The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 20th February 2017
  #151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
That's a good question, but I have tried a hub and it seemed fine for me, though we'll need to test more. We've been focused like lasers on the sample accuracy in Pro Tools.

So, I suggest an extender, although a longer cable should also work.

This is the type a to type b that works with Orion32HD, btw.
Ok, thanks for your reply Marcel. I look forward to finding out the definitive cable length limit. I ask because I bought an Orion32 about 6 months ago and was crushed to pieces to find out after the fact (no mention of this limitation in the specs) that the USB cable length limit was 5 feet! This meant my Orion has to be tucked under and behind my desk in a corner to barely reach my PC in the machine closet. It makes it very inconvenient for running word clock and adat cables between my hardware rack to the Orion, not to mention the fact that this beautiful piece of hardware can't be seen or reached from my desk.

My Canadian $0.02 ($0.015 US)
Old 24th February 2017
  #152
Dealers are saying early March. Does that still seem realistic?
Old 25th February 2017
  #153
Gear Head
 
AdamNewman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneshifter View Post
Ok, thanks for your reply Marcel. I look forward to finding out the definitive cable length limit. I ask because I bought an Orion32 about 6 months ago and was crushed to pieces to find out after the fact (no mention of this limitation in the specs) that the USB cable length limit was 5 feet! This meant my Orion has to be tucked under and behind my desk in a corner to barely reach my PC in the machine closet. It makes it very inconvenient for running word clock and adat cables between my hardware rack to the Orion, not to mention the fact that this beautiful piece of hardware can't be seen or reached from my desk.

My Canadian $0.02 ($0.015 US)
That's bizarre. While it may be in the docs as a limit, I specifically remember using a 20' cable with my Orion 32 and not having a problem with it. I was entirely unaware of the 5' "limit". Is this a problem with higher sample rates? I don't think that I ran it very high - probably never over 96k.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to this. I put my order in yesterday.

A the Q and ship it!
Old 25th February 2017
  #154
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneshifter View Post
Ok, thanks for your reply Marcel. I look forward to finding out the definitive cable length limit. I ask because I bought an Orion32 about 6 months ago and was crushed to pieces to find out after the fact (no mention of this limitation in the specs) that the USB cable length limit was 5 feet! This meant my Orion has to be tucked under and behind my desk in a corner to barely reach my PC in the machine closet. It makes it very inconvenient for running word clock and adat cables between my hardware rack to the Orion, not to mention the fact that this beautiful piece of hardware can't be seen or reached from my desk.

My Canadian $0.02 ($0.015 US)
Try with other cables (high quality) and active (powered) ones, as a last resort.
Old 27th February 2017
  #155
Lives for gear
 
mlange's Avatar
 

Our 192 I/Os may have limited futures

The caveat will be seamless hardware insert integration - it's all about the workflow over here. Congrats on the feature set!
Old 27th February 2017
  #156
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
You get it Al. This is indeed a great time to go Pro Tools HD. They charge a $299 hardware license and you're all set. I doubt they will ever go back to bundles only, because they are moving to a software subscription model as they have shown.

But, having an Antelope with it's own Monitoring, FX, Routing and growing platform on top of HD and being able to seamlessly run things like Logic, Studio One, Live at the same time on either the same computer or a 2nd computer via USB3 all in one interface is amazing, i have to say. Imagine you want to bounce stems from Live to Pro Tools? It's never been easier. Just drag those channels from the USB3 play row in our routing to the HDX Out and print them "live" into Pro Tools! You can even create effects inserts that are routed into Pro Tools HD, the same way you would route to our AFX. So, you can essentially have routing from Native DAWS into HD's FX and back into the DAW.

There will be so many ways to enhance and speed up workflow using Orion32HD.
@Clybourne: Really curious about this set up (for a film/tv composer workstation). So:
- From Logic/Cubase/DP - how many channels can I send on the same machine, from the main DAW to PTHD? 32 or 64?
- Apart from the PTHD license, I'd need the PCIe for HD native, right? -or the thunderbolt HD native card (connected by digiport to the Orion32HD)?
- Is an HD Native Card enough or do I need HDX?
- What about having those in separate machines: main DAW connected to USB3 and PTHD in another computer through digiport? Also 32/64 channels?

This could be a game changer for composer setups.

