The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Fireface UFX II
Old 12th January 2017
Hardware RME Fireface UFX II

RME will introduce an updated version of the Fireface UFX.

Here is the information you can find on RME's Facebook Page :
https://www.facebook.com/RME-169454739798577/?fref=ts

RME introduces the new Fireface UFX II
60-Channel 192kHz high-end, USB Audio Interface
Come and see the new Interface at NAMM 2017. Hall A, Booth 6610
The Fireface UFX II offers excellent flexibility that enables the interface to fit seamlessly into a myriad of production environments. Analog, ADAT, AES, SPDIF, and USB 2 are all standard on the Fireface UFX II. Equally impressive is the unit’s channel count: 12 analog, 16 ADAT, and 2 AES for 30 channels input and 30 channels output. Further, with support for USB 2 connectivity, the new Fireface UFX II can integrate with RME’s optional ARC USB remote controller.
With capacity for 60 audio channels (30 input and 30 output), support for sampling frequencies upward of 192 kHz, and the flexibility provided by USB connectivity, the new Fireface UFX II is an ideal solution to a wide range of recording, mixing, and monitoring applications.
RME’s Fireface UFX II incorporates premium AD/DA converters, optimized analog I/O circuits, as well as improved SNR and THD values to guarantee pristine, crystal clear and transparent audio. A new PAD-free mic circuit design with +18 dBu maximum input level and 75 dB gain range provides trouble-free operation for the most demanding recording environments. Further, new low impedance, high power phones outputs (2 Ohms) with +19 dBu maximum output level provide ample output power and volume on any headphones—high or low impedance.
The Fireface UFX II also includes DURec (Direct USB Recording), which is available on the front of the interface. It now offers second generation hardware with improved USB functionality and compatibility—providing greater reliability, even with slower or multi-partitioned USB thumb drives.
Connectivity / Features
• 30 Input / 30 Output
• 12 x Analog I/O
• 4 x Mic/Instrument Preamp
• 1 x AES/EBU I/O
• 2 x ADAT I/O(or 1 x ADAT I / O plus 1 x SPDIF I / O optical)
• 1 x Word Clock I/O• 2 x MIDI I/O
• 1 x USB 2.0 (USB 3.0 compatible)
• Optional: Advanced Remote Control USB (connected via Computer)
Old 12th January 2017
From their FB:

Fireface UFX II
60-Channel 192kHz high-end, USB Audio Interface
Come and see the new Interface at NAMM 2017. Hall A, Booth 6610.
Attached Thumbnails
RME Fireface UFX II-15972347_1203723096371731_8899480722138972534_o.jpg   RME Fireface UFX II-15875563_1203724339704940_21612111490028843_o.jpg  
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Well, it might be the perfect solution for my needs !

Waiting for the price tag...
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Head

What is the difference with UFX+ ?
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmytro_ua View Post

... apparently the differences are ... No Madi and No Thunderbolt ...

... hopefully ... reduced price as well ...
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmytro_ua View Post
No madi and no thunderbolt I guess...
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

No USB 3.0
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Will it have the same latency specs as the UFX+...?

If they can do that and get between the UFX traded in promo price of 1529 and UFX street price of 1850€ it might be interesting.

The lower the better obviously.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear
A bit surprised to see there is no thunderbolt or USB3...or USB-C connection. I am sure they have their reasons but I would like to hear why. Rocking my UFX here for many years. Best purchase I have ever made in the audio world. Not seeing a lot here that suggests upgrading will have any substantial benefit.
Old 12th January 2017
The only reason they put usb3/TB in the ufx+ was the higher channel count. Usb2 works fine for 60 I/O and the latency doesn't really suffer.

I would assume the unit is identical to the ufx+ except for the channel count, data ports, and likely a less powerful DSP since there are no Madi ins needing FX. The price is likely the same as the original ufx upon release. And I wouldn't get your hopes up about a trade-in credit. Really, no one ever does that.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Technology marches forward, not backward..

No USB 3????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
The only reason they put usb3/TB in the ufx+ was the higher channel count. Usb2 works fine for 60 I/O and the latency doesn't really suffer.

