The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatassj View Post
Talkback with updated converters? Sorry, am gear newb here, but if it doesn't take too long, could you quickly explain what that means?
Talkback allows you to communicate with the people you are recording. There's a built in microphone in the Twin MkII and once you push the talkback button the audio from the microphone is sent to the headphones of the ones you are recording.
If you are mostly recording yourself or people in the same room as you it's not such a useful feature.
It can be used for recording scratch tracks however.

Converter refers to the circuits that converts analog audio to digital and digital audio to analog. The converters in the MkII has been upgraded for a better sound quality. But then again, the previous version of the Twin had really good sound too, and I can think of a lot of things to invest in for that money that would make a bigger difference.

I think the MkI is a great buy right now. I'd personally go for that one if I was buying. Then upgrade when the MkII Quad goes down in price perhaps.
Old 8th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
Talkback allows you to communicate with the people you are recording. There's a built in microphone in the Twin MkII and once you push the talkback button the audio from the microphone is sent to the headphones of the ones you are recording.
If you are mostly recording yourself or people in the same room as you it's not such a useful feature.
It can be used for recording scratch tracks however.

Converter refers to the circuits that converts analog audio to digital and digital audio to analog. The converters in the MkII has been upgraded for a better sound quality. But then again, the previous version of the Twin had really good sound too, and I can think of a lot of things to invest in for that money that would make a bigger difference.

I think the MkI is a great buy right now. I'd personally go for that one if I was buying. Then upgrade when the MkII Quad goes down in price perhaps.
That's... pretty cool. I wouldn't use it but that makes me "". And ah, those converters.

Only thing I'm concerned about is how it will sell later down the road. But, should be alright. Would you, if you were an inexperienced user who couldn't tell if anything was wrong, have gotten a used one (Around $500-600) off of Guitarcenter (with software) or a new one at $719? I know it depends on budget, but generally I think we can make these calls.

Anyway, it concerns me because most of the internet says it's fine to buy used interfaces, but I don't even know what to look out for if it's gone faulty within 30 days.

I'm pushing you for answers, but much appreciated, man, thank you.
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Anyway, it concerns me because most of the internet says it's fine to buy used interfaces, but I don't even know what to look out for if it's gone faulty within 30 days.
I wouldn't be worried buying a used one. Those things don't break easily. Just inspect it for any physical damages (wall wart too), and check all the inputs and outputs (wiggle the connectors gently) so that everything is working.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear
Pardon my French, but I believe people who haven't invested in UA plugins yet should steer away, as UA's current system is way past bedtime. A little bird tells me they're working on a profoundly better one.
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Pardon my French, but I believe people who haven't invested in UA plugins yet should steer away, as UA's current system is way past bedtime. A little bird tells me they're working on a profoundly better one.
So this little bird told you that they are about to drop their entire catalog? Right..
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Talkback with updated converters? Sorry, am gear newb here, but if it doesn't take too long, could you quickly explain what that means?

And since I'm a gear newb, I am leaning on the $180-off new MK1's, but hmm, used also sounds good. I feel wary about buying them used though as a noob.
Bought mine new, never had an issues with my twin! The Twin Quad is where it's at, or get a Satelite while they're on sale. The UAD plugins are to die for, don't believe what people say about native. UAD plugins are all that!

Talkback allows you to hit a button and the person in the booth can hear you from their headphones.

Buy a used Twin is that's what your budget calls for.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
I wouldn't be worried buying a used one. Those things don't break easily. Just inspect it for any physical damages (wall wart too), and check all the inputs and outputs (wiggle the connectors gently) so that everything is working.
I see. I'll get guitar center to send a used one from another state to my local for pick up :D.
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Bought mine new, never had an issues with my twin! The Twin Quad is where it's at, or get a Satelite while they're on sale. The UAD plugins are to die for, don't believe what people say about native. UAD plugins are all that!

Talkback allows you to hit a button and the person in the booth can hear you from their headphones.

Buy a used Twin is that's what your budget calls for.
I hear such mixed things about their plug ins, but I'll definitely see for myself on one or two.

