The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd January 2017
Pno
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Not to rain on an Apollo thread, but I went Element lol. Got a good deal, don't need UAD plugins, converter specs seemed a touch better, and i'd rather be able to control volume from my keyboard than knobs since it's for a mobile setup.
Yeah, that looks nice...XLR outs, Optical out, and Work Clock...three serious drawbacks to the Apollo...also agree that it's a pain the monitor out can't also be controlled from the keyboard...I was on a Duet and Motu for the last 10 years, I still try change the volume with the keyboard, then remember I have to reach over to the Apollo.

One big bonus is the unison technology though...still think I will keep the Apollo for that reason alone...I had just bought the Mark I, on the fence whether to send it back to upgrade to the MKII or go elsewhere...I have a satellite, been on UAD for years...nice to have it all in one unit though.
Old 23rd January 2017
Pno
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsmix View Post
YES. I have no use for the optical input (does anyone here actually use it?) but can think of several things I could do with an optical OUTput. I guess in their "complete redesign" they forgot about the rear panel; there's room their for more connectivity but there isn't any.
I use it to ADAT my old interface (MOTU 828) and my patch-bay is linked in with the Motu...not a bad setup, a poor man's Apollo 8 maybe.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Head

Has anyone had any luck haggling on the price of Apollo hardware with their vendor (i.e. Sweetwater, Vintage King, others)? Or is the MAP usually what people are paying?
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBell View Post
Has anyone had any luck haggling on the price of Apollo hardware with their vendor (i.e. Sweetwater, Vintage King, others)? Or is the MAP usually what people are paying?
Depending on your rep and how nice you are to them, I've had great luck with the GC Pro department. You need to go in and talk directly with the guy that's in charge in your area and set up an account with him/her and actually buy a few things. In my case, I was running a studio with a few other guys when I started my account with them. At the very least, we were dropping a few $1000 every month, so he would generally give me 10%-15% off bigger buys or more expensive items. In Guitar Center's case, they know you can wait around and get that discount when they do one of their countless sales every year. It's good business for them and I've saved a crap load of money over the years, more than I ever did with Sweetwater or Vintage King.

I know it's easy to give GC a hard time because a lot of the people that work there don't know anything and don't care, but most of the guys in the Pro department are studio owners and got that job because they have a lot of connections in the area and bring clients with them. They've always been extremely knowledgable in my experience and bend over backwards to help me out, especially with last minute stuff.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

I think Pro Audio Star is notorious for haggling on stuff like Apollos. I got a pretty steep discount on my recent Focusrite Clarett 8PreX. They also gave me a good deal on a new Mackie 1202 VLZ4.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict

Soo..how much cheaper will the old ones be now?
Old 24th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalb View Post
Soo..how much cheaper will the old ones be now?
They lowered the price a while before the release. You'll get the Duo for $719 and the Solo for $559.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
They lowered the price a while before the release. You'll get the Duo for $719 and the Solo for $559.
Hopefully there will be some good deals on used ones in the near future.
Old 24th January 2017
So...this is thunderbolt only for mac? :(

That means I have to get a new mac with thunderbolt....thats even more money. I'll have to pass on this one :(
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Beats View Post
So...this is thunderbolt only for mac? :(

That means I have to get a new mac with thunderbolt....thats even more money. I'll have to pass on this one :(
Nope.

All UA Apollo Thunderbolts are both Windows 10 and Mac compatible at this point.
Old 24th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Nope.

All UA Apollo Thunderbolts are both Windows 10 and Mac compatible at this point.
What I meant was thunderbolt was the only i/o option.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
What I meant was thunderbolt was the only i/o option.
Yup. I think it will make more sense in the next 6 to 12 months as more and more Thunderbolt PCs are available and sold. UA is a little ahead of the curve right now, which is a good thing.
Old 24th January 2017
Won't make much sense for me...I just built 2 computers recently :(. Z97 and a X99.

The only thunderbolt i/o i have is my macbook pro and imac, but I know they aren't thunderbolt 3 :(
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Won't make much sense for me...I just built 2 computers recently :(. Z97 and a X99.

The only thunderbolt i/o i have is my macbook pro and imac, but I know they aren't thunderbolt 3 :(
It's thunderbolt 2 though: -)
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

if UAD is trolling the online forums could they post the roundtrip latency? is it the same spec as the apollo 8p?
Old 25th January 2017
"That means I have to get a new mac with thunderbolt"

Good luck with that, Apple is done with Thunderbolts 1 and 2.
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:

This world hates me.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

These Apollo mkii are still TB2. I'm considering getting a high spec MB pro 2013 to use with one of these. I wouldn't buy any new MB with only TB3 and a stupid splitter hanging out of it for connections. I'll also wait for UA to throw in a plugin bundle incentive after the sales drop off on these.
Old 25th January 2017
Thunderbolt

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq

Is Thunderbolt 3 backwards compatible with Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2?

