The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Announces Orion32 HD with digiport & USB3 Audio Interfaces
Old 5th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Are you using this on a PC for USB3 use? Or Pro Tools HD via HDX?

It sounds like you need our driver or need to have our Support guys help you optimize your systems. You should be able to use the low buffers.
PC/USB3
If you can't answer to my questions please send them to your support guys and go back to me here, I think these answers will be beneficial for all of us
Old 5th May 2017
AFX Save and Load Procedure

Here's a new video that shows how to use the new AFX Save and Load.

Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear

Hi all,

First thumps up for Antelope... This is exactly what we needed for our new studio.

Still I have some questions for what would be the best solution for us.
We need 64in and out with protools.
1.So, Protools HD Native card + 2 x ORION HD
2.Or, Protools HD Native card + ORION HD and ORION 32+

Even with seeing that the Orion HD and Orion 32+ connect by MADI work sample accuracy together with in protools (what is the MOST important to us, being mixing hybride). I still have my "doubts" or "what if" moment. I can't care the 500euros extra for a second orion HD. What I want is flawless sample accurate I/O setup with protools.

The only difference would be, that I get thunderbolt / usb2 extra (limited 32 i/o) extra with the Orion 32+?

What would you guys do?
Old 10th May 2017
New Compressors posted

Today for the Orion32HD. Update by launching the Control Panel Launcher and then perform the Firmware Update. The compressors are on the Effects page. Let us know if you have any questions.
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Hi all,

First thumps up for Antelope... This is exactly what we needed for our new studio.

Still I have some questions for what would be the best solution for us.
We need 64in and out with protools.
1.So, Protools HD Native card + 2 x ORION HD
2.Or, Protools HD Native card + ORION HD and ORION 32+

Even with seeing that the Orion HD and Orion 32+ connect by MADI work sample accuracy together with in protools (what is the MOST important to us, being mixing hybride). I still have my "doubts" or "what if" moment. I can't care the 500euros extra for a second orion HD. What I want is flawless sample accurate I/O setup with protools.

The only difference would be, that I get thunderbolt / usb2 extra (limited 32 i/o) extra with the Orion 32+?

What would you guys do?
If it was simply to get 64 ins + 64 outs, the cheapest solution for me would probably be to get the 32HD and then a MADI extender like the Ferrofish A32. But if i were after the highest performance / quality i would def. go for 2 * HD instead, since the s/n and other specs are very impressive and i would like to keep it that way throughout the whole system. But this solution would make a €1000 dent in my wallet and that would be very unpleasant. And i most definately don´t need neither thunderbolt nor usb2, so the choice is simple for me.
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Addict
I´m in the process of investing in a controller surface to use as a mixer for Ableton since i really like the feel of knobs and faders as opposed to using a mouse for every single thing i do.

This got me thinking - if there is a possibility to use any kind if controller to adjust faders, eq and all other duties done per channel - when i´m using the Orion HD software mixer? Can it be done? Is someone already doing it, and how?

The ideal would of course be for me to be able to use the same device to adjust the levels etc. both in Abletons´s mixer and with a "flick of a switch" (replace with common favorite expression) do my changes in Antelope´s mixer, for example adjust the send level of AuraVerb on channel 11.

Another idea just surfaced - could some kind of sync or link be applied between the mixers? So that f.ex. a change of value in Antelope channel 1 fader reflects in the same value being applied to the ch1 fader in Ableton?

The mixer i´m looking into at the moment is the Mackie Control Universal Pro, but i might end up with something cheaper Anyway, it would be spectacular to be able to have more hands-on control over the Antelope mixer aswell.

Any ideas?
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Any ideas?
Eucon for Antelope Mixer + FX
Artist series are so cheap on the used market and I have been using Mix and Control for many years. Eucon for the Antelope interface would be the icing on the cake here :-)

Of course simple HUI emulation is also a good start...
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Eucon for Antelope Mixer + FX
Artist series are so cheap on the used market and I have been using Mix and Control for many years. Eucon for the Antelope interface would be the icing on the cake here :-)

Of course simple HUI emulation is also a good start...
Fantastic, so something like the Avid Artist Control V2 (found here: DAW Control Surfaces - Roundup |) would or could do the trick?

