The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I found an Apollo Twin Duo for less than half price, so the choice was pretty easy for me. Still really curious to hear the black apollos.
Where? Surprisingly the stores where I live haven't really discounted the units.
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruju View Post
Where? Surprisingly the stores where I live haven't really discounted the units.
Just a particularly lucky eBay find at the right time.
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just a particularly lucky eBay find at the right time.
I stand corrected. JuSt dropped by a local store here in toronto and the sliver faced ones are now $990 whIle the blackface mkII are $1240. Is the mkII worth spending $250.00 more? Is there an actual sound quality improvement. I can take that $250 and buy a plug in, or some acoustic panels.
Old 28th April 2017
Quote:
I stand corrected. JuSt dropped by a local store here in toronto and the sliver faced ones are now $990 whIle the blackface mkII are $1240. Is the mkII worth spending $250.00 more? Is there an actual sound quality improvement. I can take that $250 and buy a plug in, or some acoustic panels.
It does sound a bit better, but not enough to warrant the price difference to me. The main thing that would attract me to the MkIIs is the Quad option. But they charge way too much for those extra chips so I will keep on using my silverface Twin (which I love dearly).
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
It is very strange for a manufacturer to be competing with itself on the retail floor. If it was my main DAC, I would probably go for the latest model. If it was just for tracking and DSP, maybe I would pocket the savings and buy more gear, like you said.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

I'm giving some serious consideration to getting out and buying one of the new Apollo Mkii Interfaces. Great quality and they just look solid.

However, is it worth waiting until there's a 'free plug-in' offer, as they happen so frequently, I'd hate to buy one then miss an offer by a matter of weeks.

Anyone know if anything is forthcoming?
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
There is currently an offer from Softube to get a free Marshall Amp plugin with the registration of a new Apollo unit. I currently own at least one Softube plugin, so not sure if that is why I got emailed the offer yesterday or not. Might be worth signing up to their newsletter to see if they mail you a coupon code.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBoulden View Post
There is currently an offer from Softube to get a free Marshall Amp plugin with the registration of a new Apollo unit. I currently own at least one Softube plugin, so not sure if that is why I got emailed the offer yesterday or not. Might be worth signing up to their newsletter to see if they mail you a coupon code.
Thank you!
Old 2nd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I'm giving some serious consideration to getting out and buying one of the new Apollo Mkii Interfaces. Great quality and they just look solid.

However, is it worth waiting until there's a 'free plug-in' offer, as they happen so frequently, I'd hate to buy one then miss an offer by a matter of weeks.

Worth knowing...
When you register a new Apollo they usually give you a one time offer of 3, 6, or more plugins at a reduced price, usually works out to around £100 per plugin. The trick is to use that to grab 3 of the most expensive ones you have your eye on. Then when you buy those you may get another 2 vouchers worth like £80-£100. So more savings to be had. Also all this month they have a Neve sale (they usually have a sale or promo every 1 or 2 months). There's 60% off all the Neve's right now.

I had a £40 coupon lying around from last month and just picked up the Neve 33609 Compressor for £35! Had my eye on it for a while. Then they sent me a £20 coupon... haven't decided to use that yet.

If you play it smart and patient in a few months you can pick up a lot of bargains, I haven't payed full price for anything for a while.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Is there any difference between the mk2 Apollo in regards to performance on Windows as there is on Mac? Im thinking of building out a PC.
Old 15th May 2017
Here for the gear

Apollo Twin MKII Quad + Mountain Lion

Hi all,

Has anyone tried the new Apollo Twin MKII Quad with a Mac on which Mountain Lion (10.8.5) is installed?

I know Universal Audio specifies that Apollo Twin MKII work with OS 10.10 and higher, but someone at UA explained to me that this only meant they did not run tests with OS prior to 10.10, and therefore it doesn't necessarily means it doesn't work.

Hence my question...

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks in advance.

SAM
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdevol View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone tried the new Apollo Twin MKII Quad with a Mac on which Mountain Lion (10.8.5) is installed?

