The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniej1206 View Post
So its something like the Slate or Townsend ones? But maybe based on FPGA?
I am hyped!
I hope so. I was pushing for Antelope and Slate to collaborate on FPGA last year. Cool to see that Antelope went their own direction with this. That's even better than my suggestion!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...rtnership.html
Old 11th September 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

If the emulations are via FPGA then the market for the Mics will be limited to users of Antelope's interfaces, so that eliminates a large percentage of the market, where as Slate and Townsend's mics can be used by a much larger base. And Townsend's even more than Slate b/c you can use your own mic pre.
Old 11th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
If the emulations are via FPGA then the market for the Mics will be limited to users of Antelope's interfaces, so that eliminates a large percentage of the market, where as Slate and Townsend's mics can be used by a much larger base. And Townsend's even more than Slate b/c you can use your own mic pre.
Actually I dont think they are limiting their market, they are raising the market who will buy their interfaces if the also offer free mic emulation on their interfaces and the microphones marcel said are gonna be cheaper for antelope interface owners. Of course microphones are microphones and if anyone wants to buy one for its own sound they can of course.

Its more like adding more value to their interfaces rathen than offering mic emulation for the masses. Besides mic emulation on their interface its gonna work with extremely low latency which makes it actually practical.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

You can use your own pre with Slate as well. Results will vary when doing so. Same with Townsend. It's going to affect things to some degree. Townsend has been on pre-order status for a long time now, so who knows when it'll be released...

Besides, this is an Antelope interface thread, so who cares that you will need an Antelope interface? That's kind of the point!
Old 11th September 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

No need for the extra attitude!
It was a thought I had as someone who doesn't one an Antelope interface per se. I have a Pure2, but I'm sure that will excluded.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No need for the extra attitude!
It was a thought I had as someone who doesn't one an Antelope interface per se. I have a Pure2, but I'm sure that will excluded.
Relax. Wasn't trying to give attitude, just thought it was a bit funny. Like mentioning in an Apollo thread that UAD plugins require UAD hardware.
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrisag View Post
Johnyc seems to me that you are one of the very few people who really understand this stuff, so since you do pls try and explain why you disagree with clybourne with terms and give us reasons as to why, so far i've seen you disagree but you don't really explain whereas clybourne he tries to explain his position (which sound techical jargon to you). I am a possible antelope buyer and i would really like to know what you know.

Thanks
Digital circuits all process 1s and 0s, they will not change the data unless you specifically tell them to. This applies to CPUs, DSP chips, FPGAs, etc. Therefore none of them have any inherent sound quality. The sound quality will be entirely dependent on the instructions (code) given to them. You can get the EXACT same result with CPUs, DSPs, or FPGAs if the instructions are the same. One way might have an advantage in speed, but just because you get your food faster doesn't mean it tastes better, it might even taste worse. The taste is due to the skill of the chef and ingredients used. It's the same with CPUs, DSP chips, FPGAs, and quality of sound. The people that did the digital modeling and coding is what determines the sound quality, not which digital chip was used.

Analog circuits process continuous signals. They differ in that they do actually have a sound on their own. The sound quality on the output will be dependent on BOTH the parts used (resistors, capacitors, transformers, etc) and the instructions you gave to the circuit (how it's wired, component values, etc). This is what makes analog both challenging and exciting. If you swap a Cinemag transformer for a Jensen the sound will actually change!!

My, and others, disagreements are with statements that are either wrong, or misleading trying to imply that an FPGA behaves like analog, that it has an inherent sound on it's own.

For example:

"When you "pre-program" an FPGA, it actually takes on the function/personality of the circuitry you emulated"

Yes this is true, but only for DIGITAL circuits. So if you wanted to recreate a Nintendo processor this would a good point. Completely irrelevant and misleading when trying to emulate an 1176.

"An FPGA is a real hardware component that does not perform computations"
Simply wrong. If there were no computations the FX wouldn't work or do anything. Just think how would you adjust the volume on an FX without a computation? You can't.

"Such plugins often add several milliseconds of processing delay and typically introduce artifacts to the sound causing various types distortion, as well as smearing the audio’s stereo imaging."
Again this is untrue and/or misleading. Any artifacts, distortions, etc in DSP will be entirely dependent on the code used, and NOT simply because a DSP was used. An FPGA can also have these same problems, it is not immune. It will entirely depend on the instructions (code) given to it.

There are many more examples of this.
Old 9th October 2017
When distressor will be ready for orioin hd please?
Old 16th October 2017
Been working with my Orion 32HD for a month now.
Sound quality is superb and the AFX are mostly great.

