The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boz Digital Labs Transgressor Available Now
Old 26th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Boz Digital Labs Transgressor Available Now

Hey guys,

We have a new plugin out that we launched at NAMM, and I'm super excited to get it out to you. It's called Transgressor, and the main idea is that it lets you eq your transients separate from your sustain.

Transgressor – Boz Digital Labs

I know that just hearing that description doesn't sound that exciting, but wait until you hear what you can do with it. Here's a little preview of what this thing can sound like on a super boomy drum kit. No other processing but Transgressor was used on this example.

Before: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rums%20Dry.mp3
After: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Processed.mp3

Here's kind of a long winded video showing how I did this:

Transgressor is on sale for the next week for just $49 (50% off. Ends Feb 4). You can get it here: Transgressor – Boz Digital Labs
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

The amount of shaping this can do on drums is nothing short of amazing. What a fantastic idea for a plugin - having so much fun with it!
Old 27th January 2017
Looks Great Boz!! Looking forward to using this one!

KP
Old 27th January 2017
It's amazing

Been using it all over the last 4 mixes.

BUT, it's a bit buggy. Sometimes I have to try a few times before it passes audio.

PTHD 12.4, OSX 10.8.5
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Addict

Can I ask for a feature?
I have found that I quite like the sound of boosting the sustain portion of the sound on snares. Unfortunately this brings up the bleed. So, maybe a separate "gate" knob and sustain release settings. I.e. the logic would be like this -- transient is detencted, transient EQ applied with set hold and release, then sustain release applied, then gate is applied.
I can use other plugins before (or after) Transgressor as gates, or even two Transgressors in series, but having a gate would be easier and faster.
Anyway, this is seriously cool and powerful plugin!
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
It's amazing

Been using it all over the last 4 mixes.

BUT, it's a bit buggy. Sometimes I have to try a few times before it passes audio.

PTHD 12.4, OSX 10.8.5
I put out an update on Tuesday that should fix this. Here's the direct link to the update.

It will ask you to register again, but other than that, everything should be good.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._1.0.1_Mac.pkg

I do have another update that I'm putting out later today that improves the detector algorithm and gives you lookahead control.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Can I ask for a feature?
I have found that I quite like the sound of boosting the sustain portion of the sound on snares. Unfortunately this brings up the bleed. So, maybe a separate "gate" knob and sustain release settings. I.e. the logic would be like this -- transient is detencted, transient EQ applied with set hold and release, then sustain release applied, then gate is applied.
I can use other plugins before (or after) Transgressor as gates, or even two Transgressors in series, but having a gate would be easier and faster.
Anyway, this is seriously cool and powerful plugin!
I'm pretty torn on this. I agree, in that using this with a gate makes it way more powerful.

but...

1) I don't want to add too much complexity to this plugin. It's already a foreign enough idea that a lot of people have a hard time wrapping their head around how to make it work for them. Adding more options will just make it harder to use for most people, even if it is more powerful for others.

2) I actually have a gate that is 90% finished that should be released next month. I know that gates are the most boring plugin in the world, but this one is actually really cool, and not gimmicky cool. It takes what I believe to be a much better approach to gating. I'm strongly considering making this gate a free product to anyone who purchases Transgressor during the opening sale.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

Great plugin, really like it. The Pro tools expert review was a bit wierd/vague though.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Great plugin, really like it. The Pro tools expert review was a bit wierd/vague though.
Yeah, I got the impression Dan was a bit crunched for time with NAMM and he wasn't able to spend a whole lot of time with it before making the review. One of the downsides of releasing a plugin during NAMM. I've learned my lesson not to do that again.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Can I ask for a feature?
Watching the demo video I started coming up with tons of ideas to process the transient and body parts of the drum differently. I guess the most workable option while keeping the plugin simple is to mult to two tracks, have the transient only on one and the body only on the other.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac

One of the things I was considering doing was making it so you can route the transient and the sustain to separate outputs. That way you could send it to separate tracks and process them however you would like. I don't know if this would be any easier than just duplicating your track and muting the sustain on one and the transient on the other. The main benefit to outputting it to separate tracks is that you'd be able to adjust the release knob and both tracks would follow suit.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Head

That'd be great, to avoid having to setup the threshold twice as well.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I just released an update. 1.0.3.

Improved graphics.
Bug fixes.

Windows: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....3_Windows.exe
Mac: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._1.0.3_Mac.pkg
Old 28th January 2017
Mho
Lives for gear

Amazing stuff!
Old 28th January 2017
Heb
Gear Maniac
Great plugin!
About the graphics, overall the new version is a big improvement but I am not fond of the 3D graphics of the knobs.
There are other manufacturers that do this as well and it always make me feel like Im looking at a piece of hardware with a curved front

I would personally like all the knobs to be like the release knob, its not a dealbreaker (I have already purchased the plug in), just my opinion
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
One of the things I was considering doing was making it so you can route the transient and the sustain to separate outputs. That way you could send it to separate tracks and process them however you would like. I don't know if this would be any easier than just duplicating your track and muting the sustain on one and the transient on the other. The main benefit to outputting it to separate tracks is that you'd be able to adjust the release knob and both tracks would follow suit.
Just don't do it to complicated.................. This is a gem in its "simplicity".

