The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Software Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A

Black Rooster Audio is excited to present the VLA-3A plug-in, one of the most authentic native emulations of its analog brother from the 70s. It takes aspects from its predecessor and combines it with a discrete solid-state circuitry. It still
maintains the T4 based opto-compressor sound but features a quicker, more modern and brighter response. This is our goto processor for vocals, but it also works outstandingly well when bringing out the ambience of percussive material and helps to put some glue into your mixes! The plug-in is available from today as a limited time offer of $79 and a regular price of $129.

Please check Black Rooster Audio for further information.

FEATURES

AUTHENTIC CIRCUIT EMULATION
Our real time SPICE type component based circuit simulation approach allows to authentically capture the sound and feel of the analog sample in all nuances. Every crucial part of the device, including in- and output transformers, discrete side chain and audio amplifier stages, the high frequency contour filter network, down to the T4B cell have been faithfully modeled and matched with an original reference unit.

SSE2 OPTIMIZED CODE
DSP operations are pipe-lined using the SSE2 instruction set. This ensures highest possible performance operation despite very complex computations.

AUTO-ADJUSTED OVERSAMPLING FOR MAXIMUM AUDIO TRANSPARENCY
Aliasing artifacts are efficiently attenuated using a low latency linear phase Dolph-Chebyshev poly-phase design. The oversampling is auto adjusted to your session's sample rate to save valuable CPU power while offering the most transparent sound possible.

HIGHDPI / RETINA SUPPORT
All our plug-Ins support high pixel density on Mac OSX and Windows to bring you the most enjoyable user experience on high DPI displays. Please refer to your manual to find whether your DAW is HighDPI capable if you're working on
Windows.

ABOUT BLACK ROOSTER AUDIO

We're an avid audio software company from Germany that brings you premium quality DAW plug-ins. Our processors can be used in the most popular host applications such as Steinberg Cubase, Apple Logic, Ableton Live and many others. We put all our dexterity into contriving and creating the most state-of-the-art software. We want to support you in your everyday recording, mixing or mastering process and provide you with highly creative, inspiring and great sounding tools.

Please check Black Rooster Audio for further information.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Nut

Cool ...I will demo this first and then give my opion!!!
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjeudy View Post
Cool ...I will demo this first and then give my opion!!!
That's the way to go!
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Is there an ETA when AAX will be released?
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Addict

About the auto adjusted oversampling. I work on 44.1, how much oversampling does that equal to?

Also, small typo in the VLA-3A manual. It says "About the VLA-2A" instead of 3A. Probably a bit too much champagne last night eh .
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeep View Post
About the auto adjusted oversampling. I work on 44.1, how much oversampling does that equal to?
Should be 4x
Old 1st January 2017
Mho
Lives for gear

Nice! No Aax?
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Nice! No Aax?
AAX is coming very soon. We are implementing it as I'm writing. WIll inform you on updates.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Nice! No Aax?
AAX is in the works right now.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeep View Post

Also, small typo in the VLA-3A manual. It says "About the VLA-2A" instead of 3A. Probably a bit too much champagne last night eh .
Thanks for the info. We'll fix it right now.
Old 1st January 2017
I've been playing around with it four an hour. Very nice. Holds well against the LA-3A from Tim Petherick in Nebula, which was a staple in my mixing the last one or two years. Nice, guys...
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Very solid on acoustic guitar and vocals! Looking forward to putting this through its paces.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Okay okay now they have my attention will demo soon. Can't spend no money right now but sooner then again i will demo and purchase if good. Wishing all the best of luck to black rooster. If they or psp can come out with a cl1b i will worship these companies. Hint hint black rooster.
Old 1st January 2017
I have to say - this sounds pretty good...Ive been playing with Sonimus Tuco and this....they are different and both some of the best plugin compression I've heard...

Its always a shame tho when developers insist on not adding the dry/wet mix...and sidechain HPF...both help make them so much more versatile...
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

First, congrats on the release.

From the manual:

"A readout of -14dB full scale in the plug-in equals
a level 0 dBu in the hardware."

Why? Most analog plugins that I am aware of use the -18 dB RMS reference. Is that what the original hardware is set to?
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

On pins and needles. bgood?
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
I've been working with this for a few hours today and I think it's very good. The promo material claims it has a "brighter response" but I actually hear the tone as being darker and more full sounding than the VLA-2A. The VLA-3A makes vocals very fat and upfront. You may have to dial in a little more high end compared to other compressors to get the presence you want, but the saturated highs coming out of VLA-3A sound good if you boost them.

I did comment on the pumping behavior of the VLA-2A in the other thread, and I don't hear anything like that with VLA-3A. The compression behavior seems really good. I was able to get vocals, sax and a rhythm guitar part to sit in the mix very easily with excellent presence. Strangely, I didn't like it as much on bass guitar as I thought I would. But that just may have been the tune and the part being played.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I've been working with this for a few hours today and I think it's very good. The promo material claims it has a "brighter response" but I actually hear the tone as being darker and more full sounding than the VLA-2A. The VLA-3A makes vocals very fat and upfront. You may have to dial in a little more high end compared to other compressors to get the presence you want, but the saturated highs coming out of VLA-3A sound good if you boost them.

