The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
It seems that my Orion doesn't remember which HD I/O it emulates. After every shutdown it's set to HD MADI. It doesn't get saved in the presets either.
True!
And someone at Antelope told me to set it to HD IO and reboot the system before starting Pro tools.

Well... Kind of hard.

Hope that someone can adress this issue properly soon.
Old 20th February 2018
Quote:
It seems that my Orion doesn't remember which HD I/O it emulates. After every shutdown it's set to HD MADI. It doesn't get saved in the presets either.
I also saw this and reported it this week already. it will be fixed soon.

Thank you!

Marcel
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

Hi Marcel,

I wondered if there were any plans for a USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 version of the Orion 32HD? I'm looking at upgrading computer hardware as well as an interface and would not like to go down the route of adapters etc. if possible. We're also seeing the first USB-C audio interfaces starting to come to market e.g. Focusrite - just wondered what Antelope's take on it was?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hbadger30; 19th March 2018 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Missed out a word
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need to connect the Orion 32HD to my Mac Pro in the machine room ~15m away.

Does anybody has experience with active USB 3 extenders, such as the Lindy one? USB 3.0 Active Extension 15m - USB Extension USB & Thunderbolt & FireWire - LINDY International Limited

I plan to power it externally and put a USB 3 powered hub at the end to which the Orion will be connected.

Will this work ?
I can confirm now, that the Lindy USB extender cable works even without power supply or a powered USB 3 hub before the Orion.

There is one annoying issue with the setup when using the Orion with my HDX card. I would set the clock source to "HDX" in the control panel and Pro Tools runs fine.
When I'm not using PT, I use the Orion in USB mode by selecting the device in the system settings of my mac. This way I can listen to youtube/spotify/finder etc. via the monitor outs of the orion. No problems at all.

The problem occurs if I'm running PT via HDX and there is a sound playing via USB (can be a system pling sound or something else running in the background). If the sample rates of my PT project and the sample rate set in the Audio-Midi Setup don't match, there is either a clocking error in PT (-9093) or the PT playback will switch to the wrong SR without Error.
To avoid this, I have to either manually set the same sample rate in Audio Midi Setup to the PT sample rate every time before opening a PT projects with a different SR or choose a different device for mac playback while using PT.

Is there a solution for this ?
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict
Hey y´all,

just want to shout

YEAH!

The last update i installed (the one from early february, i know i know, haven´t got around until just recently since i´ve been busy with becoming a dad and all, so no time for music) really blew my mind!

Love the impressor and the bug fixes and other updates has done a lot for the overall experience of the interface. It really makes me smile each time i switch it on and go to work with my next big hit.

Keep it up, more of the good stuff please. Well done!
Old 14th March 2018
since last update, my launcher doesn't open last session... I have to load it manually, I didn't have this issue before.

Another issue, why meters have so much latency????? My unit is configured in 128samples buffer size but my meters seem to show 4000 samples ... big latency. Obviously same in Pro tools which is after my orion panel.
(I had more responsive meters with my RME (1000€) with same buffer size in usb2)
Old 25th March 2018
Here for the gear

any news on an update to sort the switching back to MADI mode every launch? Not an ideal situation at the moment...
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
Nope,

Did exactly like Claybourne said. Still have to compensate manually in PT to get it in phase perfectly.
Now I have to compensate the Orion 32HD interface 0.01ms in Pro Tools.
Doesn't sound like much with 0.01ms...right?
But doing something to a vocal in parallel and that slight difference totally messes up the high end.

Avid HD IO handles this perfectly.
Check this image from Pro tools
Dropbox - Orion 32HD v2.png
Tracks:
1. Sine tone feeding to tracks 2 and 3.
2. HW insert loop straight from out to input on Avid HD IO.
3. HW insert loop straight from out to input on Orion HD32.
The rest of the tracks have ".cm" in their name and a committed bounced of the hardware inserts.
Comments field explain the procedure that have been bounced with.
Blue is Avid HD IO bounced. And aligns perfectly.
The two purple are Orion HD IO with both settings I have heard from Antelopes official"support" and Clybourne. Not aligning well!
The green track at the bottom is the one I´ve had to manually "H/W insert delay"compensate in the IO settings dialog.