Yes, solutions and products built to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 specifications will work with Thunderbolt 3 via an adapter.

Why did Thunderbolt 3 move to the USB-C connector?

Thunderbolt 3 needed a new connector to achieve 40Gbps and fit into smaller form factor devices. With the USB-C connector allowing for alternate modes, it made sense to bring Thunderbolt to this connector and create a superset solution that supports both Thunderbolt and USB.

What is the difference between Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C?

Thunderbolt 3 is a superset solution which includes USB 3.1 (10Gbps), and adds 40Gbps Thunderbolt and DisplayPort 1.2 from a single USB-C port. This enables any dock, display, or data device to connect to a Thunderbolt 3 port, fulfilling the promise of the USB-C connector. See more information on the Thunderbolt Blog
- See more at: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/te....CIeZPoSH.dpuf
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq

Is Thunderbolt 3 backwards compatible with Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2?

Yes, solutions and products built to Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 specifications will work with Thunderbolt 3 via an adapter.

Why did Thunderbolt 3 move to the USB-C connector?

Thunderbolt 3 needed a new connector to achieve 40Gbps and fit into smaller form factor devices. With the USB-C connector allowing for alternate modes, it made sense to bring Thunderbolt to this connector and create a superset solution that supports both Thunderbolt and USB.

What is the difference between Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C?

Thunderbolt 3 is a superset solution which includes USB 3.1 (10Gbps), and adds 40Gbps Thunderbolt and DisplayPort 1.2 from a single USB-C port. This enables any dock, display, or data device to connect to a Thunderbolt 3 port, fulfilling the promise of the USB-C connector. See more information on the Thunderbolt Blog
- See more at: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/te....CIeZPoSH.dpuf

Does that mean I can buy a USB-C card for my desktop and plug that in there?

Something like this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:

Something like this?

That's beyond my level of expertise, I'm afraid.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Head
I got an original Twin Solo and i must say, as many pointed out, it'd be nice to have Duo and Quad replace Solo and Duo versions (with the same price tag).
Although it’s no good crying over spilt milk so i'm quite happy they kept solo version. I have never implemented UA plugins into my workflow (with few exceptions which i can find in Analog Classics bundle) but i really appreciate stability for live sessions and low latency with thunderbolt. I've played dozen of live shows with Twin and it has never let me down. And if i got a chance to buy Twin i'll go with the cheapest version which is the point why i think it's good to have Solo option.
Although before i make my judgment i'd really love to hear it and see if there's any big improvements when it comes to the sound that's coming out of the new Twin. Also i'm curious is there's any step up with the headphone out as a lot of times i'm working on headphones.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Something like this?

My understanding is that Thunderbolt has to be natively supported by the motherboard, and cannot be added on with cards.
Old 25th January 2017
Not the entire world, just Apple.
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:
My understanding is that Thunderbolt has to be natively supported by the motherboard, and cannot be added on with cards.
Interestingly, Slate's implementation of Thunderbolt on a Windows PC is a PCI card of their own brand, doing Thunderbolt through an HDMI cable, which is much cheaper than a Thunderbolt cable. Oh, and the card and cable are included with every VRS box whether you have a PC or a Mac (with Thunderbolts 1 or 2).
Old 25th January 2017
I guess that counts me out of the running for Apollo interfaces, unless they come out with a Firewire/PCI-E option.
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:
Interestingly, Slate's implementation of Thunderbolt on a Windows PC is a PCI card of their own brand, doing Thunderbolt through an HDMI cable, which is much cheaper than a Thunderbolt cable. Oh, and the card and cable are included with every VRS box whether you have a PC or a Mac (with Thunderbolts 1 or 2).

Let's wait and see how smoothly that all runs with their drivers etc. Not saying it won't but I'm waiting to see real world experiences.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not a computer builder or expert but UA claims you need a haswell chipset and skylake processor for their support on PC via USB C. I've heard people say as far back as 2-3 years that they have run silverface Apollo on TB on certain TB equipped mother boards such as Asus etc with no problems but UA definitely isn't doing tech support or endorsing that. I have a two year old PC build that I did with TB board and I feel screwed by the manufacturers. I might order the twin though to use with a MacBook Pro and see if I'm one of the lucky systems that will work with my asus 97 Deluxe tower.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Let's wait and see how smoothly that all runs with their drivers etc. Not saying it won't but I'm waiting to see real world experiences.
This is a very good idea. Their USB3 Twin is still not working with most driver chipsets, and there is no announced effort to make that update a priority. Very frustrating for those of us that already own the USB3 version.
Old 25th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Pretty sure the PCIe card and hdmi don't transit à TB stream. It is a PCIe solution as an alternative to TB.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search