The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aehs View Post
Hey guys,

so we have an allen & heath gs-r24M with an analogue interface. It is connected to 4 192s. The top three are directly routed to the boards analogue interface 32x32. The bottom 192 is used to drive an aviom cue system. We have a Mac Pro 2009 running osx 10.8 with HD3-TDM cards.

If we were to buy 1 of the 32HDs, could we see all 32 channels in the other daws as well. Logic 9, Ableton? Also would we be able to link the last 192 so that we can still utilize the current system via digilink?

If we cant link the 192 what would need for the additional 16x8 to reach a full 48x48 setup without shelling out for the extra unit?

The ultimate solution would be to dump the TDM cards if possible. We do not have thunderbolt or usb3 and would need an additional card or adapter. Are these reliable?

Any recommendations on a relatively seamless transition if we were to purchase on of your units?
I'm going to take your post on a tangent if you don't mind. If your 2009 Mac Pro is a quad core, it can very easily be upgraded to become a 5.1 6 Core, if it is an 8 core, it can very easily be upgraded to a 5.1 12 Core. I've done both of these upgrades. My current computer is a 2009 4.1 8-core upgraded to a 5.1 12-core. My geekbench scores are over 30,000! I moved from and HD3 to HD Native after my upgrade.

PM me if interested, I'm happy to discuss this off line if you are interested.
Old 15th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
I've seen a new better specs Orion was presented on Musikmesse, so a new Orion HD is already on the way ?
The units at Messe are the hybrid interfaces, Goliath HD and Orion Studio (rev 3017). Out of our single rack 32 channel interfaces, the 32HD has the best specs.
Old 15th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
The units at Messe are the hybrid interfaces, Goliath HD and Orion Studio (rev 3017). Out of our single rack 32 channel interfaces, the 32HD has the best specs.
This is what I've asked arlier in this thread:
Quote:
I've been looking at the converters comparison table on Antelope's site and seen the Orion HD measures better than the original/studio/+

Aren't they supposed to be the same converters only with different features?
Your answer:

Quote:
The 32HD does have slightly newer chips, but audibly they are nearly identical, due to our clocking.
Antelope Messe announcement, new and better sounding converter chips:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post
Antelope Announces Orion Studio Rev. 2017-orionstudio2017ls.jpg

[INDENT]Antelope Audio Releases Powerful Refresh to Orion Studio Interface

Orion Studio 2017 Takes Users to the Outer Reaches of Fidelity, Delivering Up to 124 Decibels of Dynamic Range

New Updates for A Dynamic World

As an established pioneer in the field of analog to digital conversion, Antelope Audio continues this tradition with Orion Studio 2017, which boasts brand new A/D conversion chips capable of 124 decibels of dynamic range when converting audio. For users, this translates to capturing every sonic nuance of a performance as faithfully as possible. The combination of these new innovations with Antelope’s legendary 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC) jitter-management technology means that Orion Studio 2017 is poised to deliver industry-leading fidelity in just about any recording application.

“Sound quality has been our primary focus in all our product designs, and we are pleased to launch this significant update to our popular Orion Studio," says Antelope Audio CEO Igor Levin. “With these updates, customers are able to realize an even higher degree of audio quality in real time, while employing our other new innovations such as Session Presets and intuitive routing capabilities."
I'm confused..many products
Old 15th April 2017
Quote:
This is what I've asked arlier in this thread:

Your answer:

Antelope Messe announcement, new and better sounding converter chips:

I'm confused..many products
Orion32HD has the newest chips of our Orion32 channel family.

The hybrid interfaces have either less converters or in the case of GoliathHD, it's 2 rack spaces. We're putting the best possible converters considering space/heat considerations in all our interfaces.

The Orion32HD customers that have upgraded from many various brands are all reporting improvements. Isn't that the key part of the story here? According to early customers, it's the best sounding HD interface on the market today.

For those wanting the ultra high end sound, Goliath HD ships in Summer at $6995 (double the price). Seems fair to me.

The point about us having several products has to do with customers asking for various features, so we're offering an assortment for various needs. Doesn't seem like a bad thing either.
Old 16th April 2017
Sorry to insist, but I didn't receive an answer to my question.
Clybourne, if you have an advice, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
I'm hesitating between new orion 32hd and old goliath, what do you think about it? I need the best quality between the two.
(Run on pc with usb 2 or 3, production, recording, mixing)

Thank you
Old 16th April 2017
Quote:
Sorry to insist, but I didn't receive an answer to my question.
Clybourne, if you have an advice, thank you.
If you're looking for the "best quality" they are about the same. I have listened to them in an A/B situation and personally, I ever so slightly picked the Goliath.

That's about the best I can offer on this one. They both sound great, tbh.
Old 17th April 2017
Ok thank you
Old 20th April 2017
New Trims

Here is a shot of our new Analog Trim Menu for Orion32HD.

These trims have several advantages over typical analog pots.

1. Accurate to .1dBu
2. Unlimited Recallable
3. Easy to adjust, no need to climb behind a rack
4. No sonic change. No extra digital or analog components in the signal path

Old 20th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Not sure if we made a mistake and mentioned apps for this product, but our non-mic pre interfaces don't have the apps. All of our "hybrid" interfaces with pres and monitor outs, have the apps for those functions.