I´m not having good luck with Antelope support. Except the responses from Claybourne here on Gearslutz.
I´d really hope to get in contact with someone really good at this from Antelope directly instead thru a forum.
Having to go thru a forum with a issue like this doesn't´t feel like a"pro support" to me.
I´ve wasted so much time on this issue. So not I´m not sure the money I saved of getting a Orion instead of a HD IO was very wise...

Would not recommend this setup until this is 100% solved.
I´ve had similar setups with HD IOs and a Lynx Aurora with 0% issues.

Stefan
Stefan, are you running HD Native or HDX? Looked at your previous posts and couldn't find a reference. I just purchased an Orion Studio HD for remote work and seriously thinking about an Orion 32HD for the studio (have 3 x Aurora 16s now). We're on PT TDM but may be upgrading to HDX.

Meantime, might a work-around be to patch, say a hardware compressor on vox and 'blind' patch the parallel track as well? You'd lose one I/O but the phase issue would be corrected, no? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by raal; 3rd May 2018 at 09:03 PM..
Old 6th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
Stefan, are you running HD Native or HDX? Looked at your previous posts and couldn't find a reference. I just purchased an Orion Studio HD for remote work and seriously thinking about an Orion 32HD for the studio (have 3 x Aurora 16s now), but after your comment i'm balking. We're on PT TDM but will be upgrading to HD Native or HDX shortly, and plan to run tests with both HD Native and HDX cards during the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.

Meantime, might a work-around be to patch, say a hardware compressor on vox and 'blind' patch the parallel track as well? You'd lose one I/O but the phase issue would be corrected, no? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hi,
I’m on the HDX platform.
I used to have a Lynx before. Never caused anything like this.
Unfortunately Antelope is not really active on my case. It’s been about three weeks since the last mail from them.
Suspect it’s a cold case for them.

So I think caution is valid until this is solved.

Not sure I understand your patch idea.
Please elaborate.
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not sure I understand your patch idea.
Please elaborate.
Say you want to HW insert an 1176 in parallel on a vocal:

1) Duplicate the vocal track in your DAW.
2) Patch a hardware 1176 into the original vocal track.
3) On the duplicate track, physically patch through the I/O as well, without using any hardware. The round trip of the original and duplicate tracks should be the same.
4) Mix both tracks to taste in the DAW.

You lose one physical I/O in the process but phase coherency is maintained.

Last edited by raal; 18th April 2018 at 08:10 PM..
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
Thank you for your reply. Say you want to HW insert an 1176 in parallel on a vocal:

1) Duplicate the vocal track in your DAW.
2) Patch a hardware 1176 into the original vocal track.
3) On the duplicate track, physically patch through the I/O as well, without using any hardware. The round trip of the original and duplicate tracks should be the same.
4) Mix both tracks to taste in the DAW.

You lose one physical I/O in the process, but the round trip and phase coherency of both tracks should be the same.
Oh I get it. Good idea!
But going DA-AD in vain just to get things in sync and also getting messy sessions with doubles.
Would much rather just that Antelope would get their product up to specs.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Oh I get it. Good idea!
But going DA-AD in vain just to get things in sync and also getting messy sessions with doubles.
Would much rather just that Antelope would get their product up to specs.
Hello Stefan,

When you are doing the test with O32HD set as an insert in PT, do you have any Hardware units on this Insert/aux chain?

Alex
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello Stefan,

When you are doing the test with O32HD set as an insert in PT, do you have any Hardware units on this Insert/aux chain?

Alex
The tests was with no hardware. Just a short patch cable.
Antelope suggested the latency I hear is due to analog cables...
Informed them that analog signals moves close to the speed of light.
Surely there is SOME latency added by that 2 foot cable. But you’d need some pretty advanced lab equipment to measure it ;-)
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The tests was with no hardware. Just a short patch cable.
Antelope suggested the latency I hear is due to analog cables...
Informed them that analog signals moves close to the speed of light.
Surely there is SOME latency added by that 2 foot cable. But you’d need some pretty advanced lab equipment to measure it ;-)
True. And do you have any hardware patchbay when you are performing the test?
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
True. And do you have any hardware patchbay when you are performing the test?
Yes a hardware patchbay.
But all the interfaces are straight above the patch.
So minimal length.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yes a hardware patchbay.
But all the interfaces are straight above the patch.
So minimal length.
So for how many samples difference we are talking here?
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
So for how many samples difference we are talking here?
I think it’s only one sample. Possibly two.
Which sounds very little. But quite audible on a vocal when something is in parallel.
Also annoying cause Orion is maxed out compensating in 96k.
In 44-48 it’s possible to find the sweet spot.

