The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 21st January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Universal Audio is you're listening. Two words: OPTICAL OUT!
YES. I have no use for the optical input (does anyone here actually use it?) but can think of several things I could do with an optical OUTput. I guess in their "complete redesign" they forgot about the rear panel; there's room their for more connectivity but there isn't any.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsmix View Post
YES. I have no use for the optical input (does anyone here actually use it?) but can think of several things I could do with an optical OUTput. I guess in their "complete redesign" they forgot about the rear panel; there's room their for more connectivity but there isn't any.
It can be added by bla for another 400$. Might as well get the Apollo 8 at that price point, but I believe that's madi. I have all of them. I was praying they would do us a solid, and let the twin guys get something extra to play with. "Apollo twin Pro" since their releases are starting to remind me of Apple lol. Seriously if you already have a 1u rack unit they should let you send in your twin and put in an optical out adat.

People who buy ensemble compete with people who buy Apollo 8s... that's a niche market

People who buy 16s buy it because they want more tracking numbers, with top of the line converters. They have the top of the line monitor station. Madi digital ins and out, sidecars... you name it, or a thunderbolt addition to something like the 8, or 8p

People who buy twins only need 8 ins for synthesizers, etc... the beauty about this market is UAD can snatch up users that don't want or care about UAD, but introduce them, and get them addicted to sharc chips. Simply gain new customers. This has to be a major oversight. I'm sure there's more research to be made, but at the surface, what a no brainer..... free money, if you ask me, for drilling one more hole on the back of the unit? I mean that hole probably cost less than their demo video.
Old 21st January 2017
Quote:
It can be added by bla for another 400$.
As far as I know that's only a mirror of the 1/2 output so it doesn't add any output channels only lets you tap in to the digital stream.

I do think that the majority prefer to have optical in rather than out. Having ADAT in allows you to add an 8 channel ADAT pre for recording drums or even a full band without having to invest in a rack Apollo. Far less people would have use for more outputs.
But having both would be great, I agree with that.

I use the ADAT inputs all the time. That was one of the selling points with the Twin for me. I even use it for live mixing at a small venue, works great!
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
As far as I know that's only a mirror of the 1/2 output so it doesn't add any output channels only lets you tap in to the digital stream.

I do think that the majority prefer to have optical in rather than out. Having ADAT in allows you to add an 8 channel ADAT pre for recording drums or even a full band without having to invest in a rack Apollo. Far less people would have use for more outputs.
But having both would be great, I agree with that.

I use the ADAT inputs all the time. That was one of the selling points with the Twin for me. I even use it for live mixing at a small venue, works great!
Cool that you use the in, but think big! Why not both? I'm not talking about one over the other. I'm talking about gaining new customers and practicality by adding an optical out... so If that was a selling point to you about how it would effect others in the opposite spectrum. They'd be happy just as happy as you felt for a mere IN
Old 21st January 2017
News Desk Editor

Old 21st January 2017
There are also a lot of professionals who like these so they can take a DAW with them in a carry bag, which is difficult to do with anything rack mounted. I wouldn't need an optical out on the road, but my studio monitors have a digital input that I'd really like to use instead of their analog inputs, when I'm back home.

Quote:
It can be added by bla for another 400$. Might as well get the Apollo 8 at that price point, but I believe that's madi. I have all of them. I was praying they would do us a solid, and let the twin guys get something extra to play with. "Apollo twin Pro" since their releases are starting to remind me of Apple lol. Seriously if you already have a 1u rack unit they should let you send in your twin and put in an optical out adat.

People who buy ensemble compete with people who buy Apollo 8s... that's a niche market

People who buy 16s buy it because they want more tracking numbers, with top of the line converters. They have the top of the line monitor station. Madi digital ins and out, sidecars... you name it, or a thunderbolt addition to something like the 8, or 8p

People who buy twins only need 8 ins for synthesizers, etc... the beauty about this market is UAD can snatch up users that don't want or care about UAD, but introduce them, and get them addicted to sharc chips. Simply gain new customers. This has to be a major oversight. I'm sure there's more research to be made, but at the surface, what a no brainer..... free money, if you ask me, for drilling one more hole on the back of the unit? I mean that hole probably cost less than their demo video.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are also a lot of professionals who like these so they can take a DAW with them in a carry bag, which is difficult to do with anything rack mounted. I wouldn't need an optical out on the road, but my studio monitors have a digital input that I'd really like to use instead of their analog inputs, when I'm back home.
All of the above. This unit could have been the god of portable interfaces
Old 21st January 2017
I just sent a note to Black Lion asking if they could do just the optical mod (obviously they see the merit in this) a la carte. I don't want the audio mods.
Old 21st January 2017
Quote:
All of the above. This unit could have been the god of portable interfaces
Yep! I hope they're listening–seems like it's a lost opportunity for them. I can't remember if anyone else has said this, but it REALLY needs at least one more headphone output! I'm specifying a Little Labs Monotor to get one more discrete headphone amp and/or mix from the line output.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just sent a note to Black Lion asking if they could do just the optical mod (obviously they see the merit in this) a la carte. I don't want the audio mods.
Thanks for doing the leg work. Report back when you get word please
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Adat I and O and I would have given it a shot.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Maybe a dumb question but would there be any difference between the drivers or compatibility between the old and new units. Looks like it's still thunderbolt 2. Only asking because I know a few people have had some luck with PC compatibility on older motherboards with thunderbolt. I have a PC I built two years ago with tb and would love to get lucky even if it's not listed as supported by UA. Then again maybe I'll just get the new slate vrs8 system.
Old 22nd January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simppu View Post
Oh nice, might consider TB afterall if that's the case.

