The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 9th June 2017
Quote:
-18dBfs average with peaks in the -10dBfs range is a good starting point
yes that's my settings, -18/-20dBFS (not a beginner for information). You see a meter at the right of each plugin. When you put a little input gain to check the sweetspot on a comp for example, you're already full on the meter...

My unit works well but a lot of troubles: panel control closes itself when I change preset, no indication on meters (a big-18/-20dbFS indication for example with a straight line at this level for all meters, what we just talked about), impossible to set 64 buffer size with my modern PC and Protools 12. Why only four mixers... Totalmix from RME is far far in front of Antelope on this domain (1 mixer for each output, fx on all mixs). I'm a bit disappointed for a 4000$ soundcard. It gives the feeling Antelope know how to make high quality convertors but not high quality soundcards, not the same thing... Hope there will be great updates.

Last edited by Biosynth; 9th June 2017 at 09:43 PM..
Old 12th June 2017
Here for the gear
Monitor section

Marcel,
In the monitor section would it be possible to add a dim (minus x -db) and 2 or three preset buttons?
We could use them as a set volume for loudest modest and flip back and forth with consistency.

Thank you.
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Addict
Marcel / anyone; i´m having some trouble with my HD after firmware updates - not one update in particular, this has happened after a few of them.

After the update, and reinstall, control panel does not launch like it is supposed to. After the first screen (checking for updates), the screen disappears and nothing happens - the panel does not show up and no other screen either. No error messages are shown.
After fiddling with reinstalling launcher and drivers sometimes i get the screen where the device id is supposed to show up, and with the "connect" and one more (admin?) button below. The window where device ID normally shows up here is blank though.

I can play audio from foobar or win-media players, but not open the control panel, and not use the HD in any DAW.

Any idea how to really reset the installation and clear all files and settings from my system, or to get everything running again properly? I´ve noticed that cleaning my system (reinstalling windows for example) helps and doing a fresh install i can get the HD up and running again, but i cant do that every time a FW update comes.

I´m running windows 10 enterprise x64.

(edit: post #303)
Old 13th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Marcel / anyone; i´m having some trouble with my HD after firmware updates - not one update in particular, this has happened after a few of them.

After the update, and reinstall, control panel does not launch like it is supposed to. After the first screen (checking for updates), the screen disappears and nothing happens - the panel does not show up and no other screen either. No error messages are shown.
After fiddling with reinstalling launcher and drivers sometimes i get the screen where the device id is supposed to show up, and with the "connect" and one more (admin?) button below. The window where device ID normally shows up here is blank though.

I can play audio from foobar or win-media players, but not open the control panel, and not use the HD in any DAW.

Any idea how to really reset the installation and clear all files and settings from my system, or to get everything running again properly? I´ve noticed that cleaning my system (reinstalling windows for example) helps and doing a fresh install i can get the HD up and running again, but i cant do that every time a FW update comes.

I´m running windows 10 enterprise x64.

(edit: post #303)
Please address this with Support. This will do two things. You'll have access to their data and they probably have seen what's causing this already and can assist. Also, it helps us learn more from users and make improvements. Not to mention, if it's something our Software Team needs to jump in and view, they can share your screen and investigate.

Thanks,
Marcel
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Please address this with Support. This will do two things. You'll have access to their data and they probably have seen what's causing this already and can assist. Also, it helps us learn more from users and make improvements. Not to mention, if it's something our Software Team needs to jump in and view, they can share your screen and investigate.

Thanks,
Marcel
Yeah, just got the question out to see if someone had experienced the same and could provide quick advice. But i will take it up with them, most likely there is a solution already. Thanks!
Edit: should have contacted support first, instead of pestering the forum. Sorry about that.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Yeah, just got the question out to see if someone had experienced the same and could provide quick advice. But i will take it up with them, most likely there is a solution already. Thanks!
Edit: should have contacted support first, instead of pestering the forum. Sorry about that.
I understand the asking part, I'm just saying to everyone, give our team a chance first, before we all broadcast. First of all, we want you to get proper help and not go on a wild goose chase. Secondly, if we all use the forums for support issues, readers will get the impression there are way more issues than actually exist. People w/o issues don't come up here and say very often "hey, man all is well and this thing works great!". They just work on their projects. It's like the police think everyone's a criminal, because all they deal with everyday is crime. :-) We are in the range now of 10,000 interface users. Clearly, the vast majority are doing quite well.

