The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Dynaudio LYD 48: 3-way active monitor
Old 21st December 2018
Lives for gear

Tried the twins, they don’t have enough bass to compete with the dynaudios... if anyone else is curious
Old 21st December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Tried the twins, they don’t have enough bass to compete with the dynaudios... if anyone else is curious
It's hard to compare 2.5-ways with 3-ways system. Personally, I don't like any 2.5 speakers.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

My speakers are in the classifieds. If you’ve been lusting over the lyd 48, then here’s your chance to get it ridiculously cheap. They are clinical and accurate with great bass. It’s real strengths to me are mixing vocals. My room has a soft spot at 160 hz and I just got new monitors that have a bell at that very spot
@ M Albazy I always suspect 3 way of being light in bass
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Hey guys, has anyone had a chance to compare the LYDs 48 with Focal Trios?
Old 17th May 2019
Just ordered the LYD48's and the 18S sub for my 6.2m x 5m x 2.9m room (slanted ceiling)

It's a one room studio so I will have to put them against the wall but I am hoping the EQ on the Sub will help me with a mode at 60Hz and a dip at 100 I have at the mix position. I have it set up with live end dead end.

I am moving up from Adam A7X, which I found a little under-powered for that size room, especially for playback for the artists after a take.

I am also hoping to get a better picture down lower to be able to mix more modern stuff and if they sit right in the room maybe even aspire to some simple mastering work. I am getting a bit cheesed off at artists I tell to take it to proper mastering 'cos I don't have the right setup then taking it to a buddy in a bedroom who says he does mastering and they mess up the low end on my (great) mix
Old 30th June 2019
Here for the gear

Hey! I had work on my dyn48 for few months now. And I have strange experience with my ears, now they very sensitive to 2000-5000 kHz. Not only on this speakers but in general. Can it be cause of harshness of hi-mid range on lyd48? Maybe it’s just a coincidence I don’t know ) Does anybody’s have the same problem or it’s just me?
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox90 View Post
Hey! I had work on my dyn48 for few months now. And I have strange experience with my ears, now they very sensitive to 2000-5000 kHz. Not only on this speakers but in general. Can it be cause of harshness of hi-mid range on lyd48? Maybe it’s just a coincidence I don’t know ) Does anybody’s have the same problem or it’s just me?
For me, they’re just extremely detailed and clear in the mids. They sound harsh if you have a mix that’s harsh. Smooth if you have a mix that’s smooth.
Old 30th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
For me, they’re just extremely detailed and clear in the mids. They sound harsh if you have a mix that’s harsh. Smooth if you have a mix that’s smooth.
They sounds very good, but hi-mid range is a little bit hyped to me. Even on many of pop reference tracks I hear the same. 3kHz biting my brains))
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They sounds very good, but hi-mid range is a little bit hyped to me. Even on many of pop reference tracks I hear the same. 3kHz biting my brains))
Interesting. Nothing like that over here and I have extreme sensitivity to hi mids due to years of abusing my ears in bands. It’s one of the reasons I’ve always gravitated towards Dynaudios, they don’t fatigue me.
Old 1st July 2019
Agreed with the speaker above, the Lyd 48s does not have harsh hi-mid. The 3k area seems pretty neutral to me, and I find that my hi-mids translate well to other rooms and systems when I mix on them. That beings said, two points coming up here: 1. I'd rather have hyped hi-mids so that I don't over-compensate and send harsh-sounding mixes out into the world, and 2. a lot of modern pop music does have hyped hi-mids. Hyped hi-mids makes stuff sound loud, and pop music masters is still about loudness in this post-LUFS world.

Are you listening loudly, Paradox90? One of the things I love about these speakers is that they translate very well when used on lower volumes too. You still get the full frequency image.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Also, any reflections from desks, walls etc nearby? What’s your distance to the speakers? Tried the EQ tilt for a less sharp presentation?
Old 2nd July 2019
Quote:
Does anybody’s have the same problem or it’s just me?
Compared to many of my previous monitors, I find the whole mid-range of my 48's really good and one of its strengths. No harshness to my ears, only pure honest reproduction. The feedback they provide when I start equalizing just feels right.

Quote:
I have strange experience with my ears, now they very sensitive to 2000-5000 kHz. Not only on this speakers but in general.
I guess that's it, then?
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Was a little sizzly in the 4k region but translated perfectly everywhere. Probably need a cloud above your desk. And don’t listen too loud when doin stuff with a lot of hi midsx you’ll over compensate your low end
Old 15th July 2019
Gear Addict

Did anyone ever hear a resolution on the 4k harmonic issue discussed on pages 5-8?
Old 17th July 2019
LYD48 with 18S sub

So I got the LYD48’s and the 18S sub.

My room is 6.5m x 5.3m and a sloped ceiling that goes from 2.8m to 3.3m.

I have the LYD48’s on homemade stands for the moment with the 18S sub off center. The LYD48’s are about 7 inches from the wall with a 4 inch broadband absorber behind them.

I am coming from Adam A7X which I got a few years ago when I was in a smaller room.

