The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Debuts new Zen Studio Plus w/Thunderbolt & FX
Old 2nd December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
There is a 2 rack space kit. This unit was designed primarily for mobile use, so it would be too hot inside one space.

But, the Z-Rack kit allows for the unit to be easily removed and taken to a gig.
Thanks Clybourne. I got my Zen studio plus this week and I now understand how incredibly hot it runs after only a few minutes of usage. I will get the rack kit soon as I need to be mobile in road cases.
Old 4th December 2017
Gear Head

Any Logic/Zen Studio+ users?

HI

Wondering if anyone is finding success using the Zen Studio+ (or its predecessor) with Logic Pro, and how they play together.

Would appreciate any honest evaluation re. workflow, how it might work with existing tracks in logic (MIDI and audio) while tracking new audio into interface (how do they sync up). I just learned the AFX to DAW plugin won't work with my 12 core mac pro USB, and wondering what limitations that might introduce as well.

Pre sales help isn't very good at AA.

Thanks!! - Greg
Old 6th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundStudio View Post
HI

Wondering if anyone is finding success using the Zen Studio+ (or its predecessor) with Logic Pro, and how they play together.

Would appreciate any honest evaluation re. workflow, how it might work with existing tracks in logic (MIDI and audio) while tracking new audio into interface (how do they sync up). I just learned the AFX to DAW plugin won't work with my 12 core mac pro USB, and wondering what limitations that might introduce as well.

Pre sales help isn't very good at AA.

Thanks!! - Greg
Hi Greg,

I actually use multiple Antelope interfaces myself with Logic on a daily basis. In fact, I even share computers on the same device and switch them sometimes from TB to USB with one computer via TB and the 2nd USB, which I've also posted videos of.

I very much suggest our User Group for questions like this, as it's highly active on an almost hourly basis.

Also, I've made several videos with tips meant to help users out on my Channel.

And of course, Antelope has a great YouTube Channel and Support page.

I'm sorry you didn't get help with your pre-sales questions, we are very much here to assist you and any customer.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi Greg,

I very much suggest our User Group for questions like this, as it's highly active on an almost hourly basis.

Also, I've made several videos with tips meant to help users out on my Channel.

And of course, Antelope has a great YouTube Channel and Support page.

I'm sorry you didn't get help with your pre-sales questions, we are very much here to assist you and any customer.
Thanks Marcel. You message means a lot - I just bought a Zen studio+, and will definitely need help getting going on that when it arrives. I did go to the tutorials you linked to, and didn't see anything re. the Plus (just the older zen studio). Is that because they are close enough to be redundant in terms of set up and basic use? Any specific references for the Zen Studio+?

Mostly I'll be in the dark about how direct monitoring will affect anything I've already recorded in logic (midi and audio) and how I monitor what's already recorded alongside what's coming into the Zen Studio+ - i only have experience with PCIe card based systems (apogee Symphony) where there's no external mixer - it's all right inside logic. where can I go with specific and detailed questions about this type of situation and others?
Old 6th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundStudio View Post
Thanks Marcel. You message means a lot - I just bought a Zen studio+, and will definitely need help getting going on that when it arrives. I did go to the tutorials you linked to, and didn't see anything re. the Plus (just the older zen studio). Is that because they are close enough to be redundant in terms of set up and basic use? Any specific references for the Zen Studio+?

Mostly I'll be in the dark about how direct monitoring will affect anything I've already recorded in logic (midi and audio) and how I monitor what's already recorded alongside what's coming into the Zen Studio+ - i only have experience with PCIe card based systems (apogee Symphony) where there's no external mixer - it's all right inside logic. where can I go with specific and detailed questions about this type of situation and others?
The Zen Studio+ is the same as the new red special edition. No change, other than the red color and the special 1995 price.

We have technicians I can get you in touch with to make sure you're happily up and going.

Thanks!
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Zen Studio+ is the same as the new red special edition. No change, other than the red color and the special 1995 price.

We have technicians I can get you in touch with to make sure you're happily up and going.

Thanks!
hi can you please explain exactly the differences in conversion between the Zen Studio and the Zen Studio +? Have the converter chips or staging/clocking been upgraded at all?
Old 24th March 2018
Here for the gear

Help advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Zen's in, Mac's right (I'm a PC guy), new Apple 2M Thunderbolt cable, software is working, but Pro Tools ain't. Not getting output from Pro Tools or input for' that matter. I understand the routing as I've got a mic thru the built-in mixer to my headphones and can hear it along with the verb/compression. Just Pro Tools is refusing to co-operate. I have selected the Zen Studio+ in the Device Panel and loaded the default I/O of 32 channels, still no go. I've been working the last couple of days and haven't had much of a chance to research it as I now I've seen this issue online when researching the Zen in the 1st place, just now it seems to be hiding from me. Running macOS Sierra and PT Vanilla 12.7.1
I got a couple questions
1. Are u using pc?
2. Are u connected thru thunderbolt or usb?
3.hows your latency?
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang View Post
hi can you please explain exactly the differences in conversion between the Zen Studio and the Zen Studio +?
Greetings!