What you do have is Mac/PC panels that can open on any computer on your network and then control the unit from a "remote" computer.
Will the Goliath HD have a remote app ?
Old 20th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Harris View Post
Will the Goliath HD have a remote app ?
Yes, all the new interfaces with mic preamps do.
Old 24th April 2017
Liverpool Compressor

We are rolling out our new compressors. Four new ones came out for Orion Studio last Friday and will appear on our other FPGA capable interfaces over the next couple weeks with Stereo Linking around the corner soon too. Here's a taste of one of the announced new ones, that's coming in the next batch, the new Liverpool Compressor from Grove Hill Audio.

Old 25th April 2017
X903 and VCA160 on bass

Continuing to play with the new Antelope compressors. Today I reshaped a simple synth baseline into a whole new dynamic animal using the X903 and VCA160 compressors in tandem. The X903 is set to "inverted ratio" to create a reversing sound and the VCA160 is adding in "punch" as it so famously does.

Old 25th April 2017
160 THWACK sound!

The famous "160 THWACK" compressor sound using the new Antelope VCA160..

Old 26th April 2017
SMASHING drums with the FET76!

It's time to SMASH something! The new FET76 just brutally SMACKS this drum loop!!! (we made an improvement in our new engine of this already popular compressor and it's even BETTER now, have a listen)

Old 26th April 2017
Gear Head

Hey,

Does anyone know where can I get a demo unit ?
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi Will, the answer to all your questions is YES.

You can have up to 64 channels over USB (or via the two digiports). This leaves you 32 channels for the Analog IO and the rest for digital connections or our AFX.

All of our interfaces features Trinity level or OCX-HD level clocking, yes updated and "better" than the original OCX or OCX-V.

You can use one computer via HDX ports and another via USB. Or use HDX and USB at the same time on one computer, which we believe to be another first.
OK that all makes perfect sense to me. However you mentioned that the 32+ has the same 64 channels available thru Thunderbolt. I am using a 32+ and I only see 32 TB channels and 64 Madi channels. Am I missing something here!?
I can see in the 32HD video walk-throughs that there is actually 64 channels on both HD and USB3 channels in the config window.
Also is the USB3 driver capable of the same super low latency as the Thunderbolt driver? I have no use for the HD conectivity but I am figuring out if the 32HD USB3
connection would be as stable as the Thunderbolt connection on the 32+.
Its time for a second system to get relieved of HD cards
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
OK that all makes perfect sense to me. However you mentioned that the 32+ has the same 64 channels available thru Thunderbolt. I am using a 32+ and I only see 32 TB channels and 64 Madi channels. Am I missing something here!?
I can see in the 32HD video walk-throughs that there is actually 64 channels on both HD and USB3 channels in the config window.
Also is the USB3 driver capable of the same super low latency as the Thunderbolt driver? I have no use for the HD conectivity but I am figuring out if the 32HD USB3
connection would be as stable as the Thunderbolt connection on the 32+.
Its time for a second system to get relieved of HD cards
Are you certain you are using the latest update for 32+? Go to our site and make sure you have the latest Control Panel Launcher. The mistake some make is to put the panel in a dock and only start the same panel each time. But, our Launcher looks for updates before starting the panel and is often best to use it, instead. The Orion32+ indeed is a 64 channel TB device.
Old 26th April 2017
Mastering & 2-Bus processing with AFX example

This is a 2-Bus or Mastering stack of Antelope AFX on an already great sounding mix. This shows the nuanced improvements that these FX are capable of. They bring subtleties to the mix, without adding unwanted side effects or artifacts in a negative way. I'm changing them on the left side with the bypass buttons, so be careful to watch for the changes. I introduce them one at a time, and then I unlink the thresholds of the two compressors used here, which is common for mastering, but for keeping a stereo kick drum track intact, you'd want to keep the compressors linked together. Notice how there is no latency introduced when adding each effect. This is why we refer to them as "Real Time" or "Hardware Level Performance". Another thing nice on this is the subtle tube saturation of the superb Gyraf compressor on the end of the chain. Also of note, at one point I boost the top end way up on the Lang to show how powerful a tool that EQ can be.

