The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A Dynamics Plugins
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

So true...
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9d9 View Post
So many mix knob comments. In Reaper this is a non issue. Every plugin has a mix knob. Is Reaper really the only DAW to incorporate this? That is just unbelievable.
No. In Studio One you can do parallel processing of any insert but you're not limited to just wet/dry.. you can easily run any plug-in in parallel, process the L/R of stereo channels separately or even frequency-split plug-ins for some multi-band action.

You can even use any plug-in or plug-in combination for sum/difference processing by encoding to S/D before a channel split and then decoding back to L/R afterwards.

Really nice to have that kinda stuff built into the DAW..
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Addict

In Live you can easily parallel process too. But all in all, i can't understand why developers choose not to implement such a convenient feature, just to keep the ancient design.
Old 8th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeep View Post
In Live you can easily parallel process too. But all in all, i can't understand why developers choose not to implement such a convenient feature, just to keep the ancient design.
Yes you can, but it's flawed because of phase issues.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Guru

I realise this isn't the place for this, but having tried to ask on the site and facebook page and drawn a blank, could I ask here please:

How does one go about selling on a Black Rooster plug? Or is it not possible?
Old 27th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Yes you can, but it's flawed because of phase issues.
are there phase issues if you set it up as two channels in a rack with a fade?
Old 27th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
How does one go about selling on a Black Rooster plug? Or is it not possible?
I seem to remember a post a while back saying no. Give me a second ...

This one: Black Rooster Audio releases Magnetite
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
are there phase issues if you set it up as two channels in a rack with a fade?
Hm, strange. I clearly remember that I had phase issues before... But that was very long time ago, maybe it's because they fixed the latency compensation problem in the meantime.
Old 27th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Hm, strange. I clearly remember that I had phase issues before... But that was very long time ago, maybe it's because they fixed the latency compensation problem in the meantime.
I just tried it with a plugin and got phasing...I guess if a plugin induces latency it will phase...
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
I seem to remember a post a while back saying no. Give me a second ...

This one: Black Rooster Audio releases Magnetite
How disappointing. That's me done buying Black Rooster plugs.

The most disappointing is that in trying to contact them about it I have had fu(k all communication back. never a favourite thing, being ignored as a customer, never mind in this context. Bye bye Rooster.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I just tried it with a plugin and got phasing...I guess if a plugin induces latency it will phase...
Unless it's a delay or a reverb which I tried. The rack is also adding 3 dB when the macro knob is at the middle position.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
How disappointing. That's me done buying Black Rooster plugs.

The most disappointing is that in trying to contact them about it I have had fu(k all communication back. never a favourite thing, being ignored as a customer, never mind in this context. Bye bye Rooster.
They should definitely be more upfront with their resale policy.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear
Hey Black Rooster, you have some great plug-ins (this 3A and the Pultec eqs and the V-Pre turned out better than the Slate virtual neve pre imo).

However, one thing holding them back in AAX is that they don't have proper AAX controller support for ICON (D-Command/D-Control) so they don't work with the dedicated center sections for EQs and Compressors (which are beautiful to have btw vs generic encoders, midi knob boxes or just a mouse). While ICON is officially (just) out of support in PT (but will work for years yet), the AAX Pagetables that allow the controllers to work are very simple to set up.

The guy who's worked at Black Rooster (now doing FUSE Audio plugs), if that's not the same guy who may read this, DID add ICON controller support in his compressors (inc proper GR meter feedback) after I mentioned it in his thread, so am hoping you too can fix them up in a future version. It's part of the AAX spec and is seemingly very easy to generate them using AVIDs pagetables app/sdk, makes a world of difference in which comp/eq you'll favour and reach for IF they have proper support for these great (and to this day - best selling 'console controller' of all time ; still in use by tons of studios and people like Maserati, Tchad Blake etc).

You can still map them to the bank of channel encoders (above the faders) and they have the function names, here it acts like any midi controller but super flexible, it does the job, in fact it sometimes works out even better but still, that dedicated section with built in led meters and specific knobs for the job is great!

Your eqs and comps are deserving of robust AAX support and a quality controller possibility! Dialing them on hardware controls while seeing the gain reduction on real leds next to the knobs, or the gain on the eqs, is as close to hardware as you can get in the virtual domain, your plugs sound very 'hardware' so they are crying out for this (easily implemented) extra polish of all good AAX plugs!

Anyway, all plug makers should support ICON D-Comman/control when doing AAX as it's so easy and it puts them above the competition when deciding between 2 similar quality plugs. Waves have excellent ICON support but , to me, sound sub-par vs most other plug makers and certainly vs Black Rooster (and Fuse).

Last edited by Pro5; 17th September 2018 at 08:15 PM..
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

I’m still loving this... anybody compare it against uad? Thoughts?
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I’m still loving this... anybody compare it against uad? Thoughts?
I use VLA-3A on every mix. Lots of love on bass guitar and distorted guitars!
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I use VLA-3A on every mix. Lots of love on bass guitar and distorted guitars!
I do too... just wondering how it compares to the uad
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Wow this is a CLASSY processor.

Try it on the master, people. This ain't just for snares and gats! The word "glue" is such a cliche but y'know...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search