However, drivers under El Capitan were really unstable. Had all sorts of problems, from the system not seeing the interface, to sync issues where the unit would constantly switch from one sample rate to the other.

Performing a (long due) update to Sierra fixed most of my problems.

There is still a bug than comes up every once in a while. Say I'm summing analog, there are times when some destination channels won't receive audio while the routing is correct and the USB Play meter is showing a signal.
In these instances the only thing to do is restart the computer and the interface.

Also, if I power the computer up and let it boot completely before switching the Orion on everything seems to be more stable.

AFXs sound great but the user interface and implementation could be much better.
  • First, I don't understand why if I erroneously click away from the knobs and move my mouse the whole GUI moves around. This is both extremely annoying and just plain stoopid behaviour.
  • Second, far less important but, I'd like to see some sort of vector graphics implemented, so that when I resize the GUI on my 50" screen I don't see pixels.
  • Please, implement meters with values in the AFX page. I'd like to see where I'm at when working.
  • Please, introduce out gain knob after the soft-clipping stage of your plugs. Or provide us with a AFX gain plug. While the AFX's soft clipping sounds great, I don't like to hit PT in the red already.
    I'd say, a clean sounding IN and OUT gain on all your plugs would make for a great gain staging solution!
  • Plase make so that when I load an AFX plug the volume stays at unity. There's nothing more irritating than a sudden unexpected volume jump.

As I said, no complains about the sound, it is truly superb!

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited by andyisdead; 16th October 2017 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th October 2017
Quote:
Please, implement meters with values in the AFX page. I'd like to see where I'm at when working.
+1000 and on panel control meters also please.
Old 17th October 2017
Presets From The Pros

Kicking off with PRESETS from Michael Brauer, one of the best mix engineers over the past two decades. They will load into your Orion Studio or other FPGA compatible interface.

More preset stacks coming soon from Brian Vibberts, Mick Guzauski, and Greg Wells.

Here's a video of him talking about the Antelope FGPA FX, as well.

Old 24th October 2017
Brian Vibberts Presets now live!

Brian is a 6 time Grammy winner and has worked on a huge amount of platinum records over the years for artists like Green Day, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson..

His AFX Channel Strip Presets are now posted in our Presets From The Pros series.

Here he talks about creating and using them in his own work.

Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Head
On the Orion32 HD are the Monitor outputs separate outputs from the the 32 channels out? On my Orion32 I have no monitor outputs, I have to use output 1 and 2 on my dsub outputs and route those in the mixer. in other words, are they 32 line outputs plus 2 monitor outputs or is it 32 line outputs with Line 1&2 shared with the monitor out.
Old 2nd November 2017

you see two jack out monitor on the left
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post

you see two jack out monitor on the left
I see those, but from what I have been told on the orion32+ those 2 monitors jacks are actually shared with the DSUB outputs. In other words, if you want to use those jacks, you assign it USB PLAY 1 & 2 and your dsub connectors on really have output 3-8. so its 30 line outputs via dsub and 2 monitor outputs jacks.

I hope this makes my question clearer for some.
Old 4th November 2017
Lives for gear

Is it possible to get 48 analogue io with one HDX card, I have no use for digital io?

For example HDX card port 1 into Avid HDio 16x16 primary port and then out of the expansion port into Orion 32HD port 1 and then HDX card port 2 into Orion 32HD port 2
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
I see those, but from what I have been told on the orion32+ those 2 monitors jacks are actually shared with the DSUB outputs. In other words, if you want to use those jacks, you assign it USB PLAY 1 & 2 and your dsub connectors on really have output 3-8. so its 30 line outputs via dsub and 2 monitor outputs jacks.

I hope this makes my question clearer for some.
This is not true. The Orion32+ and Orion32HD are both 64 channel interfaces. So, you can route, for example, 1-32 to the DSUB analog outs and 33-34 to the Monitor outs. Or 1-2 to the Monitor Outs and 3-34 to the DSUB outs. So, no the Monitor Outs aren't "shared", they're whatever you want to route out of the 64 available channels from your DAW.

Hope this helps.
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
Is it possible to get 48 analogue io with one HDX card, I have no use for digital io?

For example HDX card port 1 into Avid HDio 16x16 primary port and then out of the expansion port into Orion 32HD port 1 and then HDX card port 2 into Orion 32HD port 2
This should be possible, yes. But, make sure in this scenario, that you make Orion32HD the clock master. I'd route the HD IO 16x16 to the port 2 of Orion32HD, btw. Then from your HDX card port 1, go to Orion32HD port 1 and make that the master. This is what I believe would be the best way to get your 48 channels going with the one card.
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
This is not true. The Orion32+ and Orion32HD are both 64 channel interfaces. So, you can route, for example, 1-32 to the DSUB analog outs and 33-34 to the Monitor outs. Or 1-2 to the Monitor Outs and 3-34 to the DSUB outs. So, no the Monitor Outs aren't "shared", they're whatever you want to route out of the 64 available channels from your DAW.

