The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2017
d3l
Gear Nut

Hello Clybourne,

Could you please post a list of both supported and unsupported USB3 PCIE cards? I want to get one with a chipset that has been tested to be 100% compatible.
Old 22nd August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l View Post
Hello Clybourne,

Could you please post a list of both supported and unsupported USB3 PCIE cards? I want to get one with a chipset that has been tested to be 100% compatible.
We don't test all the available cards. I think it's best for some users to chime in here where they've used various cards, if there are some of you PC guys seeing this.
Old 22nd August 2017
BA-6A Compressor Video With Example NEW

Old 22nd August 2017
d3l
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
We don't test all the available cards. I think it's best for some users to chime in here where they've used various cards, if there are some of you PC guys seeing this.
I'm on a mac pro 2010.
Old 22nd August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l View Post
I'm on a mac pro 2010.
I see. This I really don't know about. You should be ok, though with a valid USB3 card for Orion32HD. We've worked fine with various USB2 cards, in the past.
Old 25th August 2017
FET-A78 Compressor Video With Example

Old 26th August 2017
How to use FPGA for clean make up gain

Old 27th August 2017
Gear Addict
Great vidz Marcel & team, keep them coming!
Old 29th August 2017
Grove Hill Liverpool added today!

Grove Hill Audio Liverpool was updated today for Antelope Audio Orion32HD, Goliath HD, Orion Studio HD. More interfaces to follow soon!

Old 4th September 2017
The Marcel Vlog episode 1

Taking a first look at the new TubeChild670 for Antelope interfaces and a new noise gate called PowerGate. We also see where the forums and user groups can help with useful tips and are reminded that Support is at the ready when issues arise. We also get information about upcoming Windows for Thunderbolt, Plugin for DAW and upcoming microphone and mic preamp modeling.

Old 5th September 2017
Fairchild Shootout

Fairchild shootout comparing popular clones from Antelope Audio, Waves, and UA with song clips and various settings. Clips taken from "Call Of Summer" by Avenue One

Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear
Marcel we appreciate your help and I am personally happy with your contributions in this topic but we are talking about a CONVERTER not an infinite list of plugins. Antelope still make converters or is intended to be more focused on making plugins emulations? Just to be clear
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
Marcel we appreciate your help and I am personally happy with your contributions in this topic but we are talking about a CONVERTER not an infinite list of plugins. Antelope still make converters or is intended to be more focused on making plugins emulations? Just to be clear
Sorry, but I don't see it that way at all. I use these FX myself and I interact with an increasing number of users that do so, as well. I no longer view Antelope interfaces as simply "converters", but as incredible realtime effects processors that have great conversion. :-)
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The conversion is top notch and the FPGA is setting a standard of it's own. Win, Win for us Antelope owners. The continued development is a bonus for us. The converters to are seeing more development, the Orion2017 etc. I don't know, it's greater value added
Old 6th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
If I understand the point of this post correctly (and please forgive me if I misunderstand it), you raise what I believe is a false dichotomy. The latest Antelope gear provides both excellent converters AND a host for real-time, hardware-dedicated plugins that rival or surpass the best out there.

After a friend demonstrated those plugins for me in a reinforcement/recording situation (and after some further research that included watching numerous shootout and promotional videos put out by or on behalf of Antelope), I was convinced to upgrade my Orion 32 to an Orion 32+ solely to gain access to the real-time plugins.

This is the new and improved Antelope, in my view -- converters and plugins.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Please pardon me for weighing in here, but it is precisely the outstanding quality of the converters, along with the rapidly-increasing roster and availability and quality of the AFX eq's compressors and other that I made the jump to an Antelope interface. Let's be honest here - Antelope's converters and continually expanding roster of interfaces and even upgraded converters are truly under-appreciated for their quality, not to mention the AFX. And there is so much that you can do with the AFX that actually begin to put the emulated hardware to shame.

I've used mine, with AFX engaged both live (as FOH and with routing to record) and when tracking, mixing and mastering in the studio.

As Marcel says, Antelope units are no longer just one thing or another.

Antelope units... are! They are converters and DSP/FPGA. Both of a quality that blow the nearest competition out of the water.