I would assume the unit is identical to the ufx+ except for the channel count, data ports, and likely a less powerful DSP since there are no Madi ins needing FX. The price is likely the same as the original ufx upon release. And I wouldn't get your hopes up about a trade-in credit. Really, no one ever does that.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Nut

No benefit to using USB 3 on the unit. It will work with USB 3.0 ports of course, but also with USB 2.0 ports, so virtually any computer in service today and for the foreseeable future. Why limit that for no reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post

No USB 3????????
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Head

Still no Dante or AVB...
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
And I wouldn't get your hopes up about a trade-in credit. Really, no one ever does that.
Except RME
RME Fireface UFX Promotion
Old 12th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post

No USB 3????????
No need + no benefit + higher cost. It is not really a face palm. What happens when you plug it in to a usb3 port? It works.
Old 12th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_deli View Post
Eh. Not much of a trade in for an old ufx. It is just a sales gimmick. Many dealers have 15℅ off promotions for nothing. Better to sell the old one, or better yet, keep it.
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Eh. Not much of a trade in for an old ufx. It is just a sales gimmick. Many dealers have 15℅ off promotions for nothing. Better to sell the old one, or better yet, keep it.
... it seems that the trade-in thing is valid for any old RME audio interface ...
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try reading it again
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

who would ever run a USB 2 audio interface in 2017?
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
who would ever run a USB 2 audio interface in 2017?
Me, and i don't see a single problem doing so.
Well, the advantage of thunderbolt is daisychaining. The disadvantage is higher cost (compared to a usb hub).
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

What are the differences between this and the old UFX? (not the +)
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutr2 View Post
What are the differences between this and the old UFX? (not the +)
RME says:
It has the same specs as the UFX+ but without the MADI, Thunderbolt and USB 3 connection.

So, basically, better preamps, updated converters, better headphone outputs, 2nd generation Durec. And i think compatibility with the newer ARC remote control. Maybe something else i missed.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Great - thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
RME says:
It has the same specs as the UFX+ but without the MADI, Thunderbolt and USB 3 connection.

So, basically, better preamps, updated converters, better headphone outputs, 2nd generation Durec. And i think compatibility with the newer ARC remote control. Maybe something else i missed.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou latch View Post
RME says:

what is 2nd generation DURec ? from what I saw the UFX+ does nothing with DURec the older UFX doesn't do ?
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
what is 2nd generation DURec ? from what I saw the UFX+ does nothing with DURec the older UFX doesn't do ?
It is more compatible with less than ideal usb-media and apparently offers new playback options. And Timestamp! The increased channel count obviously doesn't play a role for the UFX II

Again, RME says:

Improved DURec (Direct USB Recording)

DURec, which is available on the front of the Fireface UFX+, now offers second generation hardware with improved USB functionality and compatibility, providing greater reliability even with slower or multi-partitioned USB thumb drives.

The maximum number of recordable channels has been raised to 76, meaning all 12 analog inputs plus 64 MADI channels can be recorded simultaneously. An internal Realtime Clock (RTC) delivers time-stamped files, and playback now includes several advanced player functions previously unavailable.

Why don't you guys just look it up at RME's website? Or, probably the better question, why am i sitting here and copy and paste stuff from there (while listening to a pretty interesting radio-interview)?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

its was a bit of a rhetorical question.. I had seen that written on their site a while back and thought it was a non starter.. if you could overdub with it or playback midi or something then it might justify 2nd generation tag..
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
its was a bit of a rhetorical question.. I had seen that written on their site a while back and thought it was a non starter.. if you could overdub with it or playback midi or something then it might justify 2nd generation tag..
yeah, basically it stayed the same. it's great for backups, nothing more i think...
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hopefully we can finally find out more about the converter chips used in the updated model
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Head

maybe they will have used new converters from their adi-2 pro.
Old 13th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lodge View Post
maybe they will have used new converters from their adi-2 pro.
Very unlikely unfortunately. The original ufx used two 8 channel codecs to handle the 12 analog I/O. I doubt that has changed. I would love if they used the higher performance 2 channel converters, but the cost would likely double.
📝 Reply