First impressions were very good indeed. I fid limited burn in (about 1 hr of pink noise) and I had to start using them for a project.

The move from 2-way to 3-way has been amazing ... although as I have used them with the sub from day 1 I guess I actually went to 4-way.

After a week I did a scan with Sonarworks and took the bottom 3 issues and programmed the EQ to compensate into the 18S sub. Then I rescanned with Sonarworks again and set up a profile with those less drastic curves.
I switched Sonarworks off after a few days and have spent the last 3 weeks without it. When I am between projects I will maybe re-consider.

Impressions so far: Wonderful speakers, Sub is fantastic and they work together wonderfully.
I was finally able to have a guitarrist rock out on them as we recorded some overdubs... this was not something I could have done on the Adams.

Update: I was finding that mixes were coming out a bit light on the low end in car tests etc so I tweaked the sub volume to be -3db and mixes are now translating much better. The mid detail is still feeling wonderful.

Last edited by javamad; 7th August 2019 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Addict

For the record I did reach out to Dynaudio a few weeks back and got no reply.
Old 16th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs View Post
Did anyone ever hear a resolution on the 4k harmonic issue discussed on pages 5-8?
Bump for this as well
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hello

I'm not a professional music guy but I'm interested in these as a home solution. The alternative being the XEO 20s. But a few have suggested I'd get more for my money going for the LYDs and that they are not tiring speakers to listen to unlike many professional monitors.

How do you think these would work out? My biggest concern is positioning. I'm not going to be sat the exact number of millimeters between each speaker at all time, or more likely, at any time. They'll be in a medium sized room, a couple of meters apart.
Old 16th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagoo View Post
Hello

I'm not a professional music guy but I'm interested in these as a home solution. The alternative being the XEO 20s. But a few have suggested I'd get more for my money going for the LYDs and that they are not tiring speakers to listen to unlike many professional monitors.

How do you think these would work out? My biggest concern is positioning. I'm not going to be sat the exact number of millimeters between each speaker at all time, or more likely, at any time. They'll be in a medium sized room, a couple of meters apart.
I don't have them, but the recommended distance is 1.5-2.5 meters (generally as an equilateral triangle)
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I come from working many years with ADAM speakers.
The switch from ADAM to Dynaudio LYD 48 was at first a little odd, they are totally different.
But after adjusting to the "soft" sound of the LYD 48, I am so happy I bought them.
You mix in a totally different way compared to the ADAM.
I still love ADAM, but will now work with the LYD in a break in period to see if they give the results I am after.
I hope so, cos they are so revealing and smooth
KK
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

One more thing: They work really good as Hi Fi speakers, but at the same time give you the truth when you mix, in a good way(!)
Really different from how ADAM expose the music, but both brands to their own thing.
KK
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman123 View Post
One more thing: They work really good as Hi Fi speakers, but at the same time give you the truth when you mix, in a good way(!)
Really different from how ADAM expose the music, but both brands to their own thing.
KK
What Adam monitors are you coming from?
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

I just got my LYD 48. All I can say is believe the positive reviews. I even heard some Grammy winning mixes sound bad and great mixes sounded great. Not sure how they did this in such a balanced way. PS. You MUST take the time to position them as instructed in the manual. And use your ears and you will know when you got em right. Inches matter.
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

Sounds great in my midsized room 12x20x10. I think adding a sub would depend on space and how loud you wanna playback lows or post for film. I do RnB with deep bass and these satisfy my bass needs. They actually start to open up after 3 hours of play...that's when you realize you dont wanna stop listening to them. Build quality is not an issue and the packaging is outstanding if that matters to you. I just wish more people would try them and review them because they are overshadowed by the other 3ways. These are not even the same LYD bloodline in my opinion. These seem to have been an improvement to the Base LYD in every way.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

I still friggin' love mine. They'll be with me for a long time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Still very happy with mine.

I have the LYD48's and the 18S sub.

As I mentioned above I turned the sub down 3db and it seemed to gel the whole sound better. I am using the EQ in the 18S to fix a bit of the low end in my room (node at 110 and null at 70-ish)

I recently sent off a pop rock mix to mastering and the comment was that "there was nothing to fix, I just brought up levels and added some thickness." ... so very happy

I feel they are just the right power levels to give the band a good feeling on playback and the right detail for working long hours on fine grain moves.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Can you quote a couple of songs so I can listen and check in my room?
Old 4 weeks ago
What is a picture of the old LYD48's of @ Deckdaddy doing in an article by Duke Taber?

https://easychurchtech.com/dynaudio-...roducers-love/
New Dynaudio LYD 48: 3-way active monitor-capture.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New Dynaudio LYD 48: 3-way active monitor-capture.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No idea, hasn’t asked permission. Not a pro pic either, just a smartphone pic, and now with twice the compression artifacts lol.

I’m super happy with my Kii three, but I bet I’d also like the new Core 47, or rather 59 as they are bigger. If they were out back when I sold my LYD 48’s to step up in headroom I might have gone from Dynaudio to Dynaudio.

47 look kind of familiar
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Duke Taber don't give a f***. Duke Taber do what he want.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search