Antelope also says that we should set the Orion emulation to HD IO and reboot.
The problem is that when you reboot it defaults back to MADI emulation.
They have been talking about that fix for a while now.
Wish they could pause the plugin development and fix this once and for all.
If I’d known before this would have been a 109% dealbreaker.

Don’t think I’ve seen Antelope chip in here for a while either.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I think it’s only one sample. Possibly two.
Which sounds very little. But quite audible on a vocal when something is in parallel.
Also annoying cause Orion is maxed out compensating in 96k.
In 44-48 it’s possible to find the sweet spot.

Antelope also says that we should set the Orion emulation to HD IO and reboot.
The problem is that when you reboot it defaults back to MADI emulation.
They have been talking about that fix for a while now.
Wish they could pause the plugin development and fix this once and for all.
If I’d known before this would have been a 109% dealbreaker.

Don’t think I’ve seen Antelope chip in here for a while either.
I will check the case history and update you on Tuesday, because of Easter holiday. However 1-2 samples sounds reasonable for me , when you ad/da the signal+ some delay because of the patchbay and the cables. I was expecting something like 10+ samples. But i will make sure to update you soon.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I will check the case history and update you on Tuesday, because of Easter holiday. However 1-2 samples sounds reasonable for me , when you ad/da the signal+ some delay because of the patchbay and the cables. I was expecting something like 10+ samples. But i will make sure to update you soon.
Didn’t know you worked for Antelope.
Thanks. Been hoping and asking for more advanced support.
Begged Clybourne for help(as he seemed to have some deeper knowledge)on DM.
Didn’t even answer my requests...

Sigh... once and for all.
The analog cables/patchbay is not a factor in my case as regards to latency!
Trust me. I’ve been doing analogue audio for 25 years.
Biting my tongue not to sound like a smart ass.
As analog audio travels close to the speed of light a cable length of one meter does not equal anything even close to one sample.
Also, why would the Orion seem to handle that latency better in 44/48 than in 96k??
Same cables.
Also, why does Avids interface handle the same situation in an identical flawlessly? Same cables.

When Antelope blames the analog part of this as a cause of the problem with latency compensation I get worried.
It almost sounds like deflection.
As I have stated many many times in this thread.
It works 100% accurate on a Avid HD IO interface and on the Orion much better in 44/48 than in 96.
Why would the analog cables be a factor on higher sample frequencies on one particular interface??
Avid HD IO and Aurora Lynx have worked flawlessly for me in 44.1/48/88.2/96k in the exact same setup.
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Hey Alex, please let us know how this goes.

I just acquired an HD Native card and I get the same 1 sample difference when I instantiate an analog insert w/ nothing but a short patch cable to route the output back to the input.

Tested this @ 44.1 and 48.

Also, getting the same issue as stefanb: when I switch to I/O 16 emulation and Perform a reboot it returns to its default MADI I/O state.

This needs fixing.

Thanks for your support,
Andy
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyisdead View Post
Hey Alex, please let us know how this goes.

I just acquired an HD Native card and I get the same 1 sample difference when I instantiate an analog insert w/ nothing but a short patch cable to route the output back to the input.

Tested this @ 44.1 and 48.

Also, getting the same issue as stefanb: when I switch to I/O 16 emulation and Perform a reboot it returns to its default MADI I/O state.

This needs fixing.

Thanks for your support,
Andy
Hey Andy,

I send you PM a couple of days ago, but you did not replied.
Please check your inbox and provide me the requested info.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Greetings everyone!

Check out the splendid intie we did with Audiotree’s Brok Mende and Rick Fritz. In it we discuss the development of their great music platform, clowning around recording sessions and working with Antelope Audio’s top notch products to get the best out of the live sound.