I did comment on the pumping behavior of the VLA-2A in the other thread, and I don't hear anything like that with VLA-3A. The compression behavior seems really good. I was able to get vocals, sax and a rhythm guitar part to sit in the mix very easily with excellent presence. Strangely, I didn't like it as much on bass guitar as I thought I would. But that just may have been the tune and the part being played.
My first impressions are similar. It doesn't have added presence like I was expecting. HOWEVER...that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What I did think, at first, was that this plugin wasn't doing anything. It was like the peak reduction knob was actually just a volume knob. But I watched my meters to check dynamic range and it is definitely working. I guess that's how transparent a real 3A is?

It's definitely doing SOMETHING because on a drum room mic it has an 1176 feel to it. Not as squashed but it is definitely compressing not just reducing the volume. I'm particularly liking it on clean electric guitar and vocals.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
First, congrats on the release.

From the manual:

"A readout of -14dB full scale in the plug-in equals
a level 0 dBu in the hardware."

Why? Most analog plugins that I am aware of use the -18 dB RMS reference. Is that what the original hardware is set to?
The signal level is normalized at -18dB just like you're used to from other analog emulations.

The meter sensivity however has been shifted by 4dB as we found this gave us the sweet spot in terms of meter sensivity/headroom.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Software v1.2.1 hotfix

We just released a v1.2.1 hotfix that resolves broken session downward compatibility in the VLA-2A and the Canary. Go grab it on our website blackroosteraudio.com
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Is there an ETA when AAX will be released?
There's no ETA, but I can tell you that we're in the middle of preparing our AAX beta test. So you can expect an AAX release really soon if things turn out well.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster View Post
There's no ETA, but I can tell you that we're in the middle of preparing our AAX beta test. So you can expect an AAX release really soon if things turn out well.
Ok, cool. I will test with some wrapper. If I like it, I buy when AAX is released.

Congrats, anyway.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
My first impressions are similar. It doesn't have added presence like I was expecting. HOWEVER...that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What I did think, at first, was that this plugin wasn't doing anything. It was like the peak reduction knob was actually just a volume knob. But I watched my meters to check dynamic range and it is definitely working. I guess that's how transparent a real 3A is?

It's definitely doing SOMETHING because on a drum room mic it has an 1176 feel to it. Not as squashed but it is definitely compressing not just reducing the volume. I'm particularly liking it on clean electric guitar and vocals.
That's exactly what a leveling amplifier does
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Ok, cool. I will test with some wrapper. If I like it, I buy when AAX is released.

Congrats, anyway.
Thanks!

You can successfully load it into Pro Tools using Blue Cat Audio's patchwork. Please make sure to select the "Legacy VST support" option on the customize page in the Black Rooster Audio installer, though.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That's exactly what a leveling amplifier does
How does this compare to the opto3a?
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Head

Unable to activate plugin online. Just created my account and I have no problem logging in online. However, when trying to activate the trial and using the same login, it says login invalid. ???
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbontubedude View Post
Unable to activate plugin online. Just created my account and I have no problem logging in online. However, when trying to activate the trial and using the same login, it says login invalid. ???
you have to download and instal plugin after creating account
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbontubedude View Post
Hi ribbontubedude,

Have you checked our activation video on youtube, regarding offline activation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Q5W4saOSY

Please get back to me directly for further requests via info (at) blackroosteraudio.com
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster View Post
Hi ribbontubedude, please get back to me directly via info (at) blackroosteraudio.com
I had the same issue last night trying to activate it in Studio One. I created the account first, downloaded the plugins, and used the exact same credentials to log in for the online activation and it didn't work. I ended up just doing the offline activation, but it was time-consuming and cumbersome.

I think there's something up with the online activation process itself which may need fixing. My password is 20 characters long, so perhaps there's a disconnect between the max characters allowed on the website and what's being passed via the activation process? Maybe the online activation was down, or at a max capacity when I tried? Maybe there's a lag between the account server and the activation server where it wasn't seeing newly created accounts. Maybe it doesn't work in some hosts (I was using Studio One 3.3 x64 in Windows 10 x64). Who knows...but something was definitely amiss.

Also, the offline activation process kind of sucked because I couldn't copy the PC code and had to type it in manually, which was annoying. Then I thought I couldn't paste the activation code, but it eventually took. I think the cursor wasn't appearing in the field or something. I'd definitely be looking to iron out this process.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I had the same issue last night trying to activate it in Studio One. I created the account first, downloaded the plugins, and used the exact same credentials to log in and it didn't work. I ended up just doing the offline activation, but it was time consuming and cumbersome. I think there's something up with the online activation process itself.
Hi Funkybot,

in fact this is a known issue and to our knowledge it's currently restricted to Studio One on Mac. Our investigations revealed that it's this particular combination in which internet access gets blocked, so online activation can't be performed. We'll try to find a solution, but until then users experiencing this issue will have to use offline activation as a work around. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused on your end.

Ok, so Studio One on Win is also affected.

You can use Ctrl+V to paste the serial no from your clipboard btw.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search