I would love to get a confirmation by someone using the setup, or something similar.
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Fantastic, so something like the Avid Artist Control V2 (found here: DAW Control Surfaces - Roundup |) would or could do the trick?

I would love to get a confirmation by someone using the setup, or something similar.
You asked for ideas :-)!

Sadly the current Antelope mixer is not "ported" or coded to couple to any control surface I know of. I was saying - I would love it if it was!
Old 12th May 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
You asked for ideas :-)!

Sadly the current Antelope mixer is not "ported" or coded to couple to any control surface I know of. I was saying - I would love it if it was!
Yeah, i know, misunderstood you first but it became clear after a few reads.
It´s a great idea, i was hoping that something would come up, for example some pro tools surface using the HDX ports, or anything at all, but some things are just bound to stay being hopes and wishes. Anyway, it´s allowed to dream, isn´t it?
I´m really excited about the interface, so far Antelope has exceeded my expectations in many ways - both regarding the quality of the product, customer relations and the regular updates with goodies like new EQ´s, compressors and such - all of them has been top notch products and just keeps adding to the products value.
I feel that i´m ranting here, but to sum it up: i´m very happy with what i´ve got, very impressed when they actually keeps on giving me more of the good stuff now and then - so i don´t want to be yelling about some impossible feature - even if it would be super cool, it´s just the wish of one man and if it could be implemented and had enough value, i´m sure it would have been done already.
Old 15th May 2017
Here for the gear

Must say this looks revolutionary to HD users, like when the Aurora's first came along and we had a great new choice with a swappable card interface (unscrewing it first!)

Can we expect ANY functionality over USB2 for older rigs?

Any loopback vids around? in theory could you have the HD rig (using HDX 1 input 1) orion analogue outs to your desk inputs but also mirror those outputs internally pre output on the Orionhd , routing that mirror into the USB3 side which could then have the 32 inputs to record in maybe logic on a laptop?

Also say i have the two HDX ports connected up, but also the USB3, will the routing allow me to use say 60i/o with the HDX and 4i/o with the USB simultaneously, or any mix and match similar. Can USB output to analogue and HDX output to the same analogue channel i.e. merging say two monitoring streams?

There's so many questions as sorry i've never seen anything work like this before!
Old 16th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 202 View Post
Must say this looks revolutionary to HD users, like when the Aurora's first came along and we had a great new choice with a swappable card interface (unscrewing it first!)

Can we expect ANY functionality over USB2 for older rigs?

Any loopback vids around? in theory could you have the HD rig (using HDX 1 input 1) orion analogue outs to your desk inputs but also mirror those outputs internally pre output on the Orionhd , routing that mirror into the USB3 side which could then have the 32 inputs to record in maybe logic on a laptop?

Also say i have the two HDX ports connected up, but also the USB3, will the routing allow me to use say 60i/o with the HDX and 4i/o with the USB simultaneously, or any mix and match similar. Can USB output to analogue and HDX output to the same analogue channel i.e. merging say two monitoring streams?

There's so many questions as sorry i've never seen anything work like this before!
USB2 works for remote control for older rigs, but not audio. At least not yet.

You can do mirroring, but only on the inputs, the outs must have one source, there's no way to mix or sum those from two daws, unless they are both native and then the OS will do that on Mac. So, for HDX play and then Logic play, I suggest setup up two presets and switching them that way. Unless, you just need monitoring, then you can indeed route them both to one of our mixers and blend them there and route the 2 Mixer Out channels to HP or Monitor out. That would work. Just keep in mind to keep Pro Tools HD and Logic at the same rate to do this trick.
Old 16th May 2017
Quote:
Yes, you can have a 2nd machine sending audio via USB3. But, for now, the HDX ports need to be on the same system, though.
I only found out about the unit yesterday and as a lot of the other people here, it is really impressive, well done!

