The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dutch&Dutch 8c monitors Studio Monitors
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Addict

I believe they were just a pair that were hanging around, they don’t appear to be very sturdy.
Keith
Old 24th April 2018
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Addict

The 8Cs were at the ‘Cranage’ audio show in the u`k this last weekend,
Quote courtesy of ASR forum.

‘I spent quite a bit of time in the Dutch & Dutch room at Cranage on Sunday and I'm impressed. A bit disappointed that the dealer played so much electronic/dance music which for me made it more difficult to assess the speakers. But when they did finally play some decently recorded vocals I was struck by the clarity and complete lack of smearing. The wide soundstage was very evident (I was sitting slightly to the left of centre with some folks in front to the right, but not blocking the right speaker) and instrument placement was excellent. Bass was powerful and very well controlled. They simply played music with an overall cohesiveness that didn't call attention to the speakers at all. For all their clarity, punch and detail I couldn't see these speakers bringing about any fatigue in long listening sessions. There was nothing else at the show that came close to them...all IMO, of course.’

Keith
Old 28th June 2018
Gear Addict

8Cs ‘Roon ready’ !
This means that a system is just the Roon Core and a pair of 8Cs!
YouTube

Keith
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by puriteaudio View Post
Geithain create a cardioid response for the lower bass,
Geithan actually have passive cardioid mid and bass, the mid has a rubber(ish) back cup that makes it's rear impedance material, the woofers have the vents with the impedance material behind (like the 8c).

Passive cardioid speakers have actually been around for a long time, I've made some myself-

SEOS 24/Radian 951BePb + cardioid boxes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Not terribly difficult to get it to work, but a lot of work to get it to work *right*.

For me I decided that since the room and the speaker are both my bat and my ball, it's even more effective to do a half dipole (fig8) with the rear lobe being both absorbed and redirected tangentially away from the listening position. Dipole has both less stored energy (cardioid vents still acting like a bass reflex port to some extent) and a tighter pattern. This requires the room, speaker and DSP to be designed as one complete system though (I'll be doing a studio build thread here soon).

8c and Kii are both excellent designs, but it is fair to say that if someone places a high priority on directivity below (typical) Schroeder, Geithan and Kii do that and 8c does not (8c rear subs are typical omni). Personally I don't think directivity below Schroder is useful anyway, but would be open to be proven wrong.

The 8c looks like an oblate spheroid waveguide...I'm a big fan there (using a large format beryllium compression driver on SEOS24 WG's).

It's cool to see Dr. Geddes work make it into more studios. Something that is long overdue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search