The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think last years "game changer" phrase is now "next generation conversion". Gimme specs man not just a phrase and expect me not to ask what the improvements are.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head
SBell asked:

Quote:
are the UA610, LA-2A, and 1176 plugins that are included in the Analog Classics bundle different from the LA-2A & 1176 Collections sold for $299?
Yes, they are "Legacy" versions of these plug-ins which have fewer functions and features than their for pay versions. But they are still excellent plug-ins.

When I bought my Apollo 8 Duo about a year and a half ago, I purchased it with a ten plug-in package. I bought the Neve 1073 collection, API Vision strip, Lexicon 224 Reverb, AMT 140, Ocean Way, Wood Works, Studer 800, the Freidman and Chandler amps and the Marshall Plexi. I now have 56 plug-ins, which is most of the ones I want.

Be aware that bundles like the Analog Classic Pro bundle are not available when you purchase a custom bundle. You must buy each component of the bundle separately.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Something interesting I noticed starting at around 17:08 of the video. The presenter shows an input chain consisting of the Fender Tweed, Api Vision, Fairchild MKII, Studer A800, and Cambridge EQ. This chain is not possible on current Apollos because the DSP required would exceed the limits of a single Sharc DSP chip. Looks like they found a way to get around this on the new MK2 Twin.
The Twin Quad has four DSP cores. As long as there are available cores within the hardware unit you are tracking, the cores will share the DSP load.

However, if you were tracking through a Twin Single, you could not handle the load. Even if you had another Apollo Quad, it could not share its cores during tracking.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch17 View Post
The Twin Quad has four DSP cores. As long as there are available cores within the hardware unit you are tracking, the cores will share the DSP load.
The issue is that currently a channel's plugins can only run on a single DSP (no matter how many you have), so right now it's impossible to load a Fender amp and a Neve 1073 (with EQ enabled) on the same channel as it exceeds the DSP capacity of that single chip. You can run reverbs/delays etc on aux channels, but that then incurs a 32 sample latency penalty.

The video seems to suggest they may have found a way around this limitation but who knows..? I'm crossing my fingers - I have 20 DSPs and it's frustrating that I can't even run an amp and an eq or a tape delay on a single channel.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch17 View Post
SBell asked:

Yes, they are "Legacy" versions of these plug-ins which have fewer functions and features than their for pay versions. But they are still excellent plug-ins.

When I bought my Apollo 8 Duo about a year and a half ago, I purchased it with a ten plug-in package. I bought the Neve 1073 collection, API Vision strip, Lexicon 224 Reverb, AMT 140, Ocean Way, Wood Works, Studer 800, the Freidman and Chandler amps and the Marshall Plexi. I now have 56 plug-ins, which is most of the ones I want.

Be aware that bundles like the Analog Classic Pro bundle are not available when you purchase a custom bundle. You must buy each component of the bundle separately.
Thanks! Very helpful info. I'll start with six plugins... and then probably end up at 56 too
Old 19th January 2017
I have the Apollo 8p QUAD $3,000 does it makes sense to have that if I'm just a singer? Or should I get this new quad twin? for $1200?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Having the mkii take over as a dedicated monitor controller alongside a rackmount unit seems like one of the coolest improvements since I wasn't aware mki could do that afaik. Would make a portable solution that much more valuable when back at the main studio.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Ohh.. It's now black..
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Does it say anywhere what the solo can handle vs the duo when tracking? Can the solo handle a preamp and eq? Can the solo handle the guitar amp sim and distortion box?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitherto View Post
Does it say anywhere what the solo can handle vs the duo when tracking? Can the solo handle a preamp and eq? Can the solo handle the guitar amp sim and distortion box?
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...Instance-Chart
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldeadman View Post
I have the 8p QUAD $3,000 does it makes sense to have that if I'm just a singer? Or should I get this new quad twin? for $1200?
Mate, don't ask us UADiots that sort of question, the answer will always be that you should get both .
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldeadman View Post
I have the Apollo 8p QUAD $3,000 does it makes sense to have that if I'm just a singer? Or should I get this new quad twin? for $1200?
It would have made sense to wait for this and save money.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitherto View Post
I'm a uad fan but only for the real good plugs. If all you need is an amp sim and distortion plug just get guitarrig
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Dont get it

Their plugins is so consuming, make no sense here
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCommand View Post
Their plugins is so consuming, make no sense here
Your post makes no sense here. This thread is about the Apollo Twin MK2.

On topic:
I think it's a very nice improvement over the previous Apollo Twin, which I happen to have. I will probably not upgrade in the near future as I believe the "old" Twin is more than capable for my needs, but who knows, maybe once I have native Thunderbolt 3 with my next computer upgrade I might!
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, we are still bitching about the price difference for the extra processing. In Europe each extra processor cost 200 Euros, for a chip that costs 1/10 of that. It must be more expensive for UA to maintain all the different versions than doing one quad and lower it's price. Going from solo to quad add another 600 Euros. I have currently several UADs (Apollo Quad, Satellite Quad, solo and dual PCI UAD2) in the studio, I really like UAs plugins, but I still find their pricing of their hardware unjustified.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
Your post makes no sense here. This thread is about the Apollo Twin MK2.

