The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KH 80 DSP raises the standard of monitor sound
Old 19th January 2017
News Desk Editor

Neumann KH 80 DSP raises the standard of monitor sound

Neumann KH 80 DSP raises the standard of monitor sound-akh80dspquarter.jpg

With the KH 80 DSP, Neumann.Berlin launches its first studio monitor with digital signal processing. “Our DSP engine is an in-house development that primarily takes a formerly unknown variable and makes it calculable: the room. Expect clear, high-precision sound wherever you are monitoring,” explains Wolfgang Fraissinet, President of Neumann.

Thanks to the upcoming “Neumann.Control” software, in the future the new KH 80 DSP two-way near-field studio monitor will be able to fully calibrate itself to the room. This can be performed either automatically (Precision Alignment), with some simple questions (Guided Alignment), or adjusted with complete flexibility using the built in 8-band fully parametric equalizer (Manual Alignment).

“In the KH series we have always been obsessed with the details when it comes to the calculation and modeling of the drivers, waveguide and cabinet,” emphasizes Fraissinet. The result is a frequency response with such neutrality that it defines a whole new reference class – and at a price that was previously unthinkable for a Neumann Studio Monitor. Using mathematical models, the two drivers were calculated to a degree of depth, “which is unusual even for our industry,” explains Fraissinet. Nonlinear distortion is thus minimized from the very beginning. The MMD™ Waveguide (Mathematically Modelled Dispersion™) optimizes the frequency response on- and off-axis, and enables more movement within the listening area and more consistency even in the most varied acoustic environments.

The KH 80 DSP is designed as an ideal monitor solution for recording, mixing and mastering in project, music, broadcasting and post-production studios.

Every mechanical and electronic element – from the driver to the amplification – is handpicked and harmonized in accordance with Neumann standards. The DSP engine also ensures a linear frequency response with a FIR filter. This makes sure that in every environment all frequencies are precisely timed.

The KH 80 DSP will be available from February 2017.
Neumann.Control will be available from Q2 2017.

Visit Sennheiser and Neumann in Hall A, Booth 6577.

We kindly invite you to our press conference on Thursday, January 19th at 1 p.m. at the booth.

Link : http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neuma..._KH80_DSP_A_G#
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann KH 80 DSP raises the standard of monitor sound-akh80dspquarter.jpg   Neumann KH 80 DSP raises the standard of monitor sound-kh80dspback.jpg  
Old 19th January 2017
Having already a 5" monitor in their line I was specting a 6.5" more than a 4" monitor :/
Old 20th January 2017
with 120s being a touch big and heavy for some location work, I'm happy to see this addition. Hopefully they are priced nicely. Could care less about the DSP though.

Have you ever sat with a pair of 120s? They can do a whole hell of a lot. Having listened to 120s and 300s, it doesn't feel like there is a hole in their line to me.
Old 20th January 2017
Sweetwater lists them at 499 a piece. I'm impressed.
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Head

Anyone have these yet? It'd be great to hear some real world feedback.
Old 15th April 2017
I bought them today and had the chance to compare against KH 120. Come back later ...
Old 15th April 2017
I've been in the city today and took home the KH 80. I compared to Neumann KH 120, ADAM AX 3 - ADAM AX 7 and some FOCAL models. First I compared YAMAHA HS 5 (which I had here for 2 weeks, but I was not satisfied with the quality) and the KH 80. The KH 80 sounded by far better and also the bass extension goes MUCH deeper at the KH 80. The bass is also very punchy, well defined and controlled. Compared to ADAM AX 3 and ADAM AX 5 I clearly favour the KH 80. The bass of the KH 80 is better than of the AX 5. The ADAMs have clearer highs but sounded a bit boring at low frequencies. The sound character of the KH 80 was quite similar to the FOCALs (e.g. CMS 65). Compared to the KH 120 the KH 80 sounds more into you face and the mids are better imo. The KH 120 had a bit a bathtub character. Both (KH 120 and KH 80) are very good speakers, but because of limited space I decided to go for the KH 80. Soundwise it's hard to tell which is the better speaker, but the guy in the shop also had the impression that KH 120 has less mids and a bit of a bathtub. I think, that here the room comes into play and one has to compare at home ...
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Auditioned these at a local store next to the KH 120's and the smaller Dynaudio Lyd's today. I just kept coming back to the KH 80's. In comparison, the 120's sounded too scooped and laid-back and the Lyd's were way too bright yet also came across as a bit mushy-sounding to me.