Thanks!!!
Old 28th February 2017
  #157
Yes, you need an AVID card, HD license, and the DigiLink license.

HDN vs HDX vs just staying fully native is a can of worms conversation that justifies a separate thread. Many factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlu View Post
@Clybourne: Really curious about this set up (for a film/tv composer workstation). So:
- From Logic/Cubase/DP - how many channels can I send on the same machine, from the main DAW to PTHD? 32 or 64?
- Apart from the PTHD license, I'd need the PCIe for HD native, right? -or the thunderbolt HD native card (connected by digiport to the Orion32HD)?
- Is an HD Native Card enough or do I need HDX?
- What about having those in separate machines: main DAW connected to USB3 and PTHD in another computer through digiport? Also 32/64 channels?

This could be a game changer for composer setups.

Thanks!!!
Old 28th February 2017
  #158
Early March is technically tomorrow. Any updates on shipping?
Old 1st March 2017
  #159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Early March is technically tomorrow. Any updates on shipping?
Shipments began going out yesterday. They will take a few more days to reach various dealers, depending on shipping and customs clearances.
Old 4th March 2017
  #160
It's funny that I was told about this USB cable length limit by tech support (pretty sure it's in the manual too, will have to check) and blindly abided by it since the last thing I wanted was a less stable audio interface!

Since AdamNewman said he used a 20' cable with no issues, I boldly purchased the highest quality 10' USB 2.0 available at my local computer store ($4.00), and tried it out for myself. To my wonderful amazement the Orion 32 operated just as it should. I tested at high and low buffer settings, but only at 48kHz so far. Also since installing the new driver and control panel, the Orion plays nicely with Pro Tools on my PC whereas before I would constantly have to restart Pro Tools to sync up with the Orion's sample rate.

Old 7th March 2017
  #161
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Shipments began going out yesterday. They will take a few more days to reach various dealers, depending on shipping and customs clearances.
My dealer (in Sweden) got my unit yesterday, and will ship it as soon as i pay up (which i also did yesterday), so the gods of GAS are good (as i am a most devoted follower), i will hold it in my hands tomorrow!
Old 7th March 2017
  #162
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
My dealer (in Sweden) got my unit yesterday, and will ship it as soon as i pay up (which i also did yesterday), so the gods of GAS are good (as i am a most devoted follower), i will hold it in my hands tomorrow!
Let us know if you have any questions once you get it.

Many units are now on their way to dealers around the world!
Old 7th March 2017
  #163
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Let us know if you have any questions once you get it.

Many units are now on their way to dealers around the world!
I´ll RTFM first of course, but if i run into serious complications, i´ll let you know. Thanks!
Less thank 24hrs until i can pick mine up now.. I´m in pain!

Old 9th March 2017
  #164
Gear Addict
Pain gone. Picked it up yesterday evening and unfortunately i had not much time for it more than unboxing, visual inspection, software installation / firmware upgrade and finally adding the most basic connections so i could verify that the device was functional and sweet sound once again was flowing though my monitors.

So far, i´m very happy with my purchase, and i cant wait to get home and play some more. Antelope Support also sent me an e-mail containing a generous offer with the synergy bundle, thanks guys! Plugins will certainly come in handy.

No trouble at all installing the software, almost too easy. My house has probably gone up in flames when i get back this evening.

This weekend i´m having the house for myself most of the time, so i´ll be getting my hands dirty.

(edit: will be getting my hands dirty by making music and designing sounds, of course)

Last edited by defdaft; 10th March 2017 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: The dirty minds of some people
Old 10th March 2017
  #165
Complete Sample Accuracy

Now, even the digital inputs can be compensated.


Last edited by Clybourne; 10th March 2017 at 04:36 AM..
Old 10th March 2017
  #166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Now, even the digital inputs can be compensated.

Unreal. So excited. It was hard for me to see, were you using MADI to connect the units? *edit* I could hear you say the "madi interface loops back correctly".

Also, Will these settings load into the box, or will we have to have the Antelope mixer running for these delays to work?
Old 10th March 2017
  #167
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Antelope Audio announces availability of Orion32 HD HDX & USB 3.0 interface innovator

Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3-unnamed.jpg

Having blown musical minds when debuted at The 2017 NAMM Show, January 19-22 in Anaheim, California, high-end professional audio equipment manufacturer Antelope Audio is proud to announce that it is now shipping the Orion32 HD — its newest addition to the outstanding Orion32 family, featuring full Pro Tools | HD and Native DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) compatibility and simultaneous streaming of 64 I/O channels of pristine 24-bit/192kHz audio via HDX and USB 3.0 connectivity with realtime (zero-latency) monitoring — as of March 10...

