The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Apollo Twin MkII Desktop Audio Interface for Mac and Windows Systems Now Shipping Audio Interfaces
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatassj View Post
I just bought the Apollo Twin Duo but due to an odd static coming out of the headphone jack (I'm currently speaking to a support about this and have talked to many with a similar issue), I'm returning it and buying a Quad.

However, I only have until 3/31 to use the voucher for the 6 plug ins for $699. Will I get a brand new chance at this offer when I purchase the Quad? Noticed Sweetwater is offering a whopping 10 for $999. I definitely want 10 plug ins, but I'm afraid the deal might be a one time thing for my UAD account. Is the $999 deal Sweetwater exclusive or Quad exclusive?

Thanks! Great product by the way! Am in love hence why Quad is the necessary replacement
I'm all but certain when you register your new appliance in your UAD account, you will receive whatever current incentives are on offer. UAD is really good about these incentive plans to get you addicted to their greatness..
Old 18th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Yes UA wants you to enjoy ( and spend $ on plugs ) so they will offer you the custom bundles as well. When you get your new Quad, you should receive $100-$200 in coupons for the plug store. You will receive a bigger voucher and better deal for the Quad so wait until you register the Quad, then you will see what you can do...

Btw a custom bundle is what you describe the 3-$399 6-$699 10 -$999, which if remember correctly is a better deal than it used to be.. IDK why it I remember it being more expensive so if the custom bundles at Sweetwater is truly 10-$999 I would do that cuz it's $1299 on UA plug store 3-699 6-999 10-1299. Start reading up on the plugs now. Think about your workflow and what plugs will help you track mix and master more efficiently... Which plugs will separate your sound from the next person? Which plugs can improve your sound Think about dsp restrictions and limitations ( all UAD have a chart per how many instances per sample rate )... Also be aware of the native counterparts of some of the UAD plugs like the brainworx Vertigo Sound VSC-2 Quad comp and Vsm3 mix satellite for examples and do not purchase these for UAD go native ( cheaper, no dsp restrictions/ limit )

I suggest

1. 1176 mk2 - 3 mk2 compressors, Rev A, E, AE which all have a distinct compression and IMO used on anything aside from Mixbus and Mastering
2. La2a mk2 - 3 mk2 compressors ( piano, bass, Vox )
3. API Vision channel strip- Unison Pre/ Filters/ Gate/ Comp/ Eq
4. Neve 1073 mk2 ( dsp hog ) - Unison preamp and Eq
5. API 2500 - drum bus / mixbus / parallel crush
6. Chandler Curve Bender Eq - Mixbus/ Mastering/ Subgroups
7. Chandler Zener Limiter - Mixbus/ Mastering/ Subgroups/ Parallel Crush Bus
8. Akg Bx20 Spring Reverb - Vox/ Strings/ Piano/
9. AMS Rmx16 Digital Reverb - one of a kind
10. Gtr amp sim if needed ( not me ) so would probably go with the 140 plate, if you have Valhalla Verbs then maybe Cooper time cube mk2 would be cool. Also there is the Manley Vari mu and Massive Passive as well as all the Tape Plugs as well! Have fun Good luck
Wow, sounds like an amazing company if all true!

Upon purchase of the Duo, I received the prices you see on sweetwater, but not the most prime of them: the 10 plugins for $999 one. Assuming that comes with the Quad. Will probably select it with Sweetwater or UA directly depending on their answer back to me!

Ah, interesting. I will take those into consideration. Thanks for that extremely helpful advice about natives, too. Grand help.

I WILL check those out! Are they suited towards any style or genre, you would say? Or better yet, what do you use with them?
Old 18th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
I'm all but certain when you register your new appliance in your UAD account, you will receive whatever current incentives are on offer. UAD is really good about these incentive plans to get you addicted to their greatness..
Awesome! I'm aware people can possibly buy new ones to keep getting deals, and I don't want to do that, or be considered a suspect and have them tell me it was a one-time-only-per-account, especially if I didn't even try to redeem it or cheat them. Am asking them how to return and everything!

And yes.. I'm addicted. I'm a young, long-time rapper who is getting into the technical world of music - happy to be in novel joy and a long, stern path ahead >
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

I decided on an apollo solo to go with my octo sat. i received it from sweetwater but it never worked so its going back and the new one should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I have better luck with this one. after this experience I was thinking about the Zen Tour, replacing my original symphony

also UA never answered my support ticket. SO I went from pretty pumped for this to now kinda just hoping this one works.
Old 21st March 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
I decided on an apollo solo to go with my octo sat. i received it from sweetwater but it never worked so its going back and the new one should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I have better luck with this one. after this experience I was thinking about the Zen Tour, replacing my original symphony

also UA never answered my support ticket. SO I went from pretty pumped for this to now kinda just hoping this one works.
Hi Trock,

It's weird that we didn't respond to your support ticket. Our CS guys do an outstanding job, so something must have fallen off the rails and we lost your ticket.