And yes. I become more of a fanboy the more I use them. Unashamedly so.
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Maniac

The effects on the Antelope interfaces are great for tracking/printing through and direct monitoring. Keep them coming! Eagerly awaiting the new compressors for my Zen Tour! The BA-6A in particular!
Old 7th September 2017
Here for the gear

Greetings Everyone.. First and fore most I will start by giving you some information. I currently run 20 Cores of UAD DSP while mixing and have owned Apollo Twin and Apollo Racks, Ive also owned and used some of the best conversion options in the industry Aurora, Lavry, Apogee, Benchmark ETC.. Now I own an Orion Studio and Orion Studio Rev 2017.

I see one problem here and that is the fear to accept change. When I purchased my Orion Studio (Legacy-Grey) I only knew one thing about Antelope. Their clocking and conversion is honestly some of the best in the business and the features these interfaces have are untouchable. I understood the technology behind the FPGA and I thought wow..this is a cool concept.Worst case i get some OK plugins for free.

When the unit arrived I expected one thing from it, and that's to blow my mind when it came to clocking and conversion quality. First tests of this unit running via Thunderbolt at 96K told me a few things.. 1). This conversion was def in the top 3..possibly the best conversion I've had the opportunity to work with. 2.) The clocking is amazing. For those who don't know the current lineups feature the same Word Clock as the OCXHD and that clock is certainly amazing, so much that if you clock basically any non Antelope Interface via word clock. you will immediately hear an improvement in your sound quality.

I did not make much use of the FPGA EFX when receiving my first Orion Studio.BIG MISTAKE! When the Orion Studio Rev 2017 came ; one the improved conversion certainly was audible and currently i could not be happier with that unit!.

Those who know me from FB groups know I am an Avid user of the Slate VMS system which I have loved since I received it. I have for quite some time been tracking with the VMS then during my mixing stage only utilizing the FG800M (or other mic emulations) inside of VMR; thats right no other modules. I then would replace all of them modules with UAD plugins Ex. UAD 1073, SSL G Channel, UAD 1176AE. The list goes on, you get the drift.

Keep in mind with the FPGA EFX technology is a very different thing than DSP Processing (Field Programmable Gate Array). Do some research on it before you jump to conclusions. This sounds IMO way better then utilizing the Pres, EQs, Compressors and Channel Saturation in VMR or VCC. I did from time to time track with UAD plugins when i was still on the UAD interface..but this was not an option for me anymore due to using the Orion Studio Rev 2017.

So the true test. How are these preamps on the Orion going to handle my VMS? Could I use this interface to do exactly what Slate claims will change the world with the release of the VRS? I decided to perform not only an audio test for my ears but a scientific test for me eyes. I placed the VMS in front of a speaker and I captured a Sine Wave sweep and a White Noise generated test. The results scientifically were so close to identical it was scary and in the Audio test my ears actually preferred what the Orion Studio Pre's did for the VMS. So at this point im like " wow this Antelope interface has clocking and conversion that has raised the bar and amazed me far more than i imagined. Plus now I don't need this VMS One Pre sitting on my desk as an Eye sore".

I sold the VMS Pre (kept the microphone) for $300 less than 2 days later. Finally I said to myself.. "Steve its time to see what these FPGA EFX can really do"!. Let me be the first to tell you. "NOT USING THESE FPGA EFX FROM THE MOMENT I RECEIVED THIS UNIT IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST MISTAKES IVE MADE IN MY CAREER"! When comparing the FPGA EFX chain for vocals going from VMS>Orion Studio Rev 2017Preamp> vintage EQ such as API or BAE 1073> Tube76> X903> DAW with the insert as the VMR only utilizing the Mic Emulation I noticed One thing.This chain sounds at least 2x as powerful as tracking these vocals with the VMS settings. How do I know? Well due to the routing capabilities of the Antelope Interfaces I was able to track the Wet Signal through the FPGA EFX and recording it via 1 input of the DAW then i track the dry signal with no FPGA EFX via another input of the DAW - This allows me to have both the signal that utilizes the FPGA EFX and the signal from the preamp directly . It was an obvious no brainer that from this point forward I would be tracking through the Antelope FPGA EFX.

The 0 Latency monitoring is a huge plus too. I don't take full advantage of it because even with my Orion Studio's connected via USB with a session that's 96K my Round Trip latency was significantly low less than 4 MS- This should not be audible for a vocalist but guitar players that are really picky you may still want to do 0 latency monitoring.

