The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 26th March 2017
Here for the gear
How do you reset the Orion HD 32 to default?
Is it different that Orion 32?
Old 26th March 2017
Here for the gear
Ok I am slow.
Unplug and plug power back in while holding Up/Down arrows.
And it worked.

The Orion32 had settings to set Madi 64 channel etc.
Does the HD have any such settings besides src?
Old 27th March 2017
ewr
Here for the gear

Marcel- can the 32HD be connected via mini Digilink to the Expansion port of an Avid HD I/O, or must it be connected directly to an HDX card?

*To clarify: I have 4 ports on 2 HDX cards -- 2 are connected to Avid MADI, 1 to Avid HD I/O, and 1 is free. So I know I can connect the 32HD to the 1 free port. However I am trying to understand if there is a way to connect *both* of the HDX ports on the 32HD somehow, to get 64ch -- 1 to the free HDX card port, and 1 to the HD I/O expansion -- or if this will require a 3rd HDX card?
Old 27th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewr View Post
Marcel- can the 32HD be connected via mini Digilink to the Expansion port of an Avid HD I/O, or must it be connected directly to an HDX card?

*To clarify: I have 4 ports on 2 HDX cards -- 2 are connected to Avid MADI, 1 to Avid HD I/O, and 1 is free. So I know I can connect the 32HD to the 1 free port. However I am trying to understand if there is a way to connect *both* of the HDX ports on the 32HD somehow, to get 64ch -- 1 to the free HDX card port, and 1 to the HD I/O expansion -- or if this will require a 3rd HDX card?
We've not yet tested this specific scenario. I'll see if the office can try it, but to answer your question, yes you can connect to an HD port using a digi link to mini digi link cable adaptor. What you're asking should work. Just be sure to make the HDX1 on 32HD the master.
Old 27th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Aren't the converters inside Goliath similar to the Orion converters?

Regarding "there will never be a Pure 32"
Well.. I dunno man.. Lynx just did a Hilo 32 ! :-))
Yes, chips are same as Orion Studio, but not all of the design is identical and while they both sound great, for mastering I prefer Goliath.
Old 27th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
Hi,
Is usb 3.0 or 3.1?

@Actualsizeaudio: For comparison with metric halo converters, please send some files when you'll have time, it will be interesting for sure.
I'll be able to do this once 3D hits in Metric Halo land, then I can go MADI into the Orion. As of now I had to pull the MH boxes from the rack and patch bay and insert the Orion and get back to work.

All is going well. I've had some long post sessions with horrid sounding audio and I haven't had fatigue. I process all my dialog via an analog chain (I know that sounds crazy these days but it's the only was I can get the result I like) and I've had to punch in to shows done with the MH boxes. I can't tell where the punches are when I'm done.
Old 28th March 2017
Here for the gear

Just purchased this unit and it sounds amazing. I have it connected via USB to my sequencer rig, and HDX to my Pro Tools print rig. Had some doubts that I'd be up and running so quickly, but I was pleasantly surprised. This replaced my Lynx Aurora on the PT computer and Motu 112D on the sequencer. Amazed that I can now use one interface for both machines.
Old 28th March 2017
New Compressor demo listen

I promised some people I'd post an audio clip of one of our upcoming compressors. This is on a demo song I'm working on. It's on the stereo bus and really does glue things in a much more finished sounding way. This is a development plugin version. I like the sound and response of our FPGA final results even better, so the AFX version should be even nicer sounding, but this should give you an idea of how powerful these are going to be... (it starts "on" and I flip off/on a few times)

Last edited by Clybourne; 28th March 2017 at 09:00 PM..
Old 29th March 2017
ewr
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
We've not yet tested this specific scenario. I'll see if the office can try it, but to answer your question, yes you can connect to an HD port using a digi link to mini digi link cable adaptor. What you're asking should work. Just be sure to make the HDX1 on 32HD the master.
My main question is if you can connect to the *expansion port* of an Avid HD IO -- is it in effect the exact same as connecting directly to an HDX card?
Old 3rd April 2017
Gear Head

Hi guys,

A few questions:

1 - Could you compare the clocking in the Orion32HD with the clocking in your master clocks ,such as the Isochrone OCX or OCX-V or OCX HD ?

2 - In the review it is said that it is a 64 channel interface. On the back panel I can see analog ins and 32 analog outs. By 64 channels, do you mean combined or it has 64 inputs and 64 outputs in the DAW ? In this case ,would I be able to combine both analog and digital inputs to record ?
Old 3rd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Harris View Post
Hi guys,

A few questions:

1 - Could you compare the clocking in the Orion32HD with the clocking in your master clocks ,such as the Isochrone OCX or OCX-V or OCX HD ?

2 - In the review it is said that it is a 64 channel interface. On the back panel I can see analog ins and 32 analog outs. By 64 channels, do you mean combined or it has 64 inputs and 64 outputs in the DAW ? In this case ,would I be able to combine both analog and digital inputs to record ?
1 - It's actually newer than OCX and OCX-V, but same as OCX-HD. It's what we refer to as Trinity level clocking, which historically is our more revered crystal clock sonically.

2 - It's 64 channels that show up in the DAW's. Yes, there are 32 ins and outs, but you have an additional 32 channels you can route to our AFX or to digital IO, as well.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear
I noticed the Goliath HD in the new Orion Studio video. Will this have a DigiLink connection? If so, this could be the ticket for me.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear
Marcel,

The preset video has a picture of 2 antelope mixers visible at once. Is this because there are two Orions active or can we see Mixer One and Mixer Two at the same time?
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3-screen-shot-2017-04-05-8.47.05-am.png  
Old 5th April 2017
Marcell, I've had a few Pro Tools start ups where there has been a large audio "thump" sent through my monitors. Something they should look into ASAP I think.

I'll start a ticket, but in the meantime I would encourage people to start up their Pro tools rigs with their speakers off.

-Mike
Old 6th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
1 - It's actually newer than OCX and OCX-V, but same as OCX-HD. It's what we refer to as Trinity level clocking, which historically is our more revered crystal clock sonically.

2 - It's 64 channels that show up in the DAW's. Yes, there are 32 ins and outs, but you have an additional 32 channels you can route to our AFX or to digital IO, as well.

Let me get this straight ... With this unit I can have 64 inputs and outputs in my DAW via USB, also via Digilink. I can fill up all the analog IO and in addition probably use MADI with my old converters, on top of all it can function as your best clocks ? Even better than the OCX ? You've got to be kidding me (sry if I sound a bit lame, I'm new to the world outside AVID).

On a second thought - could I use it with two computers simultaneously ? One via USB and another one with Digilink ?
Old 9th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Marcel,

The preset video has a picture of 2 antelope mixers visible at once. Is this because there are two Orions active or can we see Mixer One and Mixer Two at the same time?
You can open two panels at once and view mixer 1 with one of them and mixer 2 with the other.
Old 9th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Marcell, I've had a few Pro Tools start ups where there has been a large audio "thump" sent through my monitors. Something they should look into ASAP I think.

I'll start a ticket, but in the meantime I would encourage people to start up their Pro tools rigs with their speakers off.

-Mike
I'll ask the office about this also Mike.
Old 9th April 2017
Quote:
Let me get this straight ... With this unit I can have 64 inputs and outputs in my DAW via USB, also via Digilink. I can fill up all the analog IO and in addition probably use MADI with my old converters, on top of all it can function as your best clocks ? Even better than the OCX ? You've got to be kidding me (sry if I sound a bit lame, I'm new to the world outside AVID).

On a second thought - could I use it with two computers simultaneously ? One via USB and another one with Digilink ?
Hi Will, the answer to all your questions is YES.

You can have up to 64 channels over USB (or via the two digiports). This leaves you 32 channels for the Analog IO and the rest for digital connections or our AFX.

All of our interfaces features Trinity level or OCX-HD level clocking, yes updated and "better" than the original OCX or OCX-V.

You can use one computer via HDX ports and another via USB. Or use HDX and USB at the same time on one computer, which we believe to be another first.
Old 9th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewr View Post
My main question is if you can connect to the *expansion port* of an Avid HD IO -- is it in effect the exact same as connecting directly to an HDX card?
Yes, I believe this is fine.
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
You can open two panels at once and view mixer 1 with one of them and mixer 2 with the other.
Sorry - did not work that way for me. Opened two instances of control panel.
Changing Mixer view on the first instance from "Mixer 1" to "Mixer 2" changed the view on both instances to "Mixer 2"
Old 11th April 2017
New Trims Control

First we responded to user requests with the most powerful Sample Accurate Delay Compensation for an HD interface, capable of sample accuracy for both analog and digital input sources for Pro Tools HD.

Today we launch our new IO Trims for Orion32HD. Our new trim control offers several advantages over physical analog trim pots.

1. Precision accuracy to .1db using our FPGA Engine.

2. No sonic degradation from extra analog components in the signal path. By using our FPGA, which is already in the audio signal path, there is no THD introduced by our Trims.

3. Convenient to use in our Control Panel software. No need ever again to crawl behind a gear rack or inside a cramped machine room to physically screw trim pots and rely on a 2nd engineer to read off the metering in the control room. (I've personally experienced this and won't miss it one bit!)

4. Infinite recallability. Historically, you would have A and B trim pots at best, in order to save different trim levels for various workflows. With our new Session Presets, you can save as many trim setups as you wish and recall them at any time.
Old 12th April 2017
Marcel, Clybourne,
I'm hesitating between new orion 32hd and old goliath, what do you think about it? I need the best quality between the two.
(Run on pc with usb 2 or 3, production, recording, mixing, i need 24i/o at least and really good quality)

Thank you
Old 12th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Sorry - did not work that way for me. Opened two instances of control panel.
Changing Mixer view on the first instance from "Mixer 1" to "Mixer 2" changed the view on both instances to "Mixer 2"
Ok, I did confirm that this doesn't currently work with two mixers, however the routing and FX can all be split on different panels. You can even have one from each panel on it's own desktop to control two different FX stacks at the same time. The initial reason for opening multiple panels was to have control of multiple interfaces, which is also possible and not talked about a lot. You CAN indeed stack two of our units AND control them independently, btw.

So, the deal with the mixers is an architecture limit for us currently. We can only have enough metering showing one mixer at a time. This may be changed at some point in the future, but no time soon, so sorry about that part.

But, overall, the advantages of multiple panels should be explored by other "power users".
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi Will, the answer to all your questions is YES.

You can have up to 64 channels over USB (or via the two digiports). This leaves you 32 channels for the Analog IO and the rest for digital connections or our AFX.

All of our interfaces features Trinity level or OCX-HD level clocking, yes updated and "better" than the original OCX or OCX-V.

You can use one computer via HDX ports and another via USB. Or use HDX and USB at the same time on one computer, which we believe to be another first.
Hi Clybourg,

I went through a lot of stuff online and I'm very interested in the performance of this device as stand-alone. I also saw that Antelope has remote control apps. Do you think that I could operate with this as stand-alone converter with another interface and still controll it via the remote app ?
Old 13th April 2017
Quote:
Hi Clybourg,

I went through a lot of stuff online and I'm very interested in the performance of this device as stand-alone. I also saw that Antelope has remote control apps. Do you think that I could operate with this as stand-alone converter with another interface and still controll it via the remote app ?
Not sure if we made a mistake and mentioned apps for this product, but our non-mic pre interfaces don't have the apps. All of our "hybrid" interfaces with pres and monitor outs, have the apps for those functions.

What you do have is Mac/PC panels that can open on any computer on your network and then control the unit from a "remote" computer.
Old 13th April 2017
Tube176

Guys, how about we have a bit of fun. In advance of one of our amazing new realtime FPGA compressors called the TUBE176, I'd like to invite you to send me a track, a stem or an audio clip of any kind that you'd like to hear me run through this compressor as I give it a final evaluation listen this weekend. This way, you get to be a part of this final QA process.

Send me a PM with a link to your audio file. (Dropbox or WeTransfer are probably best). I'll run as many as I can through the TUBE176 over the Easter Weekend, while the rest of Antelope engineers are all enjoying their Holiday. Ideally, if you have some kind of 176 compressor already, you can send me the dry and processed files (with settings) and I'll see how well I can match your compressed file.

This will be another free update for Zen Tour, Zen Studio+, Orion Studio (both editions), Orion32+, Orion32HD, Goliath, and Goliath HD.

I'm sure I'm getting myself in over my head here, but let the FUN begin!

Old 13th April 2017
Here for the gear
On the Orion firmware 1.35 I can not change the Line in trim.
I can witch between the 1k and 440 oscillator but not line trim, line out trim or monitor trim.

Any ideas please.

Thank you.
Old 14th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiorecording View Post
On the Orion firmware 1.35 I can not change the Line in trim.
I can witch between the 1k and 440 oscillator but not line trim, line out trim or monitor trim.

Any ideas please.

Thank you.
Make sure you're starting the Launcher software and not just the panel from a dock. If you're online, the Launcher will retrieve the update.
Old 14th April 2017
I've seen a new better specs Orion was presented on Musikmesse, so a new Orion HD is already on the way ?
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Head

Hey guys,

so we have an allen & heath gs-r24M with an analogue interface. It is connected to 4 192s. The top three are directly routed to the boards analogue interface 32x32. The bottom 192 is used to drive an aviom cue system. We have a Mac Pro 2009 running osx 10.8 with HD3-TDM cards.

If we were to buy 1 of the 32HDs, could we see all 32 channels in the other daws as well. Logic 9, Ableton? Also would we be able to link the last 192 so that we can still utilize the current system via digilink?

If we cant link the 192 what would need for the additional 16x8 to reach a full 48x48 setup without shelling out for the extra unit?

The ultimate solution would be to dump the TDM cards if possible. We do not have thunderbolt or usb3 and would need an additional card or adapter. Are these reliable?

Any recommendations on a relatively seamless transition if we were to purchase on of your units?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search