Old 31st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Anyone try this with guitars or bass?
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt8 View Post
Seems like it should work great on any percussive part. Muted, plucky bass or palm-muted guitar. If the part changes volume much you'll probably have to automate the threshold. I've got some stuff to mix I plan on trying it on. It might be cool on rap or aggressive vocals too.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

As it's not a conventional transient shaper it doesn't seem to work as expected on less percussive sounds. Compared to the likes of Sonnox Envolution that is, or the PA Elysia. On the other hand it's the best I've used on drums and perc by a country mile.
Old 31st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
As it's not a conventional transient shaper it doesn't seem to work as expected on less percussive sounds. Compared to the likes of Sonnox Envolution that is, or the PA Elysia. On the other hand it's the best I've used on drums and perc by a country mile.
I'm avoiding marketing it as anything but a drum shaper for now, because you are correct, it's far more effective on drums than anything else I've used it on. I did improve the transient detector algorithm to work better on non-drum sounds in the latest version, but it still takes a bit of work to really dial it in. I plan on improving it still, so long as I can not sacrifice the way it works on drums.

I'll be making some tutorial videos on how to dial it in for other sources, because it's not quite as straight forward. But for drums, it should be pretty simple.
Old 31st January 2017
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
I did. You can get some interesting violin like sounds by killing the transient portion and boosting the sustain side.
Old 31st January 2017
Heb
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
I'm avoiding marketing it as anything but a drum shaper for now, because you are correct, it's far more effective on drums than anything else I've used it on. I did improve the transient detector algorithm to work better on non-drum sounds in the latest version, but it still takes a bit of work to really dial it in. I plan on improving it still, so long as I can not sacrifice the way it works on drums.

I'll be making some tutorial videos on how to dial it in for other sources, because it's not quite as straight forward. But for drums, it should be pretty simple.
I think that's the right way to go, do not change anything that would compromise they way it works on drums as it is now.
If you want to expand it to work equally well on other sources in the future I would recommend a system like Eventide seems to be using in their new plug (I think it's called Fission, haven't tried it) which from what I've seen has the option to change algo for the detection depending on the source..
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac

Here, I just made this super quick to show how I use this on acoustic guitars to dial in the pick attack. Sorry, I'm fumbling through it a bit, it was just a one-taker.

Old 1st February 2017
Gear Maniac

I´m amazed and very surprised by what this baby can do to ordinairy drumloops in a very short time. Not in the studio right now, but I´ll post an example the next days.
Old 1st February 2017
Gear Head

Love this plug!

I tend to demo plugins nowadays trying to find something to make me not want to purchase. Couldn't find that thing here. How fast I was able to shape & polish some drum tracks out the sampler made this an immediate purchase for me.

I'm able to do with this one plug what would usually require like three plugins to accomplish to the same degree sound-wise (EQ+transient shaper+gate), but a whole lot faster and with better results. This thing has put all my other transient plugs to bed for drums.

Props to Boz on this one. Easily my favorite of their plugs.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space1uno View Post
Props to Boz on this one. Easily my favorite of their plugs.
I agree.
Hopefully I will keep using this one for a long time
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Addict

Unless I'm missing something as I've only just started with it, but i feel like this baby needs a way of controlling the release of the sustain portion to make it a one stop tool, for all my needs at least.

I work predominately with samples making electronic music, and when I make my own music I can draw whatever volume curve onto the audio clip but when faced with mixing another producers stuff that gets tiring quick.

Another idea for complexity I'm afraid but wouldn't it be cool if on the sustain square where the eq controls are, a button could be selected and then a separate graphic appears that enables the drawing of an envelope shape for the release portion?

A future update perhaps?

It seems like it's going to be a useful plugin for me but that feature would meet all my needs nicely.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
Unless I'm missing something as I've only just started with it, but i feel like this baby needs a way of controlling the release of the sustain portion to make it a one stop tool, for all my needs at least.

I work predominately with samples making electronic music, and when I make my own music I can draw whatever volume curve onto the audio clip but when faced with mixing another producers stuff that gets tiring quick.

Another idea for complexity I'm afraid but wouldn't it be cool if on the sustain square where the eq controls are, a button could be selected and then a separate graphic appears that enables the drawing of an envelope shape for the release portion?

A future update perhaps?

It seems like it's going to be a useful plugin for me but that feature would meet all my needs nicely.
The reason it doesn't do this is because adjusting the decay or something that already has a natural decay (or not) would yield wildly different results depending on what you sent into it. If I have a kick that naturally has almost no ring to it, there's not a whole you you can do to add decay without adding massive amounts of compression, which would create it's own new set of issues.

You can run two of these in series, and have the first one focus on the attack, and then on the second one, bypass the eq and turn down the sustain, then use the release knob to dial in your decay to be however long or short you want it. Well, not however long. It's limited to the length of the original decay, to some degree.

If you want fuller control over the length of your decay, Sasquatch or Little Foot does a much better job of that, because it triggers a synth that lets you set the decay to be however long you want it to be.
Old 2nd February 2017
Gear Addict

I was thinking along the lines of a triggered envelope shaper, much like Cable Guys volume shaper is capable of retriggering the envelope shape via midi, which is a pain to be honest. If that was tied to being retriggered to the detector instead then it would really cool.

