The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 12th June 2018
  #511
Lives for gear
 
drxcm's Avatar
 

I'm considering an Antelope 32 HD or 32+ but this thread has me doubting it's a good choice.
I'll stick with my RME for now..
Old 21st June 2018
  #512
Gear Maniac
 
Rythm'BackStudio's Avatar
 

+1 I was about to go the 32HD route, but this, and other threads is telling me NOT to..

Weird responses from Antelope btw..

If the "rumours" are true, then I am afraid that Antelope is in over their head, and lost track of what is number 1 - stability! We don't care about your new plugins, make this work as advertised, AND THEN you can do add-ons.

That's my point of view anyway.

Going to test it for myself at some point.
Old 22nd June 2018
  #513
That’s our point of vue.
As a owner I don’t use their fgpa plugs. I’ve good softube/izotope plugs for that.
Orion 32 hd convertors and clock are good, no doubt about it, but **** as a real «soundcard» and not only convertors it’s not allright, you don’t «forget» it. You open your orion software after you power on your orion32hd, once in three you have to power back your unit.
Also Latency... one guy of antelope team says me orion 32hd has 64 i/o so there are to much i/o to have a good latency. All conclusions say me Antelope has experiences making good convertors and clock but not entire soundcard.
Please Antelope team say us we are wrong, and put an ultimate ****ing update!
Old 24th June 2018
  #514
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
That’s our point of vue.
As a owner I don’t use their fgpa plugs. I’ve good softube/izotope plugs for that.
Orion 32 hd convertors and clock are good, no doubt about it, but **** as a real «soundcard» and not only convertors it’s not allright, you don’t «forget» it. You open your orion software after you power on your orion32hd, once in three you have to power back your unit.
Also Latency... one guy of antelope team says me orion 32hd has 64 i/o so there are to much i/o to have a good latency. All conclusions say me Antelope has experiences making good convertors and clock but not entire soundcard.
Please Antelope team say us we are wrong, and put an ultimate ****ing update!
Make sure to try the FPGA plugins:

Antelope Audio's plugins are crafted specifically with 3 things in mind:

1. Great Sound
2. Accurate representation.
3. Real-time, ultra-low latency + processing power.

We have now over 22 devices in our portfolio.
Most of them are frequently updated and we can assure you, we are listening to every reasonable customer request.

We are announcing all our major updates, so if you have subscribed to receive our emails you won't miss them.

You have a private MSG with my contacts.

Best,
Lyubomir

Product Manager
Antelope Audio
Old 27th June 2018
  #515
Gear Maniac
 

Instead of addressing the problems reported you’re just pushing your plugins.

Makes sense.
Old 9th July 2018
  #516
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyubomir View Post

1. Great Sound
2. Accurate representation.
3. Real-time, ultra-low latency + processing power.

We have now over 22 devices in our portfolio.

Best,
Lyubomir

Product Manager
Antelope Audio
Bla bla bla bla bla. Ok, what's next?
Old 21st July 2018
  #517
Gear Maniac
 

So what’s the latest?

Are Antelope still refusing to acknowledge the issues so many people seem to be having?
Old 21st July 2018
  #518
Lives for gear
We purchased an Orion Studio HD for a mobile rig several months ago, and after an initial rocky start it's been smooth sailing. Have been clocking to a Gimm CC2 @ 96kHz and it sounds great. At some point we'll be comparing the 10MX vs. Grimm clocks but we have little to complain about, frankly. I believe the guitar cabs might still sound crackly but the plugs are secondary for us. What we need is stable, trouble-free conversion and that's what we've had for several months now.
Old 26th July 2018
  #519
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rami Hashash View Post
So what’s the latest?

Are Antelope still refusing to acknowledge the issues so many people seem to be having?
Hello Rami,

Do you have any persisting issues with your O32HD?
Let me know if you have any on PM and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 29th July 2018
  #520
Gear Maniac
Orion

