The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Running on Sierra with HDX via digilink without issues.
I have also connected it via USB3 for playback of youtube/spotify/itunes etc.. but I have no experience with using it with any DAW via USB.

I don‘t use the FPGA nor the mixer, so can‘t comment on that.
Old 18th March 2019
In USB3 with pro tools native on windows 10, it doesn't work. Too much troubles, no customer service.
Avoid this product and all Antelope soundcards, these are not pro, keep your money.
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicsounds View Post
Yes. I have mine running fine through HDX with full functionality.
Is that with the Digilink & the USB 3? Do you need both digi links connected?

Does it play nice with daisy chaining with legit HDX converters?
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post

I’m not sure what your issue is. I’m not running in conjunction with HDX converters. As a matter of fact I’m only using USB 2 as that’s all you need for the control. I ditched my 50 lbs of hardware and fans after I confirmed operation with my Digilink. Curious what your concerns are though?
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:

1 Digilink per 32 channels in and out.
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:
I’m not sure what your issue is. I’m not running in conjunction with HDX converters. As a matter of fact I’m only using USB 2 as that’s all you need for the control. I ditched my 50 lbs of hardware and fans after I confirmed operation with my Digilink. Curious what your concerns are though?

Seems like you got lucky. I had no joy with USB 2 or Digilinks. Weird thing is I picked up a basic Orion and it gave me 32 channels via USB 2 and no Digilinks.

I've heard so many conflicting stories. Even from the staff that it wouldn't work with PT Ultimate.
Old 18th March 2019
Quote:
Seems like you got lucky. I had no joy with USB 2 or Digilinks. Weird thing is I picked up a basic Orion and it gave me 32 channels via USB 2 and no Digilinks.

I've heard so many conflicting stories. Even from the staff that it wouldn't work with PT Ultimate.
Im running Ultimate on a 2010 Mac Pro desktop if that helps. What is the exact issue you’re having?
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Addict
I've had Orion 32 and now HD, but i use it with ableton and other daws. Regardless of some other people's opinions, they are to me rock solid and very high end soundcards.
Old 19th March 2019
Quote:
Im running Ultimate on a 2010 Mac Pro desktop if that helps. What is the exact issue you’re having?
I just couldn't get HD running even with hours of tech support. So I downgraded to the old model and it worked - 32 channels with a standard USB cable and a small drop in quality.

So I picked up a Pure 2 also which sounds great and has the same chip as the Qes Pad 2. I was surprised at how good that sounded, very detailed.

I also have Prisms and Burls so I'm not wanting. I just expected 32 channels of HD for £2000. Which never happened.
Old 24th March 2019
Quote:
Are you only running 32 channels of HD or 32 plus extra auxiliary channels?
Old 25th March 2019
Quote:
Are you only running 32 channels of HD or 32 plus extra auxiliary channels?
I'm running 32 HD only replacing 2 192s.
Old 25th March 2019
Quote:
I'm running 32 HD only replacing 2 192s.
Okay thanks. I wanted to run a mixture of converters with different amounts of channels. That might be why.

Last edited by Paul_G; 29th March 2019 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: auto non correct
Old 29th March 2019
Interesting the 3rd generation has been rushed to market?
Old 31st March 2019
Yes! I think it's the working version of the ORION HD.
We have been beta testers with the orion HD, a shame.
A pro company would do a trade with our non perfect working orion HD for this new GEN3 version.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict
Ok, i feel sad for you guys / gals that have problem with your interfaces. And my own journey has not been free from trouble, but now it´s working great.
But i want to chime in that in general Antelope interfaces are great, i am on my third one now so..
If you don´t like it, return it or sell it and buy another one.
Where i bought mine i have the opportunity to return it if i´m not satisfied (if it´s without damage of course) withing a given time period. Only use stores that lets you try out the really expensive stuff before you buy.

Unsubscribing this thread now, since i´m quite tired of just reading about complaints from some people. My life is tricky enough, i don´t need those bad vibes too.

Bye!
Old 22nd September 2019
Just chiming in regarding a couple of serious issues we've been having since purchasing our brand new Antelope Orion 32 HD audio interface.
Let me put this clear. The interface sounds awsome.