I still to this day track wet and dry signals for everything I record. Is it because I may want to go back to the old way? No. I like to have options if I feel a tracking setting could have been better I simply route the dry signal back through the FPGA EFX and reprint the source. That's amazing! Please note that I am currently even after tracking with FPGA still mixing with mainly Acustica, UAD and Console 1 ITB. Much like if I was tracking with Analog Gear id still be using these plugins during the mix. I say that to say this. Tracking with FPGA is like tracking with analog gear. Its rich, smooth, it sounds great, and it responds like real analog gear. Which trust me ; I have tons of experience working on some of the most legendary pieces of outboard gear and consoles in history.

To wrap up I'd like to leave people with this. Change is good, Innovation is great. Antelope has raised the bar and they continue to raise the bar. This is not only a company that I trust as a business owner and audio engineer but this is a company i personally invest my time into when running the Antelope Audio Users group I created months ago. I stand by Antelope like I stand by my family. Antelope is part of my family now the Orion puts food on the table and allows me to get great results which prior would of resulted in much more time mixing and way less time with my family. With the anticipated Microphone system not far away and future ability to utilize FPGA EFX during mixing. I'm sure I will hang my VMS up for good after the microphone system arrives. I find myself using less and less UAD and more and more Antelope FPGA EFX. Anyone who is on the fence invest. I don't ask you to invest in Antelope, I ask you to invest in yourself! Let Antelope change your workflow so it can improve your quality of life. Two things you cant get back your time and your money.. why not spend your money on a product that will allow you to allocate your time better.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarasinaStudio View Post
Keep in mind with the FPGA EFX technology is a very different thing than DSP Processing (Field Programmable Gate Array). Do some research on it before you jump to conclusions.
So it isn't just number crunching like any other digital audio processing (albeit very quickly)?
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarasinaStudio View Post
Greetings Everyone.. First and fore most I will start by giving you some information. I currently run 20 Cores of UAD DSP while mixing and have owned Apollo Twin and Apollo Racks, Ive also owned and used some of the best conversion options in the industry Aurora, Lavry, Apogee, Benchmark ETC.. Now I own an Orion Studio and Orion Studio Rev 2017.
. [long text]
Well written and i agree, you have nailed many of my own thoughts aswell. As a hobbyist, investing in the HD was very hard to motivate since it took a hefty chunk of my income - but i have no regrets. The interface is awesome, and besides that i really appreciate how the A-team listen to us customers and continue to innovate and deliver quality effects.

Maybe you should send the text to the team as a testimonial?
Old 8th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonengineer View Post
So it isn't just number crunching like any other digital audio processing (albeit very quickly)?
No, it isn't. When you "pre-program" an FPGA, it actually takes on the function/personality of the circuitry you emulated. Imagine a circuit board, but it's laid out in memory blocks of a chip, instead of spread out over a printed circuit board, in fact even creating the "schematic" is similar to designing hardware products. Once it's "Field Programmable Gate Array" is programmed, it is "processing" the audio, not number crunching it.
Old 8th September 2017
Episode 2 is up

Recapping recent user group news and shares some of the big moments in Antelope's rise with master clocks thanks to Michael Brauer, Universal Mastering, and Sean Murphy's work on Avatar. There's some big news as the next major AFX Compressor is announced.

Join us in more discussion here.

Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, it isn't. When you "pre-program" an FPGA, it actually takes on the function/personality of the circuitry you emulated. Imagine a circuit board, but it's laid out in memory blocks of a chip, instead of spread out over a printed circuit board, in fact even creating the "schematic" is similar to designing hardware products. Once it's "Field Programmable Gate Array" is programmed, it is "processing" the audio, not number crunching it.
This is getting ridiculous now. So does the FPGA take a stream of digital audio, transform it, and output a stream of digital audio or not?

As you've just stated, FPGA is 'field programmable gate array' - a big big big block of gates, i.e. digital logic. Any 'emulation' happening is via digital logic, no different to doing it via DSP or any other means. The main advantage of using FPGA vs DSP is speed and parallelism - all very good reasons to use FPGA.

I think you are flat-out misleading your customers with your statements, and I advise them to google FPGA vs DSP for many useful pages showing a comparison between the two methods.
Old 8th September 2017
Quote:
This is getting ridiculous now. So does the FPGA take a stream of digital audio, transform it, and output a stream of digital audio or not?