Just my 2 cents. You can ALWAYS shoot me a PM, as well. I'm here to be the buffer, when I can.
Old 14th June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
I understand the asking part, I'm just saying to everyone, give our team a chance first, before we all broadcast. First of all, we want you to get proper help and not go on a wild goose chase. Secondly, if we all use the forums for support issues, readers will get the impression there are way more issues than actually exist. People w/o issues don't come up here and say very often "hey, man all is well and this thing works great!". They just work on their projects. It's like the police think everyone's a criminal, because all they deal with everyday is crime. :-) We are in the range now of 10,000 interface users. Clearly, the vast majority are doing quite well.

Just my 2 cents. You can ALWAYS shoot me a PM, as well. I'm here to be the buffer, when I can.
I hear you, that´s why i responded as i did. I really don´t want to give the wrong impression - i´ve had nothing but good experiences with your interfaces so far and the HD is a great one; of course i should have checked with support first hand. I will keep that in mind, hopefully there will not be any more issues.
Really appreciate your being helpful in this thread, and will definitely contact you via PM if needed. Thanks!
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Nut

Hi all, I have an issue

I'm running an Antelope 32HD over USB3 into a Mac Pro (mid 2010)

This model mac does not have USB3 on its factory buss so I have a PCIe card installed to provide this.
Is anyone else having to remove, then re-plug in the USB connection after restart to re-establish connection to the Antelope driver in 'sound preferences'?

Antelope technical support have looked at this on two occasions and informed me there is a compatibility issue with the PCIe USB3 card.

Thanks for your time.
Old 18th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmurderer View Post
Hi all, I have an issue

I'm running an Antelope 32HD over USB3 into a Mac Pro (mid 2010)

This model mac does not have USB3 on its factory buss so I have a PCIe card installed to provide this.
Is anyone else having to remove, then re-plug in the USB connection after restart to re-establish connection to the Antelope driver in 'sound preferences'?

Antelope technical support have looked at this on two occasions and informed me there is a compatibility issue with the PCIe USB3 card.

Thanks for your time.
I've seen similar with occasional USB3 connection issues but only with the router software, no problems with the driver for audio. One software I removed which may have helped (and was similarly causing problems with "Touchable" a USB iPad Ableton app) was Duet Display, just flagging in case it helps. See if you have similar?
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Nut

ok thanks. Router software is connecting fine. Just losing touch with the driver (as seen in 'sound preferences') on restart.

I'll rephrase:

Is the Orion 32HD compatible with PCIe USB3 cards? Everything seems to be fine with me except loss of contact with the audio driver on restart. The fix being pulling out the USB and putting it back in again.
Old 7th July 2017
Saturating Tube Compressors LOUD!

The newest Antelope AFX Vintage Compressors can be CRANKED UP to insane levels to provide clean, musical and LOUD saturation. Imagine Tube Saturation, but without any of the downsides (level mismatching, component self noise being boosted, input/output gain amplification noise, etc). This will revolutionize mixing and mastering for modern levels WITHOUT the need to use brick wall limiting. You get the "wall", but you maintain a degree of musicality with extreme loudness previously not possible with digital or analog effects processing.

Old 8th July 2017
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have more 'real world' reports of using the Orion32 HD in place of two Avid I/O 16a x 16a's? Both with an HDX card with ProTools HD and also natively? How do they compare sonically and also how seemless is the integration? Has it been as easy as just switching over the interfaces and plugging them up?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th July 2017
New Compressors Coming (Part 3) LEAK ALERT!!!

Raising the number of Vintage Compressors to 11 (with even more under development), there will be 6 more new compressor models coming soon from Antelope!

There are some absolute CLASSICS on the way, which frankly is going to be mind-blowing when you see the entire list.

Having completely fallen in LOVE with the Gyraf, Tube176, Stay-Levin especially myself, and also making great use of the 903, 160 and ALT, I'm personally very excited about these new ones, many of which I never had the chance to own or use over the years.

The first of the next batch, I'm sharing an image for you right now below! The B6-6A is a magical sounding limiter/compressor that's known for it's color. Finding them in great condition is hard work and expensive. The excitement over the design reminds me of how Igor sounded when he was working on the Lang EQ, to give you and idea of just how great we expect this to sound.

Old 15th July 2017
Gear Addict
Does anyone have experience of using external hardware effect processors together with their Orion32 HD unit (or similar by Antelope)? I´ve checked the manual and it does neither confirm nor deny the possibility.
For example, i would find it most excellent if i could hook up my Elektron Analog Heat to the HD and pour saturation / distortion all over the channels.

Please, don´t be shy - show your configuration to the world!
Old 15th July 2017
The Best Compressor Ever!