I'm sorry about that - can you send me the number so I can look into it?

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi GK

I found it in my junk. it was answered a day later. I want to let everyone knwo that, UA did respond right away. however what they suggested was stuff i had tried many times along with hard resets of the units, different cables, ports alone and daisy chained etc.

anyway, the new one will be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to trying it and hopefully getting it to work ok and then having the solo and octo as one unit.

thanks
Old 21st March 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Hi GK

I found it in my junk. it was answered a day later. I want to let everyone knwo that, UA did respond right away. however what they suggested was stuff i had tried many times along with hard resets of the units, different cables, ports alone and daisy chained etc.

anyway, the new one will be here tomorrow. I am looking forward to trying it and hopefully getting it to work ok and then having the solo and octo as one unit.

thanks
Cool - thanks for letting me know.

Have fun tomorrow!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 21st March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Cool
a couple of us were wondering about the headphone amp on the MKII, is it the same as the MKI or is it significantly better?
Old 21st March 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
a couple of us were wondering about the headphone amp on the MKII, is it the same as the MKI or is it significantly better?
Hi Ohmicide,

We made some significant gains in the noise spec and that definitely improves the sound.

I wouldn't characterize the difference as stunning, but certainly improved.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Ohmicide,

We made some significant gains in the noise spec and that definitely improves the sound.

I wouldn't characterize the difference as stunning, but certainly improved.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Does the apollo twin mk2 have the same da converters as the mk2 apollo 8?
Old 21st March 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Does the apollo twin mk2 have the same da converters as the mk2 apollo 8?
Hi LuXx,

They're from the same family as the second generation Apollos, but slightly different part numbers.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi LuXx,

They're from the same family as the second generation Apollos, but slightly different part numbers.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Understood, thank you Gannon.

So maybe if I had an mk2 twin and an mk2 apollo 8 side by side, I wouldn't be able to tell the differences when connecting monitors to them?
Old 21st March 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
Understood, thank you Gannon.

So maybe if I had an mk2 twin and an mk2 apollo 8 side by side, I wouldn't be able to tell the differences when connecting monitors to them?
Well, that's the 64 thousand dollar question! ;-)

They are very close and virtually indistinguishable to me, but everybody hears differently.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, that's the 64 thousand dollar question! ;-)

They are very close and virtually indistinguishable to me, but everybody hears differently.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Ha! Good to know sir, thank you.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Guru

This is a good time to buy silver Duo Twin thunderbolt Apollos at highly discounted prices. I've got one coming in the mail tomorrow. Looking forward to putting it to task.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

not sure if this helps anyone since my initial unit had issues but what did work was the output and the DA. I have had a symphony for years and opals as monitors. i used that setup in cubase for the past 3+ years and knwo the sound very well.

When i swapped in the twin and played back the same songs i was not at ALL dissapointed in switching, the sound was very CLEAR and detailed and i felt was equally as good if not better in what i was hearing in the songs now.

what seemed like some lower end was gone but my mixes tended to be a little bass heavy with the setup i had so i am hoping to dig into some mixing with the new apollo soon.

to sum up i have no let down at all on the DA side of things and may in fact have upgraded
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi EVeryone

i got my new unit in last night and it works perfectly! very excited to use the unison tech and my mic and its been a great time trying out the different plugs with my setup. on the AD i can now report excellent sound quality and clarity and an ease of use WITH tons of options to be GREAT! i also LOVE the extra control i now have with dim, mute, mono at the touch of a button.

i will not feel i am missing quality with this unit on either AD DA and like I said am very happy with the extra controls I know have.

I had a question though, after watching numerous console videos i am still not sure about this

ok, i have a NEVE 1073 strapped to the INPUT and then have loaded some presets which then INSERT different plugs on the insert portion. my question is, when i RECORD thru the input does it PRINT the NEVE AND the other plugs then? I am CHOOSING to print, i get the monitor vs printing function. but is it printing thru the neve and then say the api or whatever stuff was loaded with the preset?

also some are RED in the insert portion, so are those plugs i dont have authorization for? and thus even though loaded are not being used?

thanks so much! great unit!
Old 22nd March 2017
Manufacturer

Quote:
Hi EVeryone

i got my new unit in last night and it works perfectly! very excited to use the unison tech and my mic and its been a great time trying out the different plugs with my setup. on the AD i can now report excellent sound quality and clarity and an ease of use WITH tons of options to be GREAT! i also LOVE the extra control i now have with dim, mute, mono at the touch of a button.

i will not feel i am missing quality with this unit on either AD DA and like I said am very happy with the extra controls I know have.

I had a question though, after watching numerous console videos i am still not sure about this

ok, i have a NEVE 1073 strapped to the INPUT and then have loaded some presets which then INSERT different plugs on the insert portion. my question is, when i RECORD thru the input does it PRINT the NEVE AND the other plugs then? I am CHOOSING to print, i get the monitor vs printing function. but is it printing thru the neve and then say the api or whatever stuff was loaded with the preset?

also some are RED in the insert portion, so are those plugs i dont have authorization for? and thus even though loaded are not being used?

thanks so much! great unit!
Hi Trock,

Glad you're finally up and running with your new Apollo!