And well, I guess buying used just gives me more money for gear :D
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:

And since I'm a gear newb, I am leaning on the $180-off new MK1's, but hmm, used also sounds good. I feel wary about buying them used though as a noob.
Just on the buying used point, these units have been rock solid in use (at least on Mac), and are built pretty solid too. So I would have no concerns about buying them used.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

A friend of mine still has the original first Apollo duo that came out (firewire). It's been through 4 studio moves and is still running strong!
Old 9th February 2017
Here for the gear
I wouldn't be worried about buying used. these things are built like tanks. And for the money I think the MKI used is a great deal right now. I would definitely advise you to get the duo over the solo. I run out of DSP already with the duo
Old 9th February 2017
Gear Guru

Yes the Apollos are built very well.
Old 9th February 2017
Here for the gear
Also one thing I've noticed is the talkback is very sibilant. I ended up throwing an eq on the track just to cut a bunch of 3-5k. not a big deal by any means but was somewhat annoying
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
After the initial excitement, the lack of DSP chip upgrade kinda has me leaning towards other options honestly. I'm wondering how Apogee's "low latency mixer" stacks up against UAD's realtime tracking. For the amount of money to get the quad, seems like there's a decent amount of low/zero latency thunderbolt options these days.
In my experience, with many different Apogee systems, the low latency tracking does work - until you start adding lots of VI's and effects to your project. So you can start out with a light project and track at a buffer size of 32, but as you start to add more and more tracks, especially VI's, the project will start crashing unless you up that buffer setting to at least 128 or even 256.

This is more a function of the DAW, and may vary between different DAWs and CPU's, but I've found it generally to be true. I wouldn't say that Apogee's claims are hyped, but I would say that they are deliberately ignoring this aspect of performance in their advertising.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

I'm digging the > 3dB THD improvements wrt to the outs34 and the headphone out. But has there been any detailed info on the headphone amp section of the mkII? That has always been my biggest gripe with the mkI, the hp amp is a bit lacking on the power department, especially with higher impedance cans..
Old 9th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I'm digging the > 3dB THD improvements wrt to the outs34 and the headphone out. But has there been any detailed info on the headphone amp section of the mkII? That has always been my biggest gripe with the mkI, the hp amp is a bit lacking on the power department, especially with higher impedance cans..
Can't say that I've ever had issues driving my 600 Ohm cans with the Twin. No noticeable distortion really.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can't say that I've ever had issues driving my 600 Ohm cans with the Twin. No noticeable distortion really.
Yes, but can you get enough amplitude?
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear
It's a little bird, so he's talking at low altitude. Right.
Old 10th February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalinec View Post
I wouldn't be worried about buying used. these things are built like tanks. And for the money I think the MKI used is a great deal right now. I would definitely advise you to get the duo over the solo. I run out of DSP already with the duo
I'll take your word! thanks man.
Old 10th February 2017
Quote:
Yes, but can you get enough amplitude?
Yeah, and a bit more to spare. Mine are the old AKG K240M. I usually have problems driving them, but not with the Twin.
Old 10th February 2017
Lives for gear

I've had probs driving my AKG sextetts fwiw. Guess I'm just deaf. But is it safe to assume that pretty much everything wrt the hp amp has been unchanged, aside from the DA I guess.
Old 14th February 2017
Here for the gear

USB-C output

I'm looking forward to getting one of these units one day but can't understand why they didn't make the output of the Apollo MK2 usb-c so you wouldn't need an adaptor to go in between.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
I've had probs driving my AKG sextetts fwiw. Guess I'm just deaf. But is it safe to assume that pretty much everything wrt the hp amp has been unchanged, aside from the DA I guess.
I have a MkI USb and have never gone past 6 on the dial with my Sennheiser 598SE headphones, and the other two sets I have here ( AKG and another Sennheiser). On a finished/mastered mix I'm at 9'oclock on the headphone gain and that's loud. Forget about even getting near the halfway mark without my ears exploding.
Old 16th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I have a MkI USb and have never gone past 6 on the dial with my Sennheiser 598SE headphones, and the other two sets I have here ( AKG and another Sennheiser). On a finished/mastered mix I'm at 9'oclock on the headphone gain and that's loud. Forget about even getting near the halfway mark without my ears exploding.
The 598s are not high impedance headphones however. 600 ohms will require quite a bit of gain on the Apollo. I can still get it to earblasting levels though.
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Ah yeah I didn't see the quad.
Still. The outdated DSP is pretty much being sold at the old price. That's hello cocky if you ask me (I know no one is).
I agree with other posters that they should've just doubled the DSP for the same price. However, that would involve practically admitting that their DSPs are outdated, which is a tricky minefield for manufactorors who use DSPs. I understand that. It's not UA's fault that there's not much advancement. Even Apple didn't have enough pull to advance the PowerPC platform, so they switched to intel.
Now that more and more DSP mixers have switched to running on intel too, I wonder if UAD has painted itself into a corner. They may jump to another architecture like Avid did or be forced to go native. I wish 'em well.
(I'm personally hoping for native with DSP option for on the way in)
I think "hoping" is probably the operative word in the last part of that statement. I was a TC Powercore user before UAD and those plugins have so far never gone native and that was 17 years ago. The platform (TC Powercore is now discontinued).

