The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
Seems to me he should indicate that - seems a little disingenuous...
Another user found the video on Marcels channel, Marcel posts on the same thread with his own username like the rest of us. (Clyborne)

I am a convert from UAD to Antelope. Both are strong machines but currently the antelope offers more bang for the buck. Hard to tell which have "better" plugins at the moment because they are two different beasts.
Treat the UAD plugins like normal native ones, treat the Antelope like you would outboard gear.

UAD makes some killer plugins and gear that sound great. So does Antelope. I know a few people who clock their Apollo's and HDX with Antelope clocks.

My one hesitation with UAD plugins still is having to pay that extra premium for having the original manufacturers name slapped on the interface. The Licensing fee's probably add a nice chunk to the price of the plugin (unless UA is the original maker )
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qthegaijin View Post
Another user found the video on Marcels channel, Marcel posts on the same thread with his own username like the rest of us. (Clyborne)

I am a convert from UAD to Antelope. Both are strong machines but currently the antelope offers more bang for the buck. Hard to tell which have "better" plugins at the moment because they are two different beasts.
Treat the UAD plugins like normal native ones, treat the Antelope like you would outboard gear.

UAD makes some killer plugins and gear that sound great. So does Antelope. I know a few people who clock their Apollo's and HDX with Antelope clocks.

My one hesitation with UAD plugins still is having to pay that extra premium for having the original manufacturers name slapped on the interface. The Licensing fee's probably add a nice chunk to the price of the plugin (unless UA is the original maker )
I get that, but the YT video appears to be from a mastering house - not Antelope themselves...
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply Gannon.
And to be clear, I'm not sure if the voice on the video is Marcel, as I copied the video from another GSer's post.
But be that as it may I think the comparison is disingenuous as your explanation clearly indicates, it not quite apples to apples.
I have a Pure2 that I think is great, but based on everything I've seen/read re Antelopes' interfaces, I wouldn't trade any of my Apollo Quad SF's for one of there's.
Too many firmware issues.
One thing about Apollos for the vast majority of the time Apollos are pretty much 'plug and play' (even the updates) and I enjoy that.
The Apollos just work, not one issue so far and it gets heavy use. one Apollo 8p is going to be integrated into the main console and the Twin will be used as monitor controller as well. I am keeping set for my home studio as well.

It has been weeks of evaluation/testing and it is rock solid and trustworthy. They really did a great job making this something you can rely on and feel confident in using for day to day work without worrinf about fups slowing down things or breaking the zone during a mix session.
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared the mk2 Apollo twin with Antelope's Zen Tour?
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

heads up kinda bit, I noticed UA is now offering free plugins with an Apollo twin purchase, you can get some neve, lexicon & fairchild plugs, so if you've been on the fence, now might be a good time to get one. I am planning to upgrade to a twin quad mk II from my duo mk I as soon as my budget allows, which regrettably is not just yet..
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
heads up kinda bit, I noticed UA is now offering free plugins with an Apollo twin purchase, you can get some neve, lexicon & fairchild plugs, so if you've been on the fence, now might be a good time to get one. I am planning to upgrade to a twin quad mk II from my duo mk I as soon as my budget allows, which regrettably is not just yet..
Thats a nice value. Also for 3k they offer all the UAD plugins with thr exception of some of the newer plugins ie the korg delay.

Since i purchased my Apollos they have operated with zero issues and are up 24/7 never turned off except for occasional updates to OSX or Just rcently when I upgraded to 9.3 so I can get the korg delay and AMX 16 expanded upgrade.

Love the plugins top notch, i live by realtime tracking no more outboard effects.

In all if your starting out a new studio the UAD interface and the 3K plugin package deal is all you will need, way cheaper than buying all kinds of outboard gear. You will have so many tools to sculpt your mixes and master that you will never go back.

I transitioned my outboards, got rid of them and finally use UAD for everything, even one setup as a dedicated effects processor for my console room.

I really love having all kinds of saved sessions and being able to recall them depending on the material I will be working with. Such a HUGE time saver and its great being able to have a consistent setup anytime you want.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Hi guys, quick question; does anyone know if the Apollo Twin Mk II works with just USB-C, and not solely the Thunderbolt standard? Meaning, can it work just fine on motherboards / PCs that support USB-C, but aren't necessarily Thunderbolt 3 compatible?