And this one has 2 slots:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (rev. 1.0)
i have the same motherboard and built a dualboot hackintosh recently. works on both WIN and OSX with my twin. best decision ive ever made.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Wow , it seems like a great device with it's monitor controller abilities at a great price; the optical in further makes use of it's "head of the chain" designation i.e. any 8 channel device can be added when tracking drums etc.

I'd wager that this unit will suit at least 90% of non full on pro studio environments; we can all wish it had more but really it looks like a great unit pitched to the project market but with pro sonics.

I'd be seriously interested if my MH ULN-2 ever took a dive.

Regards, Ross
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

The Twin Quad is just what doctor ordered! Only problem is the Satelite's are on sale so I'll have to grab one of those first!
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Head

I was planning to get an Apollo Twin but comparing the pricing of the quad Twin to the Antelope Zen Tour it's hard to see how UA justifies the price point. For someone who isn't already invested in UA hardware or plugins, the Zen tour seems to offer a lot more value for two hundred bucks more. Especially considering that UA's goal with the hardware is to sell you plugins. UA Twin may be competitive under the $1,000 price point but I think they mis-judged the market between $1k-$2k. Just my opinion, but the quad Twin should really be priced at something like $999.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBell View Post
but the quad Twin should really be priced at something like $999.
I agree! The only reason I'm considering the quad is because I can sell the Twin mk1 I have now.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was planning to get an Apollo Twin but comparing the pricing of the quad Twin to the Antelope Zen Tour it's hard to see how UA justifies the price point.
I think it's because AU is stuck with a generation of DSPs that are long past due for an upgrade but they are not ready to upgrade to a new generation (for whatver reason, maybe the chip is not ready get, maybe what's on offer is not good enough an upgrade, maybe they'll have to crossgrade, whatever).

Whatever the reason is, I think it's tied to why they are still selling the old DSP part of their current interfaces at the same price point. They've halved the price point once before, I think when they announced the Octo, but I think they should do it again. They wouldn't have to necessarily release a 16 core, if it's just to hold out to the next generation of DSP.
The potential problem I see is this: what if the next generation of DSPs are priced much higher? So high that they can't even maintain their current product pricing?
Then it's gonna look extra bad when the new cards arrive if the current ones were half price.
This is all a bit of speculation on my part of course, but I've been thinking about this a bit of late. Trying to figure out not what they want to do, but what they can do. It'll be interesting to find out what they'll end up doing.
I think, going forward it will be best for everyone if they continue to allow for DSP and maybe even launch a new generation of DSP, but that they also allow them to run natively. So users can choose how to run them, just like in Avid land.
But that's been discussed and I'm not looking to get lynched here

This is just my reasoning of how UA may NEED to keep their current price range, even if it's hard to justify. Time will tell.
Old 22nd January 2017
Quote:
I was planning to get an Apollo Twin but comparing the pricing of the quad Twin to the Antelope Zen Tour it's hard to see how UA justifies the price point. For someone who isn't already invested in UA hardware or plugins, the Zen tour seems to offer a lot more value for two hundred bucks more.
I looked into the Zen Tour before choosing to go with the Twin. You should do some research because the Antelope drivers appear to be terrible and some basic things like delay compensation for the onboard fx seem off. May just be a few people grumbling, but you should look into it.
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Head

Absolute perfect timing for me! I'll be definitely getting one of these!
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I looked into the Zen Tour before choosing to go with the Twin. You should do some research because the Antelope drivers appear to be terrible and some basic things like delay compensation for the onboard fx seem off. May just be a few people grumbling, but you should look into it.
Yeah, I'm not sold on the Zen Tour and may still go with a Twin. I'll definitely research some more. The good thing is that there's some pretty strong competition and UA is going to have to eventually address price points and processing power.
Old 22nd January 2017
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sold on the Zen Tour and may still go with a Twin. I'll definitely research some more. The good thing is that there's some pretty strong competition and UA is going to have to eventually address price points and processing power.
I was highly critical of UA in the past - I don't like dongles and I run a native system and love the flexibility of native. That being said, when faced with replacing my Saffire 56 with the best 2 channel interface I could find, there really isn't any other choice for my uses on PC. Metric Halo is years behind and don't have windows drivers yet ( they've been trying to upgrade their software for like 4 years now), so they're out. Prysm doesn't allow you to track through FX and is wildly expensive for what it is, Audient Id22 has bad pc drivers and the Babyface Pro doesn't have dynamics processing, which was the deal breaker for me.

The Twin has it DSP limits, but even with those limits you get a better product because you can track/monitor/print through top tier plugins with zero latency - which, until you've done it, really changes the entire experience of recording guitar and vocals. I'll never go back to any system that doesn't allow this and UA has it perfectly implemented as far as the tracking side of this goes. Is it a bummer that I can't slap 100 of their plugins all over a mix due to DSP limits, yes, but the interface still provides you way more functionality than all the others.
Old 22nd January 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
The good thing is that there's some pretty strong competition and UA is going to have to eventually address price points and processing power.
THIS!!!
I'd also add that if UA doesn't announce actual "innovative" new product/s within the next 9-12 months, they will definitely see a drastic drop off in sales across the board. Perhaps something new along the lines of PT HD, far more superior/efficient DSP chips, or some incredible software/hardware combo unit. There's many other ideas...... My point is with huge announcements at 2017 Winter NAMM from competitors like Slate, Antelope, Lynx, just to name a few, I'm sure there's lots of Apollo and UAD users like myself (2 Apollo SF Quads) that were left totally underwhelmed by UA's announcements or lack thereof!
Am I the only one?
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

The Apollo Quad isn't bad as far as power. I'm running 3 cores but would love 4 cores! I've learned to love the likes of the Neve 1073 legacy, Fairchild 670 and the La3a which replaced my 1176 mkll and Pultec collection, but actually sounds better to me.

I didn't want to hear it when some other guys mentioned it in another thread, but you don't have to use all mkll plugins.

The legacy Neve is probably the best EQ I've ever used! Recently buying the Unison Pre73 I got the 1073 with it for free and they are both so bestiful sounding.

So my plans are to to get a quad Thunderbolt Satelite(while on sale) then pickup a quad Twin or rack Apollo.

That'll be at least 8 cores which will be more than enough if I'm mixing with 3 cores now
Old 23rd January 2017
Pno
Gear Maniac
Can the extra buttons switch the clock source?
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Maniac
i hope they open the talkback section of Console to allow the feature for other Apollo units. love my newApollo 8, but man having an assignable function button but no talkback is a huge bummer.
Old 23rd January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I was highly critical of UA in the past - I don't like dongles and I run a native system and love the flexibility of native. That being said, when faced with replacing my Saffire 56 with the best 2 channel interface I could find, there really isn't any other choice for my uses on PC. Metric Halo is years behind and don't have windows drivers yet ( they've been trying to upgrade their software for like 4 years now), so they're out. Prysm doesn't allow you to track through FX and is wildly expensive for what it is, Audient Id22 has bad pc drivers and the Babyface Pro doesn't have dynamics processing, which was the deal breaker for me.

The Twin has it DSP limits, but even with those limits you get a better product because you can track/monitor/print through top tier plugins with zero latency - which, until you've done it, really changes the entire experience of recording guitar and vocals. I'll never go back to any system that doesn't allow this and UA has it perfectly implemented as far as the tracking side of this goes. Is it a bummer that I can't slap 100 of their plugins all over a mix due to DSP limits, yes, but the interface still provides you way more functionality than all the others.
Metric Halo has never had PC support, so they're not far behind. They simply don't support PCs. They will with the new 3d upgrade (even class compliant for ipads)

I'd serious consider switching from my uln-2 to the quad if it had been priced at 1k. That said, the UA plugins are definitely attractive versus the more "vanilla" ones in MH DSP but lack of adat out is a bit of a killer for several reasons, ranging from more outs to connecting to a DC coupled interface for interfacing with modular.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgordito View Post
Metric Halo has never had PC support, so they're not far behind. They simply don't support PCs. They will with the new 3d upgrade (even class compliant for ipads)

I'd serious consider switching from my uln-2 to the quad if it had been priced at 1k. That said, the UA plugins are definitely attractive versus the more "vanilla" ones in MH DSP but lack of adat out is a bit of a killer for several reasons, ranging from more outs to connecting to a DC coupled interface for interfacing with modular.
You'd get a ton plugins when you register your new hardware.

They are all expensive if you look at the input and output ratio compared to others. My $900 stereo input Twin has been worth every penny!
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Does anyone that has one have anything to say about the new converters? I'm still using my Duet 2 as my portable interface, and I'm primarily looking at TB to reduce latency. DSP is not a big deal for me since I have plenty of software alternatives and can live with the included bundle. Right now, I'm having an Apogee Element vs Twin mkII debate...
Having that same debate.
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Having that same debate.
Not to rain on an Apollo thread, but I went Element lol. Got a good deal, don't need UAD plugins, converter specs seemed a touch better, and i'd rather be able to control volume from my keyboard than knobs since it's for a mobile setup.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search