Sounds great, what have you used before? I’m interested in hearing your feedback on the difference between this and the Aurora n.
I’m about to upgrade my Apollo twin and like the Aurora n, Orion studio Rev and fox red 4pre. Can you describe your experience with the da and ad of the Orion? How much better does your clocking make it? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
We purchased an Orion Studio HD for a mobile rig several months ago, and after an initial rocky start it's been smooth sailing. Have been clocking to a Gimm CC2 @ 96kHz and it sounds great. At some point we'll be comparing the 10MX vs. Grimm clocks but we have little to complain about, frankly. I believe the guitar cabs might still sound crackly but the plugs are secondary for us. What we need is stable, trouble-free conversion and that's what we've had for several months now.
Old 29th July 2018
  #521
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicminister187 View Post
Sounds great, what have you used before? I’m interested in hearing your feedback on the difference between this and the Aurora n.
I’m about to upgrade my Apollo twin and like the Aurora n, Orion studio Rev and fox red 4pre. Can you describe your experience with the da and ad of the Orion? How much better does your clocking make it? Thanks.
We have 3 x Aurora 16 in the studio. Haven't had the chance to compare vs the new (n) series but the new Auroras have no reason not to sound stellar if one goes by their previous products. For the last few months we've been working with the Orion Studio HD, clocked to a Grimm CC2. The Grimm made a noticeable difference with the Orion and I suspect it'll do the same with the Auroras (read somewhere in GS that someone is very happy with his old Auroras and Grimm clock).

Sorry for not being to be of any help with the Aurora (n) series, but we haven't had a chance to hear them. Bottom line though, very happy so far with the Orion Studio HD and Grimm clock combo. Cheers!
Old 29th July 2018
  #522
Gear Maniac
Ok thank you. How is the sound of the Studio HD compared to the Old Auroras? Which has the better AD and DA in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
We have 3 x Aurora 16 in the studio. Haven't had the chance to compare vs the new (n) series but the new Auroras have no reason not to sound stellar if one goes by their previous products. For the last few months we've been working with the Orion Studio HD, clocked to a Grimm CC2. The Grimm made a noticeable difference with the Orion and I suspect it'll do the same with the Auroras (read somewhere in GS that someone is very happy with his old Auroras and Grimm clock).

Sorry for not being to be of any help with the Aurora (n) series, but we haven't had a chance to hear them. Bottom line though, very happy so far with the Orion Studio HD and Grimm clock combo. Cheers!
Old 29th July 2018
  #523
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicminister187 View Post
Ok thank you. How is the sound of the Studio HD compared to the Old Auroras? Which has the better AD and DA in your opinion?
We haven't had the time to compare them, sorry bro but i'll say the Auroras were quite faithful to the original source. The way we did our 'recalls', was re-recording every track with fader moves, panning and inserts (digital or analog) to a new track at unity. We literally could not tell the difference when A/B ing both versions of a mix before breaking down, and we had a good amount of analog hardware inserted (480L, Bricasti, AMS verb, AMS DMX, other verbs and tons of compressors, etc.)

Have not tested Orion Studio in that light yet. When we do shootout the two converters and two different clocks i'll comment, but we haven't done a direct comparison yet, sorry.

The Antelope, clocked to the Grimm though, does sound 'effortless' and 'liquid' and the stereo image is quite focused, compared to the Apollo Twin MKII QUAD we also have, which sounds a little more aggressive and 'in your face', but it doesn't have a clock input, so no way to compare with external clocking. We do prefer the sound of the Orion + Grimm to the Apollo, i have to say that, but the Apollo costs quite a big chunk less, so not a fair comparison.

Now that i've mentioned UAD, i'll say their hardware and plugins have never crashed and simply work. Not one hiccup in all the time we've used them. Universal Audio is a very professional outfit. I can't say enough good things about that company.

When we do compare the Orion Studio HD and Aurora 16s with Grimm and 10MX clocks, i will comment but meantime, sorry for not being of much help with your specific question.

Last edited by raal; 29th July 2018 at 07:17 PM..
Old 2nd August 2018
  #524
Gear Addict
Hi guys,

can anyone point me to a guide or tutorial on how to connect external effects, or have any hints on how to route? I have a Analog Heat that i want to use on as many channels as possible.
Any pros / cons when using external effects? What about latency, troublesome?

Thanks!
Old 3rd August 2018
  #525
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Hi guys,

can anyone point me to a guide or tutorial on how to connect external effects, or have any hints on how to route? I have a Analog Heat that i want to use on as many channels as possible.
Any pros / cons when using external effects? What about latency, troublesome?

Thanks!
For Analog Heat you will need D-Sub 25 ( Tascam Standart) to TRS Cable. Unfortunately you will need two of those.
Its is kinda strainght forward, you need to connect the D-Sub/TRS outs to Analog heat and D-Sub/TRS ins to Analog Heat Outs.
Than in your routing you need to Drag and drop the relevant inputs to your USB REC in order to record this signal in your DAW.

