The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 26th November 2017
Here for the gear

Hello! I very much wish to be a user of Orion HD for all its possibilities, but I am very afraid of not being able to carry out its functionality due to all the stability and latency problems that a lot of users have experienced. I have read all the threads of both Orion 32 and Orion 32+ and Orion 32hd and I have seen 80% of the negative comments :(
As if I was not alive in Argentina and English is not my mother tongue as you will realize, how would you contact the technical support?

What opinions do you have?
And your @Clybourne?

thanks
Old 27th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by midikey View Post
Hello! I very much wish to be a user of Orion HD for all its possibilities, but I am very afraid of not being able to carry out its functionality due to all the stability and latency problems that a lot of users have experienced. I have read all the threads of both Orion 32 and Orion 32+ and Orion 32hd and I have seen 80% of the negative comments :(
As if I was not alive in Argentina and English is not my mother tongue as you will realize, how would you contact the technical support?

And your @Clybourne?

thanks
This claim of 80% negative comments is simply false. While it's true people with an issue are usually the only ones with a need to post, we've had loads of positive comments.

Tech Support is available 5 days per week, two shifts and standby on weekends.

We also have an excellent user group on Facebook, called Antelope Audio Users.

Marcel
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by midikey View Post

And your @Clybourne?

thanks
As a Fellow Antelope Audio user and Argentino, I can tell you this audio interface is SUPERB! I have the Orion32 and the Orion ZenTour. The Orion32 really works great with my mixer, it has all the in's and outs I need.

the Antelope ZenTour is also a great interface and has a lot of really superb FX's.

If I was you I would go with the Orion32 HD. It uses USB3 and has monitor outs. I plan to get one of those and link it with my existing Orion32.

I hope this helps.
Old 6th December 2017
Here for the gear

@Clybourne @IamZeke Thanks!!!!
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Addict
Hey y´all. How would i do if i want to defer a firmware update? Sometimes to update can at least for me be quite a process and when i´m working with something urgent it´s not possible for me to find time for the update.
Old 6th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Hey y´all. How would i do if i want to defer a firmware update? Sometimes to update can at least for me be quite a process and when i´m working with something urgent it´s not possible for me to find time for the update.
On a Mac you can keep the panel in the "dock". I don't know what this is called in Windows, but I know they have it too.

But, be advised, when you are ready to update again you will need to use the original panel Launcher app. AND, do not update your firmware from the panel when not starting with the Launcher, you will have a mismatch.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
On a Mac you can keep the panel in the "dock". I don't know what this is called in Windows, but I know they have it too.

But, be advised, when you are ready to update again you will need to use the original panel Launcher app. AND, do not update your firmware from the panel when not starting with the Launcher, you will have a mismatch.

Hope this helps.
Awesome, will try it out. Many thanks.
Old 28th December 2017
Hey all. Are there any plans to release a non HDX Orion version with the updated conversion chips? Perhaps an updated version of the 32+? I am not a protools user but still want the latest and greatest 32 channel converter antelope has to offer. The HDX connectivity seems to come at a premium price tag. Thanks!
Old 29th December 2017
Happy with my 32hd, but I really need more mixers!
4 mixers is too short, please antelope, work on it.
In practice, one mixer is used for monitoring, so only 3 mixers are available for fx sends or artist monitoring...

Also my meters show values with big latency (256 samples and MIN LANTENCY settings in USB3 with a good pc).

So I’m really happy with sound quality and number of inputs/outputs, but not happy with latency and number of mixers.
Old 7th January 2018
Here for the gear

Hello Everyone !
I have constant problems with usb 3.0
I hope antelope will fix it.
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleway View Post
Hello Everyone !
I have constant problems with usb 3.0
I hope antelope will fix it.
simple way, what exactly is your problem and what's your case number, assuming you've already contacted Support?
Old 20th January 2018
New firmware update.
We have no information about this update. Please Antelope, a little bit of communication would not hurt.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
New firmware update.
We have no information about this update. Please Antelope, a little bit of communication would not hurt.
Really? I´m not finding any updates when starting the control panel. By chance could it be related to the fact that the control panel suddenly does not find my device?
Old 8th February 2018
Here for the gear

Got the email about new software with impressor etc. today with this note:

"Changes and improvements
We’re also happy to announce some improvements to Orion 32 HD.

- Improved HD delay compensation"

Can someone (Clybourne?!) elaborate on what changed / improved?

thanks,
Ewan
Old 8th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Really? I´m not finding any updates when starting the control panel. By chance could it be related to the fact that the control panel suddenly does not find my device?
Please make sure you're using the Launcher and not only starting the panel itself. The Launcher is the file you originally downloaded that checks for the latest panel.
Old 8th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan pearson View Post
Got the email about new software with impressor etc. today with this note:

"Changes and improvements
We’re also happy to announce some improvements to Orion 32 HD.

