The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Been generally tracking single intruments/vocalists these days. Is it still worth going quad? I'm not sure how deep in the UAD plugin hole i'm going to dive...
Debatable. Most people will do fine with two chips for tracking those kind of things. On the other hand, most people also get addicted to the UAD plugins and want to use them for mixing. So..
Old 19th January 2017
While it's labeled Quad DSP, it may be that it has simply two twice as powerful DSP chips. Not sure if this is possible in SHARC world but would explain why you can run the guitar sim w/ other FX per unison input. Just an idea.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahttzmcisneros View Post
So does this indeed have the electronics from the black face apollo?
I think we should get this clarified. The new product page makes it sound like a complete overhaul but the specs don't really suggest that. Certainly the numbers aren't as good as the Apollo 8 and 8p. It's quite possible the manual is wrong.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
I think we should get this clarified. The new product page makes it sound like a complete overhaul but the specs don't really suggest that. Certainly the numbers aren't as good as the Apollo 8 and 8p. It's quite possible the manual is wrong.
I sure hope it's the manual. I was ready to pull the trigger on this
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Makes perfect sense not to cannibalize its bigger brothers and sisters.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahttzmcisneros View Post
I sure hope it's the manual. I was ready to pull the trigger on this
Fab just stated on the webcast that it has the same preamps as the blackface rack units. I didn't hear anything other than that...
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Does this Apollo twin still only control an Apollo rack or can it Be the monitor io? I have a silver face rack and would love the new converters but still utilize my Apollo rack for ad and extra unison preamps. It'd be great to only unplug the twins tb cable when I needed my rack to go mobile. please tell me this was fixed
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

It's standalone unit, but can also be joined to a larger uad system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
Does this Apollo twin still only control an Apollo rack or can it Be the monitor io? I have a silver face rack and would love the new converters but still utilize my Apollo rack for ad and extra unison preamps. It'd be great to only unplug the twins tb cable when I needed my rack to go mobile. please tell me this was fixed
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
I have the silver face twin, 8 and 16. The twin is already capable of being the monitor section, I use it as my monitor out.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Nut

Damn, just bought the Twin Duo 3 weeks ago. Am I missing much compared to this new one?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevice View Post
I have the silver face twin, 8 and 16. The twin is already capable of being the monitor section, I use it as my monitor out.
I'm debating whether to get a great deal on the old version twin and Apollo rack vs the new version of both. I think I'd save about $1000 on the old and only loose talkback and monitor functions and the so touted new A/D
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopablo View Post
Damn, just bought the Twin Duo 3 weeks ago. Am I missing much compared to this new one?
Chances are you can return it (who did you buy it from?). If you just got it, then yes I think it's worth it to go with the new one.
Old 20th January 2017
A 2 channel digital output of some flavor that can bus the main monitor mix out to speaker systems with digital inputs (ex. Genelec xxxxA speakers).
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parografik View Post
I'm afraid to ask you if you answer with things like "hello cocky," BTW. I didn't pay enough attention in German 101.
I don't quite know what you mean, nor do I understand why you are talking about German. But it looks like my iPhone auto-corrected 'hella' into 'hello'. What I meant by 'hella cocky' was that I think it's arrogant of UA to be be selling the UAD2 chips at the same prices as last generation's hardware in this day and age. I think that's backed up by the release Slate just did. I know UA probably have no choice because there's no viable chip to upgrade to, but it still comes across as cocky.
I think if UA didn't realise they had painted themselves into a corner, they sure do now. If the Slate system can only match similarly priced UAD Apollo systems on a low end current i7 (say a dual core) system whilst sounding competitive, I think he will have brought his (and my) point more than home. If it's only able to match it using a current mid level i7 system (say a quad), the point will still be valid. I have the feeling it will and considerably more than that.
Of course any native system will at some point crumble to a halt, but if it does that long after it has matched a maxed out DSP system at lowest buffer, it is per definition better. Of course native has some challenges there still because many plugins currently do not perform well at lowest buffer. But it's obvious that processors now have headroom enough to make this possible for most plugins.