Alex
Old 3rd August 2018
  #526
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
For Analog Heat you will need D-Sub 25 ( Tascam Standart) to TRS Cable. Unfortunately you will need two of those.
Its is kinda strainght forward, you need to connect the D-Sub/TRS outs to Analog heat and D-Sub/TRS ins to Analog Heat Outs.
Than in your routing you need to Drag and drop the relevant inputs to your USB REC in order to record this signal in your DAW.

Alex
Hey Alex, thanks for your reply.
I´m set with d-sub cables since i already have a patchbay connected so no worries there. Not worried with the connections, just fresh to anything but the most basic routing at the moment. But i will give it a try from your description.
Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2018
  #527
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Hey Alex, thanks for your reply.
I´m set with d-sub cables since i already have a patchbay connected so no worries there. Not worried with the connections, just fresh to anything but the most basic routing at the moment. But i will give it a try from your description.
Cheers!
Maybe you can give us a little bit more info what would you like to achieve,record,convert etc so we can help you with the routing.

Alex
Old 3rd August 2018
  #528
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Maybe you can give us a little bit more info what would you like to achieve,record,convert etc so we can help you with the routing.

Alex
That would be great!
I´m only trying to figure out how/if it´s possible to use the Heat as a traditional send/return effect in the Orion mixing "console", to add different amounts of saturation/distortion per channel, just as i would do if i used a classic mixing console.

I have a few synths and drum machines that really beg for the Heat, ok it´s always possible to record each output separately through the heat but that takes too much time, and i lose contact with the full track.

The routing system is awesome, just haven´t had time or reason to fiddle around with it so much so it´s a little bit overwhelming. I get the concepts, i think, but can´t really wrap my head around this.
I´m sure it´s very simple when you´ve done it the first time, so if you have any ideas or pointers i would very much appreciate it. Thanks for taking your time.
Old 3rd August 2018
  #529
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
That would be great!
I´m only trying to figure out how/if it´s possible to use the Heat as a traditional send/return effect in the Orion mixing "console", to add different amounts of saturation/distortion per channel, just as i would do if i used a classic mixing console.

I have a few synths and drum machines that really beg for the Heat, ok it´s always possible to record each output separately through the heat but that takes too much time, and i lose contact with the full track.

The routing system is awesome, just haven´t had time or reason to fiddle around with it so much so it´s a little bit overwhelming. I get the concepts, i think, but can´t really wrap my head around this.
I´m sure it´s very simple when you´ve done it the first time, so if you have any ideas or pointers i would very much appreciate it. Thanks for taking your time.
Hey defdeft,
and do you want Analog Heat to work as an external FX in your DAW. How your DAW is integrated in your workflow? Do you use it, do you want to combine 3rd party VSTs, or you are just an Analog guy and DAW is out of your scenario.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 4th August 2018
  #530
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hey defdeft,
and do you want Analog Heat to work as an external FX in your DAW. How your DAW is integrated in your workflow? Do you use it, do you want to combine 3rd party VSTs, or you are just an Analog guy and DAW is out of your scenario.

Thanks,
Alex
Hey Alex,

at the moment i´m an "analog guy" as you put it, most of my work is done OTB using Deluge as sequencer, so i´m not using my DAW so much at the moment. But it´s not out of the scenario, as i´m planning to record into ableton or perhaps Maschine, and work with individual audio tracks further in the mix.

Right now my wish is mainly to be able to use Heat together with the internal antelope mixing console, as a "normal" effect using send/return or similar. To be able to use together with the FPGA effects with as little hassle as possible. More concerned with getting things done and recorded right now and i will worry with the smaller details later, if ever.

As i wrote before, i can always as a last option fall back and record each individual track with Heat but it would be nice to be able to record them all with FX in one or a few goes.

Later, it would be nice but not absolutely necessary, to use Heat the same way inside my DAW. I´m willing to try Overbridge again but tbh all i got the last time was noise and crackling from it so i think i will skip that part. But besides o-bridge i will probably use a few VSTs in the DAW aswell, when i get there. But this is not my focus at the moment so you might aswell skip that part.
Old 7th August 2018
  #531
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Hey Alex,

at the moment i´m an "analog guy" as you put it, most of my work is done OTB using Deluge as sequencer, so i´m not using my DAW so much at the moment. But it´s not out of the scenario, as i´m planning to record into ableton or perhaps Maschine, and work with individual audio tracks further in the mix.

