The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 15th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
If This interface is capable of 64 inputs, and the 4X32 Mixers are the same as in the Zen Tour (four individual 32 channel mixers) then doesn't that mean the total input channels one can combine in the Low Latency Antelope Mixer is 32... not 64?
Well, depends. If you need to combine for more monitoring you could gang two Mixers for 62 channels, actually.
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Well, depends. If you need to combine for more monitoring you could gang two Mixers for 62 channels, actually.

Excellent - I wondered if that would be possible... hard to imagine needing all that but nice to know it can be done....
Old 15th March 2017
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Excellent - I wondered if that would be possible... hard to imagine needing all that but nice to know it can be done....
I'm still figuring out cool things about that routing!

Btw, Session Presets posted today for all TB interfaces. They are the bomb for workflow!
Old 16th March 2017
Session Presets Announced

Antelope Audio Introduces Robust Detailed Session Saving Functionality to its Best in Class Interfaces Complimentary Software Update Enables Users to Save and Recall Complicated Routing, Mixer, and FX Settings Across Multiple Devices

March 16, 2017 — Antelope Audio, a leading interface company specializing in Field Programmable Gate Array-based vintage FX modeling, announced an exciting update for its desktop application that brings powerful new functionality to users of its popular recording interfaces: Session Presets —*available now as a complimentary download for owners of compatible Antelope devices.

The new feature allows users who are taking full advantage of the incredibly versatile routing, mixing, and hardware FX processing capabilities of their interfaces to instantaneously save and recall every detail of their control panel settings, including FX parameter values. The update is available now for users of the Zen Tour, Zen Studio+, Orion Studio, Orion 32+, Orion32HD, and Goliath.

Patched in a Snap
Antelope Audio designed the Session Presets feature based on feedback from its users, who have been utilizing the powerful signal routing and processing capabilities of Antelope’s desktop application and hardware to achieve unprecedented versatility in their studios without the need for complex analog patching.
The remarkably pliable application gives users complete control over input, output, and submix routing, while allowing user to integrate FX chains that take advantage of Antelope Audio’s rich library of FPGA hardware models and Auraverb reverb. Now with Sessions Presets, routing configurations as well as mixer settings, FX chains and parameter settings, mic preamp gain levels, input and output trims, and even panel resize settings can be saved, loaded and shared with ease at the click of the mouse.
“With powerful routing capabilities and our advanced FPGA FX modeling, our interfaces are much more than digital converters,” says Antelope Audio CEO Igor Levin. “While our FPGA models could replace a towering rack of outboard gear, our signal routing and submixing capabilities could just as easily replace an analog mixing console in the studio. Now with Session Presets our users can create and share multiple routing and FX settings to have their studio ‘patched’ and ready for a session of any size at a moment’s notice, saving time and improving consistency.”

Useful Across Multiple Antelope Interfaces
Session Presets are sharable and interoperable between different Antelope Audio devices, making it an ideal tool for multi-room studio complexes or engineers working remotely in commercial studios. Users can select from a checklist to determine which settings and parameters they would like to save for the session, enabling them to retain every detail and knob position or simply a favorite vocal FX chain that they would like to share with another engineer. Using FPGA FX during mixing has also never been easier, allowing the mixing engineer to save their routing, FX chains and parameter settings for a given mix to pull up along with their DAW project file.
Session Presets are available now for Antelope Audio hardware owners via an automatic update.
Old 18th March 2017
Gear Addict

You guys should do a HD version of the Zen Tour.

Since I'm going between Pro Tools HD and native/vanilla. Will this work with Pro Tools vanilla with usb without any headaches?... recording offset compensation, hw inserts etc...
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up Finally got my hands on the Orion 32HD

After seeing it from afar at NAMM, my Orion 32HD arrived and, so far, I'm VERY impressed with the whole package. Very quick setup/activation with my PT HDX and I was off to the races. I'm still exploring all it has to offer and haven't even gotten into all of the routing options, eq/comps/verb BUT the converters sound GREAT to my ears and the included software and its UI appear very straight forward and mostly intuitive (and packed with features/options/flexibility). I'll check back in a couple of weeks with further observations but didn't want to wait to share my excitement.
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
I´ll RTFM first of course, but if i run into serious complications, i´ll let you know. Thanks!
Less thank 24hrs until i can pick mine up now.. I´m in pain!

Mine gets here from VK on Tuesday. Until then I'm feeling the GAS burn.

Can't wait.
Old 20th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNewman View Post
Mine gets here from VK on Tuesday. Until then I'm feeling the GAS burn.

Can't wait.
Thanks for the purchase Adam. I'm confident you're going to love it. This has been our biggest hit out of the gate yet! Very happy with the early reactions. Guys upgrading from various interfaces are blown away with the sound.

