The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Unveils Third-Generation StudioLive Series III Consoles
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Yep, I know, but none of them were released in 2017, some of them are several years old AND none of those are marketed as studio pieces. Those are focus only in live sound...
But there are no new live consoles in this range AT ALL released last year or this year, operating at 96kHz So....there's that. I don't know of any active loudspeakers in the MI world with 96kHz digital inputs either.
Old 28th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomation View Post
But there are no new live consoles in this range AT ALL released last year or this year, operating at 96kHz So....there's that. I don't know of any active loudspeakers in the MI world with 96kHz digital inputs either.
Ok... I'm not arguing with you on that. I'm a studio guy. Haven't done a proper FOH job in... 5-6 years...

The I really love the advantages a digital mixer can bring to the studio and this one seemed like it ticked a lot of the right marks... but limited to 48Khz and MAYBE 44 in the future just makes it useless to me.

Too bad :/
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Addict
From Presonus @ NAMM 2017: The roundtrip latency in the mixer itself is 1.9ms from analog input to analog output with all processing running. When going in/out of a computer via USB the latency will be 7.5ms at 32 sample buffer.
Old 9th February 2017
Here for the gear

Regarding the Presonus Studiolive series III, 16 and 32 mixers:

Regarding the Presonus Studiolive series III, 16 and 32 mixers:

Hello, Im new here, not sure of protocol. Hope this is okay...

They will NOT have full DAW control of studio one until likely later this year well
after they ship, that's what the REP said to me at their NAMM 2017 booth and it will NOT have MCU and HUI support until likely later this year as well. Studio one DAW control will likely come first, then MCU and HUI support. I mentioned to him that I thought they should be calling their mixers Livestudio in that they seem to be made more for live work then studio secondary, he hesitantly laughed and agreed. Please let others know of the lack of out of the box DAW control for these forthcoming Mixers. They will however be able to record onto an SD card in each unit, but he made it sound as though this feature would be for backing up a live show rather than to be used as a stand alone recording machine, but im not informed as to the full abilities of this feature. They do have transport function buttons for hopefully DAW recording as well.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
From Presonus @ NAMM 2017: The roundtrip latency in the mixer itself is 1.9ms from analog input to analog output with all processing running. When going in/out of a computer via USB the latency will be 7.5ms at 32 sample buffer.
I wonder how their drivers will work at the 32 sample buffer setting. That's pretty low to not have clicks, snapping sounds, etc.
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
I wonder how their drivers will work at the 32 sample buffer setting. That's pretty low to not have clicks, snapping sounds, etc.
I want to love those numbers but until I hear from someone that can say how well it does in real world settings I will do my best to reserve my excitement.
Can anyone report anything?
Old 1st June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ok... I'm not arguing with you on that. I'm a studio guy. Haven't done a proper FOH job in... 5-6 years...

The I really love the advantages a digital mixer can bring to the studio and this one seemed like it ticked a lot of the right marks... but limited to 48Khz and MAYBE 44 in the future just makes it useless to me.

Too bad :/
Hey Jeronimo, I'm curious as to why you are so attracted to the idea of the console running at 96? I would have felt that it would be going overkill, considering the desk is so low end it simply cannot have converters and preamps that are even remotely good. Most midrange interfaces would kill it for converter/preamp quality, it doesn't seem worth it to run the console at that rate if the rest of the chain is so budget.

it just seems to me that if the quality difference between 48->96 is such a big deal to you then you should be complaining more about the low end conversion and preamps
Old 1st June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrofDissonance View Post
Hey Jeronimo, I'm curious as to why you are so attracted to the idea of the console running at 96? I would have felt that it would be going overkill, considering the desk is so low end it simply cannot have converters and preamps that are even remotely good. Most midrange interfaces would kill it for converter/preamp quality, it doesn't seem worth it to run the console at that rate if the rest of the chain is so budget.

it just seems to me that if the quality difference between 48->96 is such a big deal to you then you should be complaining more about the low end conversion and preamps
First: we track all our projects at 96khz. So, I would love to have extra inputs at that same sample rate, even at "lower" quality compared to the outboard pre amps we have now (Neve, API, old Neumann and Studer).

Second: most of the stuff I mix (recorded by someone else) is at 44.1... so... another bummer here

Third: having extra DSP (apart from the UADs we have here) at 96khz would be awesome. Again, when doing a bigger recording session, it would be great to have a digital console for extra inputs and for tactile control.

I could be wrong (please correct me) but we have a huge gap (or even a complete lack of) on the studio console market. Analog or Digital.