The new Antelope BA-6A is the biggest, warmest, thickest tube compressor model I've ever heard. The original is rare, expensive and highly revered and this model completely nails that famous GIGANTICALLY HUGE sound. I absolutely LOVE this compressor. (coming very soon)

Old 19th July 2017
Quote:
Does anyone have experience of using external hardware effect processors together with their Orion32 HD unit (or similar by Antelope)? I´ve checked the manual and it does neither confirm nor deny the possibility.
For example, i would find it most excellent if i could hook up my Elektron Analog Heat to the HD and pour saturation / distortion all over the channels.

Please, don´t be shy - show your configuration to the world!
Of course you can, by using one of the four mixer. Assign its output to your Heat, then return the stereo output to one stereo channel. It will work

For Antelope guys, I ever reported some issues but no news/updates about it.
Also I realised line inputs meters are before inputs trims. It could be smart to put these after trims.
Old 19th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
Of course you can, by using one of the four mixer. Assign its output to your Heat, then return the stereo output to one stereo channel. It will work
Awesome, so much to learn from this device but with help from fellow slutz the goodness reveals itself. Many thanks!
Old 21st July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If it was simply to get 64 ins + 64 outs, the cheapest solution for me would probably be to get the 32HD and then a MADI extender like the Ferrofish A32. But if i were after the highest performance / quality i would def. go for 2 * HD instead, since the s/n and other specs are very impressive and i would like to keep it that way throughout the whole system. But this solution would make a €1000 dent in my wallet and that would be very unpleasant. And i most definately don´t need neither thunderbolt nor usb2, so the choice is simple for me.
The Orion 32HD is very tempting and I'm thinking about it...
Still, I sold my original Orion and replaced it with 2 x Ferrofish A32's and a used SSL Delta Link MADI interface and it's been an excellent, smooth, hassle-free and fairly inexpensive 64 x 64 front end for my PT 12 HD/HDX setup, without having to worry about Antelope's somewhat unintuitive setup menus, or tying up a USB connection. The conversion quality of a new Orion H32 would have to be so good and infinitely superior to the Ferrofish A32's to sway me over. Anyone seriously compared the two?
Old 22nd July 2017
Here for the gear

Will I have any latencies with external hardware inserts if I use PT12 native (non HD native or HDX) ? will it be sample accurate ?
Old 22nd July 2017
Here for the gear
Working Issue

Hi everybody
I have an issue on my Orion 32 HD;
I have a MacBook Pro 2016 with USB-C ports and New Touchbar, and Orion 32 HD doesn't work perfect on it. The sound lose after 2-3 minutes playing but returned if I change sample rate manually in AudioMIDI setup. Sometimes the sound changes to ZZzzzzzZZZzzzz or I hear Stutter sound (Like Buffer Error).
The Antelope Support couldn't help me. I tested more sound cards on my Mac and it was OK, and I tested my Orion 32 HD on other MacBooks without touchbar and it was OK too. I think the problem is on touchbar models.
Could you help me about this issue please?
Ramin Mazaheri
Old 25th July 2017
High Pass the Antelope Compressors

A simple and effective way to create a high pass filter for use with Antelope FPGA realtime compressors. In future releases, things like high pass side chaining and mix/blend knobs will most likely be implemented, but users can use this technique I learned from Mick Guzauski to accomplish a great compressor chain for a full mix. (Song by Jabin Chavez, produced by Bryant Siono)

Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Definitely interested and with HD I/O getting a bit long in the tooth this might be the smart direction to head.
Old 27th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy7 View Post
Definitely interested and with HD I/O getting a bit long in the tooth this might be the smart direction to head.
Just let us know if you have any questions James. Thanks for your interest.
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just let us know if you have any questions James. Thanks for your interest.
Sure, I have a Dangerous monitor ST that is fed an AES output from my 2nd HD I\O. Since there isn't any AES on the Orion what would you suggest? An ADAT to AES conversion?
Old 27th July 2017
Quote:
Sure, I have a Dangerous monitor ST that is fed an AES output from my 2nd HD I\O. Since there isn't any AES on the Orion what would you suggest? An ADAT to AES conversion?
Better would be S/PDIF to AES adaptor. But, I suggest you listen to the mastering grade DA output from the Orion32 HD to Monitor ST before determining you even benefit by going to it digitally. :-)
Old 27th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Better would be S/PDIF to AES adaptor. But, I suggest you listen to the mastering grade DA output from the Orion32 HD to Monitor ST before determining you even benefit by going to it digitally. :-)
Ok, so I can use the Orion as the DAC, and go in analog, that's cool. The only issue I can see is that my computer and converters are 30 feet behind me in a tech closet. So basically whatever is coming out of the Orion is going to a DB25 breakout then to my desk

