The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Volko Audio Releases A New API 500 Series Named Q American Series
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Nut

Some people here have mentioned that the plugin adds some character when engaged without any adjustments.

Would this not be some sort of character of saturation? Or are people thinking they are hearing something that is not there?

Volko, any insight?
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow records View Post
Some people here have mentioned that the plugin adds some character when engaged without any adjustments.

Would this not be some sort of character of saturation? Or are people thinking they are hearing something that is not there?

Volko, any insight?
Placebo effect. I like to think of the Volko American plugins as a clean API sound. Sometimes they are right for the job while other times I reach for Acustica PINK. Quick, nice sounding results is the biggest feature of API style equalizers.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow records View Post

Volko, any insight?
I agree with doom64, we haven't added any character of saturation.
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Addict

Hmm. Shape button seems to tighten up lows/lowmids/transients..

Can Volko explain the shape button?
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
Hmm. Shape button seems to tighten up lows/lowmids/transients..

Can Volko explain the shape button?
Hi Deff J,

Shape button makes the curves bell shape symmetry with oversampling. You hear that difference.
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Nut

Sorry to jump in so late but I am trying out the plugins inside of Ableton and love the sound!

The one thing that holds me back from adding them to my arsenal is that Ableton registers the input meter and output meter as parameters that can be automated... meaning that anytime a signal goes through the plugin and the meter moves, it registers as a parameter change... making it so when I hit undo, it undos the "meter output parameter" movement instead of the knobs I just moved while audio was playing. This is a game killer for me. Any way to disable the meter automation?
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanandroid View Post
Sorry to jump in so late but I am trying out the plugins inside of Ableton and love the sound!

The one thing that holds me back from adding them to my arsenal is that Ableton registers the input meter and output meter as parameters that can be automated... meaning that anytime a signal goes through the plugin and the meter moves, it registers as a parameter change... making it so when I hit undo, it undos the "meter output parameter" movement instead of the knobs I just moved while audio was playing. This is a game killer for me. Any way to disable the meter automation?
Sorry for the late reply, we've got one more request for this situation and we'll update it for the next update. Thank you for the feedback.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Thought I'd share something...

API 560 versions, 8db boost at highest and lowest frequencies (31hz / 16khz)

Waves:
Volko Audio Releases A New API 500 Series Named Q American Series-waves-560-8db.jpg

Volko:
Volko Audio Releases A New API 500 Series Named Q American Series-volko-qg-8db.jpg

+1 Volko with the 'Shape' button on protects the integrity of the bell curve near the Nyquist - nice.

+1 Volko says it's an 8db boost and it IS an 8db boost - trust.

-1 Waves what is up with that behaviour?! This confirms my suspicions that the Waves API only does subtle moves in most of it's control range. So for anyone doing a direct shootout between Waves and Volko, you can't just transpose the same boost/cut numbers. The Waves plugin is doing something else entirely on its Output control that messes up the comparison. You can see the whole signal has been pushed down.

Still really like the Waves API 560, it's been one of my favourites for mixing and even makes it on masters - but I'm demoing Volko right now and might switch
Attached Thumbnails
Volko Audio Releases A New API 500 Series Named Q American Series-volko-qg-8db.jpg   Volko Audio Releases A New API 500 Series Named Q American Series-waves-560-8db.jpg  
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Volko dropped the three EQ bundle down to $79 permanently and the singles to $39.00 . Anyone looking for a solid workhorse set of EQs, I recommend it. They aren't too far off Acustica Audio's PINK in quality, which to me is the gold standard API emulation.

Last edited by doom64; 15th February 2019 at 06:28 AM..
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

One of the top API emu's still right here
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

From what I remember these have no saturation/harmonics whatsoever? It is simply curve (and I assume phase) emulation. In saying that, these sound great, infact so many plugins add harmonics now that it's almost refreshing to reach for something totally clean.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
From what I remember these have no saturation/harmonics whatsoever? It is simply curve (and I assume phase) emulation. In saying that, these sound great, infact so many plugins add harmonics now that it's almost refreshing to reach for something totally clean.
That is correct. All three Q American Series plugins have a clean sound to them while modeling the hardware curves. The gain being fully variable as opposed to stepped is a big bonus. Little RAM and CPU is used as well.

On very large mixes that need a fast turn around, these get used a lot. Acustica Audio EQs are by far my favorite but they aren't always practical due to CPU/RAM requirements. These get used in their place (along with Fabfilter Pro Q or DMG Equilibrium) and that's about the biggest compliment I can give.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As Doom says, Pink3 sound better, but these are tempting due to zero latency and very low CPU.

On that note, it has been said that these have no harmonics and saturation, yet all the website reviews wax lyrical about just that. One (quoted on the main page) even says stuff sounds better just running through it. What's up with that?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The 'shape' button (oversampling says dev) tightens up the lo/lomids in a flattering way; it removes clumsy and slow out of audio to my ears. Much like airwindows powersag, but without tweaking. Or Sonimus Burnley, but without harshness.

There are plenty of oversampled plugins around that do not have this effect...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nah - run them through Plugindoctor. The Shape button just prevents warping of the curve shape near Nyquist. It has no effect on low mids or a kind of "slew-rate" effect as you describe.
Old 2 weeks ago
What i love about them is that they are digital clean, just run airwindows desk before or after for some mojo, but Volko are super fast and effects tools.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, I was thinking these would be a great pairing after running audio through the API circuit on my Silver Bullet.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
Nah - run them through Plugindoctor. The Shape button just prevents warping of the curve shape near Nyquist. It has no effect on low mids or a kind of "slew-rate" effect as you describe.
Yeah, that is what the dev is saying, i know....but I, and others, hear 'shape' (or oversampling) affecting beyond that. Just inserting any of these Volko Api's has an effect on the tightness/speed of the transients. Usually for the better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yeah, I was thinking these would be a great pairing after running audio through the API circuit on my Silver Bullet.
Makes sense to me.

As for the mystery mojo...it's that good old audio placebo pill.

For me, it was another flavor of API. I own basically all the API emulation plugins...which is sad but hey I love making electric guitars and drums sound excellent so can you blame me? Volko's are the ones I turn to after PINK for slight tone variety. Like using a different EQ channel...there will be slight differences.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Or it's not placebo, but infact something that can be heard. I can hear it easily at 96k by just inserting it and only pressing the 'shape' button. The plugin gets a faster, tighter sound with oversampling/shape on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Nope, this is not placebo. i'm playing with Volko Qb right now and it's as clear as day.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
Nope, this is not placebo. i'm playing with Volko Qb right now and it's as clear as day.

Are your results the same with Qa???

Last edited by profvonsok; 2 weeks ago at 09:44 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search