From the KH 80's I got a fast and distinct low end with clear and revealing mids, maybe even a tad aggressive, but in a feel-good analytical way. Very impressed and surprised from this first encounter. These speakers are small but punch well above their size. I felt they had a very "quick" and transient-rich sound to them. Might just have found my new B-pair.

//Sven
Old 20th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
Auditioned these at a local store next to the KH 120's and the smaller Dynaudio Lyd's today. I just kept coming back to the KH 80's. In comparison, the 120's sounded too scooped and laid-back and the Lyd's were way too bright yet also came across as a bit mushy-sounding to me.

From the KH 80's I got a fast and distinct low end with clear and revealing mids, maybe even a tad aggressive, but in a feel-good analytical way. Very impressed and surprised from this first encounter. These speakers are small but punch well above their size. I felt they had a very "quick" and transient-rich sound to them. Might just have found my new B-pair.

//Sven
That's exactly my impression too.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
That's exactly my impression too.
Did you end up trying 'em out in a mix situation?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw you bought 'em. How are you liking these so far? Do they translate well?

Last edited by borg64; 20th April 2017 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Always.
Old 20th April 2017
I'm just at the beginning with producing and mixing (mainly with renoise) so at that stage I can't say how they translate. I first bought the YAMAHA HS 5 which had quality issues with the woofers. When hearing the Neumann and all other (more expensive) speakers I also realized that the HS 5 were very weak in the bass. My room is untreated and the speakers are just ~ 90 cm apart so the size of the Neumann and the DSP is just perfect for my purpose. If I had the space I might have taken the YAMAHA HS 7 but they are just too big for me. Hope the KH 80 will do the job for the next 10 years .
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Cool, I used a lot of trackers back in the late eighties/early nineties, have to check out Renoise one of these days. Hope you get lots of enjoyable mileage out of your new speakers. Will try to get a pair in for work duty assessment asap.
Old 30th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I've been in the city today and took home the KH 80. I compared to Neumann KH 120, ADAM AX 3 - ADAM AX 7 and some FOCAL models. First I compared YAMAHA HS 5 (which I had here for 2 weeks, but I was not satisfied with the quality) and the KH 80. The KH 80 sounded by far better and also the bass extension goes MUCH deeper at the KH 80. The bass is also very punchy, well defined and controlled. Compared to ADAM AX 3 and ADAM AX 5 I clearly favour the KH 80. The bass of the KH 80 is better than of the AX 5. The ADAMs have clearer highs but sounded a bit boring at low frequencies. The sound character of the KH 80 was quite similar to the FOCALs (e.g. CMS 65). Compared to the KH 120 the KH 80 sounds more into you face and the mids are better imo. The KH 120 had a bit a bathtub character. Both (KH 120 and KH 80) are very good speakers, but because of limited space I decided to go for the KH 80. Soundwise it's hard to tell which is the better speaker, but the guy in the shop also had the impression that KH 120 has less mids and a bit of a bathtub. I think, that here the room comes into play and one has to compare at home ...
Hey by the " the city "!
Do you mean New York city.
because then i would like to visit that store sometime next week and test the monitors myself too.
if yes, which store is it ? Thanks
Old 1st May 2017
No, Karlsruhe, Germany ... bit smaller
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Head

I was amazed when I read the specs compared to the KH120 there were only 6hz difference on the low end spec. Hopefully there will be greater audio over ethernet integration in the future, networking these together would be a really great option.
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Head

Direct competitor to Genelec 8320. Both of them have AD-conversion and not a digital input, which bugs me a little. What do you think, will it matter? Maybe only a little.
Old 19th October 2017
Here for the gear

Any more (new?) opinions on these in the meantime?

Would be highly appreciated.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Any more (new?) opinions on these in the meantime?

Would be highly appreciated.
Ended up buying a pair about a month ago, and still stand by my initial impression. Switching between these and my PSI mains, I notice some slight boxiness on the KH's, but they are fantastic mix tools and made for a great addition to my particular setup. Bass translation is surprisingly accurate, and the mid range just feels great and revealing to me. Well worth an audition, IMO.