Either you buy a clean sounding analog console with very limited connectivity or you have to jump to $50k+ (closer to $100k) to get something that is really useful and well integrated with today's studio workflow...
Old 2nd June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Either you buy a clean sounding analog console with very limited connectivity or you have to jump to $50k+ (closer to $100k) to get something that is really useful and well integrated with today's studio workflow...
Well I suppose the good thing is the 44.1 will be supported at some point. Yeah. I get what your saying. Except maybe the dsp thing. My inexpensive pc can easily run 100s of eq and compressor plugins at low latency. And I assure you, the PreSonus eqs will be a disappointment vs your daw eqs. It'd pretty limited as far as they go.

The good news is that the console you want has already been made. Look at the digico s21. Can be had for 10000$ aud. IMHO your looking below your market segment. The digico is probably the best bang for buck console in existence right now. It's basically the performance of an Sd9 at a fifth of the price. Wayyyyy more expandable than the PreSonus. The preamp in the s21 trade with the best there is. And you can connect their stage boxes to the console and then have a stupid number of inputs and buses...
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well I suppose the good thing is the 44.1 will be supported at some point. Yeah. I get what your saying. Except maybe the dsp thing. My inexpensive pc can easily run 100s of eq and compressor plugins at low latency. And I assure you, the PreSonus eqs will be a disappointment vs your daw eqs. It'd pretty limited as far as they go.

The good news is that the console you want has already been made. Look at the digico s21. Can be had for 10000$ aud. IMHO your looking below your market segment. The digico is probably the best bang for buck console in existence right now. It's basically the performance of an Sd9 at a fifth of the price. Wayyyyy more expandable than the PreSonus. The preamp in the s21 trade with the best there is. And you can connect their stage boxes to the console and then have a stupid number of inputs and buses...
The Digico S21 looks very interesting.

More videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=digico+s21
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Head

hi there.. i want this mixer for the stage and live.. but also for studio aplication as a daw controller, i use only cubase 9 .. what about mackie/hui support for this mixer? how can i use all 32 faders and buttons to control Cubase 9 ? does "prenosus have a plan to import this feature in the next firmware update, does anyone know something about this? thanks
Old 27th June 2017
Gear Addict

has anyone to one?
I would like ot replace my Alesis HD24 and analog mixer.

I dont want to use a DAW, so this would be all I need.
Old 10th July 2017
Here for the gear

Presonus needs to spend time on training their support staff because based on my experience with them I'll never buy Presonus hardware or software again. They have burned me so badly with the gear breaking down (the 1818 vsl specifically). After 3 months of going back and forth with them via their online support, and being told to upgrade my computer (which I did) and upgrade the DAW to Studio One Pro (which I did) and then spending $175 more to send in the 1818 for repair, it still doesn't work. AND to boot, they will not refund me for the repair costs AND have not answered my online messages now for a week. I've had to buy a new interface and now have a $700 paperweight.

I am not in any way affiliated with any company in this space - I'm just a guitar player / musician who has been torched by these guys and could not recommend them.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPPADom View Post
Presonus needs to spend time on training their support staff because based on my experience with them I'll never buy Presonus hardware or software again. They have burned me so badly with the gear breaking down (the 1818 vsl specifically). After 3 months of going back and forth with them via their online support, and being told to upgrade my computer (which I did) and upgrade the DAW to Studio One Pro (which I did) and then spending $175 more to send in the 1818 for repair, it still doesn't work. AND to boot, they will not refund me for the repair costs AND have not answered my online messages now for a week. I've had to buy a new interface and now have a $700 paperweight.

I am not in any way affiliated with any company in this space - I'm just a guitar player / musician who has been torched by these guys and could not recommend them.
you don't always know if it is any company in question, you are actually in communication with. a lot of these support contacts can be 3rd party. same with an ISP or power company provider. the nuts and bolts can be outsourced to various 3rd parties. those 3rd parties have their own interests and the outcomes of those interactions can be assessed by the original vendor, purely in terms of numbers.
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPPADom View Post

I had a similar experience with a piece of Presonus Hardware (Firestudio). It would crash my computer all of the time with the BSOD. After fighting with it for a year and feeling that I was a beta tester for their drivers, I traded it in at the local music shop at a big loss and bought an RME product. No BSOD ever since that day. I still have a Digimx FS but it has crapped out as well.

Two other experiences with Presonus hardware. Soundman was using a presonus mixer (Pre AI) and was recording our show. The first time it stopped working as far as recording via firewire after the first set. The second time the entire mixer kept dying, as in the sound was cutting in and out through the PA, until the engineer unplugged the firewire cable between the mixer and his mac computer. It worked fine after that for the night but we were not able to record the show.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Outboard converters and preamps can always be purchased. Some converters and preamps are just as expensive as median priced boards.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search