I'm working on a video that's going to help explain how to easily use the FX and Routing. It's very easy and powerful once you get the gist of it.
Old 20th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
You guys should do a HD version of the Zen Tour.

Since I'm going between Pro Tools HD and native/vanilla. Will this work with Pro Tools vanilla with usb without any headaches?... recording offset compensation, hw inserts etc...
Thanks for the response. We're clearly considering more flavors of HD. Nailing the compensation stuff, the sound and the value and power of the real time FX has made this product an instant hit. I haven't seen a product leap to the top so fast in my 11 years with Antelope.

Thank you all for your interest and enthusiasm. You've given me a whole new level of energy for our products!
Old 21st March 2017
Got mine yesterday and interfaced it into the rack in only a few hours. Seems good so far, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the routing matrix and graph.

I'm not able to do it right now, but eventually I'll be able to compare the ADCs and DACs to my MH ULN8s and RMA DACs. Without doing a scientific blind test the Antelope seems a bit brighter than the ULNs in a way I don't love, but that could be because I don't have them perfectly calibrated. Anything louder will seem brighter. I'm going to reserve judgment there.

As for the interfacing with my HD Thunderbolt there were ZERO issues and it shows up as 4 192s! Love it.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Got mine yesterday and interfaced it into the rack in only a few hours. Seems good so far, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the routing matrix and graph.

I'm not able to do it right now, but eventually I'll be able to compare the ADCs and DACs to my MH ULN8s and RMA DACs. Without doing a scientific blind test the Antelope seems a bit brighter than the ULNs in a way I don't love, but that could be because I don't have them perfectly calibrated. Anything louder will seem brighter. I'm going to reserve judgment there.

As for the interfacing with my HD Thunderbolt there were ZERO issues and it shows up as 4 192s! Love it.
I am waiting for some samples, direct out of the ADCs...
Old 21st March 2017
Here for the gear
Will the new software cross over to the MP8d and or Orion 32?

Thank you.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for the response. We're clearly considering more flavors of HD. Nailing the compensation stuff, the sound and the value and power of the real time FX has made this product an instant hit. I haven't seen a product leap to the top so fast in my 11 years with Antelope.

Thank you all for your interest and enthusiasm. You've given me a whole new level of energy for our products!
Very cool to see this thinking! As a Zen Tour and HDX owner - you certainly have my attention! Though a DigiLink enabled OrionStudioHD would be the one for me!

PS - thanks for the session preset video. I totally got the presets without looking at any instructions but in the video I saw that you could pull separate windows off the control panel to have FX, Mixer and routing and have them all visible at once! Had no idea you could do this! This makes a huge difference in usability for me. Cool...
Old 24th March 2017
Here for the gear

You mentioned that running PTHD via the Mini-Digilink-Ports (64CH) and running USB3 (64CH) at the same time is possible - on the same machine I guess. Is it possible to use the HD and USB ports on two workstations e.g. one machine with Logic Pro X connected via USB3 and a second system with ProToolsHDX and route the USB together with analog IO to the HDX? How´s clocking done in this case?
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentservice View Post
You mentioned that running PTHD via the Mini-Digilink-Ports (64CH) and running USB3 (64CH) at the same time is possible - on the same machine I guess. Is it possible to use the HD and USB ports on two workstations e.g. one machine with Logic Pro X connected via USB3 and a second system with ProToolsHDX and route the USB together with analog IO to the HDX? How´s clocking done in this case?
Yes, you can have a 2nd machine sending audio via USB3. But, for now, the HDX ports need to be on the same system, though.
Old 24th March 2017
Here for the gear

When clocking the Orion HD to PT I guess this clock source is the base for the whole unit and therefore the USB IO too?
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentservice View Post
When clocking the Orion HD to PT I guess this clock source is the base for the whole unit and therefore the USB IO too?
The Orion is the master clock for both systems. Just make sure to keep everything at the same rate.
Old 24th March 2017
I've been looking at the converters comparison table on Antelope's site and seen the Orion HD measures better than the original/studio/+

Aren't they supposed to be the same converters only with different features?
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
I've been looking at the converters comparison table on Antelope's site and seen the Orion HD measures better than the original/studio/+

Aren't they supposed to be the same converters only with different features?
The 32HD does have slightly newer chips, but audibly they are nearly identical, due to our clocking.
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
The 32HD does have slightly newer chips, but audibly they are nearly identical, due to our clocking.
Interesting, newer ADDA chips or analog stage ?

And also, if I understand correctly you are using the same clocking in both Pure2 and the Orion and I don't find them identical sounding..