Powered by Antelope Audio’s best-in-class 64-bit AFC (Acoustically Focused Clocking) jitter-free management technology to deliver accurate and clear conversion with depth and detail in stereo imaging and transient accuracy that ensures the most precise audio capture and playback, Orion32 HD supports any DAW on the market. Moreover, its HDX and USB 3.0 ports are available simultaneously, so more than one DAW platform can be used and accessed at any given time. That apart, with an abundance of digital connectivity via HDX, USB 3.0, MADI, ADAT, and S/PDIF alongside analogue I/O (32-in/32-out) on standard 25-pin D-SUB connectors, Orion32 HD has all the right connections needed to configure it for a wide range of applications as the perfect fit for studios of all shapes and sizes.

Sporting software control par excellence, Orion32 HD’s Mac OS X- and Windows-compatible routing and mixing console desktop app is as versatile as it is intuitive, boasting both Antelope Audio’s classic, colour-coded routing matrix and an alternative view to make routing even easier with movable and resizable panels to help make best use of desktop ‘screen estate’ in multiscreen setups or when working on scoring or other applications with the need to speedily jump between applications and windows.

What’s more, Orion32 HD benefits from Antelope Audio’s revolutionary approach to audio processing with its comprehensive suite of hardware-based FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) effects providing hardware models of some of the most desirable vintage effects around with realtime performance. Put it this way — with the company’s constantly growing library of free FPGA effects embracing EQs, compressors, and guitar amp models based on analogue gear gracing countless hit records, Orion32 HD is geared up to make some hits of its own as Antelope Audio’s fast FPGA processing pushes those effects into sounding and behaving just like the hardware classics upon which they are based, also allowing users to set up multiple monitor mixes in realtime right within Orion32 HD’s mixer!

Meanwhile, with two WC (Word Clock) or Loopsync outputs, Orion32 HD can comfortably serve as the centrepiece of any recording setup or take anyone’s sound still further forward by using its 10M/10MX clock inputs to connect to Antelope Audio’s acclaimed 10M Rubidium Atomic Clock or 10MX Rubidium Atomic Clock for the best clocking in the industry with unparalleled sonic perfection. Speaking of perfection, Orion32 HD has a mastering-grade monitor output borrowed from Antelope Audio’s Pure2 2 Channel AD/DA Convertor & Master Clock to ensure signal integrity in the analogue domain. Orion32 HD also makes for a perfect pairing with Antelope Audio’s MP32 32 Channel Pure Class A Mic Pre and Satori Mastering Grade Monitor Controller.

The Orion32 HD itself is an efficient ‘green’ design with no need for an internal fan, freeing studio setups from noise pollution without resorting to expensive isolation racks or standalone machine rooms. Housed in a svelte black case taking up a single rack space, it delivers 64 channels of I/O to space-conscious home or project studios and gear-saturated professional setups alike — albeit with a full feature set unlike any other similarly-sized audio interface in its class. Clearly, then, the innovative Orion32 HD is a class act. Adding one to any setup surely sounds like sonic perfection personified.


Now shipping, Orion32 HD is available for purchase through Antelope Audio’s growing global network of dealers at an RRP of €3,495.00 EUR/$3,495.00 USD or directly from here: Orion32 HD | Antelope Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3-unnamed.jpg  
Old 10th March 2017
  #168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Unreal. So excited. It was hard for me to see, were you using MADI to connect the units? *edit* I could hear you say the "madi interface loops back correctly".

