

OK, off to lunch with Vlad... what's $150 in rubles, anyway?
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Those guitars presets (especially Guitar Wash 1/2 as well as medium halls) sounds ab-so-lu-tely stunning. I am sold now TBH. Though originally I was planning to stay away and keep on enjoying Nimbus. But I have just discovered, that sound wise and presets wise they are compliment each other in a beautiful way.
📝 Reply