The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 11th February 2017
Lives for gear

Old 11th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
USB is already sample accurate on our interfaces, because this is done with the driver and reporting tables. With HD and HDX, it's different because the stream has to arrive when Pro Tools expects it to be place properly.

I'm calling this BADASS - Buffered Audio Delivering Accurate Sample Streaming
I can tell you that my Orion 32 is NOT sampleaccurate. Not with what protools expects and not in any way really, same story with studio one and using the ping. When running a channel out and in of Orion, there is no way of aligning it with samples to the original track and it also changes with samplerates..

I am on Mavericks with protools 10HD, 11HD, 12HD and studio one 3.

So the 32HD will be sampleaccurate with USB and protools HD, without doing anything manual? I just want to be 100% sure...
Old 11th February 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythm'BackStudio View Post
I can tell you that my Orion 32 is NOT sampleaccurate. Not with what protools expects and not in any way really, same story with studio one and using the ping. When running a channel out and in of Orion, there is no way of aligning it with samples to the original track and it also changes with samplerates..

So the 32HD will be sampleaccurate with USB and protools HD, without doing anything manual? I just want to be 100% sure...
First, Orion32 uses usb2 (and TB, of course) - since usb3 is ten times faster that usb2, the HD will have enough headroom. Usb2 could handle 32 channels so, with usb3 the possibilities are very promising.
Since i am not a tech guy with all the specs at hand, this is like, just my opinion, man.
But upgrading for a HD is two leaps for you, since you skip 32+ and head straight for the top, which seems to me as the right way to go about it. There´s been hinted about coming improvements aswell, the FGPA effects for instance, and the HD also has better s/n ratio. Good stuff!
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
First, Orion32 uses usb2 (and TB, of course) - since usb3 is ten times faster that usb2, the HD will have enough headroom. Usb2 could handle 32 channels so, with usb3 the possibilities are very promising.
Since i am not a tech guy with all the specs at hand, this is like, just my opinion, man.
But upgrading for a HD is two leaps for you, since you skip 32+ and head straight for the top, which seems to me as the right way to go about it. There´s been hinted about coming improvements aswell, the FGPA effects for instance, and the HD also has better s/n ratio. Good stuff!
Hehe.. Who said anything about me wanting, or even thinking about upgrading to 32+? The ONLY thing that matters at this point is sample accuracy, and especially sample accuracy with PT-HDX hardware, and how well it is implemented.

If Orion 32HD on USB can be seen by Pro Tools as HDX hardware and work accordingly thats AMAZING, if not, connecting into some HD hardware is no problem, and still a great step forward!
Old 12th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythm'BackStudio View Post

I will have the tables looked at. The driver may need an update. But, this is the first I've heard about this one. The converters have tables for all the buffers and rates.

Pro Tools is different and we are doing this with a correction buffer, instead of the driver tables, which is my point. HD has no way to do corrective buffering that's sample accurate. The whole gripe here.

But, for native, as I said, I'll inquire about the latest status.
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Maniac

I would be curious to demo Antelope AD converter for printing my mixes vs my Avid hd16x16 @Clybourne.
A friend of mine will bring his UA 2192, I'm also interested demoing a Burl...
I live in the south of France, no distributor here.
Old 12th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I will have the tables looked at. The driver may need an update. But, this is the first I've heard about this one. The converters have tables for all the buffers and rates.

Pro Tools is different and we are doing this with a correction buffer, instead of the driver tables, which is my point. HD has no way to do corrective buffering that's sample accurate. The whole gripe here.

But, for native, as I said, I'll inquire about the latest status.
Yes, I think a driver update might be what is needed since you say it should be working.

In any case, the 32HD will be a very nice upgrade given the functions are working as expected
Old 13th February 2017
Lives for gear

Is there an exact ship date? I'm REALLY interested in buying a pair of these, but I have to hold on to some Aurora Lynx to keep my rig going, but will need to sell them to finance the purchase... so its a bit of a dance I'm doing here, but I really really really want these 32 HD units!
Old 14th February 2017
RIH
Here for the gear

Can I use the Orion32 HD in common with the Orion Studio to increase my I/O?
Or would the Goliath be the next step if I/O of the orion Studio are not enough?