I really want to move up to a decent audio interface from what I'm currently using, and the UAD plugins, along with the quality of AD/DA converters are reason enough to get one, but what I'm seeing with Thunderbolt in the PC space is disheartening; very few options and very little support.
Old 25th October 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Hi guys, quick question; does anyone know if the Apollo Twin Mk II works with just USB-C, and not solely the Thunderbolt standard? Meaning, can it work just fine on motherboards / PCs that support USB-C, but aren't necessarily Thunderbolt 3 compatible?

I really want to move up to a decent audio interface from what I'm currently using, and the UAD plugins, along with the quality of AD/DA converters are reason enough to get one, but what I'm seeing with Thunderbolt in the PC space is disheartening; very few options and very little support.
Hi VenVile,

The Apollo Twin MkIIs require Thunderbolt, so they wouldn't work on a machine without it.

It's confusing because the USB-C connector supports both protocols, but you have to have Thunderbolt 3 for Apollo to work.

Hope that helps!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you for clearing that up, and so quickly too.

I guess my next question is, are there plans to have plain old USB-C support? Can that be enabled in a firmware/driver update?

The lack of regular USB C support seems very limiting to the rest of the market. Thunderbolt on PC is still very far behind, and the support is tremendously poor.
Old 25th October 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Thank you for clearing that up, and so quickly too.

I guess my next question is, are there plans to have plain old USB-C support? Can that be enabled in a firmware/driver update?

The lack of regular USB C support seems very limiting to the rest of the market. Thunderbolt on PC is still very far behind, and the support is tremendously poor.
True, Thunderbolt on Windows machines is not as mature as on Macs, but there seems to be commitment to it from all the right players, so I think adoption will be pretty rapid.

I can't speculate about USB-C only interfaces, but we are pretty strongly invested in Thunderbolt and feel good about where it's going with Windows.

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks again Gannon.
Old 4th November 2017
Lives for gear

So...after careful deliberation I decided to purchase the Twin Mk II. The Audient ID22 was a serious contender, because of budget restrictions, but I wanted something with less compromises than the Audient. Haven't pulled the trigger just yet, as I want some clarification on a few things before I make the purchase:-

When I'm mixing in the DAW and use the UA plugins, will their processing be done by the Apollo Twin or by my CPU/RAM? In other words, will I be constricted to the amount of plugins used in the mix by the Twin or will that be determined by the power of my PC?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good Thunderbolt 3 compatible motherboard for PC, that works well with the Twin? I currently don't have Thunderbolt support and I'll have to purchase a new motherboard to get any use from the Twin. I really don't know why UA can't allow the Twins to just work with regular USB-C ports with a driver and firmware update. They'd increase their userbase tenfold.
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Guru

The UAD processing happens 100% on the SHARC DSP chips inside the apollo, no load on the computer. It has it's own meter separate from the DAW/CPU meter, they are independent.

I am doing a build with the Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard because it's listed as supported on the UA FAQ. However this board has a few small quirks so I'm not sure I'd broadly recommend it unless you know how to set it up. Needs a bios update to run Kaby Lake CPUs. I actually bought a Skylake Pentium for $50 to make this happen.

I really do wish UA would greatly expand the list of supported systems. There are already new chipsets and new CPU architectures out since these Z170/Kaby Lake boards. It would especially be good to have some options with more than one Thunderbolt port. My current rig needs two and the Gaming 7 board only has a single port.

I think that any motherboards listed on the official Thunderbolt support website would 'probably' be safe bets, but of course as UA would probably say, 'no guarantees.'

At this time, I am using an old Thunderbolt 2 motherboard with my Apollos, and it "just works," even though it is not officially endorsed by UA.

EDIT: It looks like UA has indeed broadened their support since the last time I read their website. Check these two links:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...-Compatibility

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
The UAD processing happens 100% on the SHARC DSP chips inside the apollo, no load on the computer. It has it's own meter separate from the DAW/CPU meter, they are independent.

I am doing a build with the Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard because it's listed as supported on the UA FAQ. However this board has a few small quirks so I'm not sure I'd broadly recommend it unless you know how to set it up. Needs a bios update to run Kaby Lake CPUs. I actually bought a Skylake Pentium for $50 to make this happen.

I really do wish UA would greatly expand the list of supported systems. There are already new chipsets and new CPU architectures out since these Z170/Kaby Lake boards. It would especially be good to have some options with more than one Thunderbolt port. My current rig needs two and the Gaming 7 board only has a single port.