I am currently building a small, Dolby Atmos premixing room and the Orion 32HD might as well be the unit for it. Some questions though first:

1. I've been thinking about the MTRX and one of the features that is really appealing for my set up is the fact that the two digi-link ports can both be used as "Primary Ports", being used from two different HD rigs. Is Orion 32HD able to do this/ can you see this been implemented in the near future?

2. A second computer could connect to the unit via USB 3.0 and run PT HD software without a HDX or HDN card. That being the case, how is the 32 channel distribution taking place? Can both computers access the analog I/O?

3. Have there been any tests with the older, "Cheesegrater" Mac Pros and the Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe cards?

4. If you ask me, it would be great to have the option of 16 channels of AES I/O, sacrificing 16 analog ones, especially since many modern monitors offer AES connectivity.

5. I'd be really interested to know if anyone is running Dolby Atmos monitoring straight out of the unit.
Old 17th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
USB2 works for remote control for older rigs, but not audio. At least not yet.

You can do mirroring, but only on the inputs, the outs must have one source, there's no way to mix or sum those from two daws, unless they are both native and then the OS will do that on Mac. So, for HDX play and then Logic play, I suggest setup up two presets and switching them that way. Unless, you just need monitoring, then you can indeed route them both to one of our mixers and blend them there and route the 2 Mixer Out channels to HP or Monitor out. That would work. Just keep in mind to keep Pro Tools HD and Logic at the same rate to do this trick.
Thanks for the info, i may have a chance to use one of these today so i'll see how that goes.

The USB2 even in limited form would be useful, I think where you've said people bringing in laptops to your HD studio well you've hit the nail on the head. At the moment USB2 is still used quite a lot from what i see. I suppose a unit of this power is never going to be class compliant is it (no drivers for clients to install?)

Can you run the unit without the control panel, i.e. just the driver for the client so no control?

again so many questions!
Old 17th May 2017
For me, if there was a version of Orion 32HD with:
  • 16 channels of AES (one can always add more analog I/O via the ADAT ports),
  • the ability to use both DigiLink ports to connect in two different PT HD rigs (like DAD AX32/ MTRX),
  • the option of a remote (similar to the one from TC Clarity or the Colin Broad TMC-1) via the USB 3.0,
  • EuCon or HUI control support of the software control (optional not a deal-breaker)
  • and the option of having the two mic pres one one of the D-Subs (software controlled, no need for knobs).

Then I would not think before I bought a unit or two!
Old 17th May 2017
Here for the gear

having a great time with the Orion on test.
Can you clarify one thing? Im on hDX native, IMAC , all setup ok , using oven as master clock. Pro tools seems happy , sounds good. I have a laptop plugged in with Logic USB3 (Orion selected as device) and as soon as I plug that in , the sync changes to USB on the control program, and on the front panel. Oven stays lit on the front. Nothing seems to have changed, Pro Tools doesn't stop (as you'd expect with a clock change ), doesn't sound perceptively differnt.But obviously I'd be concerned something has changed on a sample level. Pull out the USB3 cable and it returns to Oven. Is this expected behaviour?

Also is it correct the Orion can't work connected from the secondary HDX port of say an Omni?
Old 18th May 2017
Quote:
having a great time with the Orion on test.
Can you clarify one thing? Im on hDX native, IMAC , all setup ok , using oven as master clock. Pro tools seems happy , sounds good. I have a laptop plugged in with Logic USB3 (Orion selected as device) and as soon as I plug that in , the sync changes to USB on the control program, and on the front panel. Oven stays lit on the front. Nothing seems to have changed, Pro Tools doesn't stop (as you'd expect with a clock change ), doesn't sound perceptively differnt.But obviously I'd be concerned something has changed on a sample level. Pull out the USB3 cable and it returns to Oven. Is this expected behaviour?