Old 26th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Are you certain you are using the latest update for 32+? Go to our site and make sure you have the latest Control Panel Launcher. The mistake some make is to put the panel in a dock and only start the same panel each time. But, our Launcher looks for updates before starting the panel and is often best to use it, instead. The Orion32+ indeed is a 64 channel TB device.
Wow! Quickest response ever.
I am not near my rig at the moment but i will check to see if I have the latest version installed.
How about my question on the USB3 vs Thunderbolt performence.
Thanks.
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Wow! Quickest response ever.
I am not near my rig at the moment but i will check to see if I have the latest version installed.
How about my question on the USB3 vs Thunderbolt performence.
Thanks.
Thunderbolt is going to have a bit lower latency, due to the way the stacks are handled by the Mac OS. Nothing we can really change, but the lower buffers are more usable on USB3 than with USB2, for example, even though the latency is the same "on the surface", because USB3 does have more bandwidth. There are just speed bottlenecks that can't be avoided.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Thunderbolt is going to have a bit lower latency, due to the way the stacks are handled by the Mac OS. Nothing we can really change, but the lower buffers are more usable on USB3 than with USB2, for example, even though the latency is the same "on the surface", because USB3 does have more bandwidth. There are just speed bottlenecks that can't be avoided.
Thats what I figured
As soon as I check to make sure I can get 64 channels of TB on the 32+ I will move forward to replace my 192's with another 32+ then
Thanks again for the swift replies.
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Since I can't get to my rig right now I just looked on your website and noticed that in all the documentation the 32+ labeled as a 32 channel TB interface. So I am hoping you will prove me wrong when I download the latest software for the 32+.
If so maybe you should update the manual and documentation to reflect these changes
Old 26th April 2017
Quote:
Since I can't get to my rig right now I just looked on your website and noticed that in all the documentation the 32+ labeled as a 32 channel TB interface. So I am hoping you will prove me wrong when I download the latest software for the 32+.
If so maybe you should update the manual and documentation to reflect these changes
Here's a screenshot of the current control panel. As you can see, the TB I/O shows 1-32 and 33-64 for both Inputs (top part) and Outputs.

For good measure, I've also taken a shot of the AudioMIDI Setup screen showing Orion32+ (OrionTB) shows up as 64 ins/64 outs

I will inform our web folks to take a look at our documentation, though, thanks.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Here's a screenshot of the current control panel. As you can see, the TB I/O shows 1-32 and 33-64 for both Inputs (top part) and Outputs.

For good measure, I've also taken a shot of the AudioMIDI Setup screen showing Orion32+ (OrionTB) shows up as 64 ins/64 outs

I will inform our web folks to take a look at our documentation, though, thanks.
Excellent!
Old 27th April 2017
Inverted Compression part 2

INVERT your Compression! This is an amazing trick you can accomplish with the new Antelope Audio X903 Compressor. By dialing in a ratio above infinity-1, you go into an inverted ratio, compressing signals "above" the threshold, instead of below it. This will create some amazing dynamic special fx and will do wonders on a parallel bus. I start by turning on a normal compression setting, then I dial in the inverted ratio effect and turn it on again. You can feel this edm loop actually even sounds like it's reversing, yet actually it's dynamics are reversing!

Old 29th April 2017
Here for the gear

@Clybourne Is it possible to run the Orion HD via USB3 when I have a HD Native card in my Mac Pro? (And still use Pro Tools, native)
I am trying to figure out how.. Do I need to do a aggregate setup in AudioMidi setup or do I need to download a driver? The reason I would like to try it is because PT HD is reporting something wrong so when I do a HW insert on ch 31-32 on the Orion 32 HD its 6 samples behind in 48k. It did not help to change the compensation in the manual-mode under the HDX Compensation window in the Orion. And its not possible to insert a negative delay compensation in PT since I am using it as a realtime insert. I am also curious of the USB3 performance when tracking in 96k 64-sample buffer size. Cause I am not impressed with the HD Native card in that regard. And I know your USB drivers are known to be really good!
Old 30th April 2017
Here for the gear

I just had to re-install the driver a couple of times then it showed up in the Playback engine in PT.And I need to pull out the power cable every time I want to use the USB Driver. Now my only problem is the delay compensation. I have a test session where I routed a snare sample out through output 3-4 and back in on input 3-4. It arrives 72 samples behind in 96k and via USB. There are no plugins in the session. Any one have any tips?
Old 4th May 2017
just have received my orion 32hd
I have some questions:
1. no dBfs meter on outputs? I (we) need it! You can add it at the top of each output meter. ESSENTIAL.
2. where is reverb return? it goes directly in mixer output without channel strip?
3. buffer size is 1024samples. When I want to put in 64 samples, a message appears, it means: "for better stability put your buffer size upper 1024"... A bit strange for a workhorse?
4. possible to have orion panel "always on top?"
5. possible to open orion panel at Windows opening?

thanks
Old 4th May 2017
Quote:
just have received my orion 32hd
I have some questions:
1. no dBfs meter on outputs? I (we) need it! You can add it at the top of each output meter. ESSENTIAL.
2. where is reverb return? it goes directly in mixer output without channel strip?
3. buffer size is 1024samples. When I want to put in 64 samples, a message appears, it means: "for better stability put your buffer size upper 1024"... A bit strange for a workhorse?
4. possible to have orion panel "always on top?"
5. possible to open orion panel at Windows opening?

thanks
Are you using this on a PC for USB3 use? Or Pro Tools HD via HDX?

It sounds like you need our driver or need to have our Support guys help you optimize your systems. You should be able to use the low buffers.
Old 5th May 2017
EQ Shootout

Antelope vs. Waves vs. Slate 4K EQ models compared.

(comparison thread)
Antelope vs. Waves vs. Slate British 4K EQ models

Last edited by Clybourne; 5th May 2017 at 07:41 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search