Congrats on a great plugin

PS. I more than take the gate for free (allready bought the Transgressor)
Old 28th January 2017
Here for the gear

The 1.0.3 update, very nice and love the bigger UI, also the inclusion of the lookahead gives it a smoother sound when shaping at more extreme quantities.

The review from protools expert didn't do justice to this plugin, personally I don't see it as a transient shaper, but more as an eq for attack and sustain (removing resonances whitout losing attack, cleaning up the signal with a smooth lowpass on the sustain.)
Traditional transient shapers always mess up the dynamics from acoustic sources in a unnatural way because of the irragularities (humans), for EDM however that works great.

I think that adding an extra gate is unnecessary, so far on my test mixes I rarely had to reach for a gate with this plugin active, except for a few heavier/metal genres.

The option for seperating the attack and sustain to different channels would be a good idea, especially with the upcoming eventide plugin to keep the transgressor competitive function wise. And having the edge to process attack and sustain with your own plugins. But I have no idea how to realize this.

An oversampling option might be a worthwile idea, I did a comparison test with 48khz and 96khz material, and I ''percieved'' a smoother result at 96khz.

I also had another idea, customizable envelopes for attack and sustain if easy to implement.

Question: is the release knob a small crossfade between attack and sustain eq's?

All this is from a mixing engineers perspective,
Regards
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm pretty torn on this. I agree, in that using this with a gate makes it way more powerful.

but...

1) I don't want to add too much complexity to this plugin. It's already a foreign enough idea that a lot of people have a hard time wrapping their head around how to make it work for them. Adding more options will just make it harder to use for most people, even if it is more powerful for others.
One way to get everybody happy,is an "expert" tab, with hidden settings. There are some plugins like that and nobody's complaining. But it's already fine.

Quote:
2) I actually have a gate that is 90% finished that should be released next month. I know that gates are the most boring plugin in the world, but this one is actually really cool, and not gimmicky cool. It takes what I believe to be a much better approach to gating. I'm strongly considering making this gate a free product to anyone who purchases Transgressor during the opening sale.
Whoa, I am NOT the one who thinks gates are boring, quite opposite! Will look forward to what you'd come up with.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Maniac
Purchased. Great plug Boz!
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

The separate outs for the attack and sustain is a great idea. You could do some cool stuff in the vein of another upcoming plugin (I'd imagine)
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think Boz were talking about a seperate gate plugin....... that may be free for those who buy/bought the Transgressor.

NO, no need to have a gate built into the Transgressor IMO
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Does anybody else maybe has an issue with registration of the plugin? I simply cannot enter username in the field, because my keyboard focus remains dedicated to DAW so when I want to write in my username, the keys I press keep reacting as a shortcut in a DAW.

And this happens in all the DAWs, Logic 10.3, Cubase9, Pro Tools HD 12.6.1 and Presonus Studio One 3.

I can only paste serial number, but cannot paste my username.

I use OSX 10.12.2
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Addict

Pumped to try this. I love transient Plugins, and I love Boz Plugins. I'll report back after a mix or two.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Addict

The UI is much better with this new update!
Also, the variable lookahead is nice, found this thing works just fine at zero latency.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

I was skeptical because I mult my drums a fair amount and do my own version of this.

I have to say being able to adjust and fine tune the attack and release tone and volume in one interface is really nice, and I think will lead to better results. Very nice work.

Being able to route attack and release to different outputs would be great for times when you want to saturate or compress them differently. Also, sending just one or the other to reverb can be cool too.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Does anybody else maybe has an issue with registration of the plugin? I simply cannot enter username in the field, because my keyboard focus remains dedicated to DAW so when I want to write in my username, the keys I press keep reacting as a shortcut in a DAW.

And this happens in all the DAWs, Logic 10.3, Cubase9, Pro Tools HD 12.6.1 and Presonus Studio One 3.

I use OSX 10.12.2
Worked for me in Logic 10.3 and OSX 10.12.3.
I typed my user name rather than paste it as I call.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Worked for me in Logic 10.3 and OSX 10.12.3.
I typed my user name rather than paste it as I call.
Thanks mate, didn't even know 10.12.3. existed, so just checked and found it in App Store. Will update and hope it is going to resolve my issue! Thanks!
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post

I use OSX 10.12.2
Send me an email and I'll get you up and working. I should be able to get to my emails tonight.
Old 29th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Send me an email and I'll get you up and working. I should be able to get to my emails tonight.
Hi Boz, I already send a support ticket via contact form on your website. But will also send you email., thanks.
Old 29th January 2017
WKG
Lives for gear
Added here too, very nice. Really flexible and not just for drums.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search