This Mk2 Apollo is gonna be the best in desktop recording interface in its class, the fact you bet some DSP on there is a bonus. The Black converters are superlative, I own the old Twin plus the new apollo 8 quad and the black converters are smashingly good quality
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmoves View Post
I'm looking forward to getting one of these units one day but can't understand why they didn't make the output of the Apollo MK2 usb-c so you wouldn't need an adaptor to go in between.
Because these are predominantly made for the Mac market with cascading up to six devices on thunderbolt 2 and super high speed at almost zero latency. Windows was always an afterthought for UAD not the primary market. Also I don't think much of the USBC conecter its flimsy, I thought Thunderbolt was bad enough but that has proven to be a good setup, USB3 is unproven in terms of connector durability
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear such mixed things about their plug ins, but I'll definitely see for myself on one or two.

And well, I guess buying used just gives me more money for gear :D
The plugs are great and used on most billboard top 100 records, think Justin Beiber daft punk etc etc
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjonson View Post
Hey,

I bought the old twin at the end of December, wondering if people who have tried the blackface apollos would think it worth me exchanging for the new model as I still have a couple days I can exchange. Though it'll cost me an extra £160 ($200) plus I'll lose the Neve & Fairchild bundles I got on the December deal... only really looking at the converter upgrade.

Probably over thinking this but be interested in your opinions

Thank you
You should be able to sell the twin and retain your plugins in your account.

If you do a lot of synth work in the box and dont record much real stuff I would stick with the silver. If however you record vocals and guitars I would definately do the upgrade, the black converters are some of the finest sounding A/D in the industry right now and out perform the old converters hands down
Old 17th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I've got a question for anyone that has one of these. With the build in talk back, what happens if I start monitoring the headphone send in the control room and then activate the talk back? Am I going to hear the talkback through my monitors and get feedback? Right now with my twin, my headphone amp and distributor has built in talkback so it's not a problem as I'll never hear the mic in the control room.
You should be able to route the talk back mic to the HP outputs so no it wouldnt come through the main room monitors
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I think it's because AU is stuck with a generation of DSPs that are long past due for an upgrade but they are not ready to upgrade to a new generation (for whatver reason, maybe the chip is not ready get, maybe what's on offer is not good enough an upgrade, maybe they'll have to crossgrade, whatever).

Whatever the reason is, I think it's tied to why they are still selling the old DSP part of their current interfaces at the same price point. They've halved the price point once before, I think when they announced the Octo, but I think they should do it again. They wouldn't have to necessarily release a 16 core, if it's just to hold out to the next generation of DSP.
The potential problem I see is this: what if the next generation of DSPs are priced much higher? So high that they can't even maintain their current product pricing?
Then it's gonna look extra bad when the new cards arrive if the current ones were half price.
This is all a bit of speculation on my part of course, but I've been thinking about this a bit of late. Trying to figure out not what they want to do, but what they can do. It'll be interesting to find out what they'll end up doing.
I think, going forward it will be best for everyone if they continue to allow for DSP and maybe even launch a new generation of DSP, but that they also allow them to run natively. So users can choose how to run them, just like in Avid land.
But that's been discussed and I'm not looking to get lynched here

This is just my reasoning of how UA may NEED to keep their current price range, even if it's hard to justify. Time will tell.
In your opinion then why do you think UAD need to upgrade their DSP?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search