Windows 10, I9, USB 3.0, Pro Tools.

- Since day one (a week ago) the launcher that controls the control panel has behaved in a flimsy way to say the least. Crashing and asking to download a firmware version (1.51) much older than the one we're using (1.6.4 if I'm not wrong). The only way we found to solve this issue is to unplug the unit from the power source.
This crashing issue could happen at anytime.
- The second problem we have been having is that it doesn't sync with our pro tools' requested sample rate. It stays fixed at a sample rate of 48k.
Today a client spent a whole afternoon recording on a PT 44100 sample rate session, perfect audio and stability only to see the interface was showing 48 on its display!! (we moved on recording at 48 but this issue is totally unacceptable on an interface of such quality and reputation).

We have already had two phone support sessions with Vasil and Coco (did golden boot and took remote control of our computer). Coco said the problem had been addressed and solved. The next day the same issues reappeared so we called again and spoke with Vasil who copied the log folder and said he would check with Coco and call me the next day and send me a ticket to our email. We received no ticket number and he never called me back.

We spent our hard earned money on this product. A few years ago I was a happy user of a previous model of Orion and totally recommended my new partners to go Orion and now I'm having this nightmare. Not fair at all.
Old 3 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Maniac

im in the market for an new Interface. I have a offer for an Orion 32 HD. I want to use it via USB 3.0 with ableton and sometimes with pro tools.

But after reading a few bad comments about the Orion im not sure if i should buy this or not. Are there problems with this unit via USB 3.0?

Are the problems still there or were they been fixed by an Software update? Driver update?
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
im in the market for an new Interface. I have a offer for an Orion 32 HD. I want to use it via USB 3.0 with ableton and sometimes with pro tools.

But after reading a few bad comments about the Orion im not sure if i should buy this or not. Are there problems with this unit via USB 3.0?

Are the problems still there or were they been fixed by an Software update? Driver update?
Hi!

We always do fix issues after they are reported to us, our developers do our best to recreate and fix them as soon as possible. The Orion 32 HD is a very mature product that has been on the market for almost 3 years now.

I would personally advice you to do a demo session with the unit if you are able to, so you can make an opinion yourself.

Since we are able transfer a lot of channels via USB 3 (even up to 192kHz) with interfaces like the Orion 32 HD and Goliath HD, using USB hubs, extenders or longer cables might cause issues when transferring all of that data, so you should consider that the interface will be using up to 90% of the total USB bandwidth, so if you have other USB hungry devices, I would advise you to get another USB 3 PCI-E card to get more bandwidth available.

If you have any questions for us - please feel free to reply or message me directly!
Old 3 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!

We always do fix issues after they are reported to us, our developers do our best to recreate and fix them as soon as possible. The Orion 32 HD is a very mature product that has been on the market for almost 3 years now.

I would personally advice you to do a demo session with the unit if you are able to, so you can make an opinion yourself.

Since we are able transfer a lot of channels via USB 3 (even up to 192kHz) with interfaces like the Orion 32 HD and Goliath HD, using USB hubs, extenders or longer cables might cause issues when transferring all of that data, so you should consider that the interface will be using up to 90% of the total USB bandwidth, so if you have other USB hungry devices, I would advise you to get another USB 3 PCI-E card to get more bandwidth available.

If you have any questions for us - please feel free to reply or message me directly!
Thank you for your answers.

I was unsure what to do and which interface to buy. But i think i will give the Orion 32 HD a chance and will buy it. And hope it will work.

If there are any questions i will contact you.
Old 3 weeks ago
don't buy it, unless you use for instance a MADI interface (add 1500€). In USB3 it doesn't work on windows 10, even with a pro USB3 PCI-e card (I bought one). Be carefull with Antelope, they lie all of us. If you see many Antelope interface for sale and a lot of very negative comments, it's not for free. It doesn't work trust me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Really? Then why don't we have stable Thunderbolt capability on ASrock and other Motherboards yet over a year after many many many of us informed you about it? Why don't we have AFX2DAW on Windows 10 machines yet? Shall I continue?

Quote:
Hi!