But saying that, your tip works in controlling the length of the release in the way I wanted anyway which was only just to shorten the release if needs be. Nothing too funky.

Thanks for that
Old 3rd February 2017
Been using this a bit on a mix with a lot of hats bleed everywhere and it has tightened things up nicely - also used the snare to make the room mics open in time with the hits like the demo video suggested and it worked great on this track.

One thing though

Should my detector knob have a weird looking fold above it? What is that in the GUI?
Attached Images
Boz Digital Labs Transgressor Available Now-screen-shot-2017-02-02-4.20.58-pm.png 
Old 3rd February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Been using this a bit on a mix with a lot of hats bleed everywhere and it has tightened things up nicely - also used the snare to make the room mics open in time with the hits like the demo video suggested and it worked great on this track.

One thing though

Should my detector knob have a weird looking fold above it? What is that in the GUI?
Ha. I didn't think anyone would notice. I'm adding a button right there that lets you lock the detector settings when switching through presets. I didn't have that button ready when I made the last update, so I had to do kind of a hack job of removing it. The next update will have the button there.
Old 3rd February 2017
Quote:
Ha. I didn't think anyone would notice. I'm adding a button right there that lets you lock the detector settings when switching through presets. I didn't have that button ready when I made the last update, so I had to do kind of a hack job of removing it. The next update will have the button there.
Ha - perfect - I thought I was loosing it for a second there
Old 7th February 2017
Here for the gear

Just wanted to say amazing plugin, Boz. My first Boz purchase! This thing really is as advertised. It cleans up poorly recorded close mic'ed drums so well that I no longer have to resort to layering samples to achieve the punch and sound I want. There have been several other plugins that have attempted this type of thing but this is the first that has combined the eq and transient designer into such an easy to use combination. Tried it on some tom tracks on a song which is representative of a lot of material I work on and it allowed me to enhance what were essentially good sounding tracks - but with too much cymbal bleed to be able to do any type of extra processing that did not just suck the life out of the sound. Now I have clean, punchy, useable tom tracks that MIGHT just need to touch of compression...I say MIGHT. They sound that good. Awesome. BTW I agree that some sort of built in gate might make this THE one stop drum processor. Also I would really like to be able to grab and drag the graphical part of the eq section to change the frequency and cut/boost. Maybe just me but it is just natural to want to reach directly to the graphical curve when I see it! Thanks for the great plugin.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Addict

Brilliant plugin. The first transient designer I truly love and have tried most. This smokes my hardware transient designer and Nvelope even. Amazing work.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Head
Totally a great and must have plug in. I was instantly excited when I got the preview before launch at NAMM. I just recently mixed a record with classical guitar where the artist had too much sustain on an arpeggiated section, so the notes would not sit well in the mix. I did fix it, but I just retried using transgressor. Very easy and great sounding result. Also sculpting a Motown bass (Babbitt sponge sound) is easily done. This is one of the plug ins that makes working itb really exciting... well done.

Full disclosure: I work part-time for Xchange and IMSTA
Old 25th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
It's amazing on pick-style rock bass. Would probably be cool on el. guitar if you can sidechain it from the clean DI signal.

What a friggin' home run this plugin is. Don't be shy: big bass and treble boosts, wide lo-mid 'muck' cuts all sound great.

Free tip: two Transgressors in series on the room drum mic, one sidechained from the kick, one from the snare. Which one comes before the other depends on what you need it to do, but the possibilities are endless. More shells than cymbals or viceversa, balance the level of the kick and the snare in the room mic, change the tone of the of the cymbals but not the shells or viceversa, and on and on.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is a fix on this almost ready? And the button?
Old 30th July 2017
Lives for gear

$43 US in cart at audiodeluxe.com right now.
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Maniac

how is fission compared to this?
Old 11th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Hopefully I will keep using this one for a long time
Update?
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Update?
It’s been a while, since i used it
Old 11th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
It’s been a while, since i used it
Well well
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Still two regular uses here:

-make single kick mic sound like inner and outer mics

-fine-tune overheads/room mics
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

When installing the 1.0.7 version, the info banner on the plugin shows v 1.0.5 (it shows 1.0.7 in the windows' programs and features).

Further more, many of the Boz plugins doesn't report correctly the Bypass status (when trying to "bypass all" from the Cubase mixer), and are missing the Bypass button within the plugin editor in Cubase 9.5/10.

All above goes for the Vst3 version in Cubase 9.5 and 10 on Windows 10...

PS. I tried the Vst2 version, of only the Transgressor... and the Bypass function worked as expected (forgot to check if it reported the wrong version number).

One of my fav plugins for drums... but I may have to continue to use the Vst2 version.

PS. I have sent a support request to Boz... But haven't heard back for a week... Is this the usual turnaround for supporter requests? If so, NOT good!
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Just picked it up on sale for $25 at Audio Deluxe.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Just picked it up on sale for $25 at Audio Deluxe.
I recommend using the Vst2 version for now... especially on Cubase (if you have not, please read my post above).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search