Also, Will these settings load into the box, or will we have to have the Antelope mixer running for these delays to work?
The delays will automatically be compensating the analog inputs by default for the HDX ports, so no need to use our mixer, it will just "work".
Old 10th March 2017
  #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
The delays will automatically be compensating the analog inputs by default for the HDX ports, so no need to use our mixer, it will just "work".
What about when we set them for the digital ports?
Old 11th March 2017
  #170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
What about when we set them for the digital ports?
That's what the video shows. For digital ports, you adjust it in our HDX Compensation page. You would need to do a loopback once with your configuration, as we can't otherwise know what delay your converter has. However late in the timeline the recorded audio is, you adjust by that many samples in our Compensator.
Old 11th March 2017
  #171
Gear Maniac
 
OwDU7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Pain gone. Picked it up yesterday evening and unfortunately i had not much time for it more than unboxing, visual inspection, software installation / firmware upgrade and finally adding the most basic connections so i could verify that the device was functional and sweet sound once again was flowing though my monitors.

So far, i´m very happy with my purchase, and i cant wait to get home and play some more. Antelope Support also sent me an e-mail containing a generous offer with the synergy bundle, thanks guys! Plugins will certainly come in handy.

No trouble at all installing the software, almost too easy. My house has probably gone up in flames when i get back this evening.

This weekend i´m having the house for myself most of the time, so i´ll be getting my hands dirty.

(edit: will be getting my hands dirty by making music and designing sounds, of course)
Can you post some samples - Lossless please. So we can evaluate the sound of the converter?
Thanks
Old 11th March 2017
  #172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
That's what the video shows. For digital ports, you adjust it in our HDX Compensation page. You would need to do a loopback once with your configuration, as we can't otherwise know what delay your converter has. However late in the timeline the recorded audio is, you adjust by that many samples in our Compensator.
I understand that. My apologies for not making my question clear.

My question is, after you figure out these values, and you set the proper delay time, does the unit remember these values for both the analog, AND digital inputs without the software running. In other words, can you set the state of the unit to remember routing and delay times within the unit itself, or does the software need to be running for these delay compensation times to be set.

My guess is since it can remember them automatically for the analog inputs, it can remember them for the digital ones as well.

Thanks for the response, I look forward to getting my unit sometime in the next week or so!

-Mike
Old 12th March 2017
  #173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
I understand that. My apologies for not making my question clear.

My question is, after you figure out these values, and you set the proper delay time, does the unit remember these values for both the analog, AND digital inputs without the software running. In other words, can you set the state of the unit to remember routing and delay times within the unit itself, or does the software need to be running for these delay compensation times to be set.

My guess is since it can remember them automatically for the analog inputs, it can remember them for the digital ones as well.

Thanks for the response, I look forward to getting my unit sometime in the next week or so!

-Mike
Yes, once you set the delay, you can close the panel as it's being done with our FPGA right after conversion. The software is only entering the amounts, not doing the actual processing.
Old 13th March 2017
  #174
@Clybourne: hi Marcel, a few quick questions if i may:

my main machine is PC with nuendo/cubase for scoring&post, and a MBP when mobile. both have USB3, MPB also has TB2. currently, i use RME UFX and zero latency monitor bunch of inputs, also utilize this for a barrage of outboard reverbs send/returns. no analog inserts as such, so zero latency was good enough without the need for sample accurate loopback. however, this will change now, as i'm introducing a 500 rack for comps equalizers, and will start incorporating analog inserts into the system. in light of that:

1. is automatic analog insert compensation of Orion 32 HD hw/sw supported with Steinberg software, or will it require manual setting per ch. ?

2. how many input channels can i monitor with zero latency? i'm not clear on differences btwn 32+, Goliath and HD models in that respect. UFX has this on all of its inputs.

3. with 64 inputs and 64 outputs available, i presume i could run 32i/o analog plus 16 adat i/o simultaneously via single USB3 connection ? and are these numbers @ 48k, or @ 96k as well? (s/mux halving of adat ch withstanding).



finally, and i'm aware this is too case specific for any precise answers, but would you estimate 32HD might be a better option for me than 32+, or is it a waste since i'm not a PT/HDX user?

TB doesn't seem probable for Windows and Antelope at this moment. i'd prefer USB3 bandwidth to USB2. also, the fact you upped the converters a tad since 32+ model isn't without appeal either.


thanks, kind regards
Tom

Last edited by clusterchord; 14th March 2017 at 12:57 AM..
Old 15th March 2017
  #175
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwDU7 View Post
Can you post some samples - Lossless please. So we can evaluate the sound of the converter?
Thanks
I would if i could, but unfortunately some weirdness happened to my DAW computer, i couldn´t get the drivers for the card going and it ended up me doing something late at night which ended up with the computer not booting.
Observe - this is a fault of mine, and before this happened i logged an issue with Antelope support and got an answer pretty fast wich will hopefully resolve the driver problems.