- Improved HD delay compensation"

Can someone (Clybourne?!) elaborate on what changed / improved?

thanks,
Ewan
I think it's a way of saying "bug fixes". I'll have to ask what was improved specifically about the HD compensation, but I think it just corrected some kind of error in the compensation we found.
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Head

Still can’t get it phase accurate with HW inserts in 96k

Hope Clybourne can shed some light on this.

I’ve had the Orion 32HD for a couple of months now and happy for the most part.
Always mixing with a lot of HW inserts.
I have two Avid HD IOs and one Orion HD32 all in loop sync with the Orion as master.

The majority of my work the last few months has been in 48k and I have managed to get by with the Orion.
Some adjustments has been made to tweak the sample accuracy in the Antelope panel.
I have had a bit of issues with it since the delay times could shift slightly from week to week.

Now I’m doing a major record in 96k and it seems like the Orion can’t compensate fully with HW inserts!
The Orion can only adjust up to 28 samples in its own software. And I believe it needs to be a few samples more to be accurate.
I’d say somewhere between 29-32 samples is needed after careful listening and measuring.

I’ve installed the newest version(just released)today and really hoped they finally solved this.
But no... spent hours tonight with their online support. (Hours I don’t really have...)
They took over my screen and tried everything possible.
Felt like the support guys just wanted me to go away.
After an hour they gave me a suggestion and then clicked me offline... not too cool.
Tried it in auto compensate(which the support guys recommended). Same value. 28 samples and not enough.

Very evident when using a HW insert 1176 in parallel on a vocal.
On the Orion you loose a lot of high end.
On the Avid HD IO it works perfectly!

Anyone to give any advise on this?
Clybourne to the rescue?

I’m about two seconds from jumping ship on Antelope and getting me two more HD IOs instead.
But I’m really hoping this can be solved ASAP.

Crucial mixing phase now on a big album so the timing on this issue couldn’t be much worse for me.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanb View Post

I have two Avid HD IOs and one Orion HD32 all in loop sync with the Orion as master.

The majority of my work the last few months has been in 48k and I have managed to get by with the Orion.
Some adjustments has been made to tweak the sample accuracy in the Antelope panel.
I have had a bit of issues with it since the delay times could shift slightly from week to week.

Now I’m doing a major record in 96k and it seems like the Orion can’t compensate fully with HW inserts!
The Orion can only adjust up to 28 samples in its own software. And I believe it needs to be a few samples more to be accurate.
I’d say somewhere between 29-32 samples is needed after careful listening and measuring.

I’ve installed the newest version(just released)today and really hoped they finally solved this.
But no... spent hours tonight with their online support. (Hours I don’t really have...)
After an hour they gave me a suggestion and then clicked me offline... not too cool.
Tried it in auto compensate(which the support guys recommended). Same value. 28 samples and not enough.

Clybourne to the rescue?

I’m about two seconds from jumping ship on Antelope and getting me two more HD IOs instead.

Crucial mixing phase now on a big album so the timing on this issue couldn’t be much worse for me.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear it. My suggestion is to keep on them constantly. Emails, phone calls, posts, PM's, whatever. Become the biggest pain in the neck that you can until it's resolved, if that's what it takes. It's not your doing, and you've put your trust in their product for your livelihood, based on the promises and assertions of that product's performance and capabilities.

I'm still on my own unresolved support journey with these guys.
Old 9th February 2018
Quote:

Clybourne to the rescue?

This user informed me that he's in MADI mode in our panel, based on some suggestion by Support. When he should be mimicking the HD I/O. MADI I/O has the least amount of available buffering, as it's a digital only device. But, HD I/O should cause no such issues for HW Inserts.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Head

Nope,

Did exactly like Claybourne said. Still have to compensate manually in PT to get it in phase perfectly.
Now I have to compensate the Orion 32HD interface 0.01ms in Pro Tools.
Doesn't sound like much with 0.01ms...right?
But doing something to a vocal in parallel and that slight difference totally messes up the high end.

Avid HD IO handles this perfectly.
Check this image from Pro tools
Dropbox - Orion 32HD v2.png
Tracks:
1. Sine tone feeding to tracks 2 and 3.
2. HW insert loop straight from out to input on Avid HD IO.
3. HW insert loop straight from out to input on Orion HD32.
The rest of the tracks have ".cm" in their name and a committed bounced of the hardware inserts.
Comments field explain the procedure that have been bounced with.
Blue is Avid HD IO bounced. And aligns perfectly.
The two purple are Orion HD IO with both settings I have heard from Antelopes official"support" and Clybourne. Not aligning well!
The green track at the bottom is the one I´ve had to manually "H/W insert delay"compensate in the IO settings dialog.

I´m not having good luck with Antelope support. Except the responses from Claybourne here on Gearslutz.
I´d really hope to get in contact with someone really good at this from Antelope directly instead thru a forum.
Having to go thru a forum with a issue like this doesn't´t feel like a"pro support" to me.
I´ve wasted so much time on this issue. So not I´m not sure the money I saved of getting a Orion instead of a HD IO was very wise...