Also is it correct the Orion can't work connected from the secondary HDX port of say an Omni?
Nothing has changed. I've answered this question in many past posts, but the bottom line is, "USB" is only to show you that the rate is changed via the USB application, but the oven is still doing the clocking. You are fine.
Old 18th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Nothing has changed. I've answered this question in many past posts, but the bottom line is, "USB" is only to show you that the rate is changed via the USB application, but the oven is still doing the clocking. You are fine.
Thanks, i hadn't read that, that clarifies but I guess you'll get a few more q's about that. It'd be great maybe to have an Antelope forum somewhere, as your products grow in popularity and complexity there will be a lot of faq's from people like me, the mixer routing before your interfaces for even a seasoned Protools user is something they won't have seen before, the flexibility of these clocks/inputs against Avids very strict setup page, the on chip processing etc. This unit is going to be very very popular.

I think i'll get one, sounded great. If people are interested it worked with 2011 iMac via thunderbolt cal digit hub (usb 3 and then thunderbolt chain out to HD Native avid box), 2014 Retina MacBook pro via USB3 (logic) , with just drivers installed it worked, better to have the router app for ease of use. The loopback from HDX to Logic is going to be very interesting for stems etc. Also worked HD3 via Magma based core and accel replacing 192 and aurora, TDM 10.9.5. Only thing couldn't get was output when chained after Omni through expansion port, recognised but no audio out. Maybe operator error. I've 2 other rigs to test on (HDX and older core system) but I don't doubt it's going to work great

So 3 great setups so far, it's going back today but pretty convinced it'll be the sole interface in one of these setups.
Old 18th May 2017
Quote:
Thanks, i hadn't read that, that clarifies but I guess you'll get a few more q's about that. It'd be great maybe to have an Antelope forum somewhere, as your products grow in popularity and complexity there will be a lot of faq's from people like me, the mixer routing before your interfaces for even a seasoned Protools user is something they won't have seen before, the flexibility of these clocks/inputs against Avids very strict setup page, the on chip processing etc. This unit is going to be very very popular.

I think i'll get one, sounded great. If people are interested it worked with 2011 iMac via thunderbolt cal digit hub (usb 3 and then thunderbolt chain out to HD Native avid box), 2014 Retina MacBook pro via USB3 (logic) , with just drivers installed it worked, better to have the router app for ease of use. The loopback from HDX to Logic is going to be very interesting for stems etc. Also worked HD3 via Magma based core and accel replacing 192 and aurora, TDM 10.9.5. Only thing couldn't get was output when chained after Omni through expansion port, recognised but no audio out. Maybe operator error. I've 2 other rigs to test on (HDX and older core system) but I don't doubt it's going to work great

So 3 great setups so far, it's going back today but pretty convinced it'll be the sole interface in one of these setups.
The Omni expansion port thing may have been because our interface needs to be the master clock when using Loopsync for HDX, which is desirable anyway.
Old 28th May 2017
Hi,
Do you know how to adjust level from an input to an output? If I want to send 75% from an input to an output (not the full 100%level). Hope we don't have to use one of these four mixers (because I need one mixer for each output = 32 mixers)
Old 29th May 2017
After some researchs it seems I can't do that
I have to pass through a mixer, so only four mixs are possible. It was so obvious we can do that, I'm a bit "surprised"...
Old 5th June 2017
More New Compressors Coming!

We're hoping to update you guys again THIS WEEK!!!

Stay-Levin (Gates style)
ALT-436C (Altec style from famous Beatles compressor)

You guys are going to LOVE these!!!
Old 6th June 2017
There is no headroom on your plugs! Only a few db gain and they are clipping.
Please make panel control a real and professional panel control, and see after for your plugs please.
Sorry to be hard, but plugins are not the priority...
Old 6th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
Please make panel control a real and professional panel control, and see after for your plugs please.
Sorry to be hard, but plugins are not the priority...
Just lower the signal going and and don't clip. If you crank up the signal, you have to account for it going in. These are laws of digital and aren't at all unique to us. You can't go past digital zero on any system.