To answer your questions:

Unison preamps are always printed, regardless of the Record/Monitor state of the channel. Only the 4 channel inserts are switchable between monitor and record.

Red status on a plug-in indicates it is disabled. It can be caused by lack of authorization or it can be caused by running out of DSP on the channel. Keep in mind that all plug-ins on a channel strip must be hosted on the same DSP to maintain the low-latency path, so everything on that channel must fit on one chip.

Here's the instance chart so you can see how much each plug-in consumes.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215262223

Disabling DSP Load Lock in the Meter & Control Panel allows you to conserve some DSP as well.

Enjoy and have fun making some music!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

excellent, got it now! so anything on the input gets printed, and then i have the choice on the inserts. thats cool.

thanks for the other tips to.
Old 26th March 2017
Quote:

i got my new unit in last night and it works perfectly!

May I ask if you purchased the Apollo Twin MKII-Version?
I guess you did because the extra controls / mono / dim / etc. is only available on the Twin MKII.
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Andy

Its a new Apollo Twin mkii solo, i have an octo satelite and since I am a one man band so to speak and only need a mono source for vocals and acoustic I putschaed this unit

thanks!
Old 12th April 2017
Quote:
Hi Andy

Its a new Apollo Twin mkii solo, i have an octo satelite and since I am a one man band so to speak and only need a mono source for vocals and acoustic I putschaed this unit

thanks!
When you tracked through the Neve 1073 on the Twin, what sample rate were you using? I also have an Apollo 8p, and I'm thinking about getting a mkii Twin Solo to upgrade to 10 channels and have the ability to do overdubs and mobile recording quickly. Not too concerned about having more DSP for mixing, but I'm just wondering if I could get away with tracking one or two 1073s and Studers at 48k or even 96k with a solo?
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Bill, just 44.1

thanks
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Alright, can someone chime in here:
I'm thinking of getting a Twin, the new one or the MK1. OF COURSE my dealer claims the MK2 sounds soooooo much better, but how exactly are the converters "upgraded"? All I see is "upgraded" and "next generation" but that doesn't tell me anything. Anyone who has heard them side by side or has at least used both the version to make a proper judgement?
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

I can't help you with between the Mki and Mkii in terms of sound but i can say that I came from a symphony and my mk11 is just as good in terms of sound, and my mixes are better. its very very good, clean and clarity, then add the unison plugs or whatever to do what you need and the power of the unit is amazing. so, in terms of my workflow and needs the mk11 rivaled an apogee symphony, but then with tons more things it can do.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't help you with between the Mki and Mkii in terms of sound but i can say that I came from a symphony and my mk11 is just as good in terms of sound, and my mixes are better. its very very good, clean and clarity, then add the unison plugs or whatever to do what you need and the power of the unit is amazing. so, in terms of my workflow and needs the mk11 rivaled an apogee symphony, but then with tons more things it can do.
Wow, that sounds great, thanks a lot. Another thing my dealer said is he assumed the units are actually not super profitable for UA, cause they are probably too cheap for what they offer. (The big seller for them being the plugins of course).
Old 22nd April 2017
I upgraded from the MK1 to the 2, and there is a sonic difference in the DA for sure. It's not total night and day, but the 2 does have more clarity, it feels like you can hear the transients better, and everything is a little crisper, in a good way. I haven't tried the Mic Pre's yet, but I'm looking forward to that.

I would say if you want the best audio quality then go for the MK2, if that isn't your major concern then you'd still be happy with the 1. But there's also the added hands on functionality, that makes it easier to work with, depending on your needs of course.

Ps.. and yes once used the plugins do become hard to resist!
Old 22nd April 2017
Here for the gear

So running the mk2 on windows 7 x64 will not work? anyone tryed ?
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I upgraded from the MK1 to the 2, and there is a sonic difference in the DA for sure. It's not total night and day, but the 2 does have more clarity, it feels like you can hear the transients better, and everything is a little crisper, in a good way. I haven't tried the Mic Pre's yet, but I'm looking forward to that.

I would say if you want the best audio quality then go for the MK2, if that isn't your major concern then you'd still be happy with the 1. But there's also the added hands on functionality, that makes it easier to work with, depending on your needs of course.

Ps.. and yes once used the plugins do become hard to resist!
Haha yep I hear ya! I used UAD1 back in the day, I was a sucker for their online plugin store.

Yeah I'm certainly wanting better quality, although I assume the MK1 is a huge step up from what I have now anyway. But then, a dim and especially mono switch at your fingertips is great too! I use my mono switch a lot during mixing.

Thanks everyone!
S.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

I found an Apollo Twin Duo for less than half price, so the choice was pretty easy for me. Still really curious to hear the black apollos.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search