Meanwhile, just to make sure, i installed drivers and launcher in my work macbook pro (win10) and had it working like a charm - so keep your computers updated since that one is!

When / if i eventually get my workstation up and running properly again i will try to generate some samples. Sorry for the letdown guys, but i am pretty relieved that i got the card running super-fast at my second computer without issues, and it has been running steady for a couple of days now.
Old 15th March 2017
  #176
Gear Maniac
 
OwDU7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
I would if i could, but unfortunately some weirdness happened to my DAW computer, i couldn´t get the drivers for the card going and it ended up me doing something late at night which ended up with the computer not booting.
Observe - this is a fault of mine, and before this happened i logged an issue with Antelope support and got an answer pretty fast wich will hopefully resolve the driver problems.

Meanwhile, just to make sure, i installed drivers and launcher in my work macbook pro (win10) and had it working like a charm - so keep your computers updated since that one is!

When / if i eventually get my workstation up and running properly again i will try to generate some samples. Sorry for the letdown guys, but i am pretty relieved that i got the card running super-fast at my second computer without issues, and it has been running steady for a couple of days now.
No stress...
Old 15th March 2017
  #177
1. is automatic analog insert compensation of Orion 32 HD hw/sw supported with Steinberg software, or will it require manual setting per ch. ?

This occurs via the driver for Native DAW's, so no need to have it in the FPGA of Orion32HD. If you system varies at all, there are recording latency settings in nearly all DAW's, which isn't the case for Pro Tools HD, so that's why we have the ability for the HDX connections.

2. how many input channels can i monitor with zero latency? i'm not clear on differences btwn 32+, Goliath and HD models in that respect. UFX has this on all of its inputs.

There are 4x 32 Channel real time mixers, so all the inputs can be monitored.

3. with 64 inputs and 64 outputs available, i presume i could run 32i/o analog plus 16 adat i/o simultaneously via single USB3 connection ? and are these numbers @ 48k, or @ 96k as well? (s/mux halving of adat ch withstanding).

Yes, you can record the analog inputs and the digital. ADAT S/MUX reduces the channels to 8 at 96K.


finally, and i'm aware this is too case specific for any precise answers, but would you estimate 32HD might be a better option for me than 32+, or is it a waste since i'm not a PT/HDX user?

It depends. If you're Windows (sounds that way) USB3 would be easier to setup on most systems, certainly the newer ones. So, this would tip the scale to Orion32HD for you. It's doing very well out of the gate with various PC customers seeking a high end solution. I estimate about 1/2 our orders are coming from Native users.
Old 15th March 2017
  #178
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwDU7 View Post
Can you post some samples - Lossless please. So we can evaluate the sound of the converter?
Thanks
What kind of audio samples are you looking for? Loopback samples? It's tough to show that in an arbitrary manner. It's really best for users to use and experience the sound quality on their on setups and material.

But, while posting has been slow, units are starting to reach customers and so far it's been 100% positive reactions. We're thrilled, in fact!

Btw, US units began to ship out yesterday and more arriving very soon at our dealers.
Old 15th March 2017
  #179
Gear Maniac
 
OwDU7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
What kind of audio samples are you looking for? Loopback samples? It's tough to show that in an arbitrary manner. It's really best for users to use and experience the sound quality on their on setups and material.

But, while posting has been slow, units are starting to reach customers and so far it's been 100% positive reactions. We're thrilled, in fact!

Btw, US units began to ship out yesterday and more arriving very soon at our dealers.
No loopback samples, Just plain tracking with acoustic instruments, with no inserted Fxs so I can evaluate the sound, just that. If I like the result I would get one and test it in my studio. Just that.
Old 15th March 2017
  #180
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
2. how many input channels can i monitor with zero latency? i'm not clear on differences btwn 32+, Goliath and HD models in that respect. UFX has this on all of its inputs.

There are 4x 32 Channel real time mixers, so all the inputs can be monitored.
[/B]
If This interface is capable of 64 inputs, and the 4X32 Mixers are the same as in the Zen Tour (four individual 32 channel mixers) then doesn't that mean the total input channels one can combine in the Low Latency Antelope Mixer is 32... not 64?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump