The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

So, let me see if I get it right...
hardware parallel processing with this baby on an hdx rig would not be aligned to the sample? If I make a send to an Aux with an hardware comp in insert for example... should I rely on that crappy PT manual compensation which is in msec not even in samples and not at all trustable?

This is priority. Way more important then extra plugins. It would take me to buy an Avid interface, unless I only have to do tracking stuff. It's the first thing I thought when discovering this great news, and the reason why I came to gearslutz - "how did they solve the delay issue?"

...actually, I don't see why this is so difficult to implement. I see a number of possible solutions, some of which taking advantage of PT's own ADC...
Let us know.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

This looks amazing! I think the built in effects and processing is really interesting. I have been considering getting shot of my Orion 32 in favor of the 32+ but now this is on the market. Even better.
Old 18th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabboh View Post
So, let me see if I get it right...
hardware parallel processing with this baby on an hdx rig would not be aligned to the sample? If I make a send to an Aux with an hardware comp in insert for example... should I rely on that crappy PT manual compensation which is in msec not even in samples and not at all trustable?

This is priority. Way more important then extra plugins. It would take me to buy an Avid interface, unless I only have to do tracking stuff. It's the first thing I thought when discovering this great news, and the reason why I came to gearslutz - "how did they solve the delay issue?"

...actually, I don't see why this is so difficult to implement. I see a number of possible solutions, some of which taking advantage of PT's own ADC...
Let us know.
It's too early to jump to assumptions. The final architecture is being put into place now as we speak. The unit we have showing up as different AVID devices, so there will be some cool flexibility.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Head

of course, we look forward to great news...

just out of curiosity I'd like to know... I know for example that UA is addressing this problem on Apollos making PT report the delay in samples on the track on which the insert is set on... you then just have to take one other track you want to align and bring that out of the ADC scheme so that it will play with the same delay as the one with the insert on. Sorry if that's confusing, see here for a better explanation: link
but that's a mess to set up with more complex routing!

I was wondering... wouldn't it be a lot easier to make a custom "insert plugin" which replaces the one in PT so that it routes audio IN/OUT properly while reporting back to PT the correct sample delay to be compensated, just like any other AAX plugin does? This way PT takes the insert as a plugin (like UAD plugins for example, which are external processors anyway) and compensate for it automatically. The user will just have to use the "custom insert" plugin instead of the one stock in PT.

let me know if that makes sense
Old 20th January 2017
Are the converters sounds the same as in the original Orion ?
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Are the converters sounds the same as in the original Orion ?
They are the same as Goliath, Orion Studio, and Zen Tour. It's slightly updated over the original Orion33 and 32+.
Old 21st January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
They are the same as Goliath, Orion Studio, and Zen Tour. It's slightly updated over the original Orion33 and 32+.
Great news, it means i made the right choice in returning the 32+ in favour of the HD which i just ordered.
Old 24th January 2017
News Desk Editor

Old 4th February 2017
Any news regarding sample accuracy with other Avid HD I/O? I know the final architecture was still being ironed out and wanted to know what you guys decided upon.

I'm looking to dump my Avid Omni HD in favor of 32 channels to use along with the Burl Vancouver and pure 2, but I'm afraid to put in a preorder until there's a confirmation on how it will tackle hardware latency.

Thanks in advance.

DH
Old 6th February 2017
what about usb3 latency? do you have some informations? compared to thunderbolt?
thank you
Old 9th February 2017
any release date?
Old 10th February 2017
Sample Accuracy Update

I'm pleased to announce that Orion32HD will indeed be sample accurate with Pro Tools HD. Not only on the analog I/O, but on S/PDIF & MADI, as well. In fact, we are also working on applying our offset corrections to our Realtime FX, but this will take approximately another month. This is going to also be hugely helpful, because we are introducing our new compressor engine soon with new Vintage Models and many more instances.

Shipping ETA is about March 1.

Thanks for your patience. Here's a screen shot of our loopbacks in Pro Tools HD. It's an extreme sample level zoom, so pay no mind to the "wiggles" of the analog bounce. That's normal analog noise floor extremely low in the level.

Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm pleased to announce that Orion32HD will indeed be sample accurate with Pro Tools HD. Not only on the analog I/O, but on S/PDIF & MADI, as well. In fact, we are also working on applying our offset corrections to our Realtime FX, but this will take approximately another month. This is going to also be hugely helpful, because we are introducing our new compressor engine soon with new Vintage Models and many more instances.

Thanks for your patience. Here's a screen shot of our loopbacks in Pro Tools HD. It's an extreme sample level zoom, so pay no mind to the "wiggles" of the analog bounce. That's normal analog noise floor extremely low in the level.

Awesome news! Does this mean that when using the Orion HD with other Avid HD interfaces, all will be sample accurate? If so, you have completely won me over.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Awesome news! Does this mean that when using the Orion HD with other Avid HD interfaces, all will be sample accurate? If so, you have completely won me over.
Yes!
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes!
Consider an order placed!
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:

Game changer. I hope this thing sounds good because I'm ordering one.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Head

Great news!

What about hardware inserts in PT? I guess they're aligned too now...right?
...like parallel hardware compression is possible with no phase issues?
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabboh View Post
Great news!

What about hardware inserts in PT? I guess they're aligned too now...right?
...like parallel hardware compression is possible with no phase issues?
That is correct. The IO loop is what you're seeing a screenshot of.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
Game changer. I hope this thing sounds good because I'm ordering one.
I'm playing through it right now on my Lipinski. Absolutely "mastering grade" sonics.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
I'm playing through it right now on my Lipinski. Absolutely "mastering grade" sonics.
Them's fightin words!

I look forward to hearing it.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Them's fightin words!

I look forward to hearing it.
hahaha, very nice.

I'm very excited about this product. Can't wait to see it out there in use around the world. I've wanted to do an HD compatible unit for a long time. The timing was finally right.

And when you add in the fact you can run both HD and Logic or other Native DAW's at the same time, it's really going to make life easy for a lot of people who are composers or have laptop guys coming in. They only need to plugin via USB3 and they can play their projects/sessions through the same IO of your HD rig.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
hahaha, very nice.

I'm very excited about this product. Can't wait to see it out there in use around the world. I've wanted to do an HD compatible unit for a long time. The timing was finally right.

And when you add in the fact you can run both HD and Logic or other Native DAW's at the same time, it's really going to make life easy for a lot of people who are composers or have laptop guys coming in. They only need to plugin via USB3 and they can play their projects/sessions through the same IO of your HD rig.
And Madi.

Once Metric Halo 3D comes out it will have MADI. Finally getting large amounts of digital audio to and from interfaces will not be a big deal. With a 3D enabled MH box you could add one of these for an extra 32 channels of outputs. Great stuff.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
And Madi.

Once Metric Halo 3D comes out it will have MADI. Finally getting large amounts of digital audio to and from interfaces will not be a big deal. With a 3D enabled MH box you could add one of these for an extra 32 channels of outputs. Great stuff.
If HD isn't required, our Orion32 ($2295) and Orion32+ ($2995) both have MADI at lower price points, although the 32HD does have slightly improved sonics.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
If HD isn't required, our Orion32 ($2295) and Orion32+ ($2995) both have MADI at lower price points, although the 32HD does have slightly improved sonics.
HD is required. I've been running PT11HD for a while without Avid interfaces and have been waiting to jump back in when someone got the interface latency correct.

Metric Halo might get there eventually, but who knows. With Madi and your digilink setup I don't have to ditch those boxes and can have PT compatibility now, AND get a bunch of inputs and outputs.

YAY.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear
Wink

Totally Awesome news !!!!!
Old 10th February 2017
Here for the gear
Nice job Antelope. This is looking like to be the best current solution for my second mix room. Great to see another company who gets it. Nice call on using USB 3.0 - allows older laptops/mac pros to connect plus it should easily work with future USB C and thunderbolt adapter connections. Generally converters are horrible investments (compared to mics, outboard, monitors, etc...), the Orion 32 HD looks like it provides high value (accurately reflects 2017 converter/tech costs). The business man in me is happy. I'm sold. Keep up the good work!
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

Really nice to see a company listen to people about what they want. Im sure this won you over more customers. Im kinda sad because i was really not wanting to buy a converter yet but this is almost too good to pass up now. Damn you Antelope!!!!!
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Yes!
Excellent.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Maniac

This is great news Marcel!! I love it when developers listen to the feedback

Is it going to be sample accurate with both USB and HDX connection?
Old 11th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rythm'BackStudio View Post
This is great news Marcel!! I love it when developers listen to the feedback

Is it going to be sample accurate with both USB and HDX connection?
USB is already sample accurate on our interfaces, because this is done with the driver and reporting tables. With HD and HDX, it's different because the stream has to arrive when Pro Tools expects it to be place properly.

I'm calling this BADASS - Buffered Audio Delivering Accurate Sample Streaming
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search