//Sven
Old 26th October 2017
Gear Maniac
I've been through a lot of monitors - too many, really. I had the KH120s a few years ago and recently realized that in retrospect I did a lot of my best work while I was using those. But there was always something a little bit 'veiled' about the sound, for lack of a better word. So I thought I'd give the KH80 a shot, and my experience is that they have the natural sound that made the 120s so easy to use but they're better at allowing you to hear 'into' a mix in the way that some of the higher-end monitors I tried out are able to do. I haven't been able to listen to both at the same time but these seem to have just as much useable bass as the 120s did, which is to say I check my bass with headphones but rarely need to make any changes. So I hope to stick with these for a really long time!
Old 26th October 2017
Here for the gear
I just bought them, so happy, the best decision ever! Sounds Amazing, tight Low end, clear mids and hi.
Thanks Neumann!
Old 27th October 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you all for your insights.

Seems I should have a look on these.
Old 2nd November 2017
Here for the gear

I went to my nearest musical store to AB these with gens 8020D and Yam HS5.. Needless to say I took the plunge and purchased them (KH80s). Instantly liked how defined the KH were at the lower end of the spectrum especially for a 4inch driver.. The transient response was good..Happy with the buy and would recommend them highly..
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Has anyone else compared them to the 120s?
Old 24th November 2017
Here for the gear

I am looking at these or the Genelec 8320 SAM speaker system. I am drawn toward the Genelecs because of the SAM system (comes with measurement mic and calibration software). The SAM system has been very acclaimed, and I like the ability to customize the DSP to your room.

Neumann talks about the "upcoming" Neumann.Control software that will use the network integration in the KH series. But it looks like the software has been "coming soon" for almost a year! I love the price of the KH 80s, so depending on how the Neumann.Control software pans out, it would be my choice hands down. Anybody have any knowledge or inside scoop about the software? Release date/functionality?
Old 28th November 2017
Lives for gear

Guys, do you have any new opinions on these speakers?

I can't decide between the 120s and these. Soon I'm going to change my apartment and i'll need to move my ITB studio in this new, 7 m2 small room. Any suggestions on this?

p.s. I know, it'll be great if i could try them and compare them but i can't.

edit: I produce and mix my own stuff; basically a wide range of electronic music

Last edited by dotl; 28th November 2017 at 11:49 PM..
Old 29th November 2017
I'd be inclined to go with the KH 80 DSP and take my time looking for a good sub to match. I like the idea of the digital crossover in the 80, especially with the FIR filters, and did notice that the specs listed by Neumann suggest and even higher long term spl capability than the 120 with pink noise and a sub (96 dB/pr vs 94 dB at 2.3 m).
See 'Technical Data' here:
Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring
and here:
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
I'd be inclined to go with the KH 80 DSP and take my time looking for a good sub to match. I like the idea of the digital crossover in the 80, especially with the FIR filters, and did notice that the specs listed by Neumann suggest and even higher long term spl capability than the 120 with pink noise and a sub (96 dB/pr vs 94 dB at 2.3 m).
See 'Technical Data' here:
and here:
TBH, I hate subwoofers; had them before and never liked them. I don't really understand the advantage of FIR filters and digital crossovers so I'll have to believe you do

What bothers me, more than the spls, is the difference in harmonic distortion between them. Will this make a perceivable difference?

KH120:

KH80:
Old 29th November 2017
The advantage, as I see it, of digital crossovers is the steeper slopes they allow—in this case the KH 120 has a 4th order (24 dB/octave) analog crossover at line level and the KH 80 has an 8th order (48 dB/octave) digital crossover. Steep slopes have advantages in that tonality (frequency response) can be more even when the speaker is listened to off-axis, but done in the analog domain there is substantial phase rotation at the point of crossover. FIR filters can be phase correct through the crossover point, even with these extremely steep slopes.

Also, the steep LF rolloff and flat response down to the rolloff point makes integration with a sub easier than with a speaker with the usual hump before rolloff (to give the false impression of greater bass extension than really exists). K+H designs don't do this.

Good subs are not that common, though. A steep low pass filter is desirable, again, for better integration. I prefer at least two subs; one can be difficult to place where it doesn't excite room modes too strongly.
I really like the (very) old Yamaha YST SW100 which can be found cheap secondhand and which, apparently, was meant to accompany the NS10. I bought a couple of them for $35 and $25 each. Amazing bang for buck.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Just saw on Thomann new price for the 120s, 599 euros incl.VAT vs 499 for the 80s. Not a big difference...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search