I know Universal Audio specifies that Apollo Twin MKII work with OS 10.10 and higher, but someone at UA explained to me that this only meant they did not run tests with OS prior to 10.10, and therefore it doesn't necessarily means it doesn't work.

Hence my question...

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks in advance.

SAM
I run on 10.9.5 though anecdotally it will run on other versions of OSX
Old 16th May 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Is there any difference between the mk2 Apollo in regards to performance on Windows as there is on Mac? Im thinking of building out a PC.
Hi LuXx,

There is no performance difference between Mac and PC. Windows does handle system sounds and computer audio differently from Mac.

But, as far as running a DAW, the performance is pretty identical on the two platforms - up to 6 devices in a system, 4 of which can be Apollos.

I hope that helps!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 2nd June 2017
Here for the gear

I've been recording with this interface since a few months now. I really enjoy the sound quality, dynamics and depth of the sound. I actually wish sometimes I would have purchased the bigger Apollo 8 version because I'm in need of recording drums now. I read that I can expand the unit with more channels using the optical in port by connecting a phantom powered A/D converter. I'm just wondering what type of converter will give the best results ?
Old 2nd June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by callix View Post
I've been recording with this interface since a few months now. I really enjoy the sound quality, dynamics and depth of the sound. I actually wish sometimes I would have purchased the bigger Apollo 8 version because I'm in need of recording drums now. I read that I can expand the unit with more channels using the optical in port by connecting a phantom powered A/D converter. I'm just wondering what type of converter will give the best results ?
My top picks would be

Focusrite Clarett 8Pre in standalone mode, or Clarett OctoPre

or

Presonus DP88

Some people really like the Audient ASP800 and ASP880. My friend has the 800.

The reason I like the DP88 so much is for the line inputs that bypass the preamps. But you also have Xmax preamps on each channel available. The conversion sounds great, and is based on a popular Burr Brown chipset.

The reason I like the Clarett boxes, besides the Thunderbolt option, is just really smooth sounding conversion. Preamps are pretty decent too but not the reason for my pick.

These two options can be found second hand for $400-500ish, which is a bargain in my mind.

I'm using one of each to expand my two Apollos. DP88, Clarett 8PreX. It's a happening little rig.
Old 3rd June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Hi LuXx,

There is no performance difference between Mac and PC. Windows does handle system sounds and computer audio differently from Mac.

But, as far as running a DAW, the performance is pretty identical on the two platforms - up to 6 devices in a system, 4 of which can be Apollos.

I hope that helps!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
I plan to buy a uad apollo twin duo for my p.c windows rig. If I buy the silver face usb-c model, do I just simply connect 1 cable from the interface to my usb c computer port and that's it? Shockingly, this usb c model of older silver face model is the same price as the new mkII. If I buy a thunderbolt version of silver face apollo, can I just connect a thunderbolt 3 cable from the apollo into the usb c computer port or will I need some sort of secondary adapters to connect the interface into the uad. And how about the mkII into a p.c as well. Can I connect 1 cable between the 2 or do I need secondary adapter devices to make it work? The silver face thunderbolt version is $1000 cdn. Usb c silverface version is $1240 cdn. Mkii black face is $1240 cndn
Old 7th June 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you for the wonderful advice, I am looking into it
Old 7th June 2017
Here for the gear

Hello guys,
I don´t know if this topic has been brought up before, but I´m planing to use an external preamp (a Rupert Neve 511), and I wanted to know if there is a way to bypass the internal preamp of the Apollo.

If I select the "line" input, do I get some colouring in my signal when it passes trough the Apollo? Is there a "correct" way to connect an external pre to it?

Thanks!
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patog View Post
Hello guys,
I don´t know if this topic has been brought up before, but I´m planing to use an external preamp (a Rupert Neve 511), and I wanted to know if there is a way to bypass the internal preamp of the Apollo.

If I select the "line" input, do I get some colouring in my signal when it passes trough the Apollo? Is there a "correct" way to connect an external pre to it?

Thanks!
Depends on which Apollo you have.