Hope this helps.
On my system the Orion 32 HD connected via USB allows me to use just the first 32 channels. From the DAW I can route to 33 thru 64 but there’s no audio playback. Also the meters on the Orion panel tell me just the same.

Can you confirm then this is not normal behaviour?
Possible causes of the problem?

I’m on Mac Mini i7 Quad with USB3 ports, OSX sierra.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Head
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the explanation. For clarification on both the Orion32+ and Orion32 HD is what you explained available on USB as well as Thunderbolt?
Old 5th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Thanks for the explanation. For clarification on both the Orion32+ and Orion32 HD is what you explained available on USB as well as Thunderbolt?
As for the USB, not on Orion32+, as that's USB2. But, on Orion32HD yes, as that's USB3.
Old 7th November 2017
Greg Wells speaks about Orion32HD

Greg talks about his use of Orion32HD, 10MX, and the Antelope FGPA FX, which he made a batch of Presets for that we have shared with users.

Old 13th November 2017
Marcel,

Could you ask George Massenburg to port his MDW EQ to your FPGA platform?
Old 17th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Just tested it today on an HD4 system and no issues. Here's the VIDEO
Hi , the video link is not working , would you please re link that test video ?

Thanks
cK
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

I need to connect the Orion 32HD to my Mac Pro in the machine room ~15m away.

Does anybody has experience with active USB 3 extenders, such as the Lindy one? USB 3.0 Active Extension 15m - USB Extension USB & Thunderbolt & FireWire - LINDY International Limited

I plan to power it externally and put a USB 3 powered hub at the end to which the Orion will be connected.

Will this work ?
Old 21st November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
I need to connect the Orion 32HD to my Mac Pro in the machine room ~15m away.

Does anybody has experience with active USB 3 extenders, such as the Lindy one? USB 3.0 Active Extension 15m - USB Extension USB & Thunderbolt & FireWire - LINDY International Limited

I plan to power it externally and put a USB 3 powered hub at the end to which the Orion will be connected.

Will this work ?
I spoke to someone at Corning and they suggested a Thunderbolt extender cable to a box with USB3 outs on it. Do you have a Mac or PC with TB?

I'm going to have to check the USB3 extender cable again, but I'm not sure how well their new USB3 optical cable works yet with our interfaces. I have not tried the Lindy yet at all.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I spoke to someone at Corning and they suggested a Thunderbolt extender cable to a box with USB3 outs on it. Do you have a Mac or PC with TB?

I'm going to have to check the USB3 extender cable again, but I'm not sure how well their new USB3 optical cable works yet with our interfaces. I have not tried the Lindy yet at all.
I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a USB3 PCIe card so no TB for me.
I ordered the Lindy cable with an Anker USB3 hub which should arrive at the end of the week. I only had good experience with Lindy cables ins the past and I hope it's going to work.

Meanwhile I noticed something strange while setting it up with my MBP over USB-C. When using a small USB-C to USB adapter, my internet doesn't work (over Wifi) as long as the Orion is connected. As soon as I unplug the cable the internet works again.
No issues with a larger USB-C to USB dongle.

Last edited by kosty; 21st November 2017 at 12:48 AM..
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a USB3 PCIe card so no TB for me.
I ordered the Lindy cable with an Anker USB3 hub which should arrive at the end of the week. I only had good experience with Lindy cables ins the past and I hope it's going to work.

Meanwhile I noticed something strange while setting it up with my MBP over USB-C. When using a small USB-C to USB adapter, my internet doesn't work (over Wifi) as long as the Orion is connected. As soon as I unplug the cable the internet works again.
No issues with a larger USB-C to USB dongle.
Not mac related however, i´ve had great success using an active / powered USB3 repeater when connecting a file server to another computer over usb3, i think the length was about 15 meters. Never any problems with signal strength or speed or anything, so i would recommend that route to anyone.
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Not mac related however, i´ve had great success using an active / powered USB3 repeater when connecting a file server to another computer over usb3, i think the length was about 15 meters. Never any problems with signal strength or speed or anything, so i would recommend that route to anyone.
Thank you for sharing !
I will report back if it worked
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Thank you for sharing !
I will report back if it worked
Good luck! If you want to, i can let you know what brand/model of repeater i got. Let me know via PM if that´s the case.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search