Last edited by jimmyboy7; 27th July 2017 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 27th July 2017
Quote:
Ok, so I can use the Orion as DAC, and go in alog, that's cool. The only issue I can see is that my computer and converters are 30 feet behind me in a tech closet. So basically whatever is coming out of the Orion is going to a DB25 breakout then to my desk
I see. Well, a quite cool thing about this interface is you have 64 channels using either HD or Native from the DAW. So, 32 can go out the DB25's and 2 more can be routed to the mastering DAC. You then have 16 more that can go to the AFX inside and you still have several streams left over for the various digital connections.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear
Hi,
this is my new and actual scenario. I am using an HD Native Pci-e card in my Mac Pro. I have one Antelope Orion 32HD attached to Port 1 and one AD16X chained with a DA16X and another DA16X chained with the first DA16X. All Apogees are connected to Port 2 of my HD Native and have all the X-HD card inside with firwmare 3.00 (showed as AVID HD I/O) and set as Advanced Routing Mode.
First port see correctly 32 in and out (analog) but I don't understand what happens on Apogee interfaces.
I explain: what I want to do is having 32 HW inserts analog (16 with the Orion and 16 with the Apogees) and 32 analog outs that I'm sending to my Burl summing mixer. I choosed to do that because I want to mix the flavor of both Apogee and Antelope converters.
I also got some digital external efx (Bricasti, Lexicon) that I always correctly used with the AES EBU on both my AD16X chained with the DA16X.
Orion 32 HD is seen as A & B on Pro Tools Hardware Setup, the Apogees are seen as C & D.
My intention is to have from D1 to D16 outs for summing mixer, and C1 to C16 for analog hw inserts.
So here's my issue: if I put an hw insert on a Pro Tools channel (AES EBU in and outs are attached to AD16X and first DA16X chained through the expansion port on my XHD card) to an external DIGITAL efx I don't understand why I need to choose D interface (that has NO AES ATTACHED) instead of C interface (that has AES ATTACHED). Not only: when I have choosed, for example D 3-4 that is the connection to my Bricast (AES EBU) I can't select analog D 3-4 outs!
Why? Am I doing some mistakes? I hope you can help me, I'm going nuts...
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
Hi,
this is my new and actual scenario. I am using an HD Native Pci-e card in my Mac Pro. I have one Antelope Orion 32HD attached to Port 1 and one AD16X chained with a DA16X and another DA16X chained with the first DA16X. All Apogees are connected to Port 2 of my HD Native and have all the X-HD card inside with firwmare 3.00 (showed as AVID HD I/O) and set as Advanced Routing Mode.
First port see correctly 32 in and out (analog) but I don't understand what happens on Apogee interfaces.
I explain: what I want to do is having 32 HW inserts analog (16 with the Orion and 16 with the Apogees) and 32 analog outs that I'm sending to my Burl summing mixer. I choosed to do that because I want to mix the flavor of both Apogee and Antelope converters.
I also got some digital external efx (Bricasti, Lexicon) that I always correctly used with the AES EBU on both my AD16X chained with the DA16X.
Orion 32 HD is seen as A & B on Pro Tools Hardware Setup, the Apogees are seen as C & D.
My intention is to have from D1 to D16 outs for summing mixer, and C1 to C16 for analog hw inserts.
So here's my issue: if I put an hw insert on a Pro Tools channel (AES EBU in and outs are attached to AD16X and first DA16X chained through the expansion port on my XHD card) to an external DIGITAL efx I don't understand why I need to choose D interface (that has NO AES ATTACHED) instead of C interface (that has AES ATTACHED). Not only: when I have choosed, for example D 3-4 that is the connection to my Bricast (AES EBU) I can't select analog D 3-4 outs!
Why? Am I doing some mistakes? I hope you can help me, I'm going nuts...
You do understand that in protools when setting up and assigning hardware inserts you have to use both the corresponding outputs and inputs right? Example assigning a UA-1176 via output 3, you must assign the return via output 3 on the same I/O unit. You can't use output 3 as an example and return via input 7.
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
You do understand that in protools when setting up and assigning hardware inserts you have to use both the corresponding outputs and inputs right? Example assigning a UA-1176 via output 3, you must assign the return via output 3 on the same I/O unit. You can't use output 3 as an example and return via input 7.
I know how to do h/w inserts in Pro Tools. If you read well what i wrote I asked another question. Thanks for the reply anyway!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search