As you've just stated, FPGA is 'field programmable gate array' - a big big big block of gates, i.e. digital logic. Any 'emulation' happening is via digital logic, no different to doing it via DSP or any other means. The main advantage of using FPGA vs DSP is speed and parallelism - all very good reasons to use FPGA.

I think you are flat-out misleading your customers with your statements, and I advise them to google FPGA vs DSP for many useful pages showing a comparison between the two methods.
Just read up on the topic. Do some Googling. Notice the description

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-...ble_gate_array

"FPGAs contain an array of programmable logic blocks, and a hierarchy of reconfigurable interconnects that allow the blocks to be "wired together"

It's actually quite clear when you research it.

This video breaks it down even easier.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear
Did you even watch the video? He is talking about replacing a microcontroller for simple tasks such as reading switches/switching outputs, this has no relevance to processing digital audio. I am well aware what an FPGA is which is why I'm questioning your ridiculous claims.

Can you answer this question - is the input to your FPGA a stream of digital audio? Yes or no?
Old 8th September 2017
Quote:
Did you even watch the video? He is talking about replacing a microcontroller for simple tasks such as reading switches/switching outputs, this has no relevance to processing digital audio. I am well aware what an FPGA is which is why I'm questioning your ridiculous claims.

Can you answer this question - is the input to your FPGA a stream of digital audio? Yes or no?
NO, you are wrong. He is giving a simple demonstration of the technology and how it differs. In fact, he programmed a very fast robotic spider at the end of it and explains how it wouldn't be possible to do via CPU.

Did YOU watch the video?

He goes onto explain how you can do very complex processing on the FPGA and even build your own microprocessor. His explanation about using a microprocessor together with an FPGA is apt for us, as this is how our cabinet models are done (impulse responses calculated inside the CPU, then loaded into the FPGA modeler for realtime performance).
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry but this is completely wrong. An FPGA is simply one way of implementing a digital transfer function, it's digital in digital out. There is no inherent sonic advantage whatsoever. Are you really trying to imply it is somehow closer to analog hardware due to using an FPGA?
Old 8th September 2017
Here for the gear

There is a very big difference between FPGA and DSP (and CPU for that matter), quite simply an FPGA is NOT a processor! DSPs and CPUs (that run native plugs) are both processors with the same type of "fetch-and-execute" architecture, which means program code is read into a memory, then fetched and run by the processor. There will always be the inherent latency of that buffer with any processor.

FPGA is NOT a processor. There is no fetch-and-execute happening - the digital circuit is written onto the chip, so it's very much like actual hardware.

This means you do not have the latency inherent with the processor model. You're also not limited by the power or speed of the processor, but rather the size, or "real estate," of the FPGA. This is why as you instantiate additional FPGA effects there is not an increase of latency like there is with DSP. As you add effects with DSP you're putting more load on the processor and need to increase your buffer size as the processor strains to keep up with the instructions. The size of the FPGA limits the number of instantiations you can have, but whether you're running 1 effect or 30, you still have the same amount of latency (which is just a few samples, vs. a few/many milliseconds with DSP or CPU).

Also, since there's not an issue over-taxing the FPGA like there is a processor. This means the FPGA effects can have more detailed and accurate emulations of individual components on a complex piece of hardware. Though many plug-in manufacturers make marketing claims that they emulate every part of the circuit (like each tube and transformer) in many cases this is not actually happening because it will put too much load on the processor which will increase the latency and make it unusable for real-time. Since the circuit is written on to the FPGA chip, those individual components can be designed into the circuit making for a much more faithful recreation of the hardware it's emulating.

Using FPGA for audio effects is a new and groundbreaking concept, so while you're limited by the amount of real estate on the chip, Antelope is always innovating and improving the efficiency at which the real estate is used. This is evidenced by the massive amount of instantiations you can currently get with the FPGA. When the emulation engine was first introduced it was limited to running only 16 instantiations, but as Antelope continued to forge new ground with this tech you now get about 40 instantiations using that same chip.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion and clarify why FPGA is VERY different than DSP or CPU processors.
Old 8th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Sorry but this is completely wrong. An FPGA is simply one way of implementing a digital transfer function, it's digital in digital out. There is no inherent sonic advantage whatsoever. Are you really trying to imply it is somehow closer to analog hardware due to using an FPGA?
Actually, you are wrong my friend. Is real time performance "not" an audio advantage? Have you heard comb filtering? Is avoiding aliasing "not" and audio advantage?