The only Apollos that have no dedicated line inputs are the Twin and the 8P.

Running in Line Input mode is the correct way to use that channel. Sound coloration should be minimal to the point of insignificance. It's not something to worry about. The Apollo mic preamps are incredibly neutral in sound, and make very good line amps.
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Addict

Hey!

If I would get an Apollo Twin mkII Duo, could I run the two mic inputs with included 610 unison mic pre and compressor on each plus the Studer A800 plug-in on both + the 8 optical inputs and maybe a reverb for headphones? (so 2 610 unison, 2 compressors, 10 Studer, 1 reverb)
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

I love this ting, MKii, and record with it all the time. Love the unison plugs and enjoying the chandler amp one as well.

question i have is when i run a guitar or bass direct, with the chandler on an insert and say the NEVE on the input, the controller is orange but it "jumps" alot, its not a smooth rolling up or down and then when i just use say a NEVE on insert and a mic plugged in the back it rolls smoothly.

any idea why this is? im still learning it and also gain stagin with this and just cant figure it out

thanks
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureLegends View Post
Hey!

If I would get an Apollo Twin mkII Duo, could I run the two mic inputs with included 610 unison mic pre and compressor on each plus the Studer A800 plug-in on both + the 8 optical inputs and maybe a reverb for headphones? (so 2 610 unison, 2 compressors, 10 Studer, 1 reverb)
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...Instance-Chart
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks... but doesn't really tell you much about combinations...
Old 8th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks... but doesn't really tell you much about combinations...
Some arithmetic should get you in the ballpark.

I could be wrong, but what you proposed sounds like a lot for a Duo to handle.
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

one stereo instance of 610, 8 mono jnstances of studer... It would totally depend on which 2 comps we talking about. I have a feeling it would be close but perhaps just barely within two sharcs worth of DSP.
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
I love this ting, MKii, and record with it all the time. Love the unison plugs and enjoying the chandler amp one as well.

question i have is when i run a guitar or bass direct, with the chandler on an insert and say the NEVE on the input, the controller is orange but it "jumps" alot, its not a smooth rolling up or down and then when i just use say a NEVE on insert and a mic plugged in the back it rolls smoothly.

any idea why this is? im still learning it and also gain stagin with this and just cant figure it out

thanks
Well, Trock I know from the N12 days, so I trust that. I can't help because I have not even touched the surface.

I think the Apollo sounds awesome, he detail, the tight low end, and the honesty.

( I am confusing this with another thread so I edited this, excuse me)

What functions for you are going to work better
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
one stereo instance of 610, 8 mono jnstances of studer... It would totally depend on which 2 comps we talking about. I have a feeling it would be close but perhaps just barely within two sharcs worth of DSP.
Thanks. Was thinking one of the included compressors... although, compressor might not be so important. Would be nice to get 610 on the two mic inputs and studer on all 10 inputs though...
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. Was thinking one of the included compressors... although, compressor might not be so important. Would be nice to get 610 on the two mic inputs and studer on all 10 inputs though...
That puts you at 144.1% sharc chip DSP use, at 44.1k sample rate, along with whatever the base DSP load is for your apollo system. Max for a duo is obviously 200% Seems doable.

Simple arithmetic, using the UAD instance chart.
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
That puts you at 144.1% sharc chip DSP use, at 44.1k sample rate, along with whatever the base DSP load is for your apollo system. Max for a duo is obviously 200% Seems doable.

Simple arithmetic, using the UAD instance chart.
Ha! Thanks... silly me missed the % and only saw the number of instances...
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Maniac

If im primarily tracking one person at a time, do I need to get a duo, or could a solo work? For a person like me, who will only be recording myself for now and I will have a quad core i7 processor in my computer, do I need to spend extra on the duo. In reality, if I plan to use the unision plug ins to enable them while tracking, how many would I really need to use aside from a pre-amp and maybe compressor and reverb. I plan to send off most of my tracks to professional mixers and masterers for now, but will practice on my own in the mean time. Do I really need duo?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search