So be happy with your UAD systems. They have been valid for a long time and they can remain to be valid for some time more. It's great quality stuff. But if it's going to be possible in the future to get similar or BETTER results using a native system, wouldn't almost every UAD user be open to that possibility? If you could keep your UAD-2 systems and at some point choose whether you run your UAD plugins on the DSPs or natively, would you not be even happier than you were before? I can't see why not.

That's my point. I'm not saying your past and present with UAD-2 isn't bright.
I'm suggesting your future will be brighter in a UAD DSP/Native hybrid world.
I think Slate's move shows the possibility of that. I'm sure UA will look at that and if they haven't been already (I expect they have) will be at least investing some R&D into exploring that possibility.
Again, not trying to troll this thread, but I think Slate's announcement deserved a little update from me, plus I don't see your reply until now.
So from me it's: Cool new UAD interfaces, I wish you luck with them and I'm rooting for a DSP/Native hybrid approach from UA in the future.
I think there are many with me, both current UAD users and non UAD users (like me). Peace!
Hurrah for DSP! Hooray for Native!
Old 20th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I think if UA didn't realise they had painted themselves into a corner, they sure do now. If the Slate system can only match similarly priced UAD Apollo systems on a low end current i7 (say a dual core) system whilst sounding competitive, I think he will have brought his (and my) point more than home. If it's only able to match it using a current mid level i7 system (say a quad), the point will still be valid. I have the feeling it will and considerably more than that.
I think it's WAY too premature to say that Slate has made onboard DSP obsolete - let's wait and see how the system performs out here in the real world. I take promotional materials and videos with a huge grain of salt.

If they can deliver what he is saying, monitoring realtime through his plugins with NO perceivable latency through his interface then UAD will definitely have to adjust it's strategy and pricing, which will of course benefit everyone.

I just bought a Twin USB a few weeks ago and I can tell you without hesitation that being able to track in real time through UAD's 1176 compressor and LA610B unison preamp is in of itself worth the price of the unit - that alone justifies the price in my view, and that's not even counting the amp sims and all the other great plugins. Opening up their plugins to my native system would be amazing and if Slate pushes them to do that then we all benefit, but he has big mountain to climb and the tech will have to prove itself.

There is a world of a difference between tracking through plugins with "no" perceivable latency ( UAD) and barely perceivable latency - that difference really matters - especially for vocals and guitar. The true test for Slate is if he can make that happen outside of a promotional video.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I don't quite know what you mean, nor do I understand why you are talking about German. But it looks like my iPhone auto-corrected 'hella' into 'hello'. What I meant by 'hella cocky' was that I think it's arrogant of UA to be be selling the UAD2 chips at the same prices as last generation's hardware in this day and age. I think that's backed up by the release Slate just did. I know UA probably have no choice because there's no viable chip to upgrade to, but it still comes across as cocky.
I thought "Hella Cocky" might be a local figure of speech from way outside my regional area (NY, US), used to describe what I've heard as "rigmarole," or maybe "cockup," etc. I thought it might be Australian or Kiwi.

I agree with the sentiment, that the price for same speed processor should be some sort of reduction. Hadn't considered the arrogant aspect. I like having the plugins in the headphones so easily, so Slate really has to compete with that.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopablo View Post
The A/D converters are supposed to be better, and the talkback function has been added, to name two that come to mind. Three weeks, might be enough time to return? Seems a no-brainer, if these converters are really better (read up, some comments address this). I personally like the sound I get with the version I've had for the last year or so (same unit you have).
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Optical out, optical out, optical outs. Come on my guys! just don't understand..... Do they not realize how many people would buy it. I know so people that use their twins as an adat interface. That might have doubled their sales... maybe they were afraid of not selling apollo 8's? I doubt it because people who buy Apollo 8s have no interest in adats and external pres. This really is a shame. I had the unit in a shopping cart, and then took it off lol
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Optical out, optical out, optical outs. Come on my guys! just don't understand..... Do they not realize how many people would buy it. I know so people that use their twins as an adat interface. That might have doubled their sales... maybe they were afraid of not selling apollo 8's? I doubt it because people who buy Apollo 8s have no interest in adats and external pres. This really is a shame. I had the unit in a shopping cart, and then took it off lol
That one is in fact the dealbreaker for me. If it had RCA SPDIF and ADAT In and Out I'd be all over it.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
That one is in fact the dealbreaker for me. If it had RCA SPDIF and ADAT In and Out I'd be all over it.
Universal Audio is you're listening. Two words: OPTICAL OUT!
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliken View Post
I'm debating whether to get a great deal on the old version twin and Apollo rack vs the new version of both. I think I'd save about $1000 on the old and only loose talkback and monitor functions and the so touted new A/D
Well I happen to really like the silverface stuff, and my studio is for personal use so I don't have to worry about client perception of AD/DA quality. I find it more than excellent enough for my purposes, I don't have to have the newest just for newest sake. I'm very happy with the Hardware investment of a UAD system versus a HDX system. Also happy with the performance versus cost of the UAD DSP offerings.