Just thinking about updating my Studio...
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone have a legit ship date?
Old 15th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogtodd View Post
Is there an exact ship date? I'm REALLY interested in buying a pair of these, but I have to hold on to some Aurora Lynx to keep my rig going, but will need to sell them to finance the purchase... so its a bit of a dance I'm doing here, but I really really really want these 32 HD units!
We are starting production this week. Still have some QA on our end to finalize. I am guessing a couple more weeks till shipping at least. Will keep updating folks.

I'd suggest getting in line with your dealer of choice. The preorders picked up quite a bit the past week.
Old 15th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIH View Post
Can I use the Orion32 HD in common with the Orion Studio to increase my I/O?
Or would the Goliath be the next step if I/O of the orion Studio are not enough?

Just thinking about updating my Studio...
One great thing about Apple's OS (I know right, we always would rather gripe) as that the past few verions have great Aggregate implementation in the AudioMIDI Setup. You can combine any of our interfaces. Just clock one to the other and select the master device first when making the aggregate. Then deselect drift correction, which is automatically checked in AudioMIDI as you add devices.

Last year at NAMM, I had 5x Orion32+ running flawlessly and sample accurate at once on a newer Mac Pro for 160 channels. Just make sure whatever you do, your hard drives can keep up. I was using 3 drives.
Old 17th February 2017
I have a simple question for you Marcel.
What is the longest USB3 cable that can be used with the Orion 32HD?
Old 17th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneshifter View Post
I have a simple question for you Marcel.
What is the longest USB3 cable that can be used with the Orion 32HD?
That's a good question, but I have tried a hub and it seemed fine for me, though we'll need to test more. We've been focused like lasers on the sample accuracy in Pro Tools.

So, I suggest an extender, although a longer cable should also work.

This is the type a to type b that works with Orion32HD, btw.

Old 17th February 2017
Integrating Orion32HD into Pro Tools HD systems

Just a little tour of the Orion32HD, which is in final beta testing right now. I wanted to show how it would be setup as part of an HD rig and how ic can mimic a number of HD interfaces for making integration customizable. The 32HD can be a 192 IO, HD IO 8x8, HD IO 16x16, or MADI HD.

Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just a little tour of the Orion32HD, which is in final beta testing right now. I wanted to show how it would be setup as part of an HD rig and how ic can mimic a number of HD interfaces for making integration customizable. The 32HD can be a 192 IO, HD IO 8x8, HD IO 16x16, or MADI HD.

As easy as that. I'm so impressed.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Amazing. So simple yet powerful
Old 18th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Amazing. So simple yet powerful
I think people running HD are going to love it. The cool factor of running stuff like Logic on the same interface as Pro Tools is just a life/time saver. When you start exploring our FX and consider we have sample accuracy and the value of the 32 channels with Antelope clocking, we think this will go over quite well.

I've never had such "urgent" messages about "I need it for this new project right away" kind of messages before. We expect to ship soon, but can't yet promise the precise date. I expect early March.
Old 18th February 2017
this is damn cool Marcel. Igor and the guys are really cranking.

I've never been an HD guy, but this may change that. so, I would just get this and buy into PTHD and I'm good to go? of course you gotta hope that Avid stays with allowing people to buying PTHD without buying hardware. plus there is a big difference between the PTN and PTHD annual update prices. but still...

business has been growing, so I may have to look into it mid-year.
Old 18th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post

I've never been an HD guy, but this may change that. so, I would just get this and buy into PTHD and I'm good to go? of course you gotta hope that Avid stays with allowing people to buying PTHD without buying hardware. plus there is a big difference between the PTN and PTHD annual update prices. but still...