Last edited by TanTan; 24th March 2017 at 05:07 PM..
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear
So, is my scenario possible? I got an HD Native Pci-e card, two Apogee DA16X with an X-HD card on each one and an AD16X also with X-HD card inside. The three interfaces are attached to one of the two digilink ports and are seen as 32 analog out and 16 analog in (a total of 48 channels).
I want to attach an Orion32 HD to the second Digilink port on my HD Native card. With a single Mini Digilink cable will it be seen as 32 analog in and 32 analog out without problems? Is my system possible or do I have to buy and HDX? From what I have seen around seems like it will be possible even without an HDX.
Hope someone could help me clarifying my doubts
Old 25th March 2017
Quote:
Interesting, newer ADDA chips or analog stage ?

And also, if I understand correctly you are using the same clocking in both Pure2 and the Orion and I don't find them identical sounding..
Both AD and DA, but we're talking 2db of dynamic range improvement. It's incremental. They both sound great!

Yes, clocking in Pure2 and Orion are the same, however you're talking about different animals in that case. The Pure2 has better performing DA chips and there are 2 of them on the Main DA, so one for each channel. The Pure2 has different analog components, as well as a linear psu.

So back to your main topic here, Orino32+ and Orion32 HD sound nearly identical and are excellent multi-channel converters.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 25th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
So, is my scenario possible? I got an HD Native Pci-e card, two Apogee DA16X with an X-HD card on each one and an AD16X also with X-HD card inside. The three interfaces are attached to one of the two digilink ports and are seen as 32 analog out and 16 analog in (a total of 48 channels).
I want to attach an Orion32 HD to the second Digilink port on my HD Native card. With a single Mini Digilink cable will it be seen as 32 analog in and 32 analog out without problems? Is my system possible or do I have to buy and HDX? From what I have seen around seems like it will be possible even without an HDX.
Hope someone could help me clarifying my doubts
Yes, you can do this, but I suggest Orion32HD be the master clock in this scenario. You can setup the 32HD to either appear as 2 192's or (2) HD IO 16x16's. I suggest the HD IO, because the routing is easier and we have more headroom in this mode for delay compensation, which is going to be sample accurate, in our case. In fact, I think you'll end up with (2) Orions by the time things are said and done.

Keep me posted if you have any other questions. I'm here to assist, as is our Support team, before, during and after the process.

Regards,
Marcel
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes, you can do this, but I suggest Orion32HD be the master clock in this scenario. You can setup the 32HD to either appear as 2 192's or (2) HD IO 16x16's. I suggest the HD IO, because the routing is easier and we have more headroom in this mode for delay compensation, which is going to be sample accurate, in our case. In fact, I think you'll end up with (2) Orions by the time things are said and done.

Keep me posted if you have any other questions. I'm here to assist, as is our Support team, before, during and after the process.

Regards,
Marcel
Hi Marcel,
thanks a lot for the hints. So, why two HDX ports on the Orion32 HD?
Old 25th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
Hi Marcel,
thanks a lot for the hints. So, why two HDX ports on the Orion32 HD?
Because you can use the first port for 32 channels of AD/DA and the 2nd for digital or to route to our AFX from the DAW, so the extra channels are very access. It can show up as (4) HD IO 16x16 total.
Old 26th March 2017
Hi,
Is usb 3.0 or 3.1?

@Actualsizeaudio: For comparison with metric halo converters, please send some files when you'll have time, it will be interesting for sure.
Old 26th March 2017
Quote:
Both AD and DA, but we're talking 2db of dynamic range improvement. It's incremental. They both sound great!

Yes, clocking in Pure2 and Orion are the same, however you're talking about different animals in that case. The Pure2 has better performing DA chips and there are 2 of them on the Main DA, so one for each channel. The Pure2 has different analog components, as well as a linear psu.

So back to your main topic here, Orino32+ and Orion32 HD sound nearly identical and are excellent multi-channel converters.

Thanks,
Marcel
Thanks ! I'll probably wait for a Pure 32 for my mixing setup !!
Old 26th March 2017
Quote:
Thanks ! I'll probably wait for a Pure 32 for my mixing setup !!
Just get a Goliath and call it a day. There will never be a Pure32...

And I just had my 3rd client in a row tell me my mastering sounds better than last year. Only change I made was switching to a Goliath from the Pure2's. I love the Pure2, but Goliath is my all time fave converter!
Old 26th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
Hi,
Is usb 3.0 or 3.1?

@Actualsizeaudio: For comparison with metric halo converters, please send some files when you'll have time, it will be interesting for sure.
USB 3.1 or USBc has no spec for audio yet to my knowledge. We are using USB3.
Old 26th March 2017
Quote:
Just get a Goliath and call it a day. There will never be a Pure32...

And I just had my 3rd client in a row tell me my mastering sounds better than last year. Only change I made was switching to a Goliath from the Pure2's. I love the Pure2, but Goliath is my all time fave converter!
Aren't the converters inside Goliath similar to the Orion converters?

Regarding "there will never be a Pure 32"
Well.. I dunno man.. Lynx just did a Hilo 32 ! :-))
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search