I bought my Apollo Twin and Apollo 8 new, picked up my Apollo 16 used, just ordered a Satellite Octo yesterday so I can mix on the road. In all before all my outboard preamps I have about $5k in a VERY capable system with 26 ins 26 outs at 192.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Wow...someone at UAD is actually reading this forum.

They finally managed to make great product video with great music

Loved it..
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if you can bypass the mic pres on this new Apollo Twin and go straight into the A/D converters when using an external preamp?
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSky View Post
Does anyone know if you can bypass the mic pres on this new Apollo Twin and go straight into the A/D converters when using an external preamp?
Should be able to, the current one will allow you to plug line in and bypass the pres. I don't know why this one wouldn't.

I've got some coupons and gift cards to GC. Apparently it's already in stock at my local GC. I'm going to stop by after work today and pick up the MKII. I'll sell my MKI. After coupon, gift card, and selling my MKI this shouldn't set me back very much. Just did a session that other day that killed me not having a talkback. This is very welcomed. And I don't have to type up an input? And I don't have to flip to console to toggle mono off and on? It's a win for me. Probably not for everyone but big win for me now and even future expansions having a talkback built in to the unit. I'm stoked. Going to stick with the DUO though. Would like to go quad but I'll probably get a rackmount Apollo at some point in the future anyway.

I am bummed they're no longer doing the Buy an Apollo get a unison plugin promo anymore... Would love to grab the API for free. Already have the Neve
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalinec View Post
Should be able to, the current one will allow you to plug line in and bypass the pres. I don't know why this one wouldn't.
I didn't think that was actually possible. Here is a reference thread:

Apollo twin

Apparently, there is negligible effect of going through the mic pre because it does not impart much effect on the signal... so, obviously it is usable like this and a viable option.

I was just wondering if there was true bypass to the converter with this model?
Old 20th January 2017
Ok so with the sharc pricing upgrade I see on twins is ridiculous. $600 upgrade for sharc chips only wow.... that is a real kick in the nuts... why couldn't they have a quad twin, new ad/da, digital/ optical I/o, talkback, alt mon for $899/$999, make one twin across windows and Mac platform to cut costs and pass on this to loyal customers...

Oh ya Why No New Plugs..... What the hell is going UAD? Are customers not buying new plugs? Is it due to the fact they are all dsp hogs that are extremely expensive even with promo and coupons?

Edit*** I want UAD to be successful and keep innovating, I feel like they are in a hamster wheel and are afraid to break out of the Apollo release cycle, how many times can you improve the same unit? It frustrates me cuz I feel like I purchased an inferior unit for the same price... I hope UAD has some great news upcoming, I know myself and a lot of others are on the fence, especially with octo card prices and plugin costs...
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

I already have a uad card installed on my pc and it came with the standard freebie collection im intrested in buying one of these but i dont need the bundled collection i already own them do uad change them if you already own them or give you a voucher to spend on there store instead?thanks
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

After the initial excitement, the lack of DSP chip upgrade kinda has me leaning towards other options honestly. I'm wondering how Apogee's "low latency mixer" stacks up against UAD's realtime tracking. For the amount of money to get the quad, seems like there's a decent amount of low/zero latency thunderbolt options these days.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
It's standalone unit, but can also be joined to a larger uad system.
Understood, but according to the UA manuals the Apollo twin can only be used as a control unit for the main output sections on a rack unit even tho the inputs and outs work at normal line level.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevice View Post
Interesting, and good to know! That would be incredibly convenient for my purposes!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search