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Beware man, These guys will tell you anything to get your money and ignore you when you're down! If you count on your studio to earn a living you'd be better off choosing a different path! But if you feel brave, Gigabyte MB's seem to be the only ones that are reasonably stable, when you have issues they will blame the problems on your machine and they never admit, take or accept responsibility for anything! Sorry to be a downer but do research into this company before spending 3K on one of their products!

Quote:
Thank you for your answers.

I was unsure what to do and which interface to buy. But i think i will give the Orion 32 HD a chance and will buy it. And hope it will work.

If there are any questions i will contact you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
We always do fix issues after they are reported to us, our developers do our best to recreate and fix them as soon as possible.
Not in my experience. It took over a year and a half of me going back and forth with Antelope, documenting, calling, emailing, to finally resolve the major issues present with AES/EBU on the Goliath/Goliath HD.

I went through 5 RMA units to test, and put up with more than my share of BS from a couple of Antelope guys along the way (also dealt with a couple of very helpful people there). During that period, I had a hard time convincing anyone at Antelope that there were fundamental issues with AES/EBU, and instead was eventually told that the problem was with Bricasti, in spite of my clear evidence proving that was not the case!

Fortunately, it was finally resolved when the AES/EBU protocol for the Goliath/HD was “completely rewritten” (as I was finally told).

It wasn’t quick, and far from a painless experience.

Here’s another example. OSX bug, Satori:

I first reported this over two years ago. When I again asked in a support chat when you guys were going to fix it, the response I got was “ASAP!!” That was over a year ago now.

If Antelope can’t fix the small obvious things that are staring you in the face in a timely manner, then how is any potential customer supposed to trust Antelope to fix more complex issues when they arise?

Last edited by Squawk; 2 weeks ago at 08:51 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi!

How Do you respond to these other guys here in the thread.

These Interfaces cost big money, and these issues are not OK.

Everyhting that have read so far is about software problems, why is it so difficult for you guys to sort this problems? RME does its homework, actually i use a multiface 2 and they still do updates to their drivers, the interface is more then 15 years old....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
RME does its homework, actually i use a multiface 2 and they still do updates to their drivers, the interface is more then 15 years old....
I use the RME MADIfaceXT as my interface connected to the computer. Two MADI ports connected to the GoliathHD, the third to a Burl Mothership. Very solid setup.

I’ve never tried my Goliath as the primary interface via USB or Thunderbolt. When I purchased it, I had read about some issues with the original Orion drivers, so I decided to go with RME as the primary audio interface.

(If I get a new Mac Pro, I’ll switch to Thunderbolt on the Goliath and give it a go.)
Old 2 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Maniac

As i already ordered the antelope orion 32+ gen3. I will report when the Interface is here. Maybe tomorrow....
I will hope for the best. As the 32 Channels in this conversion quality for this price is hard to beat. if it will not work out, i will send it back....
Old 2 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Maybe the great price has an unfavorable reason......
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
As i already ordered the antelope orion 32+ gen3. I will report when the Interface is here. Maybe tomorrow....
I will hope for the best. As the 32 Channels in this conversion quality for this price is hard to beat. if it will not work out, i will send it back....
It will likely work pretty well on a USB 2 port, this is the only thing that has saved these guys, if you're on Mac You'll likely be better off than a PC, they're Mac snobs for reasons I don't get, The Apple of today is bad news.. Heaven forbid that their products (AA) just work as advertised, promoted and sold!
Old 2 weeks ago
BHW
Gear Maniac

today i got my orion 32+ gen3. this was previously at a other customer, so it was already registered. i could not register the Orion, i had to contact the support. i tried via email, via live chat and via phone.

after trying to reach to them for about 1,5 hours i got a guy on the phone who deregistered the unit for me. i installed and registered the Orion and everything is ok so far. i could only check the playback and the monitor outs. and this works fine for now. no problem here. and my pc is pretty old 4-5 years at least.

so far im ok, with the support and im happy about the orion, it sounds great. i will know how good it is, when im done with cabling and when i can use my gear with it, so i can test the ad and da.

for me till now, if nothing bad happens when everything is running, i can only recommend antelope and the orion 32+ gen3.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

HTML Code:
 i could only check the playback and the monitor outs. and this works fine for now. no problem here. and my pc is pretty old 4-5 years at least.
Your journey hasn't even begun yet I hope it all works out for you
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search