Would not recommend this setup until this is 100% solved.
I´ve had similar setups with HD IOs and a Lynx Aurora with 0% issues.

Stefan

Quote:
This user informed me that he's in MADI mode in our panel, based on some suggestion by Support. When he should be mimicking the HD I/O. MADI I/O has the least amount of available buffering, as it's a digital only device. But, HD I/O should cause no such issues for HW Inserts.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Head

In case the dropbox link doesn't´t work.
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3-orion-32hd-v2.jpg  
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
In case the dropbox link doesn't´t work.
So not sample accurate in PT HD after all?
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Head

Not when using hardware inserts in PT.
Avids HD IO handles this Perfect.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Head

Can’t get it phase accurate with HW inserts in pro tools.
Have to manually adjust the Orion 0.01-0.02ms in 96k.
I assume that value will differ when using different sample frequencies which would be a huge hassle when working in multiple projects in parallel.

Was hoping that Antelope or Clybourne could give some answers or tips to solve this.
Got nothing so far...

Would be nice with an acknowledgement of this issue.
If the Orion can’t handle phase accuracy with HW inserts in Pro tools we all need to know.
I’d sell mine in a flash.
But I’m hoping for a solution or a fix.
Old 15th February 2018
Quote:
Can’t get it phase accurate with HW inserts in pro tools.
Have to manually adjust the Orion 0.01-0.02ms in 96k.
I assume that value will differ when using different sample frequencies which would be a huge hassle when working in multiple projects in parallel.

Was hoping that Antelope or Clybourne could give some answers or tips to solve this.
Got nothing so far...

Would be nice with an acknowledgement of this issue.
If the Orion can’t handle phase accuracy with HW inserts in Pro tools we all need to know.
I’d sell mine in a flash.
But I’m hoping for a solution or a fix.
I know there was an update concerning sample compensation this week. Have you updated?

Also, you can adjust the compensation manually on the HDX tab of the Orion32HD control panel. If it's slightly off, that's why that's there.
Old 15th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I know there was an update concerning sample compensation this week. Have you updated?

Also, you can adjust the compensation manually on the HDX tab of the Orion32HD control panel. If it's slightly off, that's why that's there.
As I’ve written in previous posts(and DMs to you)
I’ve done the recent update. No difference.
Also the compensation in the control panel can’t compensate enough.
I’ve explained this in great detail. Check your DMs or earlier posts.

Try to do a HW insert in pro tools and do an analog loop thru the Orion and see if it comes back 100% phase accurate.
Check my picture above. Avids HD IO does.
The Orion doesn’t. The compensation in the control panel is maxed out BUT still needs to be compensated 0.01-0,02ms to be in phase.
Old 17th February 2018
Quote:

Try to do a HW insert in pro tools and do an analog loop thru the Orion and see if it comes back 100% phase accurate.
The Orion doesn’t. The compensation in the control panel is maxed out BUT still needs to be compensated 0.01-0,02ms to be in phase.
It sounds like we're in the same boat unfortunately. I was going to pass on the Orion 32 HD when it was first announced but when it was later stated that it was going to be sample accurate with Pro Tools HD I bought in. I'm having issues with outboard compression and the built in FGPA FX. When using the Antelope FX on a single track here and there it sounds ok but when using anything in parallel is when it really becomes unusable. I love everything else about these units but it's hard not to feel like we got hoodwinked at this point.
Old 17th February 2018
Quote:

I have tested the Orion32HD myself and they are indeed sample accurate when in HD 1/O mode. We have a lot of users using them this way w/o complaints at all using HW Inserts. Are you perhaps in the MADI IO mode? The MADI mode doesn't have the same about of buffering available, since the MADI HD was digital only, it isn't possible to do a lot there.
Old 17th February 2018
Gear Head

I’m not in Madi mode anymore(all thou Antelope support first told me to be)
I’m in HD IO 16x16 mode.

Pretty sure mine can be phase accurate in 44.1 and 48k.
But not in 96k! Check the image I posted earlier!
That’s showing both MADI and HD IO bounces right next to a real HD IO.
Don’t know what else to say.
Is it just unit that is not phase accurate in 96k??

Could you please try to do a hardware insert in PT in 96k using a analog loop thru Orion?
Try a 15khz tone. That should easily show any flaws in phase accuracy.

Quote:
I have tested the Orion32HD myself and they are indeed sample accurate when in HD 1/O mode. We have a lot of users using them this way w/o complaints at all using HW Inserts. Are you perhaps in the MADI IO mode? The MADI mode doesn't have the same about of buffering available, since the MADI HD was digital only, it isn't possible to do a lot there.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

It seems that my Orion doesn't remember which HD I/O it emulates. After every shutdown it's set to HD MADI. It doesn't get saved in the presets either.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search