You could also have a listen at some music recorded using Orion32 HD and MP32:

Old 25th May 2018
Eh Antelope team, It gets on my nerves there are too much troubles with your orion 32HD!!! Half the time I have to power back my unit to be recognized with orion software! (And no power button, so I’ve to power back my gear with!).
Meters are before trim gain!! Are you professional??? Also big latency with 128mb in USB3, meters move with too latency, unusable... I had better performances with RME gears, at a quarter the price.
I spent a lot of time with your team on live chat, they controlled my computer but no solution, they told me «yes these are interesting ideas, we notice» but no update.
MOVE YOUR ASS ANTELOPE PLEASE, IT’S A SHAME FOR A 3500€ UNIT, WE ARE A LOT UNSATISFIED BY YOUR UNIT. TAKE EXAMPLE FROM PROFESSIONNALS LIKE LYNX AUDIO, METRIC HALO, UNIVERSAL AUDIO. AND PLEASE DON’T SEND ME A PM TO CONTACT YOUR TECHNICAL TEAM, I ALREADY DID IT!

please orion unsatisfied owners, put a Like below this message, Antelope team has to work.

Last edited by Biosynth; 25th May 2018 at 10:54 AM..
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Maniac

So no fixes yet for all the above?

I’ve been following this thread as we’ve selected the 32HD for our B room. It looked like such a great option, but with all the issues I keep reading about...

Looks like I may have to rethink this a bit.
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
Eh Antelope team, It gets on my nerves there are too much troubles with your orion 32HD!!! Half the time I have to power back my unit to be recognized with orion software! (And no power button, so I’ve to power back my gear with!).
Meters are before trim gain!! Are you professional??? Also big latency with 128mb in USB3, meters move with too latency, unusable... I had better performances with RME gears, at a quarter the price.
I spent a lot of time with your team on live chat, they controlled my computer but no solution, they told me «yes these are interesting ideas, we notice» but no update.
MOVE YOUR ASS ANTELOPE PLEASE, IT’S A SHAME FOR A 3500€ UNIT, WE ARE A LOT UNSATISFIED BY YOUR UNIT. TAKE EXAMPLE FROM PROFESSIONNALS LIKE LYNX AUDIO, METRIC HALO, UNIVERSAL AUDIO. AND PLEASE DON’T SEND ME A PM TO CONTACT YOUR TECHNICAL TEAM, I ALREADY DID IT!

please orion unsatisfied owners, put a Like below this message, Antelope team has to work.
Greetings!

What you're stating is both quite unclear and surprising to an extent. The Orion 32 HD has proven to be one of the best and most stable Antelope Audio products out there.

You may refer to the testimonials of professionals like our friends at Audiotree.tv who we recently interviewed.

If you do have questions and technical issues, they certainly aren't going to be solved here. The Tech Support team has the skills and insight to help you and we believe they're ready to. So, yes, the answer is - contact them as they're the only ones to verify what the exact issues are and how to solve them.

Last edited by Antelope Audio; 4th June 2018 at 08:11 AM..
Old 1st June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
You may refer to the testimonials of professionals like our friends at Audiotree.tv who we recently interviewed.
Really objective stop with your marketing please, we are technicians not pigeons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
What your stating is both quite unclear and surprising to an extent
Do you think we are joking with our issues? And no update, no communication, my god.
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
Do you think we are joking with our issues? And no update, no communication, my god.
Greetings!

We do not tend to joke with anyone's issues. Things is, we have a whole team of professionals called the Tech Support. It is really them you should contact when you have serious issues or questions regarding the Antelope Audio products.
Forum threads are OK for sharing and getting this or that right, but when it comes to serious technical issues/questions, Tech Support is the right answer.
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Again... ignoring everything.

He mentioned that he had already contacted tech support. Like almost everyone else with issues on this thread.

You still have a latency issue in Pro Tools.

When will this be solved?
Old 10th June 2018
Lives for gear
I was pretty much set on getting either the Orion 32HD or Orion Studio HD. However, I didn’t want to take the risk when it came to reliability and stability (no concerns about sonic quality). Therefore, I went with the Prism Atlas with MDIO DigiLink Card and couldn’t be happier. Rock solid and fully integrated with PT Ultimate (HD).
Old 10th June 2018
Lives for gear
I'll just pipe in to say the Orion Studio HD was buggy at the beginning but Antelope must have done something because it's been rock solid for several months now. We're clocking to a Grimm CC2 and it sounds stellar. Will demo the 10MX atomic clock as well, time permitting, but as is it really does sound great. Very happy here.

Last edited by raal; 21st June 2018 at 06:55 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search