You get it Al. This is indeed a great time to go Pro Tools HD. They charge a $299 hardware license and you're all set. I doubt they will ever go back to bundles only, because they are moving to a software subscription model as they have shown.

But, having an Antelope with it's own Monitoring, FX, Routing and growing platform on top of HD and being able to seamlessly run things like Logic, Studio One, Live at the same time on either the same computer or a 2nd computer via USB3 all in one interface is amazing, i have to say. Imagine you want to bounce stems from Live to Pro Tools? It's never been easier. Just drag those channels from the USB3 play row in our routing to the HDX Out and print them "live" into Pro Tools! You can even create effects inserts that are routed into Pro Tools HD, the same way you would route to our AFX. So, you can essentially have routing from Native DAWS into HD's FX and back into the DAW.

There will be so many ways to enhance and speed up workflow using Orion32HD.
Old 18th February 2017
pretty darn impressive on all fronts... I better stay away from this thread or I'm going to be in trouble!
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

You would need to purchase the following:

1. PT HD Software or subscribe
2. HD Native PCIe card or HDX
3. DigiLink License

You could of course just use the USB port on the Orion HD and use regular PT. However, I think there are more suitable Antelope interfaces for non HD systems.
Old 18th February 2017
No, this is intended for HD *hardware* users. If you're not using HD TDM, HDX, or HDN, there's probably not a reason to look at this, since you'll be running it natively anyway.

When people mention PTHD, it's not the software aspect they're normally referring to. You should just look at the comparable native system. To use this as an HD I/O like we're all talking abut you need to shell out for an HDX or similar AVID card.

Quote:

Old 18th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
You would need to purchase the following:

1. PT HD Software or subscribe
2. HD Native PCIe card or HDX
3. DigiLink License

You could of course just use the USB port on the Orion HD and use regular PT. However, I think there are more suitable Antelope interfaces for non HD systems.
That's a bunch of investment before the interface. I didn't realize you still needed a PT card or interface.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's a bunch of investment before the interface. I didn't realize you still needed a PT card or interface.
You can use PT HD software without Avid hardware. However, without a DigiLink card and license, you can't use the DigiLink ports on the Orion HD.

If I was a non PT HD user and wanted an Antelope interface, the Orion Studio or Goliath would be my picks.
Old 18th February 2017
Quote:
It depends on your needs. Pro tools cards have also come down in price lately.

If you are a one man shop, you can usually make it work w/o the extra DSP muscle of Pro Tools and stay Native. But, if you have many clients coming in, they may appreciate having the industry standard platform and their plugs. I do have some friends like Brian Vibberts and Darrell Thorp who just couldn't do the mixing they do at their channel counts with an all Native system. I know Brian has tried it.

I do think there are a lot of people now finding that Pro Tools HD or HDX are more attainable than ever. What we've done is cut the price of 32 channels in 1/2 and offering our clocking, FX and that dual DAW ability, so that it's simple go back and forth to other platforms or even use them at the same time.

When I first helped plan our HD interface launch, I always assumed most of the customers would be existing HD users. I'm finding out, there are a lot of new customers using this opportunity to get into HD for the first time.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
It depends on your needs. Pro tools cards have also come down in price lately.

If you are a one man shop, you can usually make it work w/o the extra DSP muscle of Pro Tools and stay Native. But, if you have many clients coming in, they may appreciate having the industry standard platform and their plugs. I do have some friends like Brian Vibberts and Darrell Thorp who just couldn't do the mixing they do at their channel counts with an all Native system. I know Brian has tried it.

I do think there are a lot of people now finding that Pro Tools HD or HDX are more attainable than ever. What we've done is cut the price of 32 channels in 1/2 and offering our clocking, FX and that dual DAW ability, so that it's simple go back and forth to other platforms or even use them at the same time.

When I first helped plan our HD interface launch, I always assumed most of the customers would be existing HD users. I'm finding out, there are a lot of new customers using this opportunity to get into HD for the first time.
If I was starting all over again and wanted to get into PT HD at the cheapest possible route with an Orion HD interface, I would be looking at around £6,500 UK. That would get me PT HD software, HD Native PCIe Card, DigiLink License and the Orion HD.

Not sure I would do that myself. Cost me less than half that to get into PT HD in 2012. But now I'm already invested, I won't go back to regular PT.

The Orion HD is no doubt the best bang for buck when it comes to a HD interface. Although the Avid HD IO has slightly better dynamic range, a 16 analogue IO costs more than the Orion HD over here in the U.K.
Old 18th February 2017
Quote:
If I was starting all over again and wanted to get into PT HD at the cheapest possible route with an Orion HD interface, I would be looking at around £6,500 UK. That would get me PT HD software, HD Native PCIe Card, DigiLink License and the Orion HD.

Not sure I would do that myself. Cost me less than half that to get into PT HD in 2012. But now I'm already invested, I won't go back to regular PT.

The Orion HD is no doubt the best bang for buck when it comes to a HD interface. Although the Avid HD IO has slightly better dynamic range, a 16 analogue IO costs more than the Orion HD over here in the U.K.
Dynamic range alone is a very narrow way of measuring how the sound will compare. With our clocking and design of our analog stage, I fully expect we will compete exceptionally well in side by side comparison. :-)

But, I do get your points.

I just think when you factor in our FX offering have only just begun, the 32HD does open some doors for "new" HD users.

That said, the #1 DAW for our Thunderbolt interfaces is always Pro Tools. So, users are certainly trending Native these days and we're playing a role there.

I'm also looking at this product with the history of knowing that we built our company clocking Pro Tools HD systems. So, there's a proven track record of sound quality for Antelope in many pro studios around the world. With this clocking now included inside 32HD, it will be interesting to see how users respond to the sound.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Dynamic range alone is a very narrow way of measuring how the sound will compare. With our clocking and design of our analog stage, I fully expect we will compete exceptionally well in side by side comparison. :-)

But, I do get your points.

I just think when you factor in our FX offering have only just begun, the 32HD does open some doors for "new" HD users.

That said, the #1 DAW for our Thunderbolt interfaces is always Pro Tools. So, users are certainly trending Native these days and we're playing a role there.

I'm also looking at this product with the history of knowing that we built our company clocking Pro Tools HD systems. So, there's a proven track record of sound quality for Antelope in many pro studios around the world. With this clocking now included inside 32HD, it will be interesting to see how users respond to the sound.
The Orion HD specs are good enough for me. I'm currently using an Avid Omni so the Orion HD is definitely a step up.

I for one would love to see side by side comparisons with HD interfaces. Orion HD, Apogee Symphony Mk 2, Avid HD IO, DAD AX32, Burl Mothership and Focusrite Red Net and Red Pre.

Now that would be one hell of a shoot out.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear
Everything is looking great on this one!

Crazy idea - could Antelope ever make a small box that takes DiGilink and maps it to TB (with at least some Delay Comp for proper time aligning for a specific routing in the Antelope Interfaces)? I have HDX1 + 16X16 and ZT - I only need the small amount of channels ZT gives me and if HDX could see my ZT via DiGiLink-->TB - wouldn't that be cool? (thinking it through this probably is not so doable with all the time aligning...

WRT HDX vs HDN that is just the $$ difference between an HDN box/card and an HDX card - ~$2K. Add a Sonnet chassis if you have to. For what HDX gives to a tracking rig - pretty nice. If you need HDX2 as many would the price difference certainly becomes more significant - but nothing a few extra hours wouldn't make back in pro use... just my thinking. I chose HDX over HDN for a small mostly private studio. In general great Mics alone cost way more than the ProTools part...

Quote:
I for one would love to see side by side comparisons with HD interfaces. Orion HD, Apogee Symphony Mk 2, Avid HD IO, DAD AX32, Burl Mothership and Focusrite Red Net and Red Pre.
Now that would be one hell of a shoot out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search