The FPGA is wired circuitry that performs equally as effectively as the analog components it is designed to replicate, sans any self-noise that you leave out of your new design.
Old 8th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
NO, you are wrong. He is giving a simple demonstration of the technology and how it differs. In fact, he programmed a very fast robotic spider at the end of it and explains how it wouldn't be possible to do via CPU.

Did YOU watch the video?

He goes onto explain how you can do very complex processing on the FPGA and even build your own microprocessor. His explanation about using a microprocessor together with an FPGA is apt for us, as this is how our cabinet models are done (impulse responses calculated inside the CPU, then loaded into the FPGA modeler for realtime performance).

"Predefined processor"= DSP. FPGA=circuit emulation. Meaning accurate replication of HARDWARE. Major difference. Yes, software is run on the FPGA-and the DSP, but to equate the very different approaches to solving an engineering problem or task is flat out wrong.

I worked in digital video as an engineer for nearly 20 years. I was manager of the engineering dept. at Truevision. One of the senior hardware engineers (A well respected scientist named Brian Anderson) came into my office one day to tell me about this exciting new technology called FPGA. This was about 20 years ago. When I asked him why our DSP's couldn't do what the FPGA COULD do, he responded by telling me that the DSP chips we designed for use on our daughterboards (that drove the real time FX on Avid editing solutions) were dedicated to a small narrowly defined set of tasks, and had very limited reassignment potential.

The FPGA on the other hand was something they could reprogram at will to do whatever he wanted it to do. This wasn't just another DSP chip. This was a fundamental shift in how we were able to operate. We were only able to get a DSP to do a limited number of things, such as a cross dissolve, or a fade, or perhaps a basic wipe. Otherwise we had to assign that task to software, and wait for the CPU-which meant less than real time, and made the possibility of using the hardware in broadcast very limited. We had a heavy presence in offline solutions, but online was another barrier no one had broken. In other words, the technology of a DSP was limited. There were plenty of things it could NOT do. There were major limitations.

The FPGA was able to be programmed into any circuit we needed it to become. Now at the time, the FPGA wasn't very complex, and was in it's infancy, but the potential for emulating well established circuits in hardware based on existing designs such as a Grass Valley video switcher, (I am using this as an example as they were VERY expensive, and highly respected) was something we could achieve then, without much effort. It took us a few months to make real time effects that used to reside in hardware only, happen in a tiny daughter card. This was such a game changer that Pinnacle systems who we worked closely with, bought our company, and folded us into their operation, and then was gobbled up by Avid-who also gobbled up Digidesign. DSP=limited. Narrow. FPGA=open. Broad. Infinitely reassignable.

How does this apply to digital audio? Same concept. DSP's run a certain set of code instructions, and while they can do a narrow range of operations, they cannot be reprogrammed into whatever you need it to be with the same result you can get from an FPGA. This was a major game changer in digital video, and made it possible to do a wide array of real time FX that we dreamed of for years in DSP, and could not achieve. It changed the digital Video industry at the time, and I am such a believer that I bought a Goliath HD. I have wrung it out, and beat the living hell out of it. It sounds better than anything I've ever heard. The FPGA based effects sound so good that you have a hard time believing they are not the actual hardware.

As far as ridiculous claims-Antelope Audio hasn't done that by any measure. They have delivered a paradigm shift, just as Truevision did, and with those sorts of events, people get very desperate, and make all sorts of claims that have no basis in fact. The claim that a DSP is equal to an FPGA is simply wrong. If DSP was the answer, it would have been possible for us to design and build a DSP chip that would do what an FPGA would do for us. We couldn't, and chip design was what we specialized in. We couldn't get our DSP to function half as well as an FPGA did. And remember, this was what we did, day in and day out. It was what set us apart. Our boards and daughter cards were the industry standard, and the fact that they commanded 15 grand a pop speaks volumes. We aren't talking about 2017 dollars here. We are talking about 1997. So 20 years have elapsed. How much more circuit can you fit onto a FPGA now? Pretty substantial difference! Is a DSP approach an engineering mistake? No. It's a different way to solve a problem. It does however lock you into a code language, and limits what you can do later as technology advances. An FPGA does exactly the opposite.

My 2 cents.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search