We have many more effects coming and there is NOTHING at all wrong with our headroom. They are completely "professional", users just need to practice signal flow management, as with every other piece of gear.
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
We're hoping to update you guys again THIS WEEK!!!

Stay-Levin (Gates style)
ALT-436C (Altec style from famous Beatles compressor)

You guys are going to LOVE these!!!
Outstanding, Marcel!
Old 8th June 2017
Here for the gear
New Update frozen

I did the new update 2017-06-07.
It now shows
"executing sync_trims..."
and won't give me the control panel.
Old 8th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiorecording View Post
I did the new update 2017-06-07.
It now shows
"executing sync_trims..."
and won't give me the control panel.
Did you use the Launcher or only open the panel? You must use the Launcher on our site to open the panel. If you only updated the Firmware, the older panel won't work. To further clarify. We have a Panel Launcher that you originally downloaded. But, sometimes people put that in their "dock" and then continue to use that. If you do this, you won't be using the Panel Launcher, which checks for panel updates when you open it.
Old 8th June 2017
Here for the gear

Had my new Orion for a week and it's great, sonically right up there + beyond with any of my other hd interfaces, and the USB/HDX mix is mind blowing. I can now for example use logic FX plugs as an insert via the router or play an instrument from ableton routing directly into HDX, no rewire or audio cables... i might keep these new techniques to myself ha...

I've one q waiting for tech support on but can i ask re: the onboard FX could we just have a couple of simple plugins - a trim/gain plug, and a (good) metering plug. Great that i can now route my iTunes out and in through my hardware master chain, also including some of the great onboard plugins but the trims would really help balance stuff out where vintage kit can't handle the full output level and i don't want to do multi mixer routings. Maybe a good quality ISP limiter also!

Not that i've had a problem as yet but the only thing I feel might be a potential flash point in the future is the forcing of firmware updates (without any indication of what is being fixed or whether essential or not). Todays session I went to the router and needed to tweak and was faced with the Firmware update, and couldn't see an option to delay or ignore. so had to do it. 20 minutes. Just saying you might find this annoys a few folks...
Old 9th June 2017
Quote:
Had my new Orion for a week and it's great, sonically right up there + beyond with any of my other hd interfaces, and the USB/HDX mix is mind blowing. I can now for example use logic FX plugs as an insert via the router or play an instrument from ableton routing directly into HDX, no rewire or audio cables... i might keep these new techniques to myself ha...

I've one q waiting for tech support on but can i ask re: the onboard FX could we just have a couple of simple plugins - a trim/gain plug, and a (good) metering plug. Great that i can now route my iTunes out and in through my hardware master chain, also including some of the great onboard plugins but the trims would really help balance stuff out where vintage kit can't handle the full output level and i don't want to do multi mixer routings. Maybe a good quality ISP limiter also!

Not that i've had a problem as yet but the only thing I feel might be a potential flash point in the future is the forcing of firmware updates (without any indication of what is being fixed or whether essential or not). Todays session I went to the router and needed to tweak and was faced with the Firmware update, and couldn't see an option to delay or ignore. so had to do it. 20 minutes. Just saying you might find this annoys a few folks...
Plugins: We're constantly considering more. In the meantime, there are gain knobs on nearly all AFX. You can use these w/o changing EQ bands on one of the EQ's, for example. I don't know if we'll get into extensive metering plugs. There are some great ones out there. I met the Nugen Audio guys at the AES Show in Berlin and they have excellent metering and ISP solutions.

Updates: Next time you start the Launcher and see it start an update, you can press any key and choose a previous version. You can even close and start over, then press any key and rollback to the previous versions.

Happy you're enjoying the unit.
Marcel
Old 9th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
What's the source level? You can't call a lack of headroom without stating what you're inputing level-wise.

If you're trying to push a near 0dBfs signal in there there's nothing that's going to give you a few dB of gain when you're that hot. -18dBfs average with peaks in the -10dBfs range is a good starting point for proper gain staging with 24 bit digital devices.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search