While different in many other aspects, when it comes to conversion Zen Studio and Zen Studio+ are identical.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Greetings, all!

Check out the great video our friends Charles Streeter and Darryl Pruitt Jr. did featuring Zen Studio +!

Old 29th August 2018
Gear Addict

Does anyone know if this can be used as a standalone converter? Looking for something to feed an old Digi192 Digital... hoping to be able to route my analogue gear into the Zen+, then out via ADAT into the HD rig 192s. The house computer is too old to run the Antelope software so I'd need to run it via iPad I suppose. Is this doable?
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denus View Post
Does anyone know if this can be used as a standalone converter? Looking for something to feed an old Digi192 Digital... hoping to be able to route my analogue gear into the Zen+, then out via ADAT into the HD rig 192s. The house computer is too old to run the Antelope software so I'd need to run it via iPad I suppose. Is this doable?
Hello Denus,

You can do the necessary routing and then use the device as a standalone converter. There is also an Ipad application which allows you to adjust the Gain and Pre-amp section only.

I hope that my answer finds you well.

Alex
Old 30th August 2018
Deleted efff87a
How soon are the FPGA updates coming for the Zen Studio+?
Old 31st August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted efff87a View Post
How soon are the FPGA updates coming for the Zen Studio+?
Hello Deleted efff87a,

We would like to assure you we are working on them, but can not give out an official date at this point. There are still some aspects that need polishing and we would rather give out the date when absolutely sure there will be no hiccups. We would like to state that progress is being made, so users can be calmed that they will be able to benefit from the hard work of our development team!
Old 31st August 2018
Deleted efff87a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
Hello mauvehead,

We would like to assure you we are working on them, but can not give out an official date at this point. There are still some aspects that need polishing and we would rather give out the date when absolutely sure there will be no hiccups. We would like to state that progress is being made, so users can be calmed that they will be able to benefit from the hard work of our development team!
Thank you for the upfront and honest answer. I’m glad it isn’t being rushed in order to ensure no bugs or hiccups. Will be looking forward to this update. Thanks again for the transparency.
Old 16th November 2018
Any updates for this thing?
Old 12th December 2018
Deleted efff87a
Any updates on the ETA? It's been an incredibly long wait for promises made nearly a year ago.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Any updates on the ETA? It's been an incredibly long wait for promises made nearly a year ago.
lololololol

I'd bet $1000 we Zenstudio+ owners NEVER see what we were promised when we bought the machine.
Old 13th December 2018
Deleted efff87a
Quote:
Hello mauvehead,

Any updates on the ETA?
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Hello mauvehead,

I'll ask too - any updates on the ETA?
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Maniac

After a long development process, we are very proud to announce that Antelope Audio's Thunderbolt Windows Driver is out of beta and available now as an officially supported release. Happy recording!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senchev View Post
Hello all,

Yesterday we pushed the Windows Thunderbolt driver out of Beta and is now officially supported release.

During the Beta period we fixed the outstanding bugs and tweaked the performance. You can check how the Discrete 8 compares to other devices on the Low Latency Performance Data Base Thread. I'd like to thank @ TAFKAT for his great work on the LLP Database and for measuring the Discrete 8.
Latency-wise we were able to get stable playback at 192kHz with 64 samples buffer size in Studio One on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac with Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, which on the Discrete 8 gets you sub-millisecond round-trip latency (0.995ms). The other Antelope Audio Thunderbolt interfaces will show slightly different, but similar and still very low RTL latency numbers (withing ~20 samples), because of the different AD/DA chips used.

The driver is still in active development and a new Beta version will be released later this quarter to support multiple ASIO clients working simultaneously and AFX2DAW. Further release will add native Windows Audio support. Stay tuned!

We've updated the Thunderbolt driver page to include more answers to FAQs, recommended cables and adapters, and a list of known good configuration.

Antelope Audio Windows Thunderbolt™ Driver | Antelope Audio

Special thanks to our Beta users who helped us develop and deliver the driver!

Best regards,
Svetoslav Enchev
Cheers!
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
How about the remaining FPGA FX for the ZenStudio+?
Wait... you guys haven't gotten those as yet???...

Have they abandoned that product line like they did with the original Zen studio?
Old 13th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
The Zen Studio Plus has never received the Impresser, the Bass Amp, Reel-to-Reel, any of the new Preamps, etc. The Impresser for instance was promised over a year ago. The Antelope website even lists Impresser as one of the included FPGA FX for the Zen Studio Plus but we’ve never seen that model yet. It’s been “Coming Soon” ever since. Hence the livid frustration.
Well dang... I can understand the frustration... I have the original Zen studio and it works fine. But I bought it in 2015 only to find out it was discontinued a year later.... But at least im grateful that it still works.
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
The Zen Studio Plus has never received the Impresser, the Bass Amp, Reel-to-Reel, any of the new Preamps, etc. The Impresser for instance was promised over a year ago. The Antelope website even lists Impresser as one of the included FPGA FX for the Zen Studio Plus but we’ve never seen that model yet. It’s been “Coming Soon” ever since. Hence the livid frustration.
Hopefully this comes out soon, I've definitely been annoyed with the lack of updates as well.
Old 10th April 2019
Deleted efff87a
Antelope has added the 2.5 year old Zen Studio Plus to their Legacy list. Several of the promised FPGA AFX and AFX2DAW never happened. Word to the wise.