I think that any motherboards listed on the official Thunderbolt support website would 'probably' be safe bets, but of course as UA would probably say, 'no guarantees.'

At this time, I am using an old Thunderbolt 2 motherboard with my Apollos, and it "just works," even though it is not officially endorsed by UA.

EDIT: It looks like UA has indeed broadened their support since the last time I read their website. Check these two links:

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...-Compatibility

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products
Thank you! I was actually eyeing the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, but wasn't sure of compatibility. I checked the link, and sure enough, it's there. Before I started my new PC build, I purchased the Gigabyte Z170X UD3 TH, but botched it while trying to install the CPU cooler, and replaced it with a cheaper MSI board that doesn't support Thunderbolt 3. So, now I have to bite the bullet and get the board I need. It's worth it for the quality though.

Thanks monkeyxx, you've been a tremendous help.
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared the apollo twin mk2 to the zen tour?
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Has anyone compared the apollo twin mk2 to the zen tour?
+1

on the verge of selling my TwinMKII and hopping on the Zen Tour. they just upgraded the convertors to 124 db AD. 129 db DA out for monitor outs. plus all the free FPGA models and crazy IO makes my Twin look more and more like a Focusrite with (severely outdated) dsp built in and a sleek faceplate.
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Maniac
i do really like UA. i have a twin MK2 and an Octo satellite, but the budget boxes are getting better every year, and if the only advantage of Apollo is DSP plugs that are significantly priced, and running on a super old and inefficient dsp chipset, then I have to wonder why my money isn't best invested elsewhere. Antelope has the sound/quality edge against them for sure, and their plugins are free. UA needs to make major waves at NAMM re: the future of their business model or I believe a bunch of others will be selling off their Apollos as well and going Antelope or switching to a native set up on one of the newer, nicer Presonus or Focusrite thunderbolt offerings. sorry UA!
Old 6th November 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
i do really like UA. i have a twin MK2 and an Octo satellite, but the budget boxes are getting better every year, and if the only advantage of Apollo is DSP plugs that are significantly priced, and running on a super old and inefficient dsp chipset, then I have to wonder why my money isn't best invested elsewhere. Antelope has the sound/quality edge against them for sure, and their plugins are free. UA needs to make major waves at NAMM re: the future of their business model or I believe a bunch of others will be selling off their Apollos as well and going Antelope or switching to a native set up on one of the newer, nicer Presonus or Focusrite thunderbolt offerings. sorry UA!
I tend to agree with your statement and actually really hope UA makes some kind of dramatic announcement at NAMM.
However I don’t want to move forward with Antelope, but I’ll have some tough decisions to make in the near future.
Come on UA you guys are so far behind at this point you will definitely be losing customers by The droves if you aren’t planning on a Major overhaul of your entire interface line up ASAP!!!!
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
+1

on the verge of selling my TwinMKII and hopping on the Zen Tour. they just upgraded the convertors to 124 db AD. 129 db DA out for monitor outs. plus all the free FPGA models and crazy IO makes my Twin look more and more like a Focusrite with (severely outdated) dsp built in and a sleek faceplate.
I know I’ve been reading up on the zen tour. Do you have any experience with one? I’ve read so many reliability issues and I know the Apollo is very reliable. I’m on the fence.
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Before I considered the Apollo Twin or the Audient, I was actually looking at the Zen Tour, but that asking price was painful for my budget. However, if it's quality I'm after, I will pay it. Then, I started reading about all of the issues users were having with the Zen Tour, and the greater difficulties some users had with Antelope's tech and customer support. It left me with a very sour taste in my mouth, and put me off from buying the Zen Tour.

Fortunately, soon after, the Apollo Twin MkII became the new beast of discussion, and I was overjoyed to hear that it was cheaper. I really want the MkII, and I'm almost certain to buy it.

But...I've been out of the loop for a while, and now I see Presonus recently released the Quantum 2...and now I'm deliberating again. If budget really wasn't a factor, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Apollo Twin Mk II Quad, but...life isn't always so simple. There aren't many reviews for the Quantum, and I'm not certain about its sound quality (AD/DA) compared to the Apollo. And I know damn sure its mic pres can't compete with it.

I really think Apollo is missing out on an opportunity with USB C. But, a las.
Old 8th May 2018
Has anyone heard anything about the twin mk2 making it's way to USB ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search