On topic:
I think it's a very nice improvement over the previous Apollo Twin, which I happen to have. I will probably not upgrade in the near future as I believe the "old" Twin is more than capable for my needs, but who knows, maybe once I have native Thunderbolt 3 with my next computer upgrade I might!
Me to, there´s not som much new going on with UAD, i think that they try to hold on with their expensive arsenal as long as they can, but i´m pretty sure there´re drowling at Steven Slate new productline
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCommand View Post
Me to, there´s not som much new going on with UAD, i think that they try to hold on with their expensive arsenal as long as they can, but i´m pretty sure there´re drowling at Steven Slate new productline
Slate's new tech is very impressive, but you're not monitoring a no latency signal with plugins - that's UA's core benefit
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Still. The outdated DSP is pretty much being sold at the old price. That's hello cocky if you ask me (I know no one is).
I agree with other posters that they should've just doubled the DSP for the same price.
This is exactly why I wouldn't pull the trigger on this. I love my Twin, and like the idea of the added features, but if you get into this world on a desktop system, the ceiling is this DSP limit. It's actually why I have been reluctant to get any more of their plug-ins, and I have been interested in some of the amp simulation.

I'm afraid to ask you if you answer with things like "hello cocky," BTW. I didn't pay enough attention in German 101.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear
I guess the lure of a newish Apollo Twin Mk2 indeed depends on whether one already has UAD plugins or not. In my view, there was a time when UAD was the only way to get quality emulations of famous hardware while getting a DSP boost when computers were a bit weak.
Nowadays, however, many companies have great emulations (Slate, IK, Waves, you name it) at rock bottom prices and at the same time computers have become so powerful, that no extra DSP is needed. Also, people who didn't get to know the original hardware these emulations are mimicking, may prefer to use native plugins (FabFilter, Soundtoys, iZotope) that overshadow them all.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Does anyone that has one have anything to say about the new converters? I'm still using my Duet 2 as my portable interface, and I'm primarily looking at TB to reduce latency. DSP is not a big deal for me since I have plenty of software alternatives and can live with the included bundle. Right now, I'm having an Apogee Element vs Twin mkII debate...
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

This is a key point - if they've worked in a way to split an input channel across multiple DSPs, then on a Twin Quad you can track at 96K with a unison plugin, an EQ (pultec pro), two compressors (la-2a, 1176 - not the legacy ones) and a tape simulation (studer). That's not possible today - you can do it at 48K, but not 96K.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
The issue is that currently a channel's plugins can only run on a single DSP (no matter how many you have), so right now it's impossible to load a Fender amp and a Neve 1073 (with EQ enabled) on the same channel as it exceeds the DSP capacity of that single chip. You can run reverbs/delays etc on aux channels, but that then incurs a 32 sample latency penalty.

The video seems to suggest they may have found a way around this limitation but who knows..? I'm crossing my fingers - I have 20 DSPs and it's frustrating that I can't even run an amp and an eq or a tape delay on a single channel.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Does anyone that has one have anything to say about the new converters? I'm still using my Duet 2 as my portable interface, and I'm primarily looking at TB to reduce latency. DSP is not a big deal for me since I have plenty of software alternatives and can live with the included bundle. Right now, I'm having an Apogee Element vs Twin mkII debate...
New black apollo 8 sounds amazing and the new twin has the same electronics now.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
New black apollo 8 sounds amazing and the new twin has the same electronics now.
Thanks, now I just have to debate how much DSP I need haha.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Thanks, now I just have to debate how much DSP I need haha.
If you can do quad, I would definitely go that route.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just out of interest, after reading the twin mkII new product release page I went to go look at the technical specs which are buried at the bottom of the product manual.
According to that, only the line output spec has actually changed in the in/out, which sees an increased dynamic range from 118db to 121db. Aside from that everything else is identical.
I can't quite decide if the 'improved ad/da' is referring to this or more?
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
Just out of interest, after reading the twin mkII new product release page I went to go look at the technical specs which are buried at the bottom of the product manual.
According to that, only the line output spec has actually changed in the in/out, which sees an increased dynamic range from 118db to 121db. Aside from that everything else is identical.
I can't quite decide if the 'improved ad/da' is referring to this or more?
So does this indeed have the electronics from the black face apollo?
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If you can do quad, I would definitely go that route.
Been generally tracking single intruments/vocalists these days. Is it still worth going quad? I'm not sure how deep in the UAD plugin hole i'm going to dive...
Old 19th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
This is a key point - if they've worked in a way to split an input channel across multiple DSPs, then on a Twin Quad you can track at 96K with a unison plugin, an EQ (pultec pro), two compressors (la-2a, 1176 - not the legacy ones) and a tape simulation (studer). That's not possible today - you can do it at 48K, but not 96K.
That setup actually works fine for me at 96K as those plugins upsample already, but I get your point.
I sometimes need to use an AUX just to get some additional DSP for an input. So it would be awesome if they managed to solve that.
Also, being able to use the Satellite DSP for AUXes and virtual channels would be sweet.
Old 19th January 2017
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search