Never again.
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Antelope has added the 2.5 year old Zen Studio Plus to their Legacy list. Several of the promised FPGA AFX and AFX2DAW never happened. Word to the wise.

Never again.
What a disappointment. I’ve owned both the Zen Studios and after this, I won’t be buying anything from this company ever again.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
What a disappointment. I’ve owned both the Zen Studios and after this, I won’t be buying anything from this company ever again.
Me too. Both Zen Studios. Totally disappointing.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Head

Hi!

All of you deserve an explanation as to why these decisions were taken. The Zen Studio+ is an interface that all of us at Antelope love greatly. And the fact that it is now discontinued is backed by a lot of factors that we had to consider.

In order to fix our mistakes, we have to start somewhere. That's how the decision for discontinuing the Zen Studio+ came, to put our work force into new products, new features with which we don't repeat the same pattern was the approach that we chose and as an Antelope employee, seeing everything that's happening at our main HQ every day, I can tell you that we are doing better and better. All of this takes time, we won't magically be mistake-free and do everything right, but we are putting all of our effort towards that.

I understand that you are end users and that isn't something that should reflect on you in any way. I am an end user myself and I walk in your shoes even though I am an employee at the same time. You won't get AFX2DAW, but we never announced it for the Zen Studio+, so I am okay with not getting it (being an end user), since I never expected it for this device by following the information that our company provided. You still get 80% of the whole library of effects that we offer and the new effects were released quite recently, compared to the release date of the product. The latest effects - I get it, it's a bummer that you won't get them, 4 effects, but still pretty cool ones. Cancelling features that are planned late after a product release happens quite often with all hardware/software companies, due to many different reasons (technical difficulties, lack of interest, etc.).

By saying all of that, I want to say that we hear you, we understand you and we are sorry for our past mistakes, we are moving onto a new timeline and we will do things differently. The Zen Studio+ is not dead, it works - we just won't manufacture it anymore.
Old 2nd May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I also owned both Zen Studios and will never buy another Antelope product.
Old 4 weeks ago
Wow.

Just wow.

I genuinely can't believe what I've read here. I've owned a Zen Studio+ since April 17, 2017 and for about six months it was fantastic. As I've told many, including the folks at Antelope, these are the best converters for the money—hands down. At that six month mark, however, my unit couldn't update without developing issues. Every time I contacted Antelope customer service, we would play phone tag for a while, and I would get the same explanation—roll back, wait for a patch, then update. I wasn't too bothered by this until I realized that my unit was pretty obviously just defective. Fast forward, the thing continues to fall apart. I haven't been able to update in about a year if not more, the talkback section has been dead for months, a quarter of the display is burnt out, and the best Antelope can do is offer to try a repair—but I'll be out of a unit for a minimum of three weeks.

So now, to read this, I can't help but wonder if that offer will be rescinded, too. I've begged for a replacement unit to no avail. I would even gladly accept some sort of discount toward a unit they plan to support for more than two and a half years, but I don't see that happening. So I'll keep working, hoping that the converters aren't the next thing to go, hoping that I can make enough money to afford to not work for a minimum of three weeks while Antelope attempts a repair on a unit that should just be replaced.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by groselicain View Post
Wow.

Just wow.

I genuinely can't believe what I've read here. I've owned a Zen Studio+ since April 17, 2017 and for about six months it was fantastic. As I've told many, including the folks at Antelope, these are the best converters for the money—hands down. At that six month mark, however, my unit couldn't update without developing issues. Every time I contacted Antelope customer service, we would play phone tag for a while, and I would get the same explanation—roll back, wait for a patch, then update. I wasn't too bothered by this until I realized that my unit was pretty obviously just defective. Fast forward, the thing continues to fall apart. I haven't been able to update in about a year if not more, the talkback section has been dead for months, a quarter of the display is burnt out, and the best Antelope can do is offer to try a repair—but I'll be out of a unit for a minimum of three weeks.

So now, to read this, I can't help but wonder if that offer will be rescinded, too. I've begged for a replacement unit to no avail. I would even gladly accept some sort of discount toward a unit they plan to support for more than two and a half years, but I don't see that happening. So I'll keep working, hoping that the converters aren't the next thing to go, hoping that I can make enough money to afford to not work for a minimum of three weeks while Antelope attempts a repair on a unit that should just be replaced.
Hi!

I am very sorry that you encountered those issues.

I would like to find a solution to this right away, I'll contact you via a personal message, as I will need your email/phone number to check your cases with our technical support and proceed with the possible solutions from there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search