Right now my wish is mainly to be able to use Heat together with the internal antelope mixing console, as a "normal" effect using send/return or similar. To be able to use together with the FPGA effects with as little hassle as possible. More concerned with getting things done and recorded right now and i will worry with the smaller details later, if ever.

As i wrote before, i can always as a last option fall back and record each individual track with Heat but it would be nice to be able to record them all with FX in one or a few goes.

Later, it would be nice but not absolutely necessary, to use Heat the same way inside my DAW. I´m willing to try Overbridge again but tbh all i got the last time was noise and crackling from it so i think i will skip that part. But besides o-bridge i will probably use a few VSTs in the DAW aswell, when i get there. But this is not my focus at the moment so you might aswell skip that part.
Hey dafdaf,

So what would I do in your situation is to route all of your Analog inputs to internal mixer 1 for example, then route the internal mixer 1 out to your AFX chain and your AFX output to your USB/TB Rec if you want to record this. In the same time you can rout your EFX outputs to your Analog outs. In this scenario you can both record, process or output the signal

Alex
Old 7th August 2018
  #532
Gear Nut
 

Ok, re AFX its clear how it goes, but using outboard gear as sends on various input sources in the mixer is another story. I am also in the same predicament as defdaft and have never used interface like this so im not sure how sends with outboard should work here. Can you elaborate..

Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hey dafdaf,

So what would I do in your situation is to route all of your Analog inputs to internal mixer 1 for example, then route the internal mixer 1 out to your AFX chain and your AFX output to your USB/TB Rec if you want to record this. In the same time you can rout your EFX outputs to your Analog outs. In this scenario you can both record, process or output the signal

Alex
Old 11th August 2018
  #533
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hey dafdaf,

So what would I do in your situation is to route all of your Analog inputs to internal mixer 1 for example, then route the internal mixer 1 out to your AFX chain and your AFX output to your USB/TB Rec if you want to record this. In the same time you can rout your EFX outputs to your Analog outs. In this scenario you can both record, process or output the signal

Alex
Hi Alex, i will try it out as soon as i can. Many thanks for your help!

Sunnyboy, i´ll let you know of my findings - just don´t hold your breath since i´m swamped at the moment and don´t have so much studio time available. But i will get back to you.

//Marcus
Old 21st September 2018
  #534
Gear Maniac
Dear Orion32HD Owner,

Major Orion32 HD update released today

It’s update time for the Orion32 HD audio interface by Antelope Audio. After installing the unit will be migrated to the unified Antelope Audio Launcher for smoother and refined user. The release also contains several improvements of session saving, AFX loading stereo linking and a USB 3.0 bug fix.

Antelope Audio would like to remind all Orion32 HD users that keeping their unit updated is highly advised for optimum device stability and user experience. In case of any further questions feel free to approach the Antelope Audio tech support crew.

For complete migration and installation guide, please navigate to the following link.

Alex
Old 23rd September 2018
  #535
Gear Addict
Alex,
new installer works great, i have yet to find time to try out the goodies though, but thanks anyway!
Old 23rd September 2018
  #536
Yes a big update I hoped it resolved dB-meter latency, and more mixers... but no
Old 24th September 2018
  #537
The update is good news. I heard the Antelope converters and love the sound, but was concerned about the buggy issues and was leaning towards the new UA 16 converters. However I may start looking at the Antelope again which also has improved customer service compared to a couple years ago.
Old 4th October 2018
  #538
Gear Nut
Any word from users on the updates firmware improvements over the last? Are the stability issues fully or somewhat resolved?
Old 4th October 2018
  #539
Gear Addict
My unit is a lot more stable indeed, i haven´t had any issue at all with the new firmware. For my uses, it´s rock solid at the moment. Installation went fine and it was a lot easier this time around, earlier i had to re-install a few times until it worked 100%.
Very stable. Of course, i´m not using pro tools so i can´t speak for anyone with any issues there, but for me, just normal use with the mixer and fx, it works great and sounds fantastic.
Old 8th October 2018
  #540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhatemenow View Post
Any word from users on the updates firmware improvements over the last? Are the stability issues fully or somewhat resolved?
they have a big issue with new activation system at startup, orion 32HD doesn't remember activation because of hardware issue, we have to send it to a "